• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2020

T

the Business

Evening "Bigboypete",

You have to consider that most of Newington's 1stXV are a part of the athletics program as most high level schoolboy players are encouraged to participate in this.

Unsure if Grammar does the same, please let me know.

Regards, TDO.

AGREED TDO,

GRAMMAR WOULD BE FOOLISH TO GO INTO THE THIRD XV COMPETITION COMPLACENT. I HEAR THERE IS A LOT OF DEPTH IN THE RIVERVIEW PROGRAM, ESPECIALLY REGARDING THEIR 4TH XV.

YOURS SINCERELY

THE BUSINESS

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Evening all,
As I sit on my porch puffing on one of my last imported Cuban cigars, while the lovely evening breeze runs across my admittedly thinning hair, I can’t help but get a sense of excitement for the upcoming season.
This year has been, undoubtedly, a year of uncertainty and adversity. However, as it always has been, Rugby is the one constant that I keep coming back to. I am incredibly excited for the season ahead, and I wish you all the teams all the best.
As a first time poster, I feel it is my duty to introduce myself: The Metre Eater (as they called me back in the day). I did not attend any of the NSW GPS schools, but my interest in it has grown exponentially since I was introduced to it, by chance, on a wintry day in Hunter’s Hill back in 2001. I hope to provide you all with some top notch commentary and predictions for the upcoming season.

All the best now

TME.

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
Evening all,
As I sit on my porch puffing on one of my last imported Cuban cigars, while the lovely evening breeze runs across my admittedly thinning hair, I can’t help but get a sense of excitement for the upcoming season.
This year has been, undoubtedly, a year of uncertainty and adversity. However, as it always has been, Rugby is the one constant that I keep coming back to. I am incredibly excited for the season ahead, and I wish you all the teams all the best.
As a first time poster, I feel it is my duty to introduce myself: The Metre Eater (as they called me back in the day). I did not attend any of the NSW GPS schools, but my interest in it has grown exponentially since I was introduced to it, by chance, on a wintry day in Hunter’s Hill back in 2001. I hope to provide you all with some top notch commentary and predictions for the upcoming season.

All the best now

TME.

THE METRE EATER,

What a name. And what a time to welcome a newbie to the group; the year of COVID-19 - where human connection is paramount.

I hope you have the best of times in this communal group dedicated to schoolboy rugby that you so dearly love. By any chance TME did you happen to catch who won the senior shot put? I hear some big units are pulled off the footy teams for that event and some whispers have been thrown around about potential injuries.

Deepest condolences

Brother Joe

T

The Hammer

Hammer here.

Looking to get more active as we approach the start of the season (boy am I keen).

I pose a question to all you AAGPS purists.

What is the best AAGPS team to NOT win the premiership in the last 5 years?

My answer you ask? 2016 Iggies, so much potential however they just couldn’t get the job done. I followed closely as one of my nephews was actually in the team (I won’t say his name to save him the embarrassment). With every member of the team playing representative rugby for GPS and several in fact playing for NSW or Combined States, this team had the potential to be one of the best ever. A loss to Scots in the torrential rain and a heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Shore in Northbridge saw this team, who beat Joeys in HH, walk away with nothing but thoughts of what could have been.

Let me know your answers to the question.

Hammer.

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hammer here.

Looking to get more active as we approach the start of the season (boy am I keen).

I pose a question to all you AAGPS purists.

What is the best AAGPS team to NOT win the premiership in the last 5 years?

My answer you ask? 2016 Iggies, so much potential however they just couldn’t get the job done. I followed closely as one of my nephews was actually in the team (I won’t say his name to save him the embarrassment). With every member of the team playing representative rugby for GPS and several in fact playing for NSW or Combined States, this team had the potential to be one of the best ever. A loss to Scots in the torrential rain and a heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Shore in Northbridge saw this team, who beat Joeys in HH, walk away with nothing but thoughts of what could have been.

Let me know your answers to the question.

Hammer.

Ahhhh 2016 Iggies,

What a team! However, I believe they did actually suffer a later loss in the season to the boys at HH.

I believe the heart of the problem was in the team as a whole, sure you can put 15 great individuals together, but they won’t compare to the likes of 1sts squads with great teamwork mindsets: we saw this with Grammar last year and Scots in 2018.

Personally (whilst no one cares what I think), the best team to NOT win the premiership in the last five years would have to go to the 2015 St Joseph’s line up. Yes they weren’t necessarily premiership material, they were the next best thing to match up against those powerhouse newington and scots Squads.

You pose a great question Hammer, and I hope this discussion continues.

Cordially,

Bro Joe.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Ahhhh 2016 Iggies,

What a team! However, I believe they did actually suffer a later loss in the season to the boys at HH.

I believe the heart of the problem was in the team as a whole, sure you can put 15 great individuals together, but they won’t compare to the likes of 1sts squads with great teamwork mindsets: we saw this with Grammar last year and Scots in 2018.

Personally (whilst no one cares what I think), the best team to NOT win the premiership in the last five years would have to go to the 2015 St Joseph’s line up. Yes they weren’t necessarily premiership material, they were the next best thing to match up against those powerhouse newington and scots Squads.

You pose a great question Hammer, and I hope this discussion continues.

Cordially,

Bro Joe.

Reverend Joseph;
Thankyou for your input into this thread. I must say I thrive on this sort of commentary.

It was just the other day when I was pondering a similar question.
I, for one, believe that the 2nd XV competition does not receive adequate praise in this forum. As such, I would like to offer you my opinion on the best 2nd XV squad who were unsuccessful in their struggle to hoist the hallowed W.S Corr Cup. Undoubtedly, it would have to be the Sydney Church of England Grammar School [Shore] 2nd XV. This outfit posed a legitimate threat to all their competitors, and I must say it was a shame that they ended up succumbing to the might of the Hunter’s Hill marists.
Any feedback on this assessment would be greatly appreciated.

Be well now.
TME

Bluegumnationalpark

Frank Row (1)
Good afternoon gents I am a long time green and gold Enthusiast, and frankly have been nervous to post my view on the upcoming AAGPS competition, now posting my first article which I am very excited about. Would anyone have any insight or knowledge about which school 1st 15 team will win the comp this year or just who has the strongest squad to take it all the the way

Here is my top 4 to win the title and bring rich power and success to their School Not to all this is not in order..

1. Joeys (last years victors will be strong as always)
2. View (Dark horse to win this years comp look out on this)
3. Scots (Pride themselves on success will be strong)
4. Kings (Can they match the talent with wins and trophies time will tell)

My pick and I may be wrong view although small can win this year but if others think different please tell me

I am Grateful for this opportunity to be a new member of this green and gold thread look forward to hearing from our great analysts who live and breath watching school boys run hard and tackle hard

In my highest regard
Yours truely (Blue gum national park)

Discard all evidence Tm Of blue gum national park

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like TAS are out so Shore 3rds have a bye.

Interesting that according to the draw, TAS seem to be playing three rounds (R3 v Scots; R4 v High; and R7 v Joeys) with all three games in Sydney. Do the teams not playing TAS in other rounds get a bye? Do the TAS games count towards the 3rd XV premiership? Significant shortage of information here, but I am sure the schools know what is happening.

Brother Joseph

Frank Nicholson (4)
Good afternoon gents I am a long time green and gold Enthusiast, and frankly have been nervous to post my view on the upcoming AAGPS competition, now posting my first article which I am very excited about. Would anyone have any insight or knowledge about which school 1st 15 team will win the comp this year or just who has the strongest squad to take it all the the way

Here is my top 4 to win the title and bring rich power and success to their School Not to all this is not in order..

My pick and I may be wrong view although small can win this year but if others think different please tell me

I am Grateful for this opportunity to be a new member of this green and gold thread look forward to hearing from our great analysts who live and breath watching school boys run hard and tackle hard

In my highest regard

Well the stars have certainly aligned BGNP for what is to be a competitive season and one of the most evenly matched in a long time.

Not since the Riverview culture deficit of 2012 have they had such a strong chance at taking home the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and lets not forget, the highly coveted 4th xv competition that seems to be so popular on this forum.

However, in light of the 1st and 2nd XV competition, Joeys, kings and scots will serve as good opposition, utilising their professional S&C programs to gain any athletic advantage possible for a certainly ambiguous season to come.

In Somewhat of a parallel fashion, Grammar has incorporated their first S&C program ever in order to gain a size advantage. Look out for them in the 3rd XV competition.

I’ve been Bro Joe,

Have a productive day.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting that according to the draw, TAS seem to be playing three rounds (R3 v Scots; R4 v High; and R7 v Joeys) with all three games in Sydney. Do the teams not playing TAS in other rounds get a bye? Do the TAS games count towards the 3rd XV premiership? Significant shortage of information here, but I am sure the schools know what is happening.

The School advised me: "Jim - the competition has started but TAS is not part of it this year due to the Sydney schools deciding not to travel to Armidale for the TAS home games due to COVID. All going well TAS will play their three GPS away games as non-comp games - v Scots on 22 August, v High on 29 August, v Joeys on 19 September. Of course all this could change at any time. The TAS teams are otherwise competing in a regional competition in Armidale and Tamworth which is deemed by all parties to be a safer option this year for all communities concerned. In line with restrictions, no spectators are permitted at any games."

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Well the stars have certainly aligned BGNP for what is to be a competitive season and one of the most evenly matched in a long time.

Not since the Riverview culture deficit of 2012 have they had such a strong chance at taking home the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and lets not forget, the highly coveted 4th xv competition that seems to be so popular on this forum.

However, in light of the 1st and 2nd XV competition, Joeys, kings and scots will serve as good opposition, utilising their professional S&C programs to gain any athletic advantage possible for a certainly ambiguous season to come.

In Somewhat of a parallel fashion, Grammar has incorporated their first S&C program ever in order to gain a size advantage. Look out for them in the 3rd XV competition.

I’ve been Bro Joe,

Have a productive day.

Interesting assessment here, Holy Joe.

It is certainly an exciting prospect to hear a Grammar are finally looking to improve their rugby program. As the old saying goes, when grammar rugby is succeeding, the AAGPS is succeeding.

You raise an interesting assessment about the “2012 culture deficit”, brother. For the less enlightened on the forum (such as me, LOL!), would you mind going into greater detail about this mythologized event? I would love to grasp an appreciation for the underlying causes of the recent AAGPS premiership landscape.

Looking forward to our future correspondence.
TME.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

In my highest regard

Hello Bluegum

I feel these days you have to increase it to 5. Yes, Newington cannot be ruled out yet. I have been told they will have pace in their backs. With many of the backs emerging from their highly competitive 16As. I know they have lost their star Winger. But there is some real talent within New. Many of the top players of their outstanding 15As been have promoted into the Open Division. Yes , there maybe an adjustment period, as they transition into the Open Division. But if this transition occurs quickly, they could upset any one the more favoured sides such as Joeys and Scots. So a young side particularly in the backs. Reports from their Barker trial, support this belief, as they looked extremely dangerous and adventurous. However, the forwards were outplayed by Barker, so they are a work in progress. Time will tell.

Regards

B&W

T

the Business

Dear B&W,

I write to you regarding your post above. I was watching the Grammar game on Saturday, and I must say, all evidence points to the contrary of your claims. I want the best for Newington this season, but their young and inexperienced side was dominated by a far more physical and mature Grammar side. If anything, I Grammar are the team to watch this year.

Sincerely,
The Blumpkin Enthusiast
TBE

Good afternoon “The Blumpkin Enthusiast”

Glad to have a new active member in the chat.

Just was inquiring into the sudden focus on the Grammar 1st XV.

As far as I am concerned, up to 12 Newington 1st XV players were at GPS athletics on the weekend. As such Grammar was versing a severely weakened and depleted 1st XV which were primary factors in their hard fought victory. Not to shy away from what a feat this was for a team who has struggled to even beat 3rd XV’s over the last few years but one would think that they will come away from this game complacent and with a hubristic sense of overconfidence.

Kindest of regards,

The Business

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Aren't you Riverview boys preparing for the upcoming HSC trials? ;)

I thought so too....the remarkable polite Jesuits manners coupled with excellent punctuation and style gave them away.
Back to the dorm rooms

30657097286.jpg

thedutchoven

Chris McKivat (8)
Dear B&W,

I write to you regarding your post above. I was watching the Grammar game on Saturday, and I must say, all evidence points to the contrary of your claims. I want the best for Newington this season, but their young and inexperienced side was dominated by a far more physical and mature Grammar side. If anything, I Grammar are the team to watch this year.

Sincerely,
The Blumpkin Enthusiast
TBE

Hello "The Blumpkin Enthusiast", alias "TBE".

Im sure the Grammar boys are fired up from their win, but regarding numbers and lacking depth we will see how they persevere this season as i'm sure they only have 3 teams in the opens squad.

Injuries and the like will test those lower teams to play in the third division.

Irrespective of this, As "B. Joseph" has mentioned they have started their own S&C programs, this will help those boys in the black and gold yet, as all things, like schoolboy rugby, take time.

The programs of S&C take time, they wont reap the benefits at an instant, with most GPS schools having their extended opens squad under strict conditions since year 11. Starting a S&C program is too late being this year with their first GPS game this weekend.

Love the enthusiasm from "TBE" and "Br. Joseph", yet it will not be this year.

Possibly in the next decade, they have a large game of catch up to do with the other GPS contenders.

Hope this brings you back to reality.

Appreciate the concerns,

Warmest regards, The Dutch Oven, alias TDO.