• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes, we're pretty much in agreement.

On Lindfield, the current Sportsmaster their is Mick Adams who has played a lot of 1st grade for both Manly and Warringah and I'd doubt that there's anything that LF could teach him about coaching or organisation.

Curiously Newington have allowed him to be assistant coach of St Augustine's 1st XV, which I find baffling in the extreme.

Bizarre indeed!

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
News best were. 3 Tom Maclean. 14 Seluini Fakaosifolau who got no clean ball. The New scrum needs work. More often they were on roller skates on their own feed. Billy zdickens the 9 had a pretty decent game. His passes were direct and quick. Defence is a problem . Given they were a bigger team than Barker they just were not dominant at the tackle. I will say this they came up against a well coached and very fit Barker team who have some real class players. Let’s see how the season pans out for New. If they were missing some players from last weeks game against Waves that could be a factor.

really? New was not bigger than the barker boys.

#3 for New scored an outstanding try, and is quick - he’s athletic boy. But the rest....hmmmm.....there’s a reason barker put on 9 tries.

Kicking a ball back to an attacking side isn’t the smartest of plays..

Barker severely outplayed New in the 9/10 combination, and New has struggled in this area for a number of years.

Defense was a big problem. Too many sitting duck missed tackles on New side.

Barker was great at first phase ball and New was very deficient in this regard.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Plenty to understand WLF. Namely, boys mature, get bigger and change. Plenty in the team been there since Year 7, and lots have improved with good coaching. Yes, a couple of new boys this year (9 & 10), however the core of the team have been at Barker for a while. I remember the 81-0 score line too, we had a 60-0 against Trinity that year too, then beat them in the 15’s. Do you remember the score in the 16A’s mate, we weren’t far from knocking you off..

Thanks WTF, I am very pleased that it's the core of boys who have been there so long, much too much talk about newcomers from other people, and yes I agree boys change and get coached better.

I do remember that 16as game very vividly as you do, the game never got going! History now.

You will get a good feeling as to how Barker are going next week v Joeys. By some accounts Knox could have won their game v Joeys, only a try in it, so Knox are unexpectedly the real deal this year!

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Thanks WTF, I am very pleased that it's the core of boys who have been there so long, much too much talk about newcomers from other people, and yes I agree boys change and get coached better.

I do remember that 16as game very vividly as you do, the game never got going! History now.

You will get a good feeling as to how Barker are going next week v Joeys. By some accounts Knox could have won their game v Joeys, only a try in it, so Knox are unexpectedly the real deal this year!

I wouldn't be putting too much store on the Joeys-Knox game as a pointer to either side's prospects. It was a scrappy patchy affair with lots of dropped ball and pushed passes - not unexpected for the first trial game of the season, and different combinations being tried. IMO the score was not a real reflection - Joeys backs were clearly superior notwithstanding the sloppiness of finishing - two held-ups and a knock-on over the line could have pushed the score out. Knox pack were very good in defence - Joeys spent the last 15-20 mins camped inside their 40m but couldn't crack the D.

It'll be interesting to see how both sides push on. Joeys performance yesterday was a big step up but Kings looked out of sorts - perhaps lack of training due to the cadet camp had an effect. Their 10 and 12 were both big guys but didn't look fit. Knox beating Shore convincingly (31-12) was impressive, but not sure about Shore's strength this year, notwithstanding the pre-season hype from some commentators. They beat Kinross about 5 tries to 2, IIRC, but Joeys 3rds smashed Kinross 1sts 76-5 yesterday.

Next week's Joeys-Barker game should be a cracker.

Reactions: WLF

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
To which I would add that there has been zero attempt to develop any players outside A teams all the way through. Potential late developers aren't even on the radar as boys are pigeon-holed in 13s. The HOR probably has no idea how good some of the boys playing 5ths are (and how good some of them could have been if he had paid them any attention or provided any form of individual development) because he would barely have noticed them let alone thought that it might be a good idea to develop more than 15-20 boys in each age group.

The proof of this is surely that between the start of Year 7 and the start of Year 10 about 40-50% of players stop playing rugby at the school. That's some achievement.

spot on, my friend!

itll be interesting to see if the internal trials this coming weekend yield any changes to the teams moving forward, otherwise I fear we’ll be in for a very sad season

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Noticed kings got smashed by joeys, was wondering if this was because of the cadet camp? If not how are they shaping up this year?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Noticed kings got smashed by joeys, was wondering if this was because of the cadet camp? If not how are they shaping up this year?

No doubt the cadet camp had a bit to do with it as they couldn't train and got straight off the bus from Singleton and into the warm up.

As for the second part of your question they are a young team, not many year 12s in the mix. That didn't seem to bother them in the rowing though, the next few 'trials' will probably be a bit more revealing than the first two.

rockstar

Allen Oxlade (6)
No doubt the cadet camp had a bit to do with it as they couldn't train and got straight off the bus from Singleton and into the warm up.

As for the second part of your question they are a young team, not many year 12s in the mix. That didn't seem to bother them in the rowing though, the next few 'trials' will probably be a bit more revealing than the first two.

Rebuilding year at TKS

A number of year 10s in the side

They will be a competitive threat in a couple of years time but this season likely to be challenging

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
really? New was not bigger than the barker boys.

#3 for New scored an outstanding try, and is quick - he’s athletic boy. But the rest..hmmmm...there’s a reason barker put on 9 tries.

Kicking a ball back to an attacking side isn’t the smartest of plays..

Barker severely outplayed New in the 9/10 combination, and New has struggled in this area for a number of years.

Defense was a big problem. Too many sitting duck missed tackles on New side.

Barker was great at first phase ball and New was very deficient in this regard.

Muminator, I didn't make it on Saturday are you able to tell me who scored Newingtons other try?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
E0bGlsoUYAMutLX

Martian Manhunter

Frank Row (1)
Terrific performance from the Riverview this weekend. I have a feeling that the O'Donnell and Bowen combination will be a force to be reckoned with this season.

MM

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Joeys have been blessed with very good front row combinations for several seasons in a row. It is early stages but I think this years front 3 might take it to a new level. They won’t be the biggest but they are fast, highly skilled and play very hard.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys have been blessed with very good front row combinations for several seasons in a row. It is early stages but I think this years front 3 might take it to a new level. They won’t be the biggest but they are fast, highly skilled and play very hard.

Joeys front row taking a break.

Dog-Australian_Cattle_Dog-Three_Australian_Cattle_Dogs_lying_neatly_next_to_each_other.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
My goodness, what madness have I unleashed on the world.
Nice to see some wolves and roasting pigs.
Plus a lion skin rug

Anyway, life could be a whole lot worse.
Here is LIVE footage of Michael Slater angrily tweeting about being trapped in the Maldives.

giphy.gif

Sparkle Motion

Peter Burge (5)
Yes, I’ve heard about the “silverbacks” - I only heard about them this year but apparently they’ve been around for a few years. Apparently that team is for the boys who still want a foot in the game but can’t be as competitive due to other commitments. For instance, this year’s team is made up of a few boys who excel and have prioritised their summer sports over their winter sport. But you’re right - it takes depth away from the other grades.

I agree with the history on the 5th XV "silverbacks", they have definitely been around in that form since 2017. I have a bit of a dissenting view though l I think creating an environment where the year 12 boys with no aspirations for the firsts/seconds teams playing for premierships can play their final years as a group captures exactly what rugby should be. A great chance to make memories that last for a life time, as well as avoid some of the sillier things that come with vying for GPS premierships.