• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi All

Just heard some sad news if true but I did hear it from a very reliable source.
Don't know the boys name but the Captain of Shore 1sts broke his leg and is out for the season.
Can anyone confirm ?
Very unfortunate.

Wyvernboy

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hi All

Just heard some sad news if true but I did hear it from a very reliable source.
Don't know the boys name but the Captain of Shore 1sts broke his leg and is out for the season.
Can anyone confirm ?
Very unfortunate.

Wyvernboy
Mmmmm.....I will try a staff member there who I know well.
Hope to get a response

View attachment 13842

For this and every other round (and rep games) I have decided to add the points spread for every game.
When you make your selection you simply add by how much.

Example-

Scots v Newington. I choose Scots +12
Kings v Riverview. I chose Kings +30
Shore v Joeys. I chose Joeys +15

If you "beat the spread" (by being within 5 points OVER the winning margin) you will receive 5 points. A win is still worth 3, a draw is 1.
So every game you can try and predict the spread. MAXIMUM points you can win on a round is 15!

YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT FRIDAY 17 JUNE to get your tips in.
If you don't then it is the away team with a points spread of +12
hi joker, i choose
Scots +20
riverview +10
shore +10

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Confirmed. Just got off the phone with a parent.

A father, who's son is a friend of the injured boy, has stated that the player in question has broken his leg.
He commented that the team will be weakened as he was regarded one of their strongest.

wyvernboy

Banned
Joker, Rugby Survivor

Is he a back or forward ? I rate Shore's forwards and think they have depth but their backs may not.
That sets them back a little.

Wyvernboy

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
View attachment 13842

For this and every other round (and rep games) I have decided to add the points spread for every game.
When you make your selection you simply add by how much.

Example-

Scots v Newington. I choose Scots +12
Kings v Riverview. I chose Kings +30
Shore v Joeys. I chose Joeys +15

If you "beat the spread" (by being within 5 points OVER the winning margin) you will receive 5 points. A win is still worth 3, a draw is 1.
So every game you can try and predict the spread. MAXIMUM points you can win on a round is 15!

YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT FRIDAY 17 JUNE to get your tips in.
If you don't then it is the away team with a points spread of +12
Joker, here are my tips.

Scots +10
Kings +15
Shore +5

Thx.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Played number 6 and was in the 1st XV last year. Think he may have had some game time in 2020 as well.
Has had injury problems for a while now but was getting better and ready to go for the GPS season.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Looking forward to heading to Northbridge. There has been a respectful relationship between the two schools going way back. I had the pleasure of meeting with Basil 'Jika' Travers in the early 1980's. He told this story about why he admired Joeys,

In the early days of his Headmastership at Shore he was coaching a team of lads over at Hunters Hill. He was himself an excellent player but he was having a hard time motivating the lads as they were being belted by the cerise and blue. During the first half he noted a small, white haired man in long black coat and black hat watching the game near him. At half time his team trudged over looking very despondent. Trying hard as he could, he could not find the words to rally his lads. Then this little man sidled up and asked he could speak to the boys. Jika agreed.

The old man spoke to them about playing for your mates, supporting each other on the field, celebrate the little things (like making a tackle) and the big things will follow. Play for your jersey and be proud that your are "Shoremen". The boys seemed to respond to his words. That half of football the Shore boys threw everything at Joeys. The result of that half was 3-0 to Shore. The boys were so happy with their efforts. Jika wanted to thank the man for his stirring words. But alas he could not find him.

Later that afternoon Jika was watching the 1st XV and was sitting with Joeys headmaster, Brother Othmar. While watching the game he spied in the crowd towards the front of the grandstand this small man sitting in among the boys, Jika asked Br Othmar who that was and relayed his morning experience to the Joeys Head. He replied, "that is Brother Henry" For those who have no idea of AAGPS rugby history Brother Henry coached 211st XV premierships, 20 G.P.S. 2nd XV premierships. Jika was so impressed that this man would take the time to show care for his team. He never forgot this.

So, for the remainder of his career, Jika made sure that when the Joeys boys came to Northbridge, the after game supper was first class for the hungry Catholic boys.

When Brother Henry died in 1970, Jika attended the funeral at Hunters Hill and Shore boys came with him and joined in the guard of honour. As well, when Jika passed away, the Joeys headmaster, Brother Anthony (1st XV coach) and Michael Lipman (captain 1st XV) all attended his funeral. That year was a good one for Shore....they won the title in a three-way tie with Joeys and Kings. To do so, they had to beat Joeys in the final round at Joeys. I am sure Brother Henry was proud too.

Last edited:

The Phantoms

Peter Burge (5)
Looking forward to heading to Northbridge. There has been a respectful relationship between the two schools going way back. I had the pleasure of meeting with Basil 'Jika' Travers in the early 1980's. He told this story about why he admired Joeys,

In the early days of his Headmastership at Shore he was coaching a team of lads over at Hunters Hill. He was himself an excellent player but he was having a hard time motivating the lads as they were being belted by the cerise and blue. During the first half he noted a small, white haired man in long black coat and black hat watching the game near him. At half time his team trudged over looking very despondent. Trying hard as he could, he could not find the words to rally his lads. Then this little man sidled up and asked he could speak to the boys. Jika agreed.

The old man spoke to them about playing for your mates, supporting each other on the field, celebrate the little things (like making a tackle) and the big things will follow. Play for your jersey and be proud that your are "Shoremen". The boys seemed to respond to his words. That half of football the Shore boys threw everything at Joeys. The result of that half was 3-0 to Shore. The boys were so happy with their efforts. Jika wanted to thank the man for his stirring words. But alsas he could not find him.

Later that afternoon Jika was watching the 1st XV and was sitting with Joeys headmaster, Brother Othmar. While watching the game he spied in the crowd towards the front of the grandstand this small man sitting in among the boys, Jika asked Br Othmar who that was and relayed his morning experience to the Joeys Head. He replied, "that is Brother Henry" For those who have no idea of AAGPS rugby history Brother Henry coached 211st XV premierships, 20 G.P.S. 2nd XV premierships. Jika was so impressed that this man would take the time to show care for his team. He never forgot this.

So, for the remainder of his career, Jika made sure that when the Joeys boys came to Northbridge, the after game supper was first class for the hungry Catholic boys.

When Brother Henry died in 1970, Jika attended the funeral at Hunters Hill and Shore boys came with him and joined in the guard of honour. As well, when Jika passed away, the Joeys headmaster, Brother Anthony (1st XV coach) and Michael Lipman all attended his funeral. That year was a good one for Shore....they won the title in a three-way tie with Joeys and Kings. To do so, they had to beat Joeys in the final round at Joeys. I am sure Brother Henry was proud too.
Receiving a Pink Card from Jika on a Friday morning was also a positive motivator prior to rugby on Saturday,
thanks for sharing @Joker

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Receiving a Pink Card from Jika on a Friday morning was also a positive motivator prior to rugby on Saturday,
thanks for sharing @Joker
Pink Card? Jika was an original.

The motivation we got was "the promise" of a hot dinner if we won. I recall plenty of luke warm fish fingers and stodgy mash potato for Saturday night dinner. In my early years at Joeys we could never beat Shore till finally my 16F's recorded a famous come from behind victory at Northbride against Shore 16C's??? Why we played them I am not sure. Anyway it was 10-6.

The Phantoms

Peter Burge (5)
Pink Card? Jika was an original.

The motivation we got was "the promise" of a hot dinner if we won. I recall plenty of luke warm fish fingers and stodgy mash potato for Saturday night dinner. In my early years at Joeys we could never beat Shore till finally my 16F's recorded a famous come from behind victory at Northbride against Shore 16C's??? Why we played them I am not sure. Anyway it was 10-6.
@Joker A pink card was like a merit for sound work / application to task etc, where as a white card was a detention which varied from a drill & 1 hour / 2 hour or a Saturday detention (which may have involved cleaning the white picket fence around A ground at Northbridge) back in the 80's - rugby coaches worst nightmare was the Saturday outing.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
@Joker A pink card was like a merit for sound work / application to task etc, where as a white card was a detention which varied from a drill & 1 hour / 2 hour or a Saturday detention (which may have involved cleaning the white picket fence around A ground at Northbridge) back in the 80's - rugby coaches worst nightmare was the Saturday outing.
That is a lot of pickets to clean.

We had a NO CARD which was a full day detention from 8am to 8pm on a Sunday. You were expected to write 6 x A4 pages of writing every hour. There were limited breaks and you couldn't speak to any others in the study hall. Even lunch you were isolated. Most boys preferred to be caned rather than do a no card. When I got my first, I was able to convince the Brother in charge of discipline to give me six of the best rather than miss a full day out. I did have explain the injury to my parents...

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
OPEN REPRESENTATIVE RUGBY PROGRAM 2022

COACHES
1st XV Tyrone Smith (G) & Tim Wallace (E)
2nd XV Brian Smith (S) & Adam Whalley (A)
Blue Greg Thompson (J) & Tom Coupland (J)
White Warwick Percival (K) & Harry Randall (K)

PROGRAM
Saturday June 18 Teams selected & posted on AAGPS Website

Sunday June 19 Medical & Light Training 11 a.m. The Scots College.

Monday June 20 Training
1st & 2nd XVs The Shore School Sports Grounds 3.30 p.m.
Blue & White XVs St Josephs College Sports Grounds Hunters Hill 3.30 p.m.

Tuesday June 21 Fixtures: Shore School Sports Grounds Northbridge
1st XV v CAS 3.15 p.m.
2nd XV v CAS 1.55 p.m.
GPS Blue v Sydney Juniors U/18. 12.35 p.m
GPS White v NSW Country Juniors U/18. 11.15 a.m.

Reselect AAGPS 1st & 2nd XVs and Post on AAGPS Website Wednesday June 22

Thursday June 23 Training 1st XV & 2nd XV & Bench The Shore School Sports Grounds

Friday 24 June Fixtures NSW Schools Championships at Eric Tweedale Stadium 2 Montrose Ave Merrylands
1st XV v ISA 1 3.15 p.m.
2nd XV v ISA 2 2.00 p.m.

PATHWAY POST Friday June 24

5 Teams selected after Friday June 24

NSW Gen Blue teams 1 & 2 selected first.

Saturday 25 June Medicals & Kit Distribution

Sunday 26 Rest Day

Monday 27

Tuesday 28 Training 9 - 3

Wednesday 29 Rest Day

Thursday 30 June Training 9 - 1

Friday July 1 Game Day Flight to Brisbane 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Gen Blue Program recommences on August 20

NSW Schools 1st & 2nd XVs selected next. Their schedule is:

Saturday 25 June Medicals

Monday 27 - Saturday 2 July Training - times to be determined

Tuesday 5 - Saturday 9 July AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIPS at Knox College.

NSW U/18 Juniors selected last.
Training & Australian schools Championships similar Program to NSW Schools.

Last edited:

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Serious question, the US system forbids commercial arrangements between school and college players and professional teams. Why should it be any different for players in the AAGPS or CAS?
Ah Iast time I checked the ARU doesn’t have a draft and doesn’t use the college system to recruit the majority of its players

Secondly your confusing College with High school.. There is nothing stopping a Pro team approaching a high school kid .. Lebron was courted by many pro teams while at school, hell he signed a Nike deal while he was still in high school .. he never even went to college! … straight to the NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.