• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2021

Mr Huge

Stan Wickham (3)
Great assessment, I honestly don’t know why anyone thinks CAS start as firm favourites. The GPS team is built for speed and full of skill. It will be an awesome contest.

Agree this will be a cracking contest.
I think the sense that CAS start warm favourites comes from the simple adage that you need to earn the right to go wide by going forward first - and that's where the main difference is. The tight five for CAS are very large, very skillful and will keep coming all game. While Barker have conceded points in the second half a couple of times this year (perhaps when their CAS selections were being rested,) Waverly have typically shown more dominance in the second half. The back row for CAS is also more than matched with GPS.
With the forecast for cold and wet night time conditions it's difficult to see how a counter attack based game plan relying on turnover ball and width can succeed - guess we'll know in 36h!

massivehog100

Frank Row (1)
Has anyone heard anything regarding the omissions of Cummins and Kalokalo? Would be interesting to see whether the murmurs of them prioritising league are true...
Happy Wednesday,
MHOG100

Tap and Go

Frank Row (1)
Is Connor McMullen related to former Scots and Brumbies player, Craig McMullen?

Eyes and Ears, it definitely would not surprise me if he was. Same school, and obviously both very talented rugby players, but I cannot confirm if he's related or not. Does anyone else happen to know?
T'n'G

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Hey Ace,

. They've all had much time and resources invested in their development and from what i've seen from following Junior Rugby for a number of years is that when it comes to crunch time the players that the Tahs have invested energy into don't get kicked to the wayside.

Just some food for thought,
MHOG.

And with all respect to (and not including) individual players, this is precisely the general problem

Players getting picked for incumbency, players finding their way through the pathways based on a good showing at younger ages

Carry this onto its logical conclusion and you have Newsome as captain of the Tahs....

(Wait! I know, I know...stop with the fanciful hypotheticals, right?)

About time that we questioned whether our 'pathways' are really giving us what we hope they are.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Players all develop at different ages and some who were stand out performers in their younger years don't always progress in the opens. I understand there is definitely an element of incumbency and the powers that be need to have open minds when selecting for higher honours.

In terms of pathways whether you agree with the structure or not they are needed. The problem we have is that these schoolboys in pathways are being thrown into Super level of rugby far too early and can not compete hence the very poor showing by NSW.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Eyes and Ears, it definitely would not surprise me if he was. Same school, and obviously both very talented rugby players, but I cannot confirm if he's related or not. Does anyone else happen to know?
T'n'G

Last I heard Craig was still living in France, so perhaps not related??

BrickLayer

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone heard word from the CAS camp on how they are shaping up for tomorrow’s clash? How they are looking to attack us and get the mismatch on the field?

Bricklayer….

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Anyone heard word from the CAS camp on how they are shaping up for tomorrow’s clash? How they are looking to attack us and get the mismatch on the field?

Bricklayer….

Hi Bricklayer,

Relax the CAS team is not focused on what the GPS team is doing, but we will find out tomorrow night.
The CAS plan is to score more points than the GPS team.
Hope that helps!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Game day. It will be cold and wet up at Wahroonga tonight. I predict the pace and skill of the GPS pack will leave CAS with their heads spinning.

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
Game day. It will be cold and wet up at Wahroonga tonight. I predict the pace and skill of the GPS pack will leave CAS with their heads spinning.

(now dont bite back WLF!)

Is OlderSlower really old and slow? Or is he at school, waiting for the first period bell to ring... (Hmm.)

Anyone who has any idea on rugby, knows that poor weather is the best leveller - tonight's game will be close and hard fought

Reactions: WLF

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
No need to bite back, the score board will do the talking . Weather won’t bother this GPS team, they’re that good.... and we gotta get some decent banter going. This forums has been rather dull since the Joker departed.

(now dont bite back WLF!)

Is OlderSlower really old and slow? Or is he at school, waiting for the first period bell to ring. (Hmm.)

Anyone who has any idea on rugby, knows that poor weather is the best leveller - tonight's game will be close and hard fought

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
No need to bite back, the score board will do the talking . Weather won’t bother this GPS team, they’re that good.. and we gotta get some decent banter going. This forums has been rather dull since the Joker departed.

Hi OS

Joker is still lurking here, he just cant post... "He is a very naughty boy" - (guess the movie where this came from - if you are not at school..)

I thought my post was banter - my apologies if I offended you (that was not my intent)

I agree that the CAS boys are in for a tough game tonight - I posted on the CAS thread the other day how I think the game will go, check it out and either agree (or disagree)

Cheers

Rugby Ref

Herbert Moran (7)
No need to bite back, the score board will do the talking . Weather won’t bother this GPS team, they’re that good.. and we gotta get some decent banter going. This forums has been rather dull since the Joker departed.

btw - I have no skin in tonight's game, my only concern is that the ref appointed lets the lads play so they can show case their skills...

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
Hi OS

Joker is still lurking here, he just cant post. "He's just been a naughty little boy" - (guess the movie where this came from - if you are not at school..)

I thought my post was banter - my apologies if I offended you (that was not my intent)

I agree that the CAS boys are in for a tough game tonight - I posted on the CAS thread the other day how I think the game will go, check it out and either agree (or disagree)

Cheers

I apologise in advance if people have seen a similar meme for our banned mate, that I generated last time he had a yellow card.

I would be surprised if the GPS boys don't win tonight, however haven't seen Waverley this season....

Messiah.jpg

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Life of Brian, pretty easy to get that one. I am definitely older and slower.

Hi OS

Joker is still lurking here, he just cant post. "He is a very naughty boy" - (guess the movie where this came from - if you are not at school..)

Cheers

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Unfortunately, I think this weather increases the likelihood of a CAS victory tonight, perhaps by a solid margin, provided they don't go in too over confident. I remember the 2018 GPS side, with Angus Bell, Jeremy Williams, Will Harris (all now run on Waratahs or higher) and Joseph Sua'ali'i thought they'd win by 20 + but lost.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Unfortunately, I think this weather increases the likelihood of a CAS victory tonight, perhaps by a solid margin, provided they don't go in too over confident. I remember the 2018 GPS side, with Angus Bell, Jeremy Williams, Will Harris (all now run on Waratahs or higher) and Joseph Sua'ali'i thought they'd win by 20 + but lost.

2 of the CAS team playing super rugby now too; Reimer & Edmed. That was a cracking game, Sua'ali'i almost scored in the corner to take the victory on the bell but Ben Bryden stopped him.