• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Little bit of history time.

The fifteen in 1935 went through the season undefeated, their smallest winning margin being 22 to 6 against King's. The team scored 263 points (60 tries, 31 converted, and seven penalty goals) against 27 points (five tries and four penalty goals). Maurice Whelan showed pace, very sure handling, and ability to beat his opponent. He finished up the season by reaching a record points score for a G.P.S. player, 131 points in the seven competition games, made up of 16 tries, 7 penalty goals, and 31 conversions. I believe this still a AAGPS record.

16 tries...all done wearing the "WLF winter label" uniforms.

E0Cq-dWVUAA_38i

Luv it Joker, see that winter uniform works!

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)

The fifteen in 1935 went through the season undefeated, their smallest winning margin being 22 to 6 against King's. The team scored 263 points (60 tries, 31 converted, and seven penalty goals) against 27 points (five tries and four penalty goals). Maurice Whelan showed pace, very sure handling, and ability to beat his opponent. He finished up the season by reaching a record points score for a G.P.S. player, 131 points in the seven competition games, made up of 16 tries, 7 penalty goals, and 31 conversions. I believe this still a AAGPS record.

E0Cq-dWVUAA_38i

Not quite right Joker - Maurie Whelan scored 17 tries (@3pts) in 1935, plus 31 goals (@2pts) plus 7 penalties (@3pts) = 134pts

This record was equalled at Joeys by Nathan Sievert in 2005, who scored 9 tries (@5pts), 43 goals (@2pts) and 1 penalty (@3pts) = 134 points but obviously he had the advantage of tries being increased from 3 to 5 pts. Using the same original scoring system, his total was only 116 pts.

Record for most tries in a single season is jointly held by two great Joeys wingers Jim Carlton and Jim McCann who scored 21 tries each in 1927 and 1957 respectively. Jim Carlton scored an incredible total of 50 tries over 3 seasons (1925-6-7). Jim McCann scored 41 tries (1955-6-7). Both were great athletes: McCann still holds the GPS record for the long jump (7.42m in 1957) which is the oldest record in the book, and he was a bronze medal sprinter for Australia in the 1958 Com Games. Carlton was a sprinter for Australia in the 1928 Olympics. He is the father of media personality Mike Carlton.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I will check with the archive ladies. Maybe the College magazine was wrong?

In 1957. St. Joseph's went through the season undefeated for the third successive year. This year the team scored 49 tries without having a try registered against them.

Agent

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Anyone have information of the Shore 1st XV line up? TA

Analyser I watched Shore play Kinross during the holidays and Shore won pretty convincingly - about 7 tries to 2. I’m well and truely out of the loop with the who’s who or Shore rugby these days but they looked pretty sharp especially in the backs. Apparently Shore were not at full strength for that game so hopefully they can show some improvement this year in the GPS comp.

Hopefully someone else will give us a more in-depth rundown on what we can expect.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
With the travel bubble being opened with New Zealand, does anyone know if there will be an Australian Schoolboys team that will get the chance to play NZ schools?

From what I saw at Rat Park last Saturday, my early tip for the 10/12 combo is Bowen and Odonnell from View. Looked very crisp, as if they have been playing together for 15 years.

Jorgenson (son of Peter) would be my tip in the 15 jersey, looked classy as a youngster last year.

Toodles
BP

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

E0Cq-dWVUAA_38i

FINALLY, WE NOW KNOW THE ORIGINS OF THE SQUIRREL GRIP

thanks Joker

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Each year I hear the same hogwash from Stanmore: the pundits telling us that Newington have improved significantly and that they pose a threat to the big boys this year. Yet it is often the case that the Newington fixture is often nothing more than a respite from the tough competition from other teams. While I hope this year will be different for New, for the sake of the whole GPS comp, early signs are telling us otherwise. I suppose we will just have to wait and see...

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Unfortunately I had to leave before the firsts, so I have no first hand knowledge. I was told by some Newington parents who were there that Waverley were very good and that the score flattered Newington a little.

Unfortunately I think it's going to be a long, hard year for Newington. The 1sts are young and they'll need every available player on the field (which almost never happens to any school) to be competitive - as we were completely outclassed in 2nds and 3rds. I was very impressed with the depth that Waverley put out there and the style of rugby played in the 2nds and 3rds was very slick.

QH, Remember just game 1, a long way to go!

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Where are you hearing this? You certainly wouldn't have been hearing it around here for 2 or 3 years.

They appointed a new Director of Rugby 3 years ago and since that time the program has gone backwards. Things were on the improve under the previous DOR, but for some reason he wasn't renewed.

Last year certainly my take on the discussion around the competition was that newington were the ones to watch. Newington always seem to have some great young talent but it hasn’t recently been resulting in any success. I hope they get the administrative side of this issue right so that they can continue to grow this young talent and produce a team that pushes for the premiership each year.

Rugbyparent

Bob McCowan (2)
With the travel bubble being opened with New Zealand, does anyone know if there will be an Australian Schoolboys team that will get the chance to play NZ schools?

From what I saw at Rat Park last Saturday, my early tip for the 10/12 combo is Bowen and Odonnell from View. Looked very crisp, as if they have been playing together for 15 years.

Jorgenson (son of Peter) would be my tip in the 15 jersey, looked classy as a youngster last year.

Toodles
BP

The AUs v NZ games are still on the calendar the Gen Blue program distributed. Hopefully the NZ travel bubble will continue and allow those boys a chance to play. It does seem NSW rugby is trying to get all eligible players involved - School & Club, including those boys finished school. Late June all the associations play each other for a chance to make various NSW teams to play against Qld academy or at the schools tournament

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Where are you hearing this? You certainly wouldn't have been hearing it around here for 2 or 3 years.

They appointed a new Director of Rugby 3 years ago and since that time the program has gone backwards. Things were on the improve under the previous DOR, but for some reason he wasn't renewed.

QH, it's BP

From what I remember, Newington were serious competitors around 2014-2017 in the 1st's (not so much throughout the age groups), any clue who's choice it was to appoint a new rugby director. If I remember correctly they had an unreal team and won plenty of games.

BP

Martian Manhunter

Frank Row (1)
In 2017 Newington lost to Shore in the preseason

And the competition finished 4th, one win with a for of 137 and against of 218

Do you think it might have something to do with the coaching. I hear that the head coach used to be head coach at Sydney Grammar and had little success there. I don't believe that they have any shortage in talent so there must be something else afoot.

Kind regards,
Manhunter

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
I’m led to believe that there are 8 changes to the Newington 1st XV team for tomorrow’s battle against Barker College due to the injuries sustained against Waverley last week. 12 of the 15 boys are in Year 11.

Good luck to both schools and may the best team win.