• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Results from Saturday's final round of trials.

Screenshot_20180618-121727.png

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Hi JB

Here are the 3rds results form the weekend and the table from the GPS website.

RUGBY RESULTS

Saturday 16 June 2018
3rd XV

Scots 27 def Grammar 17
Shore 7 lost to Kings 19
High 7 lost to St Josephs 43
Riverview 22 def TAS 0

Points table

1. Scots 2 0 0 0 61 7 4
2. Riverview 2 0 0 0 44 0 4
3. Kings 2 0 0 0 27 12 4
4. Grammar 1 0 1 0 24 32 2
5. St Josephs 1 0 1 0 48 14 2
6. High 0 0 2 0 12 51 0
7. Shore 0 0 2 0 7 41 0
8. TAS 0 0 2 0 0 56 0

Thanks for this, QH. Nothing like some information to ease the incipient paranoia that was emerging in my earlier remarks.

What an interesting spread of results. The TAS boys will be very disappointed with their result, conversely View very pleased. Based on the pre-seasons, who would have expected Joey's to be fifth after the second round, TAS bottom! That's the first time TAS has been bottom since the official comp began. I know that Ben and his team will do level best to come back.

I haven't done the maths on the comp at this point. but there are some interesting games ahead. Scots are firm favourites at the moment, but can't take this for granted. None of us expected, I think, a comp that would have View and Kings on level pegging with Scots in point terms!

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Hi JB

Here are the 3rds results form the weekend and the table from the GPS website.

RUGBY RESULTS

Saturday 16 June 2018
3rd XV

Scots 27 def Grammar 17
Shore 7 lost to Kings 19
High 7 lost to St Josephs 43
Riverview 22 def TAS 0

Points table

1. Scots 2 0 0 0 61 7 4
2. Riverview 2 0 0 0 44 0 4
3. Kings 2 0 0 0 27 12 4
4. Grammar 1 0 1 0 24 32 2
5. St Josephs 1 0 1 0 48 14 2
6. High 0 0 2 0 12 51 0
7. Shore 0 0 2 0 7 41 0
8. TAS 0 0 2 0 0 56 0

Makes for some cracking Round 3 matches!

3RD XV – GPS Competition Round 3:
S v I - Match of the Round of two of the Undefeateds! (Another 10am kick-off? Check your guides.)
E v J
K v G - Grammar beat Joeys in Rnd 1. A repeat performance here??
A v H - One of them to open their 2018 account!

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I wondered about this but thought that I must be paranoid. I used the live scores on the TAS rugby app. Saturday I was going to watch the school play but could not go. Thought not to worry, I can at least follow on the live app. Then found that the progressive scores were no longer public. My inability to access the AAGPS site followed.

It may all just be coincidence or there may have been a policy decision about external commentary. I didn't say this at the time, but last year I received some negative feedback from a senior person about G&G and by implication my role that took quite a bit of the joy out of my commentary. It's the only way I can easily participate and had re-ignited my links to TAS.

As I said, it may all be a coincidence. If it is a policy change no doubt there are more informed people here who may be able to advise us about it.
Try opening in google chrome

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Good selections O.J. that have been vindicated by this weekends results.
What would be really useful is for both Strang and Savala to be chosen as a unit.
They both deserve a place in their own right.
Tremendous value in established combinations in a composite side such as the GPS team.
Don't want to suffer defeat at the hands of CAS for a second year.
Jeremy Williams return against Joeys makes him an absolute must for selection.
2 tries and amazing pace for a big second rower.
Instantly reminded of how good he was last year.

I was watching from the end near where Williams scored his two tries.

No one was going to stop him. Although I dont think many others would have scored in similar situations. Probably because few his size have his pace also. He nearly scored a third.

Was a very strong first game for 2018.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
I was watching from the end near where Williams scored his two tries.

No one was going to stop him. Although I dont think many others would have scored in similar situations. Probably because few his size have his pace also. He nearly scored a third.

Was a very strong first game for 2018.

Very fortunate for Scots to have Williams back for the comp. Not so fortunate is one of their other scond rowers. I think his name is King. He has not played since he was taken out, off the ball, in the match versus Waverly. See ppost 662.

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
Very fortunate for Scots to have Williams back for the comp. Not so fortunate is one of their other scond rowers. I think his name is King. He has not played since he was taken out, off the ball, in the match versus Waverly. See ppost 662.

That's not a courageous act from the Waverley #8. The game doesn't need that rubbish. Sorry to hear that the Scots player was injured so badly.

S

sidelineview

That's not a courageous act from the Waverley #8. The game doesn't need that rubbish. Sorry to hear that the Scots player was injured so badly.

The incident was clearly shown on the video.
You can't argue that it was a premeditated act.

S

sidelineview

I don't think anyone has said it was premeditated. But you can't be certain it wasn't either. Go back to the same tape. To the 4 min 35sec marked. Guess who put Waverly 8 on his tail, legitimately? King. The Scots 4 in the blue head gear who was later taken out trying to get to his feet. That is more than likely a co-incidence. But maybe not.

It's inconclusive. To infer it was a cheap shot and not a courageous act is going too far.
You can replay it on slowmo and tut-tut about it but viewed in real time it doesn't tell you much.
Why wasnt he penalised and carded if it was so bad?

To claim it was some sort of get square because the Scots 4 tackled Moretti earlier in the match when he was injured is a bit silly.
It's footy; it s a tough game. S..t happens and Moretti has proven over the last 3 seasons that he's tough but he's not a cheap shot artist.

I'm sure the two players involved would be Ok with each other and have a chuckle about any post game over reactions from observers.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OK, I don't think an incident from way back needs to be re-hashed now. Let's keep the discussion current, before it goes off the rails. Cheers.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Kobe has played very well and is certainly good enough, but think the other 12s and 13s listed above more likely to be selected.

I think ur right but with Cas struggling to find an inside centre due to injuries to their top players a hard running inside centre is what u want and Rugless fits that role perfectly. Easy is a very good player but a ball player.
Will be interesting how many Scots players make GPS 1 as u can only choose so many from one school.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I think ur right but with Cas struggling to find an inside centre due to injuries to their top players a hard running inside centre is what u want and Rugless fits that role perfectly. Easy is a very good player but a ball player.
Will be interesting how many Scots players make GPS 1 as u can only choose so many from one school.

I reckon Rugless would be a handful, but just think the selectors will go with Easy at 12 in the 1s. But he could definitely make 2s, at 12 or 13. And if he plays really well there, he's got every chance of pushing for higher honours.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I reckon he would be a handful, but just think the selectors will go with Easy at 12 in the 1s. But he could definitely make 2s, at 12 or 13. And if he plays really well there, he's got every chance of pushing for higher honours.

The GPS selectors are blessed with several schools putting forward centre combinations that will all do an admirable job. I agree with Rich that initially the safe option is the View pairing, but Scots, Kings and Joeys all have quality players.
CAS on the other hand are struggling in this area. I dont think any combination the CAS put forward can match GPS on straight ability. Hence i think the selectors may go for a defensive pairing and try and win the game based on 10 man rugby.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I was having a quick look at the 2017 GPS teams and what struck me was how many are still at school this year. I have probably missed a couple, but here are the names i recognised.

1sts - Bell (N), Williams (S), Harris (S), Savala (S), Bell (I), Connolly (K).

2nds - Wellington (S), Creagh (J), Easy (I)

Blue - Heaven (J), Pepper (K), Minogue (K), Ryan (J), Dutallis (I)

White - Scolari (J), Lewis (N), Stewart (K), Apps (K)

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I was having a quick look at the 2017 GPS teams and what struck me was how many are still at school this year. I have probably missed a couple, but here are the names i recognised.

Spells danger for CAS this year. I reiterate that GPS should win by 15 this year.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
The GPS selectors are blessed with several schools putting forward centre combinations that will all do an admirable job. I agree with Rich that initially the safe option is the View pairing, but Scots, Kings and Joeys all have quality players.
CAS on the other hand are struggling in this area. I dont think any combination the CAS put forward can match GPS on straight ability. Hence i think the selectors may go for a defensive pairing and try and win the game based on 10 man rugby.

Ilias (Trinity 13) is a good attacking player, isn't he? Maybe they could combine him with a strong defender at 12. It was suggested in CAS thread that Edmed (Trinity 10) could be a good option at 12. What are your thoughts?

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Ilias (Trinity 13) is a good attacking player, isn't he? Maybe they could combine him with a strong defender at 12. It was suggested in CAS thread that Edmed (Trinity 10) could be a good option at 12. What are your thoughts?

I have not seen Edmed play but I have seen Ilias. I am not sure what the selectors will do. At present I would be playing Nercessian at 12. He had another good game against Brook. He is a stout defender and as a ex 10 is pretty innovative and has no hesitation of taking on the defensive line. In the abscence of anyone else stepping up he would be my choice.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)

Hmmmm.......not sure that inspires confidence Rich.......those 6 boys from last years 1st team went down 26-0.
We underestimate CAS at our peril.