• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I've heard good things about Waverley this year.
Joeys have a competitive side.
The test for Waverley will be whether they have the fitness levels required.
Waverley teams have at times been a bit short of match fitness early season.
Joeys will be relentless.
It will indeed be interesting

Wristman,

Joeys are Joeys for very good reasons, dating back 100 years, no one ever takes them lightly.

I think when the change occurred this year ie no 2 round comp for GPS and CAS, people came out of the wood work and bagged it.

Some, who have since gone very silent said that Knox and Waverley would not win 1 game, there were duck eggs and "funny"comments every where.
So far these 2 schools are 3 from 4, and it will definitely grow.

This is A GOOD THING FOR SCHOOL BOY RUGBY full stop IMO.

ALL of the CAS schools now train hard and early, so I can't see the Waverley or Knox teams running out of gas, it won't happen.
Knox and Waverley are superbly trained and have great gyms etc at school.
A number of the Waverley boys also play league for the junior rooster teams, which IMO, is probably even harder than rugby, so they are super fit and when they tackle OMG.

Let's hope the weather is fine for this next week end and we all see lots of great school boy rugby from all the games and schools.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The hit Tom Eveleigh put on his opposite number was the best I've seen for some time. Non sensical that it was penalised.

If/when Scots get their set piece sorted they'll be a handful. A very large side who realign in defence very quickly.

Funnily enough though Rob, the more pressure you get put under, the more mistakes you make.

Was also interesting to see Joeys scrum get ascendency

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
went out to joeys to see my mate from Harden's son play for st Gregs

and unfortunately due to an earlier commitment barely saw any of the game, but St Gregs beat Joeys 2nds, 5- Nil

then watched Marist Canberra beat Joeys 22-12

and Marist played great, and Joeys dropped that much ball, I never seen anything like it

so not sure how good Joeys hopes in 2017 are looking

having said that the Joeys number 1 was very good, and backrowers (as you expect with Joeys) did a mountain of work

however it has become the customary story (at least of recent years) where Joeys look slick in the warm up, then get monstered in the game

the Joeys backs were mostly half-back size . the 15 seemed like he could step his way through a bindy field, but he wouldn't have been out of place in a under 15s side

not sure who was wearing 16 . one of the centres was always dangerous

xavier ryan seemed one of the better backs, but then got taken off . not sure why ...although both teams were cramping up, so probably not much in his leaving the field

anyway I continue to wonder what Joeys are doing wrong (in Ones) . are they over-training, doing too intense pre match prep, picking the wrong body shapes (too many half backs/backrowers)

SonnyDillWilliams can you give us an update on your thoughts of Joeys 1st XV season for 2017. Be interesting to see what your thoughts are now considering they beat Scots today !

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Just hedging my bets @QH...my initial reaction was zero..;)

Azzuri, Quick Hands, and RichE, we got a bagging about how Knox and Waverley couldn't possibly compete against the vastly superior GPS teams,.
Most of you said that,but not all.

Azzuri, your thoughts? you were the most vocal and condescending about any teams challenging any of the CAS teams.

Yes we were at Shore today and the pies etc, and wonderful service by the kind parents was truly wonderful,thanks to all of them.

But

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Azzuri, Quick Hands, and RichE, we got a bagging about how Knox and Waverley couldn't possibly compete against the vastly superior GPS teams,.

Azzuri, your thoughts? you were the most vocal and condescending about any teams challenging any of the CAS teams.

Yes we were at Shore today and the pies etc, and wonderful service by the kind parents was truly wonderful,thanks to all of them.

The competition/games were truly great.

But

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

Azzuri, your thoughts? you were the most vocal and condescending about any teams challenging any of the GPS teams.

Yes Azzurie at Shore today and the pies etc, and wonderful service by the kind parents was truly wonderful,thanks to all of them.

So far the 2 CAS teams (Knox and Waverley) have won 3/4 games against 1st XV games. as opposed to the duck egg , ie no win, posts by several gentlemen.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The hit Tom Eveleigh put on his opposite number was the best I've seen for some time. Non sensical that it was penalised.

If/when Scots get their set piece sorted they'll be a handful. A very large side who realign in defence very quickly.

Was also interesting to see Joeys scrum get ascendancy

The tackle was deemed fair (worth watching the highlights real when uploaded), the penalty was for an advantage from an earlier Joeys infringement.

Scots set piece wasn't good. The line out was a mess and cost them dearly. Scrum held (but just)

Joeys forwards went about their business in a workmanlike manner with a huge work rate by all. Cant single anyone out for special mention. They set a terrific platform for their back line.

The backline; Dowling, Creagh, Eveleigh and Reilly were really impressive and let the outside backs finish well. 2 tries each to the wingers.

Nick Chan (Full back) got hit very heavily (concussion) at the 10 minute mark leaving the field. Joe Kandalaft came on having played a full game in 2nds and was very impressive in attack. Backed himself against a much larger opponent on numerous occasions.

A few of the U16's played Firsts and Seconds for Joeys and didn't look out of their depth. GPS U16's Presidents teams will be strong this year.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
A disappointing day at Bellevue Hill for the Scots faithful.
Make no mistake Joeys thoroughly deserved their win but Scots were their own worst enemy.
Sloppy line out work, dropped passes and fumbles at critical times.
This was a classic Joeys side of recent years. Well drilled, energetic and quick to pounce on errors.
Scots didn't handle the pressure from Joeys at all well.
It's back to the drawing board for Scots.
The win would have been bigger were it not for 3 tries from Billy Smith and Tom Yassmin who made the most of the patchy ball they received. Both are powerful runners who will be a handful for opposing teams this year.
If Scots can sort out the line outs, swing the ball wide quickly and give these 2 quality ball at pace they could still threaten but..there is a lot of work to be done.

I bet your glad it's a one round comp this year. I'm sure when the money is on Brian Smith will have his troops cherry ripe . Joey's have bragging rights at the moment ,well done to them and well played. I still prefer the 2 round Comp even though the CAS teams are going well against the GPS . If scots win the game that counts against Joey's nobody will care about the trial result which seems a little bit unjust in the current format.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys Overall Results 6 May

40 matches, 25 wins 1 draw and 14 losses

Opens 11 wins 1 draw
16s 3 wins 4 losses
15s 6 wins 2 losses
14s 3 wins 3 losses
13s 2 wins 5 losses

All results
1sts 31 V Scots 28 Won
2nds 17 V Scots 17 Draw
3rds 27 V Trinity 1sts 24 Won
4ths 21 V Scots 3rds 5 Won
5ths 41 V Trinity 2nds 7 Won
6ths 17 V Scots 7 Won
7ths 78 V Trinity 3rds 0 Won
8ths 61 V Trinity 4ths 5 Won
9ths 17 V Scots 12 Won
10ths 28 V Scots 26 Won
11ths 36 V Scots 10 Won
12ths 26 V Barker 19 Won
16A 12 V Scots 29 Lost
16B 26 V Scots 10 Won
16C 26 V Trinity 16A 38 Lost
16D 34 V Scots 17 Won
16E 17 V Trinity 16B 15 Won
16F 0 V Scots 30 Lost
16G 12 V Scots 45 Lost
15A 64 V Scots 0 Won
15B 12 V Trinity 15A 20 Lost
15C 61 V Trinity 15B 12 Won
15D 46 V Scots 5 Won
15E 14 V Riverview 15D 28 Lost
15F 31 V Trinity 15C 12 Won
15G 29 V Scots 27 Won
15H 60 V Riverview 15F 5 Won
14A 36 V Scots 12 Won
14B 19 V Scots 0 Won
14C 0 V Trinity 14A 65 Lost
14D 24 V Scots 22 Won
14E 15 V Trinity 14B 24 Lost
14F 10 V Scots 34 Lost
13A 35 V Scots 12 Won
13B 0 V Scots 17 Lost
13C 12 V Trinity 13A 59 Lost
13D 5 V Scots 53 Lost
13E 5 V Trinity 13B 51 Lost
13F 0 V Scots 65 Lost
13G 20 V Scots 17 Won

Ruggernut

Frank Nicholson (4)
Could someone please explain how this new season works. Are these trial games at the moment or is this a new (combined) GPS/CAS Comp that I obviously know nothing about! :p

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^
The GPS and CAS are playing only one round instead of two. The trial games are not part of a new comp.

The GPS haven't been playing two rounds for very long compared to the CAS, so they're going back to a familiar system.

It's a big change for the CAS though.

The advantage of a one-round competition is that there can be more interesting trials against teams from the other Associations.

The advantage of a two-round competition is that you can lose a game and still be competitive.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
New v Riverview 1sts was a very entertaining game in which the lead changed on a number of occasions. Both teams were equally matched across the park. The New backs are much slicker than the backline of 2016, but the forwards aren't as dominant. So, the forward battle was about 50/50 and both teams had plenty of speed out wide to score tries.

New led 22-20 and scored a try on the bell to win 29-20.

Seconds was another see-sawing game in which Riverview kicked a penalty with a couple of minutes to go to lead 32-29. New had a number of kickable penalties before and after this, but elected to kick for touch and turned the ball over each time.

From what I can tell, a very even day of rugby with most scores reasonably close over the day. The only blow-outs in the higher grades were the 13As and 14As and each school won one of these.

Credit to the players and coaches of both schools on a great day of rugby.

Yes two good backlines although from my reading of the game, different types of backlines. View has a speedily, nimble side stepping of group of backs. Very much in tradition of Randwick backlines.

Newington on the other hand play their backs in the tradition of the Pacific Islander side step. They punch up as physical ball carriers, allowing their forwards to begin their pick and drive game. But, they still look very slick and demonstrate a relentless momentum, precision with a high level of physical intensity and impact. Tackling the New backline will be for opposing sides be an experience that requires physical courage and high fitness levels.

But the View backs showed that even given limited possession a skilful backline can score tries against them and stay in the game. Joeys did this last year in their 48-47 win over New in one of the most exciting games of Schoolboy Rugby I ever saw.

As Quick Hands states an even game until the last 10 -15 minutes, where the score was 20-17 in favour of View. Here, New's heavier bulk and physical strength assert itself to obtain two tries. I was standing on the lower end of the embarkment parallel to the View's line where they were defending for dear life. I could see on the faces of the View Players, that they had been through a immense physical trial.

This Newington side is certainty better as reviewed by "Quick Hands" than last year team. Still early days, but I am going stick to "stick my neck out" and rate this New side as a potential premiership challenger to Joeys. Time will tell, but I can only see this New Side getting better as a Cohort as they gel together.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

But

If you go back and check, I think you'll find that Shore were identified as the team which would be beaten by CAS schools. They've won one GPS game in 3 or 4 years.

The problem with some of these inter-association games is that some schools treat them as "trials" while others treat them more seriously.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure about the penalty count - Scots had plenty for Joeys supposedly hanging onto the ball.

Scots' errors were caused by some big defence by the forwards who never took a backward step. What they lacked in size they made up with ticker and speed. Also some of the hits that centre Everleigh did sent shudders around the ground.

This was only Joeys' third game and if they tighten the defence out wide they will only keep improving. Still some players to come back also.

Smith and Williams outstanding for Scots.

Joeys might have just got up this time but they have awakened the giant and a very motivated Scots will be on hand for the first comp game. The plus for Joeys is they know now they can be a force this year with a very young squad.

End of the day though it was just a trial.

Next week Waverley will be a very big challenge it sounds like.

Scots had less than 30 percent possession all game ... penalty count twenty something to Joeys and at least 30 unforced turnovers by Scots ... was like watching an under 9 game from a Scots perspective and I'm not exaggerating ... also 3 top level back players out injured they have plenty to improve on ... not taking anything away from Joeys who were superbly prepared and were clinical all afternoon .... Joeys all played superbly but 10 was outstanding, 14 and 13 were also everywhere ... they will take some beating this season

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Joeys Overall Results 6 May

40 matches, 25 wins 1 draw and 14 losses

Opens 11 wins 1 draw
16s 3 wins 4 losses
15s 6 wins 2 losses
14s 3 wins 3 losses
13s 2 wins 5 losses

Thank you for providing the full details. SJ's depth is a little terrifying. Twelve open teams!

From a thirds comp perspective, the two games of relevance are the SJ 3rds 27-24 victory over Trinity firsts and the 4ths 21-5 win over Scots 3rds.

It's hard at this point to go past Joeys as favourites in the thirds. Who might beat them? Newington are not playing. while Scots on these results appear way behind.

TAS had a convincing win over SBHS, but that's not a good test. The triangular Newington/KWS/TAS results suggest that TAS's standard is about 60 points behind Newington Firsts. That's thirds competitive, but is it enough?

On reports, Grammar's loss to Cranbrook firsts was not a disgrace, indicating areas where SGS must improve. However, am I right in thinking that Cranbrook is weak this year? The shift in the forthcoming Grammar game against Barker from the 1sts to the seconds provides some indication of relative strength given that Barker is strong.

Of the other teams, I don't have a feel for Iggies or Kings, while Shore looks weak. So my best guess at the moment is Joeys 1, TAS, Grammar, Iggies, Kings in the next block, with Shore and SBHS at the tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.