• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,

I wasn't suggesting you said or ever implied that anyone wanted to lose.
My point was that everyone is trying to win, so this smoke screen term being used by people "trials" "by nature implies that these games are a bit of suck it and see stuff.

From what I have seen every team has started with their strongest outfit if they can, the tackles are fierce,and quality of play tremendous.

I support CatchnPass previous comments, and not sure why you think the CAS people think themselves as 2nd class, never given that a thought.

Let's all move on, bring on the games!

I think you'll find that it was another poster who said that CAS people thought that they were second class citizens.

I've never posted that anywhere, ever and it's a gross mirepresentation to say that I did.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
@QH may I correct you

Shores wins over the last 3 years Vs GPS Schools

2016 1 Win Vs Riverview @NB (unlucky not to get more, Vs Scots (@BH), Newington (both H&A),, Riverview @LC, Kings @NB and Joeys @NB - game called off early)

2015 Nil Wins

2014 2 Wins Kings & Riverview (unlucky not to get more , v Scots @BH in particular & Riverview @LC)) Plus a win v Kings again in a trial PLUS 1 Draw V Joeys.

And in 2014 Shore did not come last, Kings did.

Please accept my apologies re 2014. I should have done my research better rather than relying on memory.

From AAGPS website, the past 4 seasons results are:

2013 0-9
2014 2-1-7
2015 0-10
2016 1-9

For what it's worth, I thought that 2016 was a good year for Shore and I was hoping that 2017 would be better. It would seem that this may not be the case, although these results are early.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
d25a1d34-39b5-4e54-973e-f00237a02573
Apologies,foot4life, this is the first time I have uploaded a document to this site. It appears I might got it wrong.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I think you'll find that it was another poster who said that CAS people thought that they were second class citizens.

I've never posted that anywhere, ever and it's a gross mirepresentation to say that I did.

It was me...guilty as charged.
It wasn't meant in anything other than a rugby sense though.
Fairly new to the GPS/ CAS thing and just something I'd picked up on in the 3 or so years I've been supporting.
CAS sides desperate to be recognised and seen as good as GPS teams.
A few years ago Cranbrook and Scots were both leading their competitions and the 'battle of the hill' had a bit of added importance to those at the foot of the slopes.....alas it was not close....I lost count at 50....of course that was then and by no means a reflection of the 2 competitions today:)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Did I miss something, didn't Waverley Firsts get beaten 38 to 7 by Kings last week.

Surfs up,

This hasn't been brought up before because Kings were to good on the day.
Yesterday Waverley had several key players back who didn't play against Kings,and they count.
So yesterday we saw what they can do, they will certainly be tested by Joeys at Joeys, we will see.

Shore played hard all day,never gave up, but I think it's fair to say that any
time a school puts 60+ on a GPS 1ST team, they are probably ok.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
It was me.guilty as charged.
It wasn't meant in anything other than a rugby sense though.
Fairly new to the GPS/ CAS thing and just something I'd picked up on in the 3 or so years I've been supporting.
CAS sides desperate to be recognised and seen as good as GPS teams.
A few years ago Cranbrook and Scots were both leading their competitions and the 'battle of the hill' had a bit of added importance to those at the foot of the slopes...alas it was not close..I lost count at 50..of course that was then and by no means a reflection of the 2 competitions today:)

That's ok Wrsitman, and QuickHands I apologise for incorrectly quoting you.
I guess the good thing is there is still some passion alive and well in rugby, even on the net!

Bring on next week!

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Link to yesterday's Joeys V Scots game at BVH. Don't miss the hit on the Scots winger at 32secs in. Enjoy.

Thank you Brumbies rugby.
A wonderful edit.
Did you manage to capture any footage of Scots with the ball in hand, other than when they got monstered in the tackle?
Hard to believe the match was as close as 31-28 based on these highlights.
Having a wild guess that you might be a Joeys man.
Great camera work though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That's ok Wrsitman, and QuickHands I apologise for incorrectly quoting you.
I guess the good thing is there is still some passion alive and well in rugby, even on the net!

Bring on next week!

I'm hoping that Newington v Knox lives up to expectations. It promises to be a very competitive day of rugby - hopefully right through the grades down to the 13Gs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Relevant games for this weekend:

Riverview v Scots at Riverview

Kings v Shore at Parramatta

Joeys v Waverley at Hunters Hill

Knox v Newington at Warrawee

High v SACS at McKay

Grammar v Barker at Weigall

It goes without saying, that any trip to Hunters Hill is a difficult assignment. Will be interesting to see how Shore go this week after a big loss against what seems to be a very strong Waverley outfit.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
It will be the ultimate test for the double V next week. Can the wild leaguie mongrel talent of the Death Valley boys get over the highly drilled rugby purists from HH? If I had to call it I'd say Joeys by 5, but would not be stunned to see a Waves win.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
It will be the ultimate test for the double V next week. Can the wild leaguie mongrel talent of the Death Valley boys get over the highly drilled rugby purists from HH? If I had to call it I'd say Joeys by 5, but would not be stunned to see a Waves win.

I'm going to say Waverley by 5, but in a helter skelter high scoring game. New v Knox should be a cracker too. I'm picking New by 5 in that one.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Joeys beat Scots at Bellevue Hill (albeit in a trial) for the first time in yonks and now Waverley are being talked up the beat Joeys, AT HH NO LESS!!!!

If that comes to pass, good effort from Waverley.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Joeys led by 5 tries to 2 (one of which was an intercept) so there was certainly some dominance there but Scots fought back, which they traditionally do. Yassmin was destructive (he was cramping up at the end, probably from having to run so far!) but Scots are going to have to do a little better up front than they did. The Joeys inside backs D was immense for the most part. I was a little surprised by the Joeys effort (ie I wasn't that optimistic going into the match) cf what I saw against Marist Canberra, although I think Joeys fielded a very experimental side in that match. The video highlights will undoubtedly tend to have a more cerise slant to them but that's more to do with the audience they are targeted towards. Nevertheless, for those who love rugby thought some would be better than none! I look forward to seeing Waves at HH next week. Does anyone know the last time Waves played at HH?

S

sidelineview

There appear to be a lot of very upbeat CAS supporters venting years of grievance as self defined second class citizens.
My view is that the results are very much as expected.
There appear to be 5 competitive GPS teams and 2 from CAS.
This has likely been the case for a number of years.
The GPS comp has more depth, the CAS comp has always had a couple of good sides who could compete with the best of the GPS.
To date Knox have had 2 narrow wins and Waverley appear to have the makings of a strong side but are yet to be properly tested.
Scots play Knox in a few weeks time so will have the chance to see the best of the CAS for myself.
Scots will need to improve given what I read of Knox.
Looking forward to a close game.. but can we please restore a little balance to the commentary.
The GPS is and always will be the premiere competition;)

Personally, it's of no consequence to me if the GPS is the premiere competition or not.
At the end of the day the GPS Premiership trophy is no more or less of a prize to the victorious GPS school than the CAS Henry Plume Shield is to the winner of the CAS comp.
However, according to recent history, you are right in pointing out that more GPS schools are in the hunt for the Premiership trophy than the 2 or 3 horse CAS race.

Many people have become accustomed to the
two-round competitions in both Associations and protest the change. I'm one of those. Some of the best games of rugby I have seen, and many people will agree, are the second round clashes between Waverley and Knox at Death Valley.

Those games have epitimised the intense tribalism and passion of schoolboy rugby. The atmosphere is second to none and being a part of those days has been the making of great memories and folklore in Waverley's rugby history.

Certain second round clashes between GPS schools have been just as memorable and have been woven into the rich folklore of those individual schools.
We are being robbed of those clashes and the second-chance opportunities to reverse first round losses. In a one-round comp home ground advantage will play a very significant role in results.

In general terms the GPS comp is stronger than the CAS comp as you've pointed out, however CAS U16s and Opens Rep teams have proven to be competitive in recent years, so the results of those matches are never a foregone conclusion.
However, the truth is GPS teams are always favourites with the bookies and GPS supporters always expect to win.
But who will ever forget the CAS U16s defeating GPS on the bell in 2014 in the inaugural U16s championships .... sorry; i had to throw that in.

As far as individual talent is concerned more GPS players go on to make further Rep honours than CAS players.
For example 21 GPS players made NSW Opens 1s or 2s last season compared to 10 CAS players.
8 GPS players made the Baa baas compared to 1 CAS player.
I'm not sure of the stats for the Aussie schoolboys and U16s NSW teams.

It's true that some GPS posters have bragged about trial results against CAS schools in the past but personally i have never placed much importance in those pre-premiership trial match results. I've always thought it was a bit of a wank for anyone to boast about trial game results.

However this years series of trial matches are obviously being taken more seriously but there's still no prize to be won at the end, so these trial games cant compare with those that will be played in the new one-round comp.
It's interesting, but .....

If this new 'trial'of trial games manages to place the weaker GPS and CAS schools in a more appropriate division so they dont get smashed most weeks, then that's a good thing, but next season needs to be a fair dinkum comp regardless.

I sincerely hope this 'trial' lasts only one season and something positive and concrete comes out of it.

moa999

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All depends on what time period you are talking about.
Back when there were actually 8 teams in GPS 1sts, both comps were one round with a similar lengthy pre-season to this year.

I actually wonder whether you would be better having 2/3 trials, then running the CAS/GPS comps straight out starting in May.

And then an interschools divisional - say 4GPS/2CAS in Div1 (maybe swap out one for ISA). Then a Div2, 3 etc.

The history of the GPS / CAS comps is still there, but you are also using it for rankings for an additional tournament, albeit scheduling would be a nightmare

You end up with less trials, and the stronger GPS teams play each other twice

Status
Not open for further replies.