• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If you go back and check, I think you'll find that Shore were identified as the team which would be beaten by CAS schools. They've won one GPS game in 3 or 4 years.

The problem with some of these inter-association games is that some schools treat them as "trials" while others treat them more seriously.

Maybe Quick Hands, but it looks fair dinkum to me, and I really don't think anyone wants to lose.

Ruggernut

Frank Nicholson (4)
^^^^^^^^
The GPS and CAS are playing only one round instead of two. The trial games are not part of a new comp.

The GPS haven't been playing two rounds for very long compared to the CAS, so they're going back to a familiar system.

It's a big change for the CAS though.

The advantage of a one-round competition is that there can be more interesting trials against teams from the other Associations.

The advantage of a two-round competition is that you can lose a game and still be competitive.

Thanks for the explanation. So the Knox vs New game next Saturday, is that a trial or for competition points?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
If you go back and check, I think you'll find that Shore were identified as the team which would be beaten by CAS schools. They've won one GPS game in 3 or 4 years.

The problem with some of these inter-association games is that some schools treat them as "trials" while others treat them more seriously.
I've been at both the Knox matches and have zero doubt from what I witnessed and in talking to the boys and parents at the after functions that both teams and coaches gave it everything they had eg, Kings took 2 penalty goals yesterday rather than use as an opportunity to test their lineout close to the Knox try line. Perhaps some in GPS land could be as gracious as the GPS players have been in defeat and acknowledge that maybe just maybe the CAS wins over GPS went to the best team on the day.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
It will be a very physical test for Knox against what appears to be a large and strong New team. Hopefully the game will be as competitive and entertaining as those against View and Kings.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I've been at both the Knox matches and have zero doubt from what I witnessed and in talking to the boys and parents at the after functions that both teams and coaches gave it everything they had eg, Kings took 2 penalty goals yesterday rather than use as an opportunity to test their lineout close to the Knox try line. Perhaps some in GPS land could be as gracious as the GPS players have been in defeat and acknowledge that maybe just maybe the CAS wins over GPS went to the best team on the day.

There appear to be a lot of very upbeat CAS supporters venting years of grievance as self defined second class citizens.
My view is that the results are very much as expected.
There appear to be 5 competitive GPS teams and 2 from CAS.
This has likely been the case for a number of years.
The GPS comp has more depth, the CAS comp has always had a couple of good sides who could compete with the best of the GPS.
To date Knox have had 2 narrow wins and Waverley appear to have the makings of a strong side but are yet to be properly tested.
Scots play Knox in a few weeks time so will have the chance to see the best of the CAS for myself.
Scots will need to improve given what I read of Knox.
Looking forward to a close game.... but can we please restore a little balance to the commentary.
The GPS is and always will be the premiere competition;)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
It will be a very physical test for Knox against what appears to be a large and strong New team. Hopefully the game will be as competitive and entertaining as those against View and Kings.

Very much so,I haven't seen Knox but have heard they have are big physical side, should be a match of two heavy weights. Irrespective of the result I believe both sides will emerge from the match, hardened from an intense, physical encounter. It will also improve their standard of play for both teams.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe Quick Hands, but it looks fair dinkum to me, and I really don't think anyone wants to lose.

I didn't at any point suggest, or even imply, that anyone "wanted to lose."

So basing your response on a blatant and deliberate misrepresentation is hardly a good way to mount an argument.

A casual reading of the past few pages would indicate that one group of supporters is placing more emphasis on these games than another group.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Obviously the wins on the day went to the better team on the day. I don't think that anyone has suggested otherwise.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

@QH may I correct you

Shores wins over the last 3 years Vs GPS Schools

2016 1 Win Vs Riverview @NB (unlucky not to get more, Vs Scots (@BH), Newington (both H&A),, Riverview @LC, Kings @NB and Joeys @NB - game called off early)

2015 Nil Wins

2014 2 Wins Kings & Riverview (unlucky not to get more , v Scots @BH in particular & Riverview @LC)) Plus a win v Kings again in a trial PLUS 1 Draw V Joeys.

And in 2014 Shore did not come last, Kings did.

Granted a somewhat disappointing performance record but a lot better than your summation.

Looks like the boys might struggle this season. I am told some boys are out for the season (Burrows being 1 who I really rated in the back row)

You well know the reason Shore is not as competitive as the other 5 schools, and it is not because of lack of depth as Shore would have more boys playing rugby than most rugby playing schools. (More than Kings, New & Scots, I am sure)

I think the new setup is a very good initiative. The more different schools play different schools the more opportunities there are for competitive match ups and Schools like Shore should find some more success playing with other associations, (but wasn't to be v Waverly)

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Perhaps some in GPS land could be as gracious as the GPS players have been in defeat and acknowledge that maybe just maybe the CAS wins over GPS went to the best team on the day.

@CNP its a very good thing to see Rugby strong and thriving at other schools and not becoming the thing of a diminishing number of of schools (now only 5 apparently),

Well done to Knox and Waverly,

And by the way I was always fearful of the Shore Waverly matchup

Think Waverly might be in for a very good season

Drop Kick 95'

Frank Row (1)
A Disappointing end to the match for Trinity 1sts against a gallant, relentless Joeys 3rds side at Trinity, 24-27, truly a game of 2 halves. TGS looked dangerous every time with ball in hand and dominated with their superior size and physicality, particularly #14 who scored 4 tries in the first half, almost earning a future CAS call-up in one half.

Down 24-5 at half time, i don't know what message or scolding Joeys were told at the break, but they did come back firing with 2 hard earned tries. Trailing 24-17 with 5 to go, Joeys were surviving enormous pressure from Trinity's pack, but smarter decisions at the breakdown kept the pill away from TGS for most of the 2nd half. Joeys #15, #14 were quite impressive, running evasive lines and constantly creating something from nothing. Try to #14 in the corner, conversion missed, brought the game to 24-22, with minutes remaining.

Joeys suddenly had a spring in the step and great team work led to their replacement prop over in the corner in last play, stealing the game 24-27. A classic joeys win. Promising signs for Trinity, better decision making will make them a hard team to contain in the future.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why can't the GPS and CAS just agree formally to have their own competitions within a larger competition that incorporates all of the schools? It would make things far more interesting.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I didn't at any point suggest, or even imply, that anyone "wanted to lose."

So basing your response on a blatant and deliberate misrepresentation is hardly a good way to mount an argument.

A casual reading of the past few pages would indicate that one group of supporters is placing more emphasis on these games than another group.;)

QH,

I wasn't suggesting you said or ever implied that anyone wanted to lose.
My point was that everyone is trying to win, so this smoke screen term being used by people "trials" "by nature implies that these games are a bit of suck it and see stuff.

From what I have seen every team has started with their strongest outfit if they can, the tackles are fierce,and quality of play tremendous.

I support CatchnPass previous comments, and not sure why you think the CAS people think themselves as 2nd class, never given that a thought.

Let's all move on, bring on the games!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

Would that be the winning group QH? You may recall saying after last year's trial where Joeys d Knox: "Based on yesterday's results, the gulf between GPS and CAS is wider than ever" There's no 'it was only a trial' qualifier in that:)

Status
Not open for further replies.