• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Take a look at the lineout , not sure where the Massive Newington forwards are?

Correct, the Newington pack aren't the behemoths of seasons past.

The game was played at an extremely quick pace, end to end and side to side which meant that both sides were fatiguing towards the end. Having to defend their line for an extended period meant that Newington had to expend far more energy than the Joeys boys at that critical time in the match. Combine the yellow card, field position, pressure, weight of possession and fatigue and what followed was inevitable really.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Correct, the Newington pack aren't the behemoths of seasons past.

The game was played at an extremely quick pace, end to end and side to side which meant that both sides were fatiguing towards the end. Having to defend their line for an extended period meant that Newington had to expend far more energy than the Joeys boys at that critical time in the match. Combine the yellow card, field position, pressure, weight of possession and fatigue and what followed was inevitable really.

Correct Quick Hands , no doubt Joeys deserved to win I am not questioning this, the score doesn't reflect how close this was , great coaching to pick a fast mobile pack that could go the distance.
Decisions to take the scrums and keep the foot on the throat instead of penalty goal for me was the reason they won the game.
That 10 minutes wore out Newington , who would of loved to kick off again with a chance to attack.

Overall great game , congrats Joeys who will take 1 hell of a team effort to defeat them.

To much depth , the seconds are very strong this depth is what i think will get Joeys the premiership this season.

Brave New , see if they can bounce back this week.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Joeys picked loose forwards in the pack and left best front rower and 2nd rowers in 2nds.

Gamble paid off , smart coaching yes
A great strategy for schoolboy rugby, a poor one for the future development of the game.

(Mr Cynical has highjacked formerflanker's log-on)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys in a cricket score

Kings care of returning stars

and Scots in a ding dong battle ... that will home down to Scots superior fitness

PS 4 training sessions for the Joeys 15As ... wow ...explains a lot.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
PS 4 training sessions for the Joeys 15As . wow .explains a lot.

Joeys A and B teams actually train the same program. There are three field sessions with extra cardio/strength sessions thrown in.
The S&C coach is an old boy, Kevin O'Kane who runs a real "blood and bone" style program with lots of emphasis I believe on the legs and and a powerful core. Many schools normally focus on upper body development and try and get massive. (we know who) Joeys seem to focus on having a small BUT powerful, nimble, smarter mentality who can take the hit by using the others size against them.

Reminds me of this type of battle. (with out the eventual gloating that led to a mistake)

viperandmountain_2929455b.jpg

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys A and B teams actually train the same program. There are three field sessions with extra cardio/strength sessions thrown in.
The S&C coach is an old boy, Kevin O'Kane who runs a real "blood and bone" style program with lots of emphasis I believe on the legs and and a powerful core. Many schools normally focus on upper body development and try and get massive. (we know who) Joeys seem to focus on having a small BUT powerful, nimble, smarter mentality who can take the hit by using the others size against them.

Reminds me of this type of battle. (with out the eventual gloating that led to a mistake)

Calm down Joker , they aren't doing anything different to the other top teams.

Just shit loads more to choose from.

Not rocket science

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys in a cricket score

Kings care of returning stars

and Scots in a ding dong battle . that will home down to Scots superior fitness

PS 4 training sessions for the Joeys 15As . wow .explains a lot.

Not so sure Kings will have returning stars though. Think both centres will be out again this week. One definitely (the boy who played 18s SoO). The other in doubt.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Correct Quick Hands , no doubt Joeys deserved to win I am not questioning this, the score doesn't reflect how close this was , great coaching to pick a fast mobile pack that could go the distance.
Decisions to take the scrums and keep the foot on the throat instead of penalty goal for me was the reason they won the game.
That 10 minutes wore out Newington , who would of loved to kick off again with a chance to attack.

Overall great game , congrats Joeys who will take 1 hell of a team effort to defeat them.

To much depth , the seconds are very strong this depth is what i think will get Joeys the premiership this season.

Brave New , see if they can bounce back this week.

Yes, Joeys will be hard to beat but not unbeatable. We know that they won't be beaten on fitness or speed - Newington actually played the same style of rugby as Joeys on Saturday it's just that Joeys were good enough to win. No doubt that the match was much more of a contest than the final score indicated - something like 24-18 would have been a better reflection of the closeness of the teams. None of which is to detract in any way from the Joeys win.

Think Newington can bounce back. I think that they can beat Kings this week and go into the holidays 1/1

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)

If i remember this correctly Joker the smaller bloke got a bit cocky and ended up with his eyeballs coming out of his a hole....or thereabouts....may not be such a good analogy...

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
If i remember this correctly Joker the smaller bloke got a bit cocky and ended up with his eyeballs coming out of his a hole..or thereabouts..may not be such a good analogy.

Hence the disclaimer....(with out the eventual gloating that led to a mistake)
Great scene though

Discoweb

Frank Row (1)
Joeys picked loose forwards in the pack and left best front rower and 2nd rowers in 2nds.

Gamble paid off , smart coaching yes New did fatigue would have been interesting though had of New scored 2 more tries that went begging and half time was 33-8 instead.

This could have gone either way , Joeys were gone early and another try would have been different outcome.

Firstly a disclaimer - my son is playing in the front row for joeys 1st so with that in mind I will make the following comments;

1. Of the 6 front rowers in the 1st & 2nds all bar the 1st XV hooker are Yr 11 boys;
2. two of the five are long term front rowers, three are converted back rowers/2nd rowers;
3. There is a focus on the scrum noting Andrew Blades in the rugby coordinator;
4. I am on old front rower and very much old school when it comes to front row play and the focus on scrums, I know my son has been packing scrums since he could walk;
5. they have picked two light/fast second rowers who have been playing super well and the game plan, like most recent Joeys sides I have seen is about lots of ball movement, light contract and run the other teams around.

Score against Newington flattered Joeys and definitely did not reflect how tight the game was, I agree there were a couple of plays that if they went Newingtons way would have meant a very different game but this Joeys team seems to be able to scramble in defense and counter well and find a way to grind out wins which is a real complement to them.

Still shaping up to be a few great games ahead and a very tight competition.

Tap n Go

Allen Oxlade (6)
Firstly a disclaimer - my son is playing in the front row for joeys 1st so with that in mind I will make the following comments;

1. Of the 6 front rowers in the 1st & 2nds all bar the 1st XV hooker are Yr 11 boys;
2. two of the five are long term front rowers, three are converted back rowers/2nd rowers;
3. There is a focus on the scrum noting Andrew Blades in the rugby coordinator;
4. I am on old front rower and very much old school when it comes to front row play and the focus on scrums, I know my son has been packing scrums since he could walk;
5. they have picked two light/fast second rowers who have been playing super well and the game plan, like most recent Joeys sides I have seen is about lots of ball movement, light contract and run the other teams around.

Score against Newington flattered Joeys and definitely did not reflect how tight the game was, I agree there were a couple of plays that if they went Newingtons way would have meant a very different game but this Joeys team seems to be able to scramble in defense and counter well and find a way to grind out wins which is a real complement to them.

Still shaping up to be a few great games ahead and a very tight competition.

Thanks for clarifying this Disco, Joeys boys are very mobile and have depth and options in the seconds.
Congrats to your boy the front row were strong, good luck for the rest of the season.

runningrugby1

Herbert Moran (7)
My thoughts on New vs Joeys after watching the footage.

In terms of players, we've heard a lot said about Kaeo Weekes as a star player - personally I did not think he was a standout player at all on Saturday, particularly in the first half. Jack Mossman and John Connolly both better fullbacks in my opinion, but the wealth of talent is amazing. On the other hand, Tolu Koula is an absolute freakish talent. Like watching Shane Warne bowl when he has the ball, you always know something is about to happen! They really missed him when he was binned.

O'Kane and Bokenham both outstanding players in defence and at the breakdown. Joeys halfback is a clever fella also and really helps the smarts of this Joeys side.

Personally, I'd say Newington were the better side, Joeys were the smarter side. Newington matched Joeys outstanding defence and always looked threatening in attack. Joeys just had someone in their ear, potentially Andrew Blades, telling them to just tire them out and wait out the game. Eventually, New lost their cool a little and Joeys ran in a few, the plan coming together perfectly.

Very exciting rugby to watch. Can't wait for View vs Joeys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My thoughts were the same. Newington had the majority of the ball and the Tolu Koula was a standout. Joeys scrambled well and Newington made errors which cost them points.

What impressed me though was the amount of cover defense the Joeys 10 got through in the game. He would swoop from the clouds like Superman to snuff out an attack. Noted as well was the tackling technique Joeys are now using. They are going lower than previous years and using one man low, one man high to cover the offload. They are bringing them down to the ground quicker than in the past few seasons where they would wrestle with the bigger beasts (ala...Scots and Kings)

Finally, I did enjoy the amount of sideline support from both sets of supporters and was even surprised Joeys brought out the old hymn "Ancient Words" one one occasion.

Words of Life, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us Home.

and they certainly did. Maybe this is the Joeys secret weapon of 2019. Prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.