• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
My mistake. It makes Knox "The Best at Trial Games in Sydney for 2019". Congrats.

Yep in terms of wins it does and either way they look to be growing well.
The Knox win over joeys was very good, but I believe joeys had quite a few regulars out, like 6-7, including Jude Gibbs.

I watched the Joeys v Scots game on Youtube and thought both teams looked very strong, also went out to the Kings Vv Waves game at Bankwest, what a game, these 2 sides will also be extremely hard to beat.
I am biased, but believe these 2 teams will win their respective comps.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Knox win over joeys was very good, but I believe joeys had quite a few regulars out, like 6-7, including Jude Gibbs.

I watched the Joeys v Scots game on Youtube and thought both teams looked very strong, also went out to the Kings Vv Waves game at Bankwest, what a game, these 2 sides will also be extremely hard to beat.
Joeys always give plenty of kids a go in those early trials which is why I always treat Joeys early games with caution. They lost to Trinity for example in one of the first trials last year but went on to win the competition.

I have Joeys as the lukest of lukewarm favourites ahead of Scots and Kings. Newington and Riverview I’m less sure about but I still think that Newington are capable of beating anyone on their day.

The only certainty I can see so far is a difficult season for Shore. Trials have been disappointing to say the least for them with Barker scoring 75 points against them last week. The current Shore year 11 is the year group which had to pull out of 15As two years ago so that would indicate a lack of depth beyond the year 12 cohort as well. I hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good from the outside.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Can someone please show this to the Joe Boys. The SJC 'Walk On' has evolved over the years to now sound like a bunch of sick parrots.with very flat voices. And when did they start singing it at trial matches?
Come on boys, you can do better than this - listen to the chorus and get it going at assembly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-jJlGd1so

what - get some recording on a loudspeaker over the top of 50,000 pissed scousers yelling and shouting out of tune? Give us a break. The Joeys walk-on has evolved into its own identity now - as discordant and badly out of rhythm as it is.
Remember Boydy is still the "choirmaster" and he can't hold a tune or sing a note to save his life.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)

I’m also biased towards Kings. The game against Joeys this week will give everyone a better idea how they are travelling. Last years game was brutal. Re kings v Wav, Kings let in 2 soft try’s in the first half against Wave but then fought back in the 2nd half with 13 players. It looked bad for Kings then within about 15 mins of play my view of the kings team changed dramatically. You rarely see such a large reversal of momentum especially when down 1-2 players. I would be interested to others view of the game.

I was told by the people sitting next to me that 12 of the 15 Wav players are ‘Easts league juniors’. If this is true, and I know it happens to varying degrees at other schools, none of us should get too excited ‘when our team’ wins because it’s hardly a school team. I don’t know how you would police it but there should probably be a limit to this. If all these league boys are taking 1st grade spots from others and end up playing league I’m not sure it’s good for rugby union. Also heard that a very strong backrower who finished school last year from Riverview has just been signed by the Raiders.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The only certainty I can see so far is a difficult season for Shore. Trials have been disappointing to say the least for them with Barker scoring 75 points against them last week. The current Shore year 11 is the year group which had to pull out of 15As two years ago so that would indicate a lack of depth beyond the year 12 cohort as well. I hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look good from the outside.

Agree not looking great for Shore but the 75 points was a bit of an aberration given they played close to 40 minutes a man down--it was 25-14 at half-time. A lot of year 10 boys playing in the 1s for Shore, a la New last year, which is providing more depth.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
I was told by the people sitting next to me that 12 of the 15 Wav players are ‘Easts league juniors’. If this is true, and I know it happens to varying degrees at other schools, none of us should get too excited ‘when our team’ wins because it’s hardly a school team. I don’t know how you would police it but there should probably be a limit to this.

Easily policed if you have a league contract / play with an NRL club, you are excluded from playing in the 1st and 2nd's comp. NRL teamlists in all age groups are public knowledge so easily identified. You sort those out that will take league over union post school.

Also schools will remove their double standards, as I don't understand how as a student you can have obligations to an NRL club and meet the extra circular activities expected of all the other boys at these schools.

It's the internet, its my opinion and I don't expect it to be a popular opinion.

FootyGuy

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m also biased towards Kings. The game against Joeys this week will give everyone a better idea how they are travelling. Last years game was brutal. Re kings v Wav, Kings let in 2 soft try’s in the first half against Wave but then fought back in the 2nd half with 13 players. It looked bad for Kings then within about 15 mins of play my view of the kings team changed dramatically. You rarely see such a large reversal of momentum especially when down 1-2 players. I would be interested to others view of the game.

I was told by the people sitting next to me that 12 of the 15 Wav players are ‘Easts league juniors’. If this is true, and I know it happens to varying degrees at other schools, none of us should get too excited ‘when our team’ wins because it’s hardly a school team. I don’t know how you would police it but there should probably be a limit to this. If all these league boys are taking 1st grade spots from others and end up playing league I’m not sure it’s good for rugby union. Also heard that a very strong backrower who finished school last year from Riverview has just been signed by the Raiders.
Rugby

Many of “these league boys” attended these private schools as normal full paying students in Year 7 and are entitled to compete to play 1st’s Rugby for their respective schools. The schools are loyal to its students first and foremost, not to the future of Rugby Union. In fact if Rugby Union was awake they could steal these league players while they are playing union. That’s what’s good for Rugby. How many players are signed by Rugby Union before the end of school....zero....to very few. What do you expect these kids to do.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Given any kid playing nrl has a contract of sorts, pretty much all the school 1st xv
Would be down on personnel ... if that rule were to ever come to pass

Nrl are like a recruitment pig at the trough... and aru hasn’t the foggiest

Oh well .... the nrl certainly is aiding the quality of school boy rugby

And ironically the cas and gps comps have become a waiting room for nrl players

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
Important to distinguish between set piece and other forward work. May not have been equal in scrum and lineout (although for the record - only 2 tight heads and 4 lineout losses). On the other hand, 5 turnovers at the breakdown to Joeys and none to Scots.

Agree entirely.
Did Scots' forwards secure enough ball for their backs to convert to points? Clearly not as the backs weren't so efficient on the day. Did Joeys' forwards secure enough for their classy backs? Yes; so job done.
And the only forward to get on the scorecard was Joeys no.6, who ran through, um, a number of Scots forwards. Oh but hang on @Balmain Sourgrapes let's just blame the ref for ruining your day [yawn].

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

A lot of year 10 boys playing in the 1s for Shore.

I actually don’t think there were any on the weekend. A few year 11 boys that played down because they were able to last year, but I don’t think there were any year 10 boys in the 1sts V Barker.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Agree entirely.
Did Scots' forwards secure enough ball for their backs to convert to points? Clearly not as the backs weren't so efficient on the day. Did Joeys' forwards secure enough for their classy backs? Yes; so job done.
And the only forward to get on the scorecard was Joeys no.6, who ran through, um, a number of Scots forwards. Oh but hang on @Balmain Sourgrapes let's just blame the ref for ruining your day [yawn].
Ha, again you missed the point. My day was not ruined. It was a great day of rugby for trial, it was disappointing the ref did not let the game flow. The Scots forwards gave the backs a heap of ball, the back just dropped it a crucial moments and any turnover was pounced on by the joeys back. I still stand by my comments regarding the set pieces.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Easily policed if you have a league contract / play with an NRL club, you are excluded from playing in the 1st and 2nd's comp. NRL teamlists in all age groups are public knowledge so easily identified. You sort those out that will take league over union post school.

Also schools will remove their double standards, as I don't understand how as a student you can have obligations to an NRL club and meet the extra circular activities expected of all the other boys at these schools.

It's the internet, its my opinion and I don't expect it to be a popular opinion.
For the integrity of the comp, either it should be banned altogether or it should be limited. The theme of ‘preserving the integrity of the comp’ is big in professional sport at the moment (athletics eg). The NRL has a salary cap for this very reason and it makes most of the NRL games close and exciting to watch.
The ARU is definitely asleep. League juniors playing schoolboy union is an opportunity for the aru but as soon as the ARU started to wake up and capture any of these talented boys, I’m sure that you would find the junior leagues club would be more cautious about paying private school fees. For those that think it’s ok because they aren’t scholarships and fees are being paid then you should know that league is paying the school fees, and they are paying them from year 7 in some cases. The integrity of the gps and cas comps are at risk. GPS and cas may also be asleep.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugby

Many of “these league boys” attended these private schools as normal full paying students in Year 7 and are entitled to compete to play 1st’s Rugby for their respective schools. The schools are loyal to its students first and foremost, not to the future of Rugby Union. In fact if Rugby Union was awake they could steal these league players while they are playing union. That’s what’s good for Rugby. How many players are signed by Rugby Union before the end of school..zero..to very few. What do you expect these kids to do.
I agree with everything you said except the bit about normal fee paying students from year 7. None of us know for sure about each case but I strongly suspect (and know in some cases) that league is reimbursing the parents the school fees. So yes, it appears they are normal fee paying students but they aren’t. If I was one of these boys or a parent, I would be definitely doing it so no criticism of the boys.
The good side is that we can turn up and watch U17/u18 rep rugby each week for free.....more income leakage for the ARU. Maybe they rename the 1st and 2nd comps to ‘professional comp’ and ‘schoolboy comp’ respectively :)

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Newington is very proud of Cameron Murray's achievements and post about him regularly. From all reports a great kid who works his arse off . He was a league player first and the school took advantage of his skill. Same with a lot of the other kids.
We see league raiding rugby schools but it is probably 50/50 with the schools raiding league for talent as well. They are kids, they will make good and bad decisions, taking a scholarship and getting a good education is a good decision.
Rugby just doesn't have the funds or spots available to fund much junior recruitment. A professional Shute Shield would change that, but would also change the nature of rugby. Catch 22.
Additionally most of those kids dont succeed long term in league so may come back after being in a professional environment.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
For the integrity of the comp, either it should be banned altogether or it should be limited. The theme of ‘preserving the integrity of the comp’ is big in professional sport at the moment (athletics eg). The NRL has a salary cap for this very reason and it makes most of the NRL games close and exciting to watch.
The ARU is definitely asleep. League juniors playing schoolboy union is an opportunity for the aru but as soon as the ARU started to wake up and capture any of these talented boys, I’m sure that you would find the junior leagues club would be more cautious about paying private school fees. For those that think it’s ok because they aren’t scholarships and fees are being paid then you should know that league is paying the school fees, and they are paying them from year 7 in some cases. The integrity of the gps and cas comps are at risk. GPS and cas may also be asleep.

It would be a big call for the NRL to start paying over $30k a year in year 7 for a kid that might one day be a league player. There are plenty of talent kids at non rugby schools playing league of similar or more ability. NRL pockets are big but most clubs that arent owned by NEWS LTD are broke or on the verge. I know that there are kids who are on scholarships at GPS schools in year 7&8. In fact one team has 4 maybe 5 in one team in the 14As. The boys play both school and SJRU. So i would say that is a good investment for rugby.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
It would be a big call for the NRL to start paying over $30k a year in year 7 for a kid that might one day be a league player. There are plenty of talent kids at non rugby schools playing league of similar or more ability. NRL pockets are big but most clubs that arent owned by NEWS LTD are broke or on the verge. I know that there are kids who are on scholarships at GPS schools in year 7&8. In fact one team has 4 maybe 5 in one team in the 14As. The boys play both school and SJRU. So i would say that is a good investment for rugby.
. I agree. Just pointing out that the comment ‘he is normal fee paying student’ is a line these schools use to justify it and it’s not accurate.

Chip kick

Allen Oxlade (6)
. I agree. Just pointing out that the comment ‘he is normal fee paying student’ is a line these schools use to justify it and it’s not accurate.

Rugby Australia would be across the scholarship program at schools and would see this as an investment without supporting the player directly. The new representative structure allows these kids to go straight through to the Academies or Gen Blue teams where RA can start investing in coaching etc. The biggest problem is the funnel becomes very tight from here as opposed to league.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
Various schools also have very varying "salary caps" if you wish. A lot of GPS/CAS schools have roughly 10% of spots available for scholarships. However this clearly becomes flawed when Knox have 400 kids per year, meaning they have 40 boys on scholarships, compared to others with 200ish, meaning they have 20. Obviously these boundaries are very pushed though.

Schools can then also be minimised with how much they distribute per sport. Sydney Grammar would probably give out as many academic scholarships as Scots gives out rugby. Another school might be more concerned with basketball imports, or soccer, or athletics, or swimming.

You then also have scholarships funded by individuals, for example Trinity has the Scott Sio scholarship, funded by Scott for a talented Islander fella to give him an opportunity he wouldnt otherwise have. I'm sure many schools have similar things, therefore finding loopholes in the system.

The wisest option in terms of supporting our talented rugby players through scholarships is not for ARU or NRL to pay for them all. It is for Australian schools to mirror the NCAA College scholarship funding system. All sports are matched with a certain percentage distributed to each sport based on the size of their roster, making it all equal. ARU and NRL should not be paying students school fees.

One eyed pirate

Ward Prentice (10)
Newington is very proud of Cameron Murray's achievements and post about him regularly. From all reports a great kid who works his arse off . He was a league player first and the school took advantage of his skill. Same with a lot of the other kids.
We see league raiding rugby schools but it is probably 50/50 with the schools raiding league for talent as well. They are kids, they will make good and bad decisions, taking a scholarship and getting a good education is a good decision.
Rugby just doesn't have the funds or spots available to fund much junior recruitment. A professional Shute Shield would change that, but would also change the nature of rugby. Catch 22.
Additionally most of those kids dont succeed long term in league so may come back after being in a professional environment.
I think there is a connection between recruiting and there is now only 5 competitive teams in the gps comp. the same thing would happen in the nrl if there wasn’t a salary cap. I like the sound of what you say but it’s making the schools sound more righteous than they really are. schools are doing this to win rugby games and not for the good of the child. The schools like to say otherwise but I think thats it’s just a sales pitch. If these schools are offering 2-4 indigenous, academic, music scholarships and then also offer maybe 25 sports scholarships/fee reimbursements, then the school’s motive is to improve the schools image, and its not about child’s well being.
Good luck to all teams this weekend. It will be another great spectacle of U17/18 rep rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.