• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree with the history on the 5th XV "silverbacks", they have definitely been around in that form since 2017. I have a bit of a dissenting view though l I think creating an environment where the year 12 boys with no aspirations for the firsts/seconds teams playing for premierships can play their final years as a group captures exactly what rugby should be. A great chance to make memories that last for a life time, as well as avoid some of the sillier things that come with vying for GPS premierships.

Sparkle, it's BP

Couldn't agree more, my mate who's son finished last year was telling me about a similar group of boys at View who wanted to play fairly competitive rugby but didn't want the commitment of going to the gym and the other stuff that entails a 1st/2nd/3rd XV role. They played 4th XV but the school was "hell bent" on disbanding their team even though they were all good enough to be playing in the 4th's. All the good aspects of rugby without the BS. Loved to hear about it.

BP

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)

in a similar vein, Joeys has a system whereby the opens from 4ths down are selected in their year groupings - ie, the even numbers (4ths, 6ths 8ths, 10ths and 12ths) are all year 11 boys and the odd numbers are all Year 12. This allows Year 12 boys to play together in gentlemen's teams and enjoy their rugby in a less competitive environment. No lower Year group boys (ie Year 10 or below) play opens unless they are picked in the 1st-2nd squads.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting to see on the fixtures sheet for this Saturday Joeys A teams are playing Barker in all age groups apart from 14’s where Joeys are playing St Pats.

Martian Manhunter

Frank Row (1)
Sparkle, it's BP

Couldn't agree more, my mate who's son finished last year was telling me about a similar group of boys at View who wanted to play fairly competitive rugby but didn't want the commitment of going to the gym and the other stuff that entails a 1st/2nd/3rd XV role. They played 4th XV but the school was "hell bent" on disbanding their team even though they were all good enough to be playing in the 4th's. All the good aspects of rugby without the BS. Loved to hear about it.

BP

BP

Martian here.

I even heard rumblings that the head coach of the 2020 4th XV may actually be in the running to coach the 1st XV after the substantial success his team saw last year. Main reason being, they were the only Riverview opens team to beat Joeys and take home that much desired "pink scalp." Goes to show that there is something wrong in that program if such talented players aren't wanting to play for the competitive teams. Something must be afoot.

MM

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I smell a whiff of View boys creating their annual pre-season mischief.
Having contributing here a long time, I have learned that View students are nothing but predictable.
Time will tell.

7938706_0.jpg

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
I smell a whiff of View boys creating their annual pre-season mischief.
Having contributing here a long time, I have learned that View students are nothing but predictable.
Time will tell.

7938706_0.jpg
One thing that is predictable is a last minute loss against the cerise and blue.... every.... god.... damn.... year. Oh it pains me thinking about it.

BP

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone have any news regarding the Shore side this year? Will be interesting to see if they have improved at all following a disappointing season last year.

TME

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I have no idea but I would guess that this year will be better and next year better still. Last years 16a’s for Shore was a strong team.

Anyone have any news regarding the Shore side this year? Will be interesting to see if they have improved at all following a disappointing season last year.

TME

axel

Jimmy Flynn (14)

TME

I watched them play on Saturday v Knox. For the record i'm a Knox dad. Shore were very gutsy all day. The team is small across the field, Knox dwarfed them in most positions, but they never backed down. The scrum was surprisingly strong, with the front 3 being the best players in the pack. The hooker had a great game, popping up all over the field, showing good skill in all the departments. The 2 props did well in general play too. Their backs are quick, but with no real line breakers, they have to rely on quick recycling. Not sure they will challenge for the top 3.........but they will never back down. I reckon they may win a game or 2.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
One thing that is predictable is a last minute loss against the cerise and blue.. every.. god.. damn.. year. Oh it pains me thinking about it.

BP

except 2016 at Hunters Hill, celebrated with a pitch invasion [see it again on youtube]

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
I watched them play on Saturday v Knox. For the record i'm a Knox dad. Shore were very gutsy all day. The team is small across the field, Knox dwarfed them in most positions, but they never backed down. The scrum was surprisingly strong, with the front 3 being the best players in the pack. The hooker had a great game, popping up all over the field, showing good skill in all the departments. The 2 props did well in general play too. Their backs are quick, but with no real line breakers, they have to rely on quick recycling. Not sure they will challenge for the top 3...but they will never back down. I reckon they may win a game or 2.

As a back up to what Axel has said, I am a waves dad, and this age group at Shore have always been very competitive throughout this age group, so no surprises here. Knox have played Shore and then the Waves play Shore this Sat. Whilst these games are pre-season for each association, it matters not, as every school has really does focus on winning every game.
I recon that Shore will take a lot out of the games they play against some of these fairly strong CAS schools, and surprise come GPS time.