• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Do you think it might have something to do with the coaching. I hear that the head coach used to be head coach at Sydney Grammar and had little success there. I don't believe that they have any shortage in talent so there must be something else afoot.

Kind regards,
Manhunter

The Director of Rugby is not the coach of the 1st XV however he is accountable for the Newington Rugby Program and the results it produces.

I agree with QH, Talent is there, but not being developed.

Since Lauchlan Fear’s appointment as the Director of Rugby in 2019,
The 1st XV have only won a total of 3 games (2019 vs Kings & Shore / 2020 vs Shore)

The 2nd XV have only won a total of 3 games (2019 vs Riverview, Scotts & Shore / 2020 0 Wins)

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
Indeed you are correct and he's running rugby at Newington I suspect, along similar lines to what he did at Grammar and we're getting Grammar like results.

You'll note how Grammar have improved since he moved to Newington ;)

Talent is there, but not being developed.

You’re right, the talent is there and definitely not being developed by the school at all. The school has never developed the talent of the boys, only the performance of the team as a whole. If the boys want development its something they need to seek out themselves because they’re not getting it from the school, which is what i believe a number of the boys have done. They haven’t had great player combinations in key positions for many years, and their lack of foresight is now bearing dry fruits.

Newington will struggle this year, but they may come good next year....just maybe.....if boys don’t leave the program after this year. There are some grumbles amongst the ranks and many boys (who were previous in the As and Bs in former years) have opted to not play at all this year.

The current year 12 boys are in a cohort that was identified early on as a group that will struggle, however the current year 11 boys, since year 7, were something special and had only lost 1 or 2 games throughout the years (in the As and Bs). Now that those boys and the current year 12 boys are mixed together in the opens they’ve lost the chemistry that seemed to work so well for them all as a stand alone age group.

I disagree that the previous DoR was fantastic, he only cared about the 1st and 2nd. I understand he was replaced because of his poor win/loss record and it’s said that he only wanted to play lesser graded teams in the lower grades to boost the win/loss ratio. the current DoR seemed promising at the beginning, and he’s taken a great interest in the school as a whole (plus the junior campuses, which no one has done previously) and not only focusing on 1st and 2nd, although it seems he’s much the same as the former one. And he doesn’t appear to have the support of a majority of the boys, is the mail that I’ve received.

It disappointing and Newington will struggle this year.

Side note: i heard current DoR moved from Grammar because it wasn’t a “rugby” school and he wasn’t able to implement the programs that he wanted that would allow Grammar to progress.

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)
For the early risers, this morning the Riverview 10th XV defeated their Oakhill peers 24-7 in a physical and entertaining clash at Lane Cove.

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m led to believe that there are 8 changes to the Newington 1st XV team for tomorrow’s battle against Barker College due to the injuries sustained against Waverley last week. 12 of the 15 boys are in Year 11.

Good luck to both schools and may the best team win.

Not entirely correct. There were a number of boys who were out of contention even before the Waverley game, but agree that they don’t have a full contingent on the field. 5 were lost due to concussion against Waverley (some were friendly fire!!)

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
The Director of Rugby is not the coach of the 1st XV however he is accountable for the Newington Rugby Program and the results it produces.

I agree with QH, Talent is there, but not being developed.

Since Lauchlan Fear’s appointment as the Director of Rugby in 2019,
The 1st XV have only won a total of 3 games (2019 vs Kings & Shore / 2020 vs Shore)

The 2nd XV have only won a total of 3 games (2019 vs Riverview, Scotts & Shore / 2020 0 Wins)

Wow, they’re some disappointing stats. Didn’t realise it was so poor.

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys 5th 17 Kinross 2nd 0
Joeys 7th 36 Cranbrook 4th 12
Joeys 12th 17 Kinross 4th 20

Joeys 16F 12 Kinross 16B 24

Joeys 15B 19 St Ignatius' 12

Joeys 14A 41 King's 5
Joeys 14E 22 Kinross 14B 45

Joeys 13D 21 King's 13C 17

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys 10th 57 St Patrick's 4th 7

Joeys 16D 31 Cranbrook 16C 7

Joeys 15A 15 Oakhill 22

Joeys 14D 36 King's 14C 14

Joeys 13B 73 King's 0

Luca A

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys 4th 17 King's 3rd 12

Joeys 15C 21 Kinross 15A 15

Joeys 13E 43 Kinross 13B 10
Joeys 13F 5 King's 13D 44

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just FYI, if people are wondering why there are bugger all King’s teams playing Joeys today it’s because they had to reschedule cadet camp. It was originally scheduled for that week of flooding rain last term and the army rightfully closed the Singleton base that week. Having missed it last year due to Covid they didn’t want the boys to miss it again so this week was the best compromise. 1sts, 2nds and 3rds players came back this morning so those teams haven’t trained together, and everyone else is still there.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
92981BF3-09F7-43AC-944B-E50CE5479EB4.jpeg

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
Well worked try from Joeys at the restart, to 14 for his 2nd, Sam Taber - he looks quick and has a nice in and away.