• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If I remember correctly, Grammar beat Joeys in 1980,1974, 1978 and the score was 18-6, all kicked goals it was in round 4 after they had loss their first three GPS Games, all fairly convincingly. As well as their last preseason match to Newington 21-7. The next matches were all won, a remarkable effort considering Grammar were on the verge of the abyss and turned it around. This included a win 10-3 against Newington to deny them past of a joined premiership.

Also a very dodgy Joeys victory 8-3 in 1979 (only game Joeys won that year - 1st and only wooden spoon). IS could attest to this, but has sadly left G&GR

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nevertheless Quick Hands an outstanding job. Between you and S&M you have keep New supporters such as myself informed about the schools Rugby. Regrettably, the Rugby News Letter is not reaching me. I am wondering to do you or SM get the newsletter. In the past it was an effort well done.

Outstanding results and not just for our 1st XV. The 15As achieve their first ever win against the Kings a side that beat them 52-5 and 68-0 last year. Yes, Joey is playing in the Kings 1st, but this TKS team was not a one man team. So to the 15As you may not have won that many games in your GPS Games, but you have demonstrated a remarkable improvement in 2018.

The 13As and their 17-15 win against a super strong TKS side. Last week Joeys beat them 24-22 and the previous week trounced New 64-7. So the New 13As in matter of two weeks are fast closing the gap that exists between them and that outstanding Joeys team that is their 13As. 16As a good win against one of the stronger teams in their age group. And of course our 14As and another convincing display. As with our 1sts did the backline again fire again.

In fact, I can't remember when all New A teams completed a clean sweep against Kings, a great effort.

I sense, that Rugby at Newington is going through a fundamental change. Moving away from rampaging Pacific Islanders, who rely on a physical dominating presence, to skillful team work, that utilises pacey backlines involving support play.

Nevertheless, we have Shore next week and all teams must respect their opponents. Particularly, the 15As and 14As where Shore have some of their best teams.

Thanks B&W.

Shore will be difficult - particularly in those lower age groups where they can flood the breakdown with their quick, small forwards and either steal or slow down opposition ball.

The 1sts backline today was as good as I've ever seen from a Newington 1sts backline.

As I said in the season preview, Newington could beat anyone on their day but consistency is the issue.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys winning try and pitch invasion inspection, when they looked dead against Scots with only two mins left to play. Fantastic game >

Thanks Steppa. Enjoyed watching my son celebrate in the video.
I heard as well that the TSC old boys were an issue with noise and bottles on the roof.
Please post up the match summary video when you can.

keenas

Frank Nicholson (4)
next weeks games will make a interesting viewing with Joeys, Scots and Kings tied with 3 wins and a loss each. For Scots to win the title they need View to beat Joeys while they beat Kings at Parramatta. If View win and Kings win, then Kings take the title. If Joeys win then they will share with whoever wins the Kings / Scots game. I think I have that right. RichE can you confirm??

Surely Mason will come back in for Scots he had the backline running smooth as silk unlike today which was very stop start

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
next weeks games will make a interesting viewing with Joeys, Scots and Kings tied with 3 wins and a loss each. For Scots to win the title they need View to beat Joeys while they beat Kings at Parramatta. If View win and Kings win, then Kings take the title. If Joeys win then they will share with whoever wins the Kings / Scots game. I think I have that right. RichE can you confirm??

A tantalising last week of matches.

Riverview v Joeys

Kings v Scots

Newington v Shore

Dare I say it, but why don't we have 2 rounds home and away and reduce the trials?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
For all the cerise and blue supporters out there.
Thank you again Steppa for the video which allowed me to grab this image.
Good night.

38867173_1788969507806413_8481131323656765440_n.jpg

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
A tantalising last week of matches.

Riverview v Joeys

Kings v Scots

Newington v Shore

Dare I say it, but why don't we have 2 rounds home and away and reduce the trials?

QH, because other than the occassional game like this, it's boring when the match ups aren't good, and the current system is better, IMO, when you play more sides rather than just 5. Better competition should lead to better games, better development of the game, better Aussie schoolboys etc. Any comp eg GPS,CAS etc with 6 teams is too small IMO.

Also I think you may agree, playing the better CAS teams adds more interest, as to which school/s are actually the best of any given year. We must also start including the ISA and CHS schools in some sort of divisional comp, if we really want the best playing the best, with a relegation system each year based on performance, just my opinion.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
For all the cerise and blue supporters out there.
Thank you again Steppa for the video which allowed me to grab this image.
Good night.

Gold Joker. Sorry Cerise and blue!

LOVE IT!!! Well done the Joe Boys !!

38867173_1788969507806413_8481131323656765440_n.jpg

Loose Carry

Peter Burge (5)
yes it would appear something is amiss Nick jones, Nick Chan 1's last year highly unlikely their ability has deserted them, luv a heads up somewhere along the line.

Please ... anyone who thinks that Joeys is not fielding their best team is nuts. Of any school, it is safe to say that they will
always choose the best 15 to play. Jones was not 1s last year ... 16As with a couple of appearances in the 2s. Chan started 1s last year and finished 2s. There is no doubt it is a strong 2s team but there is nothing amiss at all.

Joeys fields the best team based on form and I think it would be fair to say that this was proven today.

Be gone with conspiracy theories and let’s enjoy the final round!

Joeys has wrapped up the 2nds. If they happen to beat View in the 3rds and 1sts it will be a big day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Sounds like it was a cracking game today at Bellevue Hill.

It certainly was - you shoulda been there! ;)

This was an old school SJC win - and in front of a braying Scots crowd at Bellevue hill, is there any sweeter? Particularly as it followed the pre match video oration from the headmaster in which he reminded us of the 125th anniversary and how they particularly enjoyed the keen rivalry with Joeys (translation: we reckon we’ve got this).

Joeys forwards, as per ever, we’re out muscled, but out worked and outskilled their counterparts. Why Scots didn’t use their 5 more I don’t know as his bust through the whole SJC pack off a kick off to set up Scots first try seemed ominous.

Joeys backs - and the coaching - won the day. The set piece moves were excellent and created a key point in the second half:

Joeys ball on half way - 10 puts it over Scots back 3, one bounce into the corner (if only the Wallabies...). Ensuing Scots lineout - Scots take at 2 and not one Joeys forward binds on, unlike the whole TSC pack. This forces a scrum to Joeys from which they run a perfect inside ball move to the blind side winger who goes through untouched, TRY.

Magni-fucking-fique

Was such a treat effort, it’s hard to pick too many solos but the 10 and 12 controlled beautifully and the outside backs were clinical. Having watched the last 3 matches, this Joeys team is deserving in their resilience and skill.

PS - as Joker mentioned the AV at Scots is next level. Includes instant replays and live drone footage!

PPS - I heard Johnny Connolly the TKS 15 has already signed in yr 9 to Souths league? Please someone tell me no. He could play Super Rugby in a year - the next Folau

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, because other than the occassional game like this, it's boring when the match ups aren't good, and the current system is better, IMO, when you play more sides rather than just 5. Better competition should lead to better games, better development of the game, better Aussie schoolboys etc. Any comp eg GPS,CAS etc with 6 teams is too small IMO.

Also I think you may agree, playing the better CAS teams adds more interest, as to which school/s are actually the best of any given year. We must also start including the ISA and CHS schools in some sort of divisional comp, if we really want the best playing the best, with a relegation system each year based on performance, just my opinion.

Because other than the Waverley trial(combined with High), none of the other trials provided anything approaching a GPS on GPS day (noting that two of the Newington trials were against Scots and Riverview anyway).

Not enough teams, too many mismatches etc.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
The edited season highlights of the Joeys season look fantastic.....have seen a sneak preview. They will be available shortly after next Saturday’s result.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
My guess is Kings may have suffered from the particularly torrid encounter at the Hill the week before which affected their performance this week. Based on what I’ve seen from both Kings and Scots if they fielded the sides they both fielded against Joeys I’d see Kings shading them - their forwards were a lot stronger. It is shaping up as a crackerjack game. Even a draw, which would be the worst result for both of them, would be a strong possibility!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Because other than the Waverley trial(combined with High), none of the other trials provided anything approaching a GPS on GPS day (noting that two of the Newington trials were against Scots and Riverview anyway).

Not enough teams, too many mismatches etc.
Yes the atmosphere was great at Shore with it being Old Boys, Gardner refereeing, and the game being not too lopsided at 12-5 at HT. There’s just an excitement that the tradition brings that can’t be matched by a cross competition fixture despite some CAS Schools being more than competitive.

On another note, Shore 14as defeated Riverview to set up a big final game against New.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes the armosphere was great at Shore with it being Old Boys, Gardner refereeing, and the game being not too lopsided at 12-5 at HT. There’s just an excitement that the tradition brings that can’t be matched by a cross competition fixture despite some CAS Schools being more than competitive.

On another note, Shore 14as defeated Riverview to set up a big final game against New.

A small but significant gesture by the Shore boys in the grandstand yesterday. After cheerfully supporting their team all game, they gave the players a standing ovation after full time.
That level of support must help the players as they renew their unflagging enthusiasm, despite their losses.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
One aspect of the single-round comp is the resurgence of the "grand final" atmosphere of most games during the comp. In a two-round comp that intensity is diluted to fewer games.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
One sad thing was brought to my attention this morning by a mother of my sons best mate. She had the good fortune of snaring a parking spot on Cranbrook Road which runs down the hill from Victoria Rd past the oval. It was also the spot where the Scots Old Boys have traditionally gathered to watch and cheer. She parked there at 11.30am. On returning to her car after the game and enjoying the lovely hospitality in the Scots dining room (a gracious speech by Lambert I am told) she found her car scratched and reeking of beer. There was a note under her windscreen which was "simply disgusting". The Joeys sticker on her back window was half torn off. My son reported to me that a number of glass bottles were being dropped onto the roof of the new building below (making a loud bang) and cars were being rev'd in the street during conversion attempts. Anyone there hear this too?

That is completely unacceptable Joker.
It was bad enough that some idiot chose to rev his motorcycle when Joeys were taking key kicks.
Old boy behaviour at it's worst.

Congratulations to Joey for yesterdays win.
Not much between the teams, in my view Joeys won by playing smarter rugby.
The strong Joeys support on the touchline was wonderful to see.
It was an epic win in the best GPS traditions.
Based on yesterdays performance Joeys will justly claim a share of the GPS crown this year.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Spot on. What a day. Amazing twists in what is turning out to be a cracking comp this year.

Congrats to Joeys. Totally deserved winners.

Scots would naturally be very disappointed. But hey, thats footy. Didnt close out game when I thought that maybe they could have.

Can't wait for next week.

Totally agree Rich E congratulations to the Joeys boys on a well deserved win the teams are so close the premiership may well have been decided literally by the bounce of a ball. The haggis is back in the fridge for at least another week