• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2018

Tip the 2018 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I can assure you the blue and straw colours were exactly the same in my day 64 & 65 when we played in GPS comp in fact we played Shore at Northbridge 1964 and beat them 17 - 13 and it was a problem being similar jerseys, from a half back's position anyway, Riverview were premiers that year and we played them on Backfield they beat us 8 - 6 after our goal kicker (Dave Wu) missed a sitter from 20 metres out 5 min from FT. Bit of nostalgia for you Jim

Laughs. Nostalgia is right! I am actually working on a nostalgia piece coming from today's game that I might put up here and on the TAS OA site. More broadly, I've been trawling back through the Armidiilans just trying to refresh my memory on results. Time we reminded a few of this Sydney lot about a little of the past!

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
TAS got the job done against Shore 3s. Was reasonably close at HT but TAS scored two in succession in the second half to put it out of Shore’s reach.

In absolutely glorious weather in advance of the change, Shore hosted TAS. I wasn't able to watch all the matches and don't have precise scores. Left my pen at home, too.
Unusually because Shore thirds had to to back up the seconds elsewhere, our firsts played at 11 with the !6As and 14Bs playing afterwards, I positioned myself so that I could at least look at both.
The 16As were playing Shore 16Bs. This was a bottler of a match that TAS won quite comfortably. I saw less of the 14Bs, they were playing Shore 14Ds, but we have some good players.
The Firsts delivered in spades. Initially there were some nervous moments, this Shore team has had at least one giant killer match, but TAS kept hitting up in the middle and out wide. I think, not sure, that the final score was around 24-5.
Shore hospitality was good with some nice food, although the view among the cognoscenti who monitor these matters is that TAS still holds the reputation for best food. It was nice. My bacon and egg roll had extra egg but very crispy bacon which I like.
I note that in a parallel match, Iggies narrowly beat Joeys to claim the Thirds premiership. Congratulations to iggies, but we will back next year. On personal note, my congrats to all boys in all grades and to their coaches and supporters who have given this increasingly Old Old Boy so much pleasure this year. .

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
As mentioned.
  • Joeys up 21-20. View score in the dark. Ran past injured player on the ground. Game not stopped.
  • View now 25-21. View old boys invade the ground. Place goes nuts.
  • View think it is full time.
  • ONLY time for a kick off.
  • Ball is kicked as deep as they can into the breeze.
  • Xavier Ryan runs I believe 50m to score. Kick converted.
  • Full time.
  • JOEYS old boys storm the field.
  • Tears from the Joeys boys as they sing Sub Tuum with hoarse voices and raw throats
  • Silence from Riverview. They gave it their all.
  • TWO miracles in TWO weeks.
  • I wonder if anyone got that finish on video????
The drought is over.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Congrats to Joeys and Kings. A great end to a fantastic season. For all its flaws, the old one round comp certainly produces excitement.

Ditto,

Very happy for Joeys a longer than normal wait, but champs this year with Kings.
Equally happy for Kings, I believe they had injury issues but still were able to rise above.

Well done to both schools, it was another great year.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
QH, did you see the 14a game? How did Shore look? I heard they had been training over time during the week to prepare. 15a is a pretty good win for Shore.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, did you see the 14a game? How did Shore look? I heard they had been training over time during the week to prepare. 15a is a pretty good win for Shore.

Didn't see the 14A game as it was on the same time as seconds.

Newington fairly convincing winners from what I hear - Shore by no means disgraced. Shore and Joeys have provided two really hard fought victories for the Newington 14As. Looking forward to some equally hard fought clashes in the future. The Newington 14As really tend to finish over the top of teams even when the game is close for quite a while.

15As could have gone either way - well done to Shore on a deserved victory. The Newington 15As have really improved since Year 7.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The updated GPS Rugby Premiership History 1892 onward document with today's results PLUS other statistic stuff to ponder.
Hope you enjoy. If anyone knows who won the 2nds in 1910 let me know.

To all. Best wishes. Hope you enjoyed the season. Thanks to all those who contributed in the right spirit of the game.
It is game like no other and only reveals the best in us all.

Note the scoreboard was brighter than the day

39408812_2082882128639267_2362873642259316736_n.jpg

Joeys break the longest 1st XV premiership drought in their history - hope the real drought follows suit.

Also a while (2009) since Kings have won.

In celebration of another fine year of GPS rugby (including the mighty Newigton 14s), I've just had a few glasses of a 2007 Burgundy (last time Joeys won) and am preparing to watch Wallabies v ABs.:)

You couldn't have made up the script for this year's GPS - magnificent.

HeresToRugby

Chris McKivat (8)
Joeys break the longest 1st XV premiership drought in their history - hope the real drought follows suit.

Also a while (2009) since Kings have won.

In celebration of another fine year of GPS rugby (including the mighty Newigton 14s), I've just had a few glasses of a 2007 Burgundy (last time Joeys won) and am preparing to watch Wallabies v ABs.:)

You couldn't have made up the script for this year's GPS - magnificent.
Joeys had their longest drought of 11 years and broke it in 1918. Exactly 100 years and equal longest drought 11 years they do it again! History repeats.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys had their longest drought if 11 years and broke it in 1918. Exactly 100 years and equal longest drought 11 years they do it again! History repeats.

Funny fact. This drought breaking premiership today was predicted by a Joeys supporter who has seen every 1st Xv game since 1952! He is former mathematics professor and studies long term trends in stats. He said to me in 2015 that Joeys would win again in 2018 and then win a lot more. Sadly he passed away this year and didn't see his prediction come true.

Sorry Quick hands, a flood may be coming. Enjoy the red!