• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Season

Stan Wickham (3)
I think there were 3 maybe 4 year 10 boys on the field at the end.

My personal opinion is that Joeys have treated all the trials as genuine trials and have given as many boys as they feel are capable an opportunity to impress.

There were mutterings around early form against Marist Canberra and The Southport School. On the scoreboard Joeys lost both (albeit narrowly) but what wasn't recognised was they rotated through 20-30 players through each match!

Joeys settled their squads for what I would call the "competition" trials; Scots, Waverley, Shore, Knox and View. Running on between 3 - 5 reserves per match to test them out.

They however have also called up a range of players due to injury, up to 6 for some games.

Within what I would call their Firsts "quorum" they have moved players around in various positions (some as many as 3 different starting positions) to give other boys the opportunity to be tested.

How many schools can have the luxury to have their front row play, second row! and back row? Jansen, Heaven and Yates

Or able to play in the forwards and backs? Quinn, Scolari and Houston?

Likewise a number of backs interchanging centre, wing or fullback? O'Brien, Chan, Carey and Shortis.

This investment in the season in my opinion is prudent and we will see the merit of that strategy in time.

Joeys have a substantial depth of talent. Some outstanding players have really stepped up giving "nice selection headaches". Some will be disappointed by not making the starting XV but geez they will make for some exciting "finishers"

OK then - that makes sense although have they left their run too late to get the right combinations? Also means that some of the starting side would have rarely played a full game? Can understand the strategy on one hand but can see it could come back to haunt them in the competition because there was much chopping and changing from what you've indicated?

There must be some talent there then because some of those replacements that came on in the second half certainly upped the ante with mongrel and enthusiasm albeit with fresh legs. Wouldn't like to be the selectors when they name the sides.

View will be better for the run but missed Easy who makes a big difference in the backs. The defence needs fixing asap as there were far too many misses. If they can, they will compete very earnestly and could be the surprise packet and should not be written off just yet.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Rollaway11, I would be very surprised to see no Newington players in GPS 1 team. Admittedly I haven't seen them play. Your selections by school S (5), J (4), I (3), K (2), E (1), N (0), T (0), G (0), H (0)​
I think the Kings boys would disagree with only 2 reps vs 5 and 4 from scots and Joeys, given Kings trial form. Kings and scots should have the most reps across gps 1s and 2s.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)

My personal opinion is that Joeys have treated all the trials as genuine trials and have given as many boys as they feel are capable an opportunity to impress.

There were mutterings around early form against Marist Canberra and The Southport School. On the scoreboard Joeys lost both (albeit narrowly) but what wasn't recognised was they rotated through 20-30 players through each match!

Joeys settled their squads for what I would call the "competition" trials; Scots, Waverley, Shore, Knox and View. Running on between 3 - 5 reserves per match to test them out.

They however have also called up a range of players due to injury, up to 6 for some games.

Within what I would call their Firsts "quorum" they have moved players around in various positions (some as many as 3 different starting positions) to give other boys the opportunity to be tested.

How many schools can have the luxury to have their front row play, second row! and back row? Jansen, Heaven and Yates

Likewise a number of backs interchanging centre, wing or fullback? O'Brien, Chan, Carey and Shortis.

This investment in the season in my opinion is prudent and we will see the merit of that strategy in time.

Joeys have a substantial depth of talent. Some outstanding players have really stepped up giving "nice selection headaches". Some will be disappointed by not making the starting XV but geez they will make for some exciting "finishers"
Respect for coaching at Joeys but other schools have also tested a lot of players. Wav showed up the smaller Joeys backs. I think the big Knox forwards got on top of the Kings forwards but then Kings beat the large new forwards. Kings also grind out a tight win against scots. Kings also beat Wav, albeit early. Kings and Scots are favourites in my mind but we will find out the actual results soon. Are Joeys playing Kings and Scots at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
Respect for coaching at Joeys but other schools have also tested a lot of players. Wav showed up the smaller Joeys backs. I think the big Knox forwards got on top of the Kings forwards but then Kings beat the large new forwards. Kings also grind out a tight win against scots. Kings also beat Wav, albeit early. Kings and Scots are favourites in my mind but we will find out the actual results soon. Are Joeys playing Kings and Scots at home?

Some good points. However, seeing that Scots have lost to both Kings and Joeys I'd say that they are the two favourites at the moment with Scots not far behind.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

AS,

As a Waverley supporter here are a few thoughts re View and joeys.

I have watched last weeks game View v Joeys at Iggies.
IMO the best game I have seen this year! A beauty!
(A rivalry which has the ultimate history). Love those Catholics!

People call these "trials"essentially for their own personal agenda, but no they are absolutely real, full stop.

Both of these teams played non-stop in a frenetic game with some high scoring and also some very serious defence, again and again.

I thought View has lifted well and truly from its season start.
Rorke is really something, as we know, and proven again.
The View forward pack was immense but not quite as agile as the joe boys to the breakdown. Views strength is clearly it's back line.

I ran into an old business mate at the Joeys v Waves game, and he told me that the Joey's teams this year is young, lots of year 11 boys, "
"for next year". Mind you this was after a slight Waves victory.

I do though believe this and thought the joe boys were super at the view game.The little replacement winger certainly caught my eye, along with Chan the centre, the no.2 and no 8.

I think you may find joeys will find themselves at the pointy end of the table at the end of the GPS comp for 2017.

Just an insight from an objective set of eyes.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Some good points. However, seeing that Scots have lost to both Kings and Joeys I'd say that they are the two favourites at the moment with Scots not far behind.

Those 3 teams are favourites. Re scots v Joeys, I like scots despite their loss to Joeys because of the size of the Joeys loss to Wav, and Scots other convincing results, excl Kings. Bring on the comp! I would like to know if Joeys are playing Kings and Scots at home.

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
AS,

People call these "trials"essentially for their own personal agenda, but no they are absolutely real, full stop.

Both of these teams played non-stop in a frenetic game with some high scoring and also some very serious defence, again and again.

The View forward pack was immense but not quite as agile as the joe boys to the breakdown. Views strength is clearly it's back line.

I ran into an old business mate at the Joeys v Waves game, and he told me that the Joey's teams this year is young, lots of year 11 boys, "

I do though believe this and thought the joe boys were super at the view game.The little replacement winger certainly caught my eye, along with Chan the centre, the no.2 and no 8.

I think you may find joeys will find themselves at the pointy end of the table at the end of the GPS comp for 2017.

I have to agree. I must point out though that Chan was playing fullback on Saturday. Played a great game their in attack and defence. good to see from the youngster. Zack Carey was at inside centre on the weekend. He played a solid game and got some great offloads. Really good to watch.

The Hooker for Joeys, Bourchier, had a great game. A strong, agile forward with lots of pace and good ball skills. IMO I think he was the best on field on Saturday and will be a player to look out for this year.

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
Those 3 teams are favourites. Re scots v Joeys, I like scots despite their loss to Joeys because of the size of the Joeys loss to Wav, and Scots other convincing results, excl Kings. Bring on the comp! I would like to know if Joeys are playing Kings and Scots at home.

Joeys have Kings away and Scots at home.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I have to agree. I must point out though that Chan was playing fullback on Saturday. Played a great game their in attack and defence. good to see from the youngster. Zack Carey was at inside centre on the weekend. He played a solid game and got some great offloads. Really good to watch.

The Hooker for Joeys, Bourchier, had a great game. A strong, agile forward with lots of pace and good ball skills. IMO I think he was the best on field on Saturday and will be a player to look out for this year.

SBS,

I stand corrected about positions, but you knew who I meant, which you picked up.

I will make a wild prediction and that is :

Joeys will win the GPS comp by defeating Scots at Joeys home!

P.S. You can thank the Waves for waking up the giant.

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
SBS,

I stand corrected about positions, but you knew who I meant, which you picked up.

I will make a wild prediction and that is :

Joeys will win the GPS comp by defeating Scots at Joeys home!

P.S. You can thank the Waves for waking up the giant.

Wouldn't that be great to see. I sure hope you're right!

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Those 3 teams are favourites. Re scots v Joeys, I like scots despite their loss to Joeys because of the size of the Joeys loss to Wav, and Scots other convincing results, excl Kings. Bring on the comp! I would like to know if Joeys are playing Kings and Scots at

On "trial" form, Joeys and Kings, who've yet to meet each other in 2017, but who've both beaten Scots, deserve equal favouritism for the season proper, with Scots on the next line of betting.

The scheduling gods have smiled in that these three teams each play one of the others at home, and the other one away.

The JoeBoys host Scots in Rnd1, and then head out to Nth Parra a month later in Rnd2.

Scots, having played Joeys away in Rnd1, will host Kings at BH in Rnd4.

Am not discounting any of the other matches in the least, because in such a shortened Season, every result will impact, but IMO, the Championship and finishing order will be decided on the outcome of these three matches.

And with further smiling of the scheduling gods, I do like (a lot) that in the final Rnd5, Joeys host Iggies at HH in the last GPS outing for their respective Y12's. Can't help but think there'll be a minimum 5,000 in attendance irrespective, and if the JoeBoys do as suggested, attendances may crack the 10,000 mark! (Uncle Lee and ACS will have their deck-chairs set up days in advance!) ;)

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
On "trial" form, Joeys and Kings, who've yet to meet each other in 2017, but who've both beaten Scots, deserve equal favouritism for the season proper, with Scots on the next line of betting.

The scheduling gods have smiled in that these three teams each play one of the others at home, and the other one away.

The JoeBoys host Scots in Rnd1, and then head out to Nth Parra a month later in Rnd2.

Scots, having played Joeys away in Rnd1, will host Kings at BH in Rnd4.

Am not discounting any of the other matches in the least, because in such a shortened Season, every result will impact, but IMO, the Championship and finishing order will be decided on the outcome of these three matches.

And with further smiling of the scheduling gods, I do like (a lot) that in the final Rnd5, Joeys host Iggies at HH in the last GPS outing for their respective Y12's. Can't help but think there'll be a minimum 5,000 in attendance irrespective, and if the JoeBoys do as suggested, attendances may crack the 10,000 mark! (Uncle Lee and ACS will have their deck-chairs set up days in advance!) ;)
I will be there watching even though I don't support either team. I'm not as positive about Joeys because scots and Kings demolish view. I didn't see the view Joeys game but did Joeys win by about 10 or 11. I also saw Joeys get well beaten by Wav. Anyway, they will all be close games and great to watch. If Joeys win they will deserve it because they would have improved the most but I think we will have to watch out for Joeys next year.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
TAS OA Gregory Biddle contacted me re the next TAS games including the junior ones. I gave him the info I had and also messaged the school to see if they could put up the full daily schedules in advance outside the Rugby app itself. It can be quite hard to find this especially the times (and venues) of the age games.

I think that the next Sydney TAS visit is 22 July against Shore @ Shore. Greg and I chatted about organising something then. The OAU and School does an okay job creating get-togethers for particular matches, but it can be a bit difficult if you want to watch a number of matches and are on your own. Nobody to share with. :(

Thinking at this point is this. Encourage as many TAS supporters as possible to go to see as many matches as possible. Establish a single point at the ground where people can come back to to catch up or meet if just arriving. Then a social gathering after the main match for those interested. It needn't just be OAs, but could include other TAS supporters. All should be welcome.

It should add to fun and also support the boys who make that long trip on such a regular basis. If you are interested and want to be involved please message me or email me at ndarala(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
TAS OA Gregory Biddle contacted me re the next TAS games including the junior ones. I gave him the info I had and also messaged the school to see if they could put up the full daily schedules in advance outside the Rugby app itself. It can be quite hard to find this especially the times (and venues) of the age games.

I think that the next Sydney TAS visit is 22 July against Shore @ Shore. Greg and I chatted about organising something then. The OAU and School does an okay job creating get-togethers for particular matches, but it can be a bit difficult if you want to watch a number of matches and are on your own. Nobody to share with. :(

Thinking at this point is this. Encourage as many TAS supporters as possible to go to see as many matches as possible. Establish a single point at the ground where people can come back to to catch up or meet if just arriving. Then a social gathering after the main match for those interested. It needn't just be OAs, but could include other TAS supporters. All should be welcome.

It should add to fun and also support the boys who make that long trip on such a regular basis. If you are interested and want to be involved please message me or email me at ndarala(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au
Great stuff Jim. Hope you TAS boys get a great crowd.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

AS,

I dont want to start another long winded debate about this issue, especially on this thread, but the reason people have called the ''trials'' trials is because they believe they have been trials.

There's been some very good rugby played and its been interesting but in general terms, the importance of winning a trial game for any school isnt as important as the way in which that particular team has performed in terms of cohesiveness and improvement, and with a view of looking forward to the real competition.

Most coaches would have given their squad of players a good go on the paddock either through choice or necessity, due to injuries. The same thing will happen during the competition (players will go missing due to injuries) so coaches have had a good look at the players they have earmarked as replacement players for the season ahead. Some of those players will end up becoming permanent members of the team.

Some coaches would have settled on their combinations earlier than others but they all had a good opportunity to see what they have to work with and what they need to work on. A sort of mock battle in preparation for the real battle.

The results from the first round of the CAS competition were predictable but not all teams performed as predicted, which has lead the tipsters to reassess their original thoughts. Some teams played much better than expected which is a good thing.

Competing under trial conditions where a loss can be even viewed as a positive, is obviously a lot different to playing in a proper competition, especially a one-round comp.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
And while we are on this endless ridiculous trial fest (running players off and on etc) and one round comp consider the Number 9 in Joeys 2nds who was contentiously sent off versus Riverview in a tackle. He is known for being an extremely fair player and has always played by the rules in the years I've seen him and sportmanship could never be questioned. At the very worst it could have been a yellow card to most but was deemed by the young touch judge to be red which was his call (not disrespecting his judgement or questioning his character - disagree with his decision). Being put in that position for a start should not happen as he cannot possibly be seen to be independent even though he believed he was doing the right thing but that's a separate issue again.

I can tell you that the Joeys officials were extremely confident the player would be cleared by the judiciary once the video was viewed.

It went to the judiciary made up of other schools (fair enough) - however it pretty much it would seem if you get a red card it's a minimum 1 round suspension even if its line ball about whether any action should have been taken at all.

Joeys lost the game (ok but the send off didn't help) and the Number 9, missed the rest of the game (half a match), could not be a replacement for 1sts (the thirds half back was used), will miss the first round & now has to wait for next term where there will be only 4 games. Essentially he has 4 weeks of football left and let's hope he doesn't fall foul of the concussion rule!

Yes this could have happened to any player from any school including a View player if the linesman saw it that way.

The one round comp needs to be abolished and quickly. Contentious decisions in such a short comp can cost a team a premiership that has only 5 games and takes away what players, coaches, parents and supporters really want - competition games. The players don't want a one round comp and not too many others do either.

Missing one game in a 2 round comp (if unluckily red carded) would be a much easier pill to swallow.

GPS Rugby has problems with its processes and competition format. We can't let it do it again this way next year.

Mike Wazowski

Frank Nicholson (4)
And while we are on this endless ridiculous trial fest (running players off and on etc) and one round comp consider the Number 9 in Joeys 2nds who was contentiously sent off versus Riverview in a tackle. He is known for being an extremely fair player and has always played by the rules in the years I've seen him and sportmanship could never be questioned. At the very worst it could have been a yellow card to most but was deemed by the young touch judge to be red which was his call (not disrespecting his judgement or questioning his character - disagree with his decision). Being put in that position for a start should not happen as he cannot possibly be seen to be independent even though he believed he was doing the right thing but that's a separate issue again.

I can tell you that the Joeys officials were extremely confident the player would be cleared by the judiciary once the video was viewed.

It went to the judiciary made up of other schools (fair enough) - however it pretty much it would seem if you get a red card it's a minimum 1 round suspension even if its line ball about whether any action should have been taken at all.

Joeys lost the game (ok but the send off didn't help) and the Number 9, missed the rest of the game (half a match), could not be a replacement for 1sts (the thirds half back was used), will miss the first round & now has to wait for next term where there will be only 4 games. Essentially he has 4 weeks of football left and let's hope he doesn't fall foul of the concussion rule!

Yes this could have happened to any player from any school including a View player if the linesman saw it that way.

The one round comp needs to be abolished and quickly. Contentious decisions in such a short comp can cost a team a premiership that has only 5 games and takes away what players, coaches, parents and supporters really want - competition games. The players don't want a one round comp and not too many others do either.

Missing one game in a 2 round comp (if unluckily red carded) would be a much easier pill to swallow.

GPS Rugby has problems with its processes and competition format. We can't let it do it again this way next year.

I completely agree! One error in a teams season (red card, etc) can cost them a premiership. A two round comp really depicts the true and deserved premiers. As with the current GPS competition, any team can win on their day.

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
I completely agree! One error in a teams season (red card, etc) can cost them a premiership. A two round comp really depicts the true and deserved premiers. As with the current GPS competition, any team can win on their day.

Trial time is a tough period for coaches. For all GPS teams, the first 2 or 3 trials games represent the most important and most nervous part of their pre-season preparations, but then trials continued with several more games.

Trial games are a necessary evil for players and coaches.

You know you need them, but in the back of your mind you also know there is very little positive to be gained from them. Sure, players are keen to play and so are the schools and supporters but I would rather avoid the contact and train them harder via non contact methodology.

Playing trials your players risk injury and suspension in games of no importance. If you win you get nothing to show for it, some winners take in literally that they BEAT the opposition team, gloat and try to use that win as a measurement for the upcoming season, but sadly you are wrong, it is a trial game.

If you lose or play poorly, the confidence of young players can take a hit or the whole team and school can start to question whether or not their off-season program has covered all necessary bases.

Some coaches refuse to play their best players, stating they are saving them from risk of injury and I applaud that tactic. Some coaches, I feel, just don't want to put their full-strength team out there and see it get beaten - they like to think they have something in reserve.

Take a certain Joey player, he had played 1 game in the trials against Scots. His performance continued from where he left off from the last game of 2016 against Newington. Had a brilliant game. Don't include his 2nd game, he was starved of the ball 1st half and came off have 5 minutes in the second half. I have been told the player is 100% fit and is jumping out of skin for the 1st round of GPS where it is anticipated he will contribute to a Joeys win first up in a meaningful GPS comp game which is a reward when there is GPS Premiership at stake and will Joeys fist GPS Premiership since 2007, if they good enough.

Trials are meaningless, if you are in the 3rds or 2nds it is great to get a shot in 1st XV and show what you can do. When you are more established you see the trials as a no-pressure opportunity to try new things you practiced at training and to build combinations with new teammates.

So which team will have their full squad, 100 % fit and ready to play in games that are meaningful GPS Comp games that will be remembered, especially they lead to a premiership!! Bad luck to the teams that played their best teams meaningless trials and now have 1st XV players seated on sideline watching from the sideline due to injury or suspension or concussion rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.