• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
RESULTS
TRIAL 3 8 MAY

1st XV
Waverley 48 def Shore 12
Barker 24 def St Josephs 21
St Augustines 32 def Sydney Grammar 0
St Ignatius 12 def The Kings School 10
2nd XV
Shore 21 def Waverley 15
St Josephs 41 def Barker 0
Kings 19 def St Ignatius 12
3rd XV
Shore 22 def Waverley 5
St Josephs 7 def St Patricks 1st XV 3
St Ignatius 19 def Kings 14

Did View have their full side on today, it looks like a strange score 12-10 v Kings, after Joeys put 50 on Kings last week?

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Very early in the season ……. Looks like Joeys Scots and View to fight it out for the silverware, will be harder to pick than a broken nose …….

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
I heard St Joseph's have a new number 12 coming from Waverley College and is a member of the Sydney Roosters squad. Will he be lining up on Saturday at Bankwest? That would incredible to see him in action! Someone let me know. thanks!

No chance ………, I’m sure this is just an anomaly or an irregularly ……… joker please explain !

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
No Sua'ali'i, he watched from the sidelines. Poor game of rugby all round. Riverview were extremely lucky to get away with the win. Kings had a try disallowed with a couple of minutes left on the clock. You could tell Riverview were the superior team when they didn’t drop the ball, miss tackles, or give away penalties. They were unable to build pressure through constant errors, and relied on individual efforts for their points. At the set piece their scrum went backwards and lineout in trouble.
After that game I think the coaches will be disappointed as they realised their best chance to get a premiership in a decade might be out of reach. They have the cattle, but out of sorts.
Joeys firmed as favourites.

Thanks Scrumcap, I am relying on secondhand info’ from our boys, who were not permitted to support other teams due to Covid restrictions, so didn’t see the game. I appreciate you chipping in with firsthand knowledge.

Don't know that we can tell all that much from trial games imho.

We made it down to the Reds last night which was our dose of Rugby for Saturday. Looking forward to the trial squads getting sorted and the GPS kicking off.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Your team wins a trial 50-0. "Yay! St Egbert's for the premiership!"

Your team loses a trial 21-24: "Don't know that we can tell all that much from trial games imho."

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Your team wins a trial 50-0. "Yay! St Egbert's for the premiership!"

Your team loses a trial 21-24: "Don't know that we can tell all that much from trial games imho."

Ha.. Love it Snort, but our School's team has been winning their trial games. As they are just trial squads in this period, there will be changes made in all school teams between now and official GPS games. Best not to get too carried away with trials...

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
I don’t get this logic. In 5 years of a 2 round 10 game gps comp teams were picked for game 1.... but now it’s the same amount of games but the offical comps don’t start until the second half we all of a sudden couldn’t possibly know our best combinations until game 6? I agree with snort, it’s all a myth to protect reputations when the score doesn’t suit. Rep teams are picked before the formal competitions of either association have gained momentum. I get that some of the leaguies may be unavailable in game 1 or 2 if their side makes it to the GF... but outside of those (and injury) you know who your first XV is going to be as much as you did when it was 2 rounds

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
There were a lot of years prior to the 5 year window of 2 rounds. Trials are trials, combinations are developed and so on but more importantly tactics can be quite different between trials and comp games. Joeys rarely if ever kick for penalty in a trial. The Knox trial this year was a good example. With less than a converted try advantage and having been held up twice and dropped the ball over the line once Joeys refused several easy attempts at penalty. I didn’t watch the Barker game on the weekend but assume it would have been the same approach, if it wasn’t it would be a rare exception to the rule.

I don’t get this logic. In 5 years of a 2 round 10 game gps comp teams were picked for game 1.. but now it’s the same amount of games but the offical comps don’t start until the second half we all of a sudden couldn’t possibly know our best combinations until game 6? I agree with snort, it’s all a myth to protect reputations when the score doesn’t suit. Rep teams are picked before the formal competitions of either association have gained momentum. I get that some of the leaguies may be unavailable in game 1 or 2 if their side makes it to the GF. but outside of those (and injury) you know who your first XV is going to be as much as you did when it was 2 rounds

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
My point wasn’t around tactics, agree penalty goals are rarely taken. I was at the joeys knox game and it was a quality game of high intensity with both teams playing their best available sides. Joeys deserved the win as Jorgensen was outstanding and their outside backs kept the ball alive in true joeys fashion which was a joy to watch... Aswas the knox forward packs dominance and defensive effort. Both schools left nothing in the tank and there were no excuses. The intimation on these forums is typically not about tactics but more about players being rested or the team not being the real first xv side. That’s rubbish, all schools put out their first xv for that week and take every opportunity to play their best. Having watched Riverview v joeys games for 25 years I’ve seen all the permutations- trials into 1 round of 8teams, 2 rounds of 6 teams and the current single round inter association plus single round comp and rarely do the teams change. The one caveat being athletics which was shifted to end of term 3 and therefore the rugby players are now available from day 1

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I tend to agree, most schools play their best available options, always. I do think some will be more cautious with injured players in trials vs comp games but I also know that a lot of the lads will go to great lengths to hide their injuries for fear of losing their spot if they give someone else a crack. It is a short season and for most it is a one shot chance to realise a goal they have held for many years.

My point wasn’t around tactics, agree penalty goals are rarely taken. I was at the joeys knox game and it was a quality game of high intensity with both teams playing their best available sides. Joeys deserved the win as Jorgensen was outstanding and their outside backs kept the ball alive in true joeys fashion which was a joy to watch. Aswas the knox forward packs dominance and defensive effort. Both schools left nothing in the tank and there were no excuses. The intimation on these forums is typically not about tactics but more about players being rested or the team not being the real first xv side. That’s rubbish, all schools put out their first xv for that week and take every opportunity to play their best. Having watched Riverview v joeys games for 25 years I’ve seen all the permutations- trials into 1 round of 8teams, 2 rounds of 6 teams and the current single round inter association plus single round comp and rarely do the teams change. The one caveat being athletics which was shifted to end of term 3 and therefore the rugby players are now available from day 1

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
No chance ………, I’m sure this is just an anomaly or an irregularly ……… joker please explain !

Its all scuttlebutt Rob. I have spoken to the new boy in question myself and he is from the bush. Was enrolled years ago but family has to deal with drought. You know Rob, just like when the local shop runs out of veuve clicquot and you have to drink domestic bubbles. Oh the horror!

58xc75.jpg

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Apparently the Shore v Barker game is off. Not sure of the exact reason. Barker now playing a Eastwood colts U18 side at 1.30pm at Barker on Sat. Not sure what the Shore 1st XV are doing.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Apparently the Shore v Barker game is off. Not sure of the exact reason. Barker now playing a Eastwood colts U18 side at 1.30pm at Barker on Sat. Not sure what the Shore 1st XV are doing.

Rod, the Waves played Shore last weekend and a Shoreman I know told me then that Shore weren't playing Barker this weekend, don't understand it but anyway...

The Barker team this year looks very well drilled, out of interest, how many are returning from last year's team and in what positions?