• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH,

What about the 16s?

I don't think the 16s were at Centennial Park, the 16As certainly weren't. There were the 3 15s games and some lower grade open teams from what I could see.

13s were at Christison Park, possibly the 16s were as well?

EDIT: Have just seen the draw - 16As were on Scots main at high noon but I wasn't there. The other Scots v New 16s games were at Centennial at 8am so they were gone by the time I was there. There was a Scots v Cranbrook game which was either a lower 16s or lower opens game on when I first arrived and Cranbrook seemed to be winning that convincingly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don’t understand why Scots continues to compete in 15a and b comp with half the cohort at Glengarry .. it’s just a matter of time before there is a serious injury

It's a difficult on a week to week basis. Newington have beaten Scots by 70 points in this age group in the As in 13s and 14s, so it's a little strange that Scots went up against the Newington 15As today.

On the other side, in the first game Scots 14C v Newington 14D it was also a mismatch as even with all players available this is the lowest Newington side. They're basically and F side, so even playing a depleted 14C team was never going to work. The Scots boys were bigger and more athletic and it only takes a few boys who are much better at that level to dominate the whole game.

No easy answers. Against Riverview or Kings in this age group the Scots boys would be competitive in the 15As and even against Shore there wouldn't be the size differential (although Shore are reasonably strong in this age group)

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Hello Wristman
Clearly, you were right in your predictions about New fitness. I saw in the Trinity and Knox games some great Running Rugby creating the impression that New had the required fitness level. Clearly, my assessment was far too optimistic and its back to the drawing board for Newington.

There is a glimmer of hope Black & White...
The Newington backs have great potential but simply didn't get enough ball.
A one dimensional approach, using big islander forwards to hit up close to the set piece starved them of possession.
Simply didn't work today, Scots too good in defence.
This very limited game plan effectively negated their most potent weapon.
It further exhausted the big Newington forwards and in the last quarter they lost 2 against the head pushed off their own ball.
Newington will overpower smaller sides this year but need to offer more against better GPS/CAS opposition.
Be interested to know what went wrong with Joeys, the GPS competition may be more open than I envisaged.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think the 16s were at Centennial Park, the 16As certainly weren't. There were the 3 15s games and some lower grade open teams from what I could see.

13s were at Christison Park, possibly the 16s were as well?

EDIT: Have just seen the draw - 16As were on Scots main at high noon but I wasn't there. The other Scots v New 16s games were at Centennial at 8am so they were gone by the time I was there. There was a Scots v Cranbrook game which was either a lower 16s or lower opens game on when I first arrived and Cranbrook seemed to be winning that convincingly.

Hello QH
Wondering as usual if you or any one else has the 13As, !4As results. Much appreciated if these results can be provided.

What we need is the system, where each school has its results placed on a website and can be accessed by the public. Such a system is available in the UK. So if you want follow say Wellington College, Marlborough College or Merchant Taylor School the results are published, the next morning on the school's Rugby Website. In this regard the Poms are well ahead of us Aussies.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Joeys 3rd 15 Aloysius 1st XV 52
Well done SAC.

This was an excellent performance from Aloysius. Joeys 3rds were coming off the back of a win over Barker 2nds, and led Aloysius in the first half 10-7 but went to the break down 10-21. Spalding (12) from Aloysius kicked extremely well in open play and created good field position and attacking opportunities for his team. The big Aloysius forwards took advantage and there were plenty of good tries in the second half.
Joeys never gave up and scored an excellent last try on the bell from a forward drive.
The Joeys lineout was solid all day, dominated by Sutherland (5) and they won a couple against the throw. Aloysius demonstrated a powerful scrum and great strength at the breakdown, led by their captain Allen (4). Joeys had a number of attacking opportunities in the second half, but the defence of the Aloysius backs was comprehensive.
Final score 52-17 and Aloysius deserving winners. Joeys now have a final trial before heading to TAS for the first round of the GPS 3rds competition.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello QH
Wondering as usual if you or any one else has the 13As, !4As results. Much appreciated if these results can be provided.

What we need is the system, where each school has its results placed on a website and can be accessed by the public. Such a system is available in the UK. So if you want follow say Wellington College, Marlborough College or Merchant Taylor School the results are published, the next morning on the school's Rugby Website. In this regard the Poms are well ahead of us Aussies.

14s were at David Phillips so I'm not able to assist there either unfortunately.

A pity that all the age groups were a different venues as it detracts from the otherwise excellent school spirit that Saturday sport brings.

I'm chasing a 16A result still.

Joeys have an excellent twtter feed with progress scores from the main games and full time scores from all grades, but unfortunately no other school seems to have copied this.

EDIT: We're back at Stanmore next week so I'll be able to see a lot of games in that compact environment.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Well done Knox. You took your chances when offered and punished a very sloppy team today. Fully deserved (even if the penalty count was slightly in your favour)

It was hard to watch BUT as my old coach once said, 'YOU LEARN MORE FROM A LOSS THAN A WIN"
What did Joeys learn today?

1. Prize possession.
2. Discipline at the breakdown
3. Patience

The same stuff that happened agaisnt Trinity in 2018.
Not the end of the world. Joeys coaches would have been happy with the second half at times.

It's pretty obvious (in hindsight) what a difference it makes to a backline when you don't have the regular 10. Ben Dowling is a very good footballer, but he ain't a 10, and it showed. With Gibbs out the backs were crabbing laterally all day, with no-one straightening the attack - this was meat & potatoes for Knox defence. Gibbs has the ability to adjust the direction and thrust by spotting the hole and the runner. Also, Dan O'Brien was off his oats and it showed. Joeys carrying several injuries - Rogan Hickey was a passenger. The team at fulltime was very different to the starting group.
That said, the right team won - it was a disciplined and well-crafted win by Knox - 4 tries each with goals the difference.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It's pretty obvious (in hindsight) what a difference it makes to a backline when you don't have the regular 10. Ben Dowling is a very good footballer, but he ain't a 10, and it showed. With Gibbs out the backs were crabbing laterally all day, with no-one straightening the attack - this was meat & potatoes for Knox defence. Gibbs has the ability to adjust the direction and thrust by spotting the hole and the runner. Also, Dan O'Brien was off his oats and it showed. Joeys carrying several injuries - Rogan Hickey was a passenger. The team at fulltime was very different to the starting group.
That said, the right team won - it was a disciplined and well-crafted win by Knox - 4 tries each with goals the difference.

Spot on, Joeys backline just went from sideline to sideline and were easy picking for Knox who defended brilliantly. Joeys threw the ball around like crazy, very similar to how Scots play with a lot of forwards shifting into the backline. The captain Bockenham is incredible, one of the best players i’ve seen in a long time.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
14s were at David Phillips so I'm not able to assist there either unfortunately.

A pity that all the age groups were a different venues as it detracts from the otherwise excellent school spirit that Saturday sport brings.

I'm chasing a 16A result still.

Joeys have an excellent twtter feed with progress scores from the main games and full time scores from all grades, but unfortunately no other school seems to have copied this.

EDIT: We're back at Stanmore next week so I'll be able to see a lot of games in that compact environment.

Thanks QH

I believe its against St.Augustines, so it should be a hard match. Hopefully, the 1st XV will bounce back as they have been given new benchmarks for achievement and improvement, courtesy of Scots. In the long run such a loss might be "A blessing In disguise " as the team is now aware of the type of play that will be required of them, to compete in the big matches of the GPS round.

Hopefully, work commitments will allow me to be there, with intention of watching the 15As Game. I last saw the team as the 13As two years ago. Another team that has impressed me is our 13As, due to their ability to play a running game. Hopefully, the 14As are getting back to last years form and our 16As continue their improvement, whatever, the result of their Scots game. And of course all the other teams that make up the Newington Rugby Program.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
RESULTS | Schoolboys
St Stanislaus 0 v 70 Kings
Shore 24 v 24 Trinity
Scots 41 v 5 Newington
Knox 34 v 26 St Joseph’s
St Ignatius 29 v 19 Barker
St Joseph’s 3rds 15 v 52 St Aloysius
Waverley 15 v 0 Augustine’s
Cranbrook 60 v 0 Grammar
Oakhill 0 v 14 St Ignatius 2nds
The Ardmidale School 17 v 59 St Greg’s
St Pius X 55 v 24 Sydney High

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
RESULTS | Schoolboys
St Stanislaus 0 v 70 Kings
Shore 24 v 24 Trinity
Scots 41 v 5 Newington
Knox 34 v 26 St Joseph’s
St Ignatius 29 v 19 Barker
St Joseph’s 3rds 15 v 52 St Aloysius
Waverley 15 v 0 Augustine’s
Cranbrook 60 v 0 Grammar
Oakhill 0 v 14 St Ignatius 2nds
The Ardmidale School 17 v 59 St Greg’s
St Pius X 55 v 24 Sydney High

On the basis of those results Shore, Grammar and High look like they each have a hard year in front of them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks QH

I believe its against St.Augustines, so it should be a hard match. Hopefully, the 1st XV will bounce back as they have been given new benchmarks for achievement and improvement, courtesy of Scots. In the long run such a loss might be "A blessing In disguise " as the team is now aware of the type of play that will be required of them, to compete in the big matches of the GPS round.

Hopefully, work commitments will allow me to be there, with intention of watching the 15As Game. I last saw the team as the 13As two years ago. Another team that has impressed me is our 13As, due to their ability to play a running game. Hopefully, the 14As are getting back to last years form and our 16As continue their improvement, whatever, the result of their Scots game. And of course all the other teams that make up the Newington Rugby Program.

Augustine's and Pius this week. I assume that it would be Augustine's in 1sts and all the A games and Pius in 2nds and the B games.

Notorious

Frank Row (1)
Match Report King's vs Stannies

King's were ruthless in their execution of their opportunities to post 70 points on Stannies in their 2nd competitive game of the season. King's were once again without the likes of Star player's Joseph Sua'ali'i, Johnny Connolly, Teddy Wilson and Sid White. Jason Little's son, Ollie, had an absolute blinder of a game at 15. The one sided affair highlighted the strengths and weaknesses that King's had to work on for the season ahead. King's showed great depth in their backline especially with William Penisini back in the centres whilst budding 7s star Jordan Williams bagged a hat trick. In the forward's, the fitness levels were at a low with Angus Fat calling to be taken off early in the 2nd half for a much bigger Jules Aquilina. Stannies were evidently frustrated toward the end of the game and instead resulted in a set of rough ups, highlighted by the action's of number 26 laying a flush punch on King's Callum Conroy. Unfazed by the stiff jab Conroy man-handled the chap to the ground to whisper sweet nothings into his ear. Both booked. That being said, King's have a big week of preparation ahead for next week against a strong Barker side in the GPS premiers vs CAS premiers contest. Key matchup will be captains Blake Males and Billy Pollard both at hooker, battling for the spot at state level. We will also see the return of the less conservative Folau, Joseph Sua'ali'i, back into the squad for the prominent bout.

Injury report:
Sid White - uncertain return for the season
Johnny Connolly 50/50 for Barker, likely to be back for the Waverly matchup at Bankwest Stadium
Angus Blackmore - return undecided but imminent
Teddy Wilson - Hoping to be back for Waverly game as well
Joseph Sua'ali'i - Starting vs Barker

Ones to watch:
Ollie Little - Jason Little's son likely to follow in his footsteps after showing his dominating capabilities over the weekend
Blake Males - Captain of the team is looking on course to lead his men to back to back premierships
Tommy Okladnikov - The once Penrith Panthers SG Ball player has shown his immense talent on tour and is most likely to prove himself further this season
William Penisini - This young man played for NSW in the u16 Origin series last year and has proven great abilities in both league and union
Joseph Sua'ali'i - You already know

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Notorious , Are you fair dinkum re Waverley playing Kings at the new Parramatta Stadium?!

Awesome .. this year's Waverley team is having it is easy ... some years just got to go to Narrabeen ;)

Is it a curtain raiser or something? What happens to all the other teams ... presumably still at QP?

WLF, Think you asked whether Scots 16As beat Newington ... I gather they did. Scots won 1sts to 4ths, and 16As ... but then 15As obviously was a cricket score ... and hopefully no one ended up in the ER

Notorious

Frank Row (1)
Notorious , Are you fair dinkum re Waverley playing Kings at the new Stadium?!

Is it a curtain raiser or something? What happens to all the other teams . presumably still at QP?

WLF, Think you asked whether Scots 16As beat Newington . I gather they did. Scots won 1sts to 4ths, and 16As . but then 15As obviously was a cricket score . and hopefully no one ended up in the ER

Yes SonnyDillWilliams, the game will be the curtain raiser to the Waratah game vs Jaguares. Big crowd to be expected. Other teams will play at home grounds, 2nds expected to be on a bus to the game straight after the full time whistle to provide reserves.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Notorious , Are you fair dinkum re Waverley playing Kings at the new Parramatta Stadium?!

Awesome .. this year's Waverley team is having it is easy . some years just got to go to Narrabeen ;)

Is it a curtain raiser or something? What happens to all the other teams . presumably still at QP?

WLF, Think you asked whether Scots 16As beat Newington . I gather they did. Scots won 1sts to 4ths, and 16As . but then 15As obviously was a cricket score . and hopefully no one ended up in the ER

Yes SDW, Notorius is spot on the game is a curtain raiser to the Tahs and starts at 5pm at the new Stadium.
All the other Kings v Waves games are at where originally scheduled, ie 13s,16s and all Opens except 1sts at QP.
Scots did win all the games you mentioned.
Footnote, the very strong Joeys 16as just beat Knox 22-20, so the CAS 16s comp now appears wide open.

R

RuggerFan1

Scots lower opens grades are looking exceptional. They clean swept Newington, and the only loss on the day was the 6ths against Cranbrook 4ths. The 4ths trounced Cranbrook 3rds 42-nil a lot of up-and-comers in that team. 5ths also looked dominant with a 52-10 win against New 4ths. The prop Mackenzie Beardsell standing out with his Dane Coles esque runs.

Scots 3rds shaping up well the fullback Jack Murdoch who has the potential to play ones but deciding to play 3rds (Jack Maddocks anyone?). Another standout Ed McCowan (NSW Schools u16 Prop) leading up the forward pack, all held together by the flying fijian Rob Heritage. Serious contender for Col Windon Shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.