• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Out of the 3 named players above only one has continued on to considerable success in Will Harris. In what way would you consider Sekel and Darling to be better players than the Scots 6? because as I see it you are leaning towards View and Joeys players constantly, any reason for this bias ???????
Bokenham is only a few years out, was in the Australian under 20's, is a contracted Waratahs development player and currently playing first grade. Henry is even younger and playing reserve grade NRL, he is probably a year away from being ready for first grade. I think the Scot's 6 is a decent player but I see him as a more likely tight 5 candidate, I wouldn't rank him ahead of Darling or Sekel. I have no particular bias against Scots but I can tell that you are of the generation that doesn't cope at all well with a difference of opinion. Perhaps the selectors will agree with you, perhaps not. I don't really care.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Out of the 3 named players above only one has continued on to considerable success in Will Harris. In what way would you consider Sekel and Darling to be better players than the Scots 6? because as I see it you are leaning towards View and Joeys players constantly, any reason for this bias ???????
if you had any clue you would know that Hugh Bokenham is in the Waratahs squad, along with Will Harris. The Scots No6 is a useful player but not in the same league.

Infamous schoolboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Bokenham is only a few years out, was in the Australian under 20's, is a contracted Waratahs development player and currently playing first grade. Henry is even younger and playing reserve grade NRL, he is probably a year away from being ready for first grade. I think the Scot's 6 is a decent player but I see him as a more likely tight 5 candidate, I wouldn't rank him ahead of Darling or Sekel. I have no particular bias against Scots but I can tell that you are of the generation that doesn't cope at all well with a difference of opinion. Perhaps the selectors will agree with you, perhaps not. I don't really care.
Well, I can tell you are from the generation that likes to critique and criticise schoolboy rugby players who are 20+ years younger than you. Move on from your glory days in the 5th XV. But I don't really care at the end of the day.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
TME here, making my long awaited return from a 18-month hiatus. Was fantastic to venture down to Hunter's Hill this weekend to watch 'View take on Joeys. A tough result to stomach for someone with Riverview allegiances such as myself, but there were good signs for the upcoming GPS season. Although View aren't a big side, they are well drilled and obviously have been working hard to get their fitness up. Interesting dynamic between the View #2 & #11, being twin brothers. Perhaps their fraternal bond has lifted the broader chemistry of the Lane Cove outfit. Worth reading into...
Hey there TME, nice to see you back mate. Just in time for our annual battle with the year 12 boys from Riverview who come here and cause a ruckus.

I agree with your observations in regards to the View team. Well drilled and very fit. I think the bond between the boys is because they often are seen hanging out at the Lane Cove shopping mall with girls from Loreto

Tunui Jorgenson at 1 for New is a very tough player and Taukumao on the wing is outstanding, although O Jorgenson has got one wing locked up.
Wouldn’t say locked up, Perkins(R) is most definitely as likely to get in aswell after a good start to the season and playing gps last year

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi All

New won against Auggies ( their only win so far ) with a backline :

9 Dickens 10 McGregor 11 Williams 12 Barton 13 McLean 14 Takoumo 15 Quinn

Can't see much wrong with this backline but it has not stayed the same since. 9,10 have a good combo. 9 has a good pass and directs play well. 10 is a good runner of the ball, passess well and his short kick game is good. Can tackle if needed. 12 has been solid in defence and links well. 13 is the issue and I've said this before. Need a defensive 13 who can tackle and link well with outside backs. J.McLean defence can be questionable at times and will struggle to contain the J and S outside backs when tested. I would have O.Townsend as 13. good pass,can tackle and kick's well. Gives you another flyhalf option. 11 is J McLean. give him the ball and tell him to run,run,run. 14,15 can interchange but from what I've seen, Quinn has good skills for 15 and Takoumo can finish well and has a big boot. Reserves Williams, McLean Junior and 2nds backs.

Fowards are ok but have not improved as much as would have liked. Set piece is still not the best. As mentioned, if New want to play an expansive game and spread the ball to their talented outside backs, they need to have fit and upskilled flankers to be able to recyle the ball. They have been caught a few times at the breakdown. The flankers work hard but their technique may need improving. Maybe keep it a bit tighter initially before going wide.

Scots will try to truck it up in the forwards. They have a big pack but if New play smart and run them around, they could exploit their backs. It will come down to the forwards ( most games do ). If New keeps possession and not kicks it away, then they have points in them.

Agreeb that McGregor is a great finisher but for this team, I think he is better suited to 10. He is not afraid to take on the defense at 10 which keeps the oppo guessing and with Townsend at 13 you have 2 flyhalves.

Wyvernboy
Excellent analysis thank you. Also what years where you at Wyvern? I was 1979 to 1983 starting main school in 1984.

Scrums are Poetry

Frank Row (1)
Lots of positions open.
Barrett and Steel from Shore likely Props
Scots second rower and Number 6 will make it
Darling from Joeys at 8
Half-back open
Joey Fowler likely 10
Oscar Jorgensen 11
Riverview 12
Ronan Leahy 13
Hadley Tonga 14
Max Jorgensen 15

Only an educated guess
Hi Rugby Survivor.
The Scots #6 has been great this year and I cannot see anyone being picked ahead of him. I haven't seen much of Nick Harris (brother of Will). Last year he was picked in NSW 1's but must be injured or has left the school this year. Hard to go past as he was a great #8 in last years GPS season. The #15 from Shore had a great game against Scots as well, setting up a beautiful try from nothing. Hard to predict with one more game, injuries could occur!

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi DragonMan

Wyvern 1980-1986. Senior 1987-1992. 1992 Glory Year !! Those that know, know !!

After watching these boys from yr 3 and yr 7 be dominate in their age group, and even up till yr10 16's, would be a shame if the wheels fall off.
The coaches/managers needed to keep this group together and improve their skills etc. I haven't seen this happen and the boys are playing and performing well mainly on their own talent and not much from their caoches, esp open coaches. There is a disconnect between the players and the coaches in senior years at New. They perform well 13,14,15 and even 16's but then something happens in the Opens. The boys are not upskilled or managed to combat the improvement from other schools. Look at View and Kings. Early on, probably the "weakest" in this age group yet have improved gradually throughout the years and will be very tough to beat.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse and the comp hasn't started but I am nervous about the season and wish the boys all the best. Rd 1 will tell us a lot. Scots at BH 18TH June.

As Black and White mentioned, New's inside backs need to put pressure on their opposing centres to prevent the ball getting to the wings. My solution : Townsend at 13, McLean at 14.

Wyvernboy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
*Sigh* Every year, we have the same issue. Not sure if it's schoolboys excited at growing some pubes, or has-beens basking in the alleged glory of their past deeds, but this thread is destined to get nuked if some heads are not pulled in quickly.
There will be ZERO tolerance.
So, how about certain people refrain from baiting certain schools relentlessly, people stop talking themselves and their mates up, people stop trying to shit on the referees who do a thankless job week-in, week-out and remember it's all about schoolboys playing rugby.
Anyone mentioning scholarships WILL be banned.

TheBatman

Allen Oxlade (6)
*Sigh* Every year, we have the same issue. Not sure if it's schoolboys excited at growing some pubes, or has-beens basking in the alleged glory of their past deeds, but this thread is destined to get nuked if some heads are not pulled in quickly.
There will be ZERO tolerance.
So, how about certain people refrain from baiting certain schools relentlessly, people stop talking themselves and their mates up, people stop trying to shit on the referees who do a thankless job week-in, week-out and remember it's all about schoolboys playing rugby.
Anyone mentioning scholarships WILL be banned.
Highly second that,

Nothing should take away from the boys and schools success on the footy field. GPS schools are all about giving boys who mightn’t experience a world class education a shot, now whether these boys play footy shouldn’t be criticised by hormonal butt-hurt teenagers or old boys that still wish they were still at school.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Anyone have any GPS team predictions?
Based on feedback on forum (filtering out feedback from those bored in a free period), here is a short list.

Surprised we haven't had many other suggestions in second row or for 5/8.

1​
Jack Barrett (J)Tanui Jorgenson (N)
2​
Bailey Park (K)Cam Johns (E)Lipina Ata (N)
3​
Henry Basten (K)Jackson Stiel (E)
4​
Oliver McCrea (S)
5​
Archie Campbell (J)
6​
Ben Di Staso (S)Richard Penisini (K)Harry Davis (S)
7​
Jayden Viliamu (N)Ned Ritchens (E)Austin Burbridge (K)
8​
Harry Darling (J)Tim Sekel (I)
9​
Billy Dickens (N)Will Rorsheim (E)Hwi Sharples (J)
10​
Joey Fowler (J)Ben Dufficy (K)
11​
Oscar Jorgensen (J)Liam Grover (I)Siteni Taukumao (N)
12​
Jullien Caillol (I)Tyrese Loheni (K)Jess McLean (N)
13​
Ronan Leahy (J)Thomas Klem (E)Leo Bassingthwaighte (E)
14​
Hadley Tonga (K)William Perkins (I)Henry Murray (E)
15​
Max Jorgensen (J)Dougal Payne (E)

The First Round of the GPS comp will be the last chance for players to impress.

In terms of pre-season, Kings and Joeys have trialled against 3 GPS schools. Scots, Riverview and Newington trailed against 2 whilst Shore only trialled against Scots. This is not having a crack at Shore but more to say that other GPS school's supporters havent seen too much of them to evaluate their talent. So Round 1 will be very interesting to see how good this Shore team really is.

Key Team Match ups:

Kings V Riverview will be the battle of the back lines. Think Kings will dominate in the forwards but I hope the Riverview backs get to show their class in attack.
Newington forwards with (2 potential rep players up front) v Scots with big back row. If Newington can maintain ball security, will we see the Newington backline in full flight?
Joeys set piece has been dominant in recent weeks. How will they go against Shore? Both very mobile packs. Great match ups in the backs as well. Lots of names seeking to impress from both schools.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
So, how about certain people refrain from baiting certain schools relentlessly
Ok then. I will lead by example. I shall refrain.

joker-handcuffs.jpg

Last edited:
GPS 1XV

1. Barrett (Joeys)
2. Johns (Shore)?
3. Stiel (Shore)
4. Scots number 6 (Scots)
5. Scots 5 (Scots)
6. Sekel (View)
7. ?
8. Darling (Joeys)
9. ?
10. Fowler (Joeys)
11. Grover (View)
12. Caillol (View 12) - Would be Cummins
13. ?
14. Perkins (View)
15. Jorgenson (Joeys)
Threkeld as outside,
Riverview's outside center

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Lots of positions open.
Barrett and Steel from Shore likely Props
Scots second rower and Number 6 will make it
Darling from Joeys at 8
Half-back open
Joey Fowler likely 10
Oscar Jorgensen 11
Riverview 12
Ronan Leahy 13
Hadley Tonga 14
Max Jorgensen 15
Only an educated guess
Zach fittler not for Gps 1's but 3's or possibly 2's even? Harry Davis scots 7 also def in the running for 1's IMO. Shore 1 very strong player. Kings 8 will make it over joeys 8 from what I saw but not sure.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi Rugby Survivor.
The Scots #6 has been great this year and I cannot see anyone being picked ahead of him. I haven't seen much of Nick Harris (brother of Will). Last year he was picked in NSW 1's but must be injured or has left the school this year. Hard to go past as he was a great #8 in last years GPS season. The #15 from Shore had a great game against Scots as well, setting up a beautiful try from nothing. Hard to predict with one more game, injuries could occur!
Nick harris Injured his ankle in a lineout in round 1, he certainly hasn't left the school, he's the captain of rugby! (The program as a whole not 1st XV).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.