• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
I thought so as the half back was getting the ball from the scrum, but it looks like he is rolling the ball backwards.
This shows it from head on. No scrum though. No knock on I can see

Unsure where else it occurred. Any heads up?
Ha ha I was looking forward to your in depth review Joker cheers

PhilJackson

Bob McCowan (2)
I noticed on the weekend (Joeys) had moved their inside back to flanker and had brought up the seconds inside. Has anyone got any thoughts on this swap?

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi DragonMan

Wyvern 1980-1986. Senior 1987-1992. 1992 Glory Year !! Those that know, know !!

After watching these boys from yr 3 and yr 7 be dominate in their age group, and even up till yr10 16's, would be a shame if the wheels fall off.
The coaches/managers needed to keep this group together and improve their skills etc. I haven't seen this happen and the boys are playing and performing well mainly on their own talent and not much from their caoches, esp open coaches. There is a disconnect between the players and the coaches in senior years at New. They perform well 13,14,15 and even 16's but then something happens in the Opens. The boys are not upskilled or managed to combat the improvement from other schools. Look at View and Kings. Early on, probably the "weakest" in this age group yet have improved gradually throughout the years and will be very tough to beat.

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse and the comp hasn't started but I am nervous about the season and wish the boys all the best. Rd 1 will tell us a lot. Scots at BH 18TH June.

As Black and White mentioned, New's inside backs need to put pressure on their opposing centres to prevent the ball getting to the wings. My solution : Townsend at 13, McLean at 14.

Wyvernboy
I’m sure I know you. I will PM you. I have a lot of friends in your year. 1992 what a feat. Never to be equalled I’m sure.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Based on feedback on forum (filtering out feedback from those bored in a free period), here is a short list.

Surprised we haven't had many other suggestions in second row or for 5/8.

1​
Jack Barrett (J)Tanui Jorgenson (N)
2​
Bailey Park (K)Cam Johns (E)Lipina Ata (N)
3​
Henry Basten (K)Jackson Stiel (E)
4​
Oliver McCrea (S)
5​
Archie Campbell (J)
6​
Ben Di Staso (S)Richard Penisini (K)Harry Davis (S)
7​
Jayden Viliamu (N)Ned Ritchens (E)Austin Burbridge (K)
8​
Harry Darling (J)Tim Sekel (I)
9​
Billy Dickens (N)Will Rorsheim (E)Hwi Sharples (J)
10​
Joey Fowler (J)
11​
Oscar Jorgensen (J)Liam Grover (I)Siteni Taukumao (N)
12​
Jullien Caillol (I)Tyrese Loheni (K)Jess McLean (N)
13​
Ronan Leahy (J)Thomas Klem (E)Leo Bassingthwaighte (E)
14​
Hadley Tonga (K)William Perkins (I)Henry Murray (E)
15​
Max Jorgensen (J)Dougal Payne (E)

The First Round of the GPS comp will be the last chance for players to impress.

In terms of pre-season, Kings and Joeys have trialled against 3 GPS schools. Scots, Riverview and Newington trailed against 2 whilst Shore only trialled against Scots. This is not having a crack at Shore but more to say that other GPS school's supporters havent seen too much of them to evaluate their talent. So Round 1 will be very interesting to see how good this Shore team really is.

Key Team Match ups:

Kings V Riverview will be the battle of the back lines. Think Kings will dominate in the forwards but I hope the Riverview backs get to show their class in attack.
Newington forwards with (2 potential rep players up front) v Scots with big back row. If Newington can maintain ball security, will we see the Newington backline in full flight?
Joeys set piece has been dominant in recent weeks. How will they go against Shore? Both very mobile packs. Great match ups in the backs as well. Lots of names seeking to impress from both schools.
Size from Scots back line might not beat Newington’s speed though. J. McLean, Barton, Siteni and McGregor are all GPS 1st place sprinters.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Size from Scots back line might not beat Newington’s speed though. J. McLean, Barton, Siteni and McGregor are all GPS 1st place sprinters.
What are your thoughts on Oliver Townsend? as we have not seen him in the firsts for the trials this season. Edward Barton has been an excellent replacement for him as well. If Jesse McLean is pushed out from outside center (as a few people on this forum have suggested) would Townsend replace him as the number 13?

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
I think Siteni should 100% be playing as number 14 for Gps 1sts. I would even say he's better than Oscar Jorgensen but I think keeping Jorgo at 11 and having Siteni at 14 would be great.
Totally agree. O. Jorgensen @ 11 and Taukamo @ 14 would be a great pairing.

I hope that Taukamo’s selection in the CIS Rugby League Squad (together with other Newington boys) doesn’t jeopardise their selection in the GPS Team.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What are your thoughts on Oliver Townsend? as we have not seen him in the firsts for the trials this season. Edward Barton has been an excellent replacement for him as well. If Jesse McLean is pushed out from outside center (as a few people on this forum have suggested) would Townsend replace him as the number 13?
Only seen him play last year at 10 vs Scots in trials. Understand he is injured and no certainty he will be back any time. If he hasn’t had playing time how can he get GPS selection?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)

I hope that Taukamo’s selection in the CIS Rugby League Squad (together with other Newington boys) doesn’t jeopardise their selection in the GPS Team.
that would be a shame if it were the case

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Only seen him play last year at 10 vs Scots in trials. Understand he is injured and no certainty he will be back any time. If he hasn’t had playing time how can he get GPS selection?
Oh he has played the last two games as the number 12 for the 2nds which I assume was a safety measure to assure he didn't get injured again while he was still recovering.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is his usual position 10 or 12? I’d say there’s hot competition for both positions in GPS 1sts and I’m simply presuming selectors will give that to a boy they have been watching in 1sts.

I hope that Taukamo’s selection in the CIS Rugby League Squad (together with other Newington boys) doesn’t jeopardise their selection in the GPS Team
I am from a shore supporters POV, but my honest opinion is Will perkins (riverviews 14) is having a good season scoring a handful of tries in the trial matches. He did play GPS 1s last year aswell.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I noticed on the weekend (Joeys) had moved their inside back to flanker and had brought up the seconds inside. Has anyone got any thoughts on this swap?
the Joeys backline is still a work in progress. Pat Young is actually a flanker and played there in the early trials before being moved into the 12 slot for the 4th (Knox) and 5th (Scots) trials, before moving back to No6. Oscar Jorgensen played 12 in the early trials then moved back to his customary (and correct IMO) position of 11. Caleb Murphy has played a couple of games at 12 (including the 6th trial v View), but the dynamic and defence patterns were not clicking. Caleb and Ben Playford have also been standing in for Joey Fowler at 10 while the latter was still recovering from shoulder issues - Joey's first game back was the 3rd trial v Barker where he was concussed and only played half a game. So Saturday's game v View (Trial No6) was his first full game this season.
So in 6 trials, Joeys have had 5 different 10-12 combinations - (2 different No9s, 3 different No10s and 3 different No12s)

Stevenhutchings

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone have any GPS team predictions?
After watching several trial games around the gps, this is the backline I would pick for GPS 1s.
9. Billy Dickens.
Great young talent who is a big part of the newington team. Crisp pass with good organisation skills guiding his team around the park.
10. Joey Fowler
After coming back from a shoulder injury and a concussion, he was very impressive on the weekend. Setting up multiple tries, his kicking game is exceptional and I have the confidence that he will be in the side despite only playing 1 full game.
11. Oscar Jorgensen
This beast in my opinion has cemented his position in the team. His dominant fend and strong carries help his team get on the front foot, week after week. Wing is definitely his position.
12. Julien C or Tyrese Lokeni
Both are great players. Julien was the best for view on the weekend, having dominant defense and attack. Tyrese is a bigger body who has wonderful skills. Footwork and short passing game is outstanding. Interesting to see what the selectors do there.
13. Ronan Leahy or Max threkhold.
Ronan has played well this season, dominating Knox and scots with strong caries and dangerous footwork. Consistency is key, however I think he is in a very strong position to receive the 13 jersey. Max is also an exiting player. His illusiveness makes him such an exciting player. Watching the game against barker he dominated, being the best player on the park.
14. Hadley Tonga
This kid is quick. Tearing up teams with his speed, he has definitely cemented a spot in teams 1 or 2 for gps. Exciting young talent.
15. Max Jorgensen
Max is a lock for fullback. Playing gps 1s last year he deserves his position dominating the gps competition. Higher honours expected for him this year.

Interesting to see 4-5 boys mentioned above are still 17. Exciting future for these lads. What’s everyone else’s thoughts?

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone get down to the Riverview v Joeys 2nd XV? Keen to get the scoop on how that competition is coming along.
Virew were good, but not good enough. You always felt that joeys had it. Joeys scored on the last play of the game off an intercept so it was closer than the scoreline suggests.

In 1st's view will not be quaking in their boots on the return bout.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
the Joeys backline is still a work in progress. Pat Young is actually a flanker and played there in the early trials before being moved into the 12 slot for the 4th (Knox) and 5th (Scots) trials, before moving back to No6. Oscar Jorgensen played 12 in the early trials then moved back to his customary (and correct IMO) position of 11. Caleb Murphy has played a couple of games at 12 (including the 6th trial v View), but the dynamic and defence patterns were not clicking. Caleb and Ben Playford have also been standing in for Joey Fowler at 10 while the latter was still recovering from shoulder issues - Joey's first game back was the 3rd trial v Barker where he was concussed and only played half a game. So Saturday's game v View (Trial No6) was his first full game this season.
So in 6 trials, Joeys have had 5 different 10-12 combinations - (2 different No9s, 3 different No10s and 3 different No12s)
And a couple of 13's. It looked very unsettled on saturday. From what I have seen The Flanker come 12 was an option. I Think Caleb got a shoulder or at least a string stinger last saturday. Tough kid He Stayed out. Really hard to judge. The seconds play a simpler and more effective catch and pass game which Joeys 1st would do well to follow.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Zach fittler not for Gps 1's but 3's or possibly 2's even? Harry Davis scots 7 also def in the running for 1's IMO. Shore 1 very strong player. Kings 8 will make it over joeys 8 from what I saw but not sure.
Zach will be apart of the gps 16s team.

from my knowledge only one player has skipped the 16s team to play in gps 1 and that’s Joseph Sua'ali'i. anyone have any thoughts on gps 16s team or a predicted lineup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.