• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Bit harsh Rob! They will be back don't worry about that!

Scotsmen,

Have you noticed that of the 2 CAS teams playing in this new "trials" system, Scots won't be playing Waverley, the other local derby.

Waverley is actually playing Riverview twice, rather than Scots at all, and yet our 1sts and 2nds played last year, go figure?

I would have thought this would be a solid local derby this year and in years to come, always used to be.

Maybe we need to put some pressure on the school heads?

Any interest in playing Waverley and thoughts how to make it happen?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotsmen,

Have you noticed that of the 2 CAS teams playing in this new "trials" system, Scots won't be playing Waverley, the other local derby.

Waverley is actually playing Riverview twice, rather than Scots at all, and yet our 1sts and 2nds played last year, go figure?

I would have thought this would be a solid local derby this year and in years to come, always used to be.

You could start negotiations by referring to the games played between the schools back in the old days of one round.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Scotsmen,

Hopefully Waverley's new headmaster is not on the same page as the previous head and then it could well happen next year.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Scotsmen,

Scots next door neighbour is a CAS school - used to play them in the school holidays.
Their MIC rugby made a pointed comment last Saturday (they played Grammar) at afternoon tea about good relations with neighbours sharing similar ideologies.
Perhaps that's your answer.
Some school heads will bow to pressure from old boys and parents irrespective of the intrinsic value of the mob's suggestion, so it's worth a go.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Scots next door neighbour is a CAS school - used to play them in the school holidays.
Their MIC rugby made a pointed comment last Saturday (they played Grammar) at afternoon tea about good relations with neighbours sharing similar ideologies.
Perhaps that's your answer.
Some school heads will bow to pressure from old boys and parents irrespective of the intrinsic value of the mob's suggestion, so it's worth a go.

Guys,

I actually did ask this very question recently to a couple of senior teachers, and believe it or not, the silly answer I got was that we don't want to play schools who import players. Fair dinkum!

For a start most schools have some imports, has always been the case, and we played Scots last year. Think these guys memories are fading.

I am sure the vast majority of Wave supports would really want to play a local strong entity.For a start many of our boys play together at club level, Easts, also in cricket, and at Randwick, so they all know each other, and often play on the same side.

Also many parents have made great friendships over quite a few years.
And why we would play any school twice, eg Riverview (and nothing aimed here at Riverview), I will never know.

With our new Headmaster, who is a Rugby fan, this question will definitely be raised.His last significant post was as vice principal at St.Josephs College,Nudgee, a breeding ground for future Wallabies.

I also know for a fact he loves his school boy rugby.
Let's see what happens as things always need to start at the top.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Guys,

I actually did ask this very question recently to a couple of senior teachers, and believe it or not, the silly answer I got was that we don't want to play schools who import players. Fair dinkum!

Outrageous - they should be reported to Naplan or Gonski

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also many parents have made great friendships over quite a few years.
And why we would play any school twice, eg Riverview (and nothing aimed here at Riverview), I will never know.

You do realise that CAS schools have spent at least the last 10 years "playing each other twice"

Its hardly a novel concept.

I hope that the new head at Waverley is as enthusiastic about school work as you indicate that he is about rugby.;)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
You do realise that CAS schools have spent at least the last 10 years "playing each other twice"

Its hardly a novel concept.

I hope that the new head at Waverley is as enthusiastic about school work as you indicate that he is about rugby.;)

Yes QH,

I was referring to the boys from different schools, ie scots/waverley/cranbrook, having played several years of club footy together, as well as club cricket.

And your reference to the importance of school work is spot on, we do want both.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Guys,
...the silly answer I got was that we don't want to play schools who import players...For a start most schools have some imports...

Seriously? Probably a much more likely scenario to suggest that most schools are (unwilling) exporters of talented players to a very small number of schools.

I personally applaud the "silly answer". If it was a more widespread attitude there might be growth in school rugby...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Seriously? Probably a much more likely scenario to suggest that most schools are (unwilling) exporters of talented players to a very small number of schools.

I personally applaud the "silly answer". If it was a more widespread attitude there might be growth in school rugby.

BAR,

Fair call re "silly answer" and yes it is the right answer, in the perfect world.
Unfortunately as you know that isn't how it works.

Reactions: BAR

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Very much so,I haven't seen Knox but have heard they have are big physical side, should be a match of two heavy weights. Irrespective of the result I believe both sides will emerge from the match, hardened from an intense, physical encounter. It will also improve their standard of play for both teams.

Who are newington's standout players this year to keep an eye out for rep jumper's ?

Homer

Larry Dwyer (12)
How many of this years crop of players are already contracted to league clubs next year and will it affect their rep chances?
Watching Crighton, Moroea, Milne etc run around in league is frustrating but from what i understand there is a tide of GPS boys being locked into league from an early age and lost to rugby.
Sorry Ed if this is inappropriate for this site, just interested to know.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Who are newington's standout players this year to keep an eye out for rep jumper's ?

From what I seen in two matches, Riverview and Oakhill ( All 20 Minutes of it, if that) they are really well-drilled side where individual brilliance, is contained within the playing structure of hard running, straight running backline who seek to get over the advantage line and then setting up good phase ball.The forwards then set up continuous pick & drive, particularly when they are in their opponents 25. The momentum can be rentless for the defending side.

Its real trench warfare tactics that is neither brilliant or stylish. Attrition through a big physical side. Whereby, their opponents are defending against a constant onslaught that is exhausting and demoralising, if a side is pinned within their own 25. Against View,New had two two tries disallowed on the view line the second half using their pick and drive. And a few handling errors in the backs, also ensured two other scoring opportunities were lost, as well as the momentum of the game for New. View were keep in the game by the individual brilliance of their backline.

I would expect that these errors will be corrected as its only about their third game together. Last year and prior to the season commencement many of us, including myself rated New as a middle place team at the best. I am happy to revise this assessment. I think New now has a real chance to steal a premiership. Still early days, but their performances against Knox and Waverly, will test how accurate this predication might be.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
B&W, do you have the New 1sts team for Sat?
Hello Catchnpass, regrettably no, However, I do have the list from last week against View. I tried to upload the list to this site but was unsuccessful. If you like and I have the time, I might be able to type out the new team from last week.

Regards

B&W

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I'm going to say Waverley by 5, but in a helter skelter high scoring game. New v Knox should be a cracker too. I'm picking New by 5 in that one.

Hi Rich E,

I did return your text, would you like to say g'day on sat at Joeys?

We will be there probably around 2pm, playing at Queens Park at 12 noon.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
From the TAS FB page:
"TAS boys Joshua J and Toby M played for Central North in the annual NSW Country 16s Rugby Championships at Crescent Head last weekend, with Joshua captaining the side. The team made Sunday's grand final and both boys were selected for the NSW Country 16s team who will tour New Zealand in July. Well done!"

Status
Not open for further replies.