• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
And channelling Father Jim here, the non-trophied 2018 3rd’s Championship is far from “done”, with Riverview undefeated (so far, and on 5 W’s), and those other same three teams ‘featuring’ in 2018 - Joeys (4 W’s) and Kings and Scots (both 3 W’s) - still featuring front and centre as to how the ‘Non-trophy’ will be anointed.

After 5 Rounds of 7, the Table looks like:

2A40CD5E-D136-42EB-A8D1-0DB3E6E11CFD.jpeg

Breaking it down.

View, undefeated after 5 Rounds, have their chaff-bags right out in front. They go away at Grammar this week (who bested Joeys 3’s back in Round 1 in some soccer-like score - was it 7-5?!?!); and then they host ‘ol mates, the JoeBoys, for the really big finish! A win away at the Grammarians this week, guarantees at least one hand on the Non-trophy. A win at home in Round 7 over the JoeBoys, will deliver an Undefeated Championship, which is a rare ‘ol thang these days!

Joeys, with just the prior loss on 4 Wins, play Scots away this week (who’re no doubt a touch cranky for Shore lowering their colours last week, but hey, kudos where it’s earned!). Then they round out their 2018 at Riverview in a Battle Royale for the hands of the fair Loretto amd Winona maidens for Y12 school formals, and quite possibly, the Non-Trophy!

Both previously one-loss teams, Kings and Scots, well, they lost last weekend.
The former to Joeys by lots; the latter to Shore by 3.
Both may be bruised but def not yet “out”.

Kings host Father Jim’s Armidale on Saturday in a Battle of the Beasts of Burden.
Scots host Joeys.
Then they, Kings and Scots, play each other out at North Parra to round out 2018 proceedings, though it all may have been dusted before they take the field.

Great Comp, the 3’s! :)

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
There was ‘more than niggle’ from both sides. If anyone can post a video of the game that would be great. One thing which made me laugh-the touchy on the far side was obviously having a chat or distracted when Joeys unexpectedly kicked for touch. I reckon he put his flag up 50m from where it went into touch...and the old man running shuffle in an attempt to get to the ball..didn’t matter but jeez it was funny. I’m not sure but I don’t think the ref got a lot of help from the touchlines. A video would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• E766DC7F-6EA3-4F7F-8067-A21EEBD67A7A.jpeg
    E766DC7F-6EA3-4F7F-8067-A21EEBD67A7A.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 866

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
That should have been carded, probably Red

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
In my view it’s unthinkable, given the focus Referees were asked to place on cleanouts, that this cleanout did not result in a yellow card as a minimum. What I don’t get is how he missed it, given where he was standing. Was also an interesting call to award a penalty try for a high tackle but then not yellow card the Joeys player who made the tackle.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
In my view it’s unthinkable, given the focus Referees were asked to place on cleanouts, that this cleanout did not result in a yellow card as a minimum. What I don’t get is how he missed it, given where he was standing. Was also an interesting call to award a penalty try for a high tackle but then not yellow card the Joeys player who made the tackle.

Did I read somewhere that it was a Super Rugby Ref? Looks a bit like Ben O'Keefe who managed to miss Joe Moody elbowing Beale in the throat off the ball en route to a try.

I think the key is that he missed it completely. Clearly not good enough but not as bad as if he had seen it and either ignored it or not sanctioned it strongly enough.

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
It promises to be a big day at Stanmore on Saturday with the annual "Back to Newington" day festivities. There will be two BBQs (the rugby BBQ and the "big" BBQ, as well as the taste of Tonga stand, the AFL gourmet pie stand and the little bit of Lebanon stand. And more...) So bring your appetites and make a day of it if you're visiting from North Parramatta!

In terms of rugby :), games on Johnson start with New 6ths vs Kings 8ths at 845am, leading up to the big game at 3.15. Other games of particular interest may be the 16As on Johnson at 1245, the 13As on Old Boys #2 at 1pm and the 15As at 10am on Old Boys #2. Unfortunately, the 14s are at Tempe, starting with the 14Es at 8am and the 14As at 12 but it's worth the journey to see the future of black and white rugby.

It's always a good day with a lot on. A reminder too that parking at Stanmore is spectacularly bad at the best of times and will be worse this Saturday.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Did I read somewhere that it was a Super Rugby Ref? Looks a bit like Ben O'Keefe who managed to miss Joe Moody elbowing Beale in the throat off the ball en route to a try.

I think the key is that he missed it completely. Clearly not good enough but not as bad as if he had seen it and either ignored it or not sanctioned it strongly enough.
The ARU website discloses who the top level referees are (only 4 full time Referees, 3 male 1 female) and then 4 others and he’s not one of either flavour so not sure where that’s come from.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joker good work by Joeys!

and thanks for sharing that picture on the CAS thread ... you are the man ... when it comes to pics ... and that is exactly the newspaper picture I was remembering

interestingly it was 1993, I think when Scots had their centenary ... so I guess it must be the 25 year reunion for the $cots class of 1993

and this Saturday I guess we will see if Joeys can avenge the 1993 result ... I reckon they can .. and either way I don't think it is contentious, to call it the match of the round.

I will be interested to see the 2 teams lists .. presumably Joeys are leaving X Ryan and Jet Williams in 2nd XV, and presuming Scots will be without Savala and Brial... but Toby Gavin will return?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Maybe he got his horizontal and vertical mixed up? didn't quite make the vertical

Horrible decision by the looks of it.. and even worse if TKS got the penalty.

Sorry GOIII I would like to “like” your post but I just can’t given the circumstances.

It wasn’t his only poor call. His referee coach should review the tape.

To be clear the yellow card and penalty try awarded against Joeys were justified. But the incident posted was right in front of him and dangerous. Completely inexplicable call.

Very inconsistent performance and worst I have seen by a NSW appointee at this level.

Wonder if Joeys will cite the player?

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
That doesn’t look good. Thanks for the photo. Does anybody know if Joeys make available the video of the game?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
That doesn’t look good. Thanks for the photo. Does anybody know if Joeys make available the video of the game?

Sorry Pirate. They do not. This is due to the agreement the GPS Heads made regarding maintaining student privacy. Official videos are not shared publicly. There are though some people (Steppa for example) who take good quality video but overall all it is limited. Joeys have been clamping down on people (not associated with the schools) taking photos and video.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys are very funny about photographers on their sacred ground

I gather you are definitely expected to get permission ... if you have your monster camera

and high profile photographers have been unceremoniously removed is my understanding

other than that Joeys definitely has some nice protocols that they seem to follow ... adds to the aura

although personally it would be nice to get some more seating ... as the ground sure does host some ding-dong battles

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
RESULT Summary Joeys v Kings

Games : 28
Wins: 22
Losses: 5
Cancelled: 1
Points scored: 1,004
Points against: 359

The under 15s were the most successful age group winning 7 of the 8 matches played– the only loss was by 8 points in the 15C’s to Waverley 15B XV.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
although personally it would be nice to get some more seating . as the ground sure does host some ding-dong battles

Joeys priority is the boys first, hence they get the best seats in the house and makes them easy to contain.
The opposition student supporters do though get seats provided on the eastern touchline which is the same as Shore do. Not many schools provide this.

Back in 1998, Joeys paid for temporary grandstand seats at thr southern end of the ground when they played TKS for the title and it was televised on the ABC. Joeys had three games broadcast but then the AAGPS agreed that privacy of kids came first and all agreed (yes, even $cots) to not allow this to happen again. The Dark Empire though still broadcast their touch football sevens tournament online but you will note not many GPS schools send teams to this propaganda/scouting event.