• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV Round 5 Report

With no upsets of the leading three teams in Round 5, the premiership picture becomes a bit clearer. Joeys remain undefeated with a hard earned victory at Bellevue Hill and they move on to play Riverview and Kings in the last two rounds. Riverview and Kings both retained their spots, one loss back from Joeys with good wins and it is almost certain that the premiership will be won by one or more of these three teams.

Grammar with their loss to Riverview are definitely out of the premiership race now and should be polishing the Col Windon Shield to hand over in two weeks time. Shore's massive win over TAS keeps them theoretically in the hunt but even if they win their remaining games against Grammar and Scots, it is extremely unlikely that the front runners will lose remaining games to all finish on two losses.

Scots, TAS and High all had losses on the weekend and are now just making up the numbers for the final two rounds.

RIverview 14 def Grammar 10
I predicted Riverview by 5 but I did not think this game would be decided by 2 conversions with two tries each. A cracking game which could have gone either way. Grammar led with a great try in the corner after 10 minutes but Riverview struck back to score after sustained pressure just before half time and converted to make it 7-5 at the break. A lovely backline play early in the second half saw Riverview take a 14-5 lead and Grammar had plenty of work to do, but they fought back with better territory to threaten the Riverview line, scoring an excelllent second try with some time on the clock. Unfortunately it was another difficult missed conversion and that left the home team trailing by 4 points. Riverview repelled the final attacks by Grammar to win by 14-10 and keep their premiership hopes alive. They play Joeys at Leichhardt Oval next week and that is a must win game for them before their final round clash against TAS.

Shore 54 def TAS 7
Boy, did I get this game wrong! I did not see it on Clutch and I am surprised to see such a huge margin in this clash. Is this the same TAS team that beat Scots last round and only lost to Joeys by 3 points? But well done Shore on what must have been a comprehensive performance. They have kept their premiership hopes alive but only if Joeys lose to both Riverview and Kings, Kings lose to Scots and Riverview lose to TAS in the final two rounds. I would not be holding my breath if I was in the Shore 3rds, but they have had some excellent moments this year. Disappointing for TAS who looked to be therabouts early in the season but have not delivered in some of the key match ups.

Joeys 24 def Scots 7
This was a pretty tough game as I predicted, but Joeys would be very pleased to come away from Bellevue Hill with their undefeated status intact. It was close early with Joeys scoring first but Scots equalising to be 7-7 after 16 minutes. Joeys scored another try just before half time but missed a penalty on the bell and went to the break with just the one try lead. It was all Joeys in the second half as they scored another excellent try and put the result beyond doubt with a penalty goal in the 40th minute. Unfortunately the end of this game saw a bit of niggle which the referee should be commended for handling extremely well. Yellow cards were handed out as deserved and everybody shook hands at full time.
Joeys now only need to beat one of Riverview or Kings in the final two rounds to return the Col Winden Shield to Hunters Hill, but I am sure they will be wanting to remain undefeated to win it outright.

Kings 73 def High 0
When I watched this game I had two thoughts in my mind: Firstly how well Kings played with ball in hand, supporting the attacking player, retaining possession and looking to create opportunities. The Kings attack was well structured, focused and dynamic with plenty of players involved. It was no surprise then that Kings scored six tries in the first half and five tries in the second half as well as 9 excellent conversions. They are a team in form and will be very difficult to stop in the remaining two rounds. My other thought was how committed the Sydney Boys High team was against a bigger, stronger and faster Kings side. High never gave up and played with great commitment for the whole game. They should be very proud of their performance despite the loss on the scoreboard. Kings move on now to play Scots at North Parramatta before meeting Joeys in the final round for what is shaping to be a premiership deciding clash. And I will definitely be at Hunters Hill for that game.
Well done to all the teams this week and good luck in the remaining two rounds.

INP

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone have reports on how bartlet went in the 16As? and how brial played in the 1sts.

also shore vs riverview who won in the 16s with their round robbin also featuring grammar.

Who stood out in the younger age groups throughout the weekend?
He scored amazing 50 metre try best Around 7 joeys kids and then ran around 60 metres to setup a second in the 16A then whacked two joeys kids so hard in defence the second poor kid went off injured. The Scot’s 16A only won because Bartlett was on the field without him I reckon Joeys 16A would have won as Joeys 16A are very good side. Great game

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brial played seconds not firsts but he played very good in the seconds

Brial played well in the 2nd row in the seconds. Defended brutally. He and his tight five colleagues got the better of their counterparts, particularly in the driving maul, to help Scots have an upset win in the 2nds. The Joeys 8 and 9 are standout players but they needed a bit more polish around them.

The 2nds comp now see Kings and Scots still unbeaten and Joeys one win behind. Good, tight comp.

RuckitRory

Stan Wickham (3)
I think people are underappreciating Shore's performances in all grades yesterday. The 3s came into their game and dominated from the start, playing champagne rugby that was pretty to watch, taking down TAS 54-7. The 2s were back and forth all game, with Shore looking to seal a 22-21 win until a mistake in the dying minutes allowed View to have a shot at goal and take the win 24-22. The 1sts played smart but unpredictable rugby, even kicking a drop goal on the stroke of halftime to lead 15-12 at the break. The score escalated to 29-12 until a late fight back from View allowed the score to get to 32-29, but Shore kicked it out and full-time was called. It was a fairytale ending for the boys, getting their first comp win since 2016, on Old Boys Day in front of a massive crowd at Northbridge, and in the Year 12s last home game. Everyone from Shore played superbly. Well done to all boys, what a day to be at Northbridge!

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
3rd XV Round 5 Report

With no upsets of the leading three teams in Round 5, the premiership picture becomes a bit clearer. Joeys remain undefeated with a hard earned victory at Bellevue Hill and they move on to play Riverview and Kings in the last two rounds. Riverview and Kings both retained their spots, one loss back from Joeys with good wins and it is almost certain that the premiership will be won by one or more of these three teams.

Grammar with their loss to Riverview are definitely out of the premiership race now and should be polishing the Col Windon Shield to hand over in two weeks time. Shore's massive win over TAS keeps them theoretically in the hunt but even if they win their remaining games against Grammar and Scots, it is extremely unlikely that the front runners will lose remaining games to all finish on two losses.

Scots, TAS and High all had losses on the weekend and are now just making up the numbers for the final two rounds.

I predicted Riverview by 5 but I did not think this game would be decided by 2 conversions with two tries each. A cracking game which could have gone either way. Grammar led with a great try in the corner after 10 minutes but Riverview struck back to score after sustained pressure just before half time and converted to make it 7-5 at the break. A lovely backline play early in the second half saw Riverview take a 14-5 lead and Grammar had plenty of work to do, but they fought back with better territory to threaten the Riverview line, scoring an excelllent second try with some time on the clock. Unfortunately it was another difficult missed conversion and that left the home team trailing by 4 points. Riverview repelled the final attacks by Grammar to win by 14-10 and keep their premiership hopes alive. They play Joeys at Leichhardt Oval next week and that is a must win game for them before their final round clash against TAS.

Shore 54 def TAS 7
Boy, did I get this game wrong! I did not see it on Clutch and I am surprised to see such a huge margin in this clash. Is this the same TAS team that beat Scots last round and only lost to Joeys by 3 points? But well done Shore on what must have been a comprehensive performance. They have kept their premiership hopes alive but only if Joeys lose to both Riverview and Kings, Kings lose to Scots and Riverview lose to TAS in the final two rounds. I would not be holding my breath if I was in the Shore 3rds, but they have had some excellent moments this year. Disappointing for TAS who looked to be therabouts early in the season but have not delivered in some of the key match ups.

Joeys 24 def Scots 7
This was a pretty tough game as I predicted, but Joeys would be very pleased to come away from Bellevue Hill with their undefeated status intact. It was close early with Joeys scoring first but Scots equalising to be 7-7 after 16 minutes. Joeys scored another try just before half time but missed a penalty on the bell and went to the break with just the one try lead. It was all Joeys in the second half as they scored another excellent try and put the result beyond doubt with a penalty goal in the 40th minute. Unfortunately the end of this game saw a bit of niggle which the referee should be commended for handling extremely well. Yellow cards were handed out as deserved and everybody shook hands at full time.
Joeys now only need to beat one of Riverview or Kings in the final two rounds to return the Col Winden Shield to Hunters Hill, but I am sure they will be wanting to remain undefeated to win it outright.

Kings 73 def High 0
When I watched this game I had two thoughts in my mind: Firstly how well Kings played with ball in hand, supporting the attacking player, retaining possession and looking to create opportunities. The Kings attack was well structured, focused and dynamic with plenty of players involved. It was no surprise then that Kings scored six tries in the first half and five tries in the second half as well as 9 excellent conversions. They are a team in form and will be very difficult to stop in the remaining two rounds. My other thought was how committed the Sydney Boys High team was against a bigger, stronger and faster Kings side. High never gave up and played with great commitment for the whole game. They should be very proud of their performance despite the loss on the scoreboard. Kings move on now to play Scots at North Parramatta before meeting Joeys in the final round for what is shaping to be a premiership deciding clash. And I will definitely be at Hunters Hill for that game.

INP
Thanks for the 3rds reports. Kings have big forwards and bully sides physically. Shore may say they were dirty but I didn’t see it that way.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joker, quick question bud. Jack Barrett! What a game yesterday. You reckon he's looking good at the moment, out of 10 maybe?

I've heard some things about you and need to see if these statements are factual.

Thanks bud,

Simon
Please send your "statements" if you wish in a direct message. I am happy to respond.
Regarding Jack, I will not make a judgement call publicly about a player, except to praise an individual performance in a match.
eg. Scots College #12 was best on ground

Last edited:

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
3rd XV Round 5 Report

Shore 54 def TAS 7

Joeys 24 def Scots 7

Kings 73 def High 0

INP
INP

A great wrap.

With the Shore v TAS game, 3 boys from TAS (Kearney, Munsie (c) and Campbell) were unavailable and played today in the Sydney v Country game in Bathurst (positions 1, 3 and 5) which might explain yesterdays scoreline.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
INP

A great wrap.

With the Shore v TAS game, 3 boys from TAS (Kearney, Munsie (c) and Campbell) were unavailable and played today in the Sydney v Country game in Bathurst (positions 1, 3 and 5) which might explain yesterdays scoreline.
Thanks Rudderless. I thought it would be a close contest with both teams at full strength. Well done to Shore though - a great win. I predicted at the beginning of the season that they would do well and they have been close on a few occasions.

Cheers INP

RuckitRory

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks Rudderless. I thought it would be a close contest with both teams at full strength. Well done to Shore though - a great win. I predicted at the beginning of the season that they would do well and they have been close on a few occasions.

Cheers INP
INP

As the game was not on Cluch, I was lucky that I was at the match. How much of a difference do you think those 3 players would have made? Shore were dominant in all aspects and played some of their best rugby so far this season. No doubt that they would have more wins this season if they played this way every week.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks.
I speak from experience of being "whacked" a couple of times for simple, stupid things.
I have been walking on the thinnest of ice for many years so I hope from my experience I can help others.

Offer to be part of the mod team?
No.
They probably think it would be like putting Charles Manson in charge of the asylum.

View attachment 14320
Very good Joker.

A fun fact for you; during the Great Frost of 1683–84, the Thames was completely frozen for two months.

Thin ice indeed.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
INP

As the game was not on Cluch, I was lucky that I was at the match. How much of a difference do you think those 3 players would have made? Shore were dominant in all aspects and played some of their best rugby so far this season. No doubt that they would have more wins this season if they played this way every week.
I agree entirely. Their match against Joeys was a cliff-hanger and their performance against Kings was better than the score indicated. Unfortunately losing close games makes a difference at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.