• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Good evening Wyvern boy

Brave I am, but stupid I am not. What you see at Newington is what you get. There is no one else to pick. A large number of the current Y12 boys have withdrawn from the program, despite being from an incredible year group, so the 2nds are full of Y11 boys, and the firsts have a large number of Y11 boys also. So people should be asking what on earth is going on for so many boys to be opting out.

The bigggest mistake they made was breaking up that 16As side from 2020 to prop up the senior squad that year. It destroyed the camaraderie and in 2021 a large majority of those same boys played in the 3rds because the school gave preferential treatment to the Y12 boys. They’re now reaping what they sowed in the previous couple of years.

Watching their performance against Scot’s yesterday simply confirmed my opinion That there is no depth in Newington rugby, which is sad.

If there are mounting injuries in the 1sts the season is all but over for them. Looks to me like they may have already lost 2 players in the backline, and there’s really no one to replace them.
How did they lose 2 players in the backline? Jesse McLean was playing for his nrl league team (Penrith panthers just for that game) and Oliver Townsend had a slight wrist injury.

Rippa

Peter Burge (5)
I believe the 10 and 12 are injured the 10 has broken I think his arm .
jesse will replace his brother casey , Casey ain’t a First XV player just yet .
Also Daniel Wright is the right fit for the 10 position and last years incumbent
is not a firsts player , sorry if this upsets you .
so who is going to play 12 position

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Good evening Wyvern boy

Brave I am, but stupid I am not. What you see at Newington is what you get. There is no one else to pick. A large number of the current Y12 boys have withdrawn from the program, despite being from an incredible year group, so the 2nds are full of Y11 boys, and the firsts have a large number of Y11 boys also. So people should be asking what on earth is going on for so many boys to be opting out.

The bigggest mistake they made was breaking up that 16As side from 2020 to prop up the senior squad that year. It destroyed the camaraderie and in 2021 a large majority of those same boys played in the 3rds because the school gave preferential treatment to the Y12 boys. They’re now reaping what they sowed in the previous couple of years.

Watching their performance against Scot’s yesterday simply confirmed my opinion That there is no depth in Newington rugby, which is sad.

If there are mounting injuries in the 1sts the season is all but over for them. Looks to me like they may have already lost 2 players in the backline, and there’s really no one to replace them.
Hi Rippa,

I didn’t get to watch any of the games at Stanmore yesterday however at last nights Waratahs game at Leichhardt I was talking to one of Year 11’s dads about Newington’s game and he made mention that the Newington 2nds were Year 11’s (2021 U16 A’s ) All the other Year 12 boys who have been part this current age group since Year 7 and were playing in the “B’s” were now playing in the 3rd XV’s or the lower grades. I was baffled at his comments (No disrespect to the Year 11 boys And I wish them well ) until I read your comments.

Cheers
Love2scrum

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
In a historical, but unfortunate manner, Sydney High as I've heard, is only able to field one team in the opens, down from 2 the previous year, and down near 4 from 2019. High had to forfeit a game last year due to injury numbers, so this year may prove a challenge. However, it must be noted that while depth is severely lacking, individual talent seems to be of high calibre, with 5(?) students making the selection for the regional CHS team. This, if the math works out, is the highest in recent years.
Yes... numbers are down.... there were actually 8 boys in the regional CHS team.... what they lack in terms of numbers is not lacking in quality. The majority of the team was year 11 boys too....

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes... numbers are down.... there were actually 8 boys in the regional CHS team.... what they lack in terms of numbers is not lacking in quality. The majority of the team was year 11 boys too....
I would love to see a resurgence in High's rugby, back in the late 80's and early '90's they went toe to toe with everyone and you always knew you had been in a game when you left the field. They were unlucky to not win more premierships back then, I remember '88 was very strong as was '92.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Rippa

What are your thoughts about the New v Scots trial game ? I thought New forwards were better than expected ( fitter and set pieces were ok ). Backline needs work. Few boys playing up and different positions. As you mentioned, depth at Newington is poor for variuos reasons. When the rugby program only concentrates on the A ( and a little on the B team ) and ignores the lower teams in the basic skills and learning of the game, boys start to lose interest and choose other sports etc. When a boy begins Yr7, there should be no expectations on them.All boys should be taught the same skill set and supported evenly. Of course, they'll be boys that learn at different rates ( just as they do in Maths etc ) but their bodies have not fully developed yet. A yr7 boy playing in the C,D's is quite different that the same boy in yr 10/11. Yet if that boy has had quality coaching, he would be a perfect " depth " player and pushing for higher grades. This is what's missing at Newington. And don't tell me they don't have the money, facilities or time to invest in thses kids. At that age, good coaching is vital. How to pass a ball, tackling, positioning in the scrum, breakdown work. All important skills to be learnt in yr7-8. There are 6 teams in 13's at New. More than enough boys to educate. And the boys in the C,D and E are playing Rugby for the Love of it and to learn. If they are not shown the love ( and their parents don't see the love shown ) then the program loses them later on. Of course, not all boys will make the A,B teams but with the correct communication, the other boys are not left behind. We get told it's a "demographic " thing at New. Is that why there are 6 teams in the 13's and many "exotic" and non-Anglo names ? The Rugby Directors can keep pushing that excuse but not doing your job is not an excuse.

Look at the resurgence in Shore. I know that 1/2 good years don't make a program, but there has definately been a change in direction. Hopefully we can see the same at Newington.

Wyvernboy

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I believe the 10 and 12 are injured the 10 has broken I think his arm .
jesse will replace his brother casey , Casey ain’t a First XV player just yet .
Also Daniel Wright is the right fit for the 10 position and last years incumbent
is not a firsts player , sorry if this upsets you .
so who is going to play 12 position
Edward Barton and/or Oliver Townsend or James McGregor. In the comp games Siteni will most likely play full back meaning McGregor will have to play on the wing or fly-half, and Oliver Townsend should (hopefully) be back to play.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi Rippa

What are your thoughts about the New v Scots trial game ? I thought New forwards were better than expected ( fitter and set pieces were ok ). Backline needs work. Few boys playing up and different positions. As you mentioned, depth at Newington is poor for variuos reasons. When the rugby program only concentrates on the A ( and a little on the B team ) and ignores the lower teams in the basic skills and learning of the game, boys start to lose interest and choose other sports etc. When a boy begins Yr7, there should be no expectations on them.All boys should be taught the same skill set and supported evenly. Of course, they'll be boys that learn at different rates ( just as they do in Maths etc ) but their bodies have not fully developed yet. A yr7 boy playing in the C,D's is quite different that the same boy in yr 10/11. Yet if that boy has had quality coaching, he would be a perfect " depth " player and pushing for higher grades. This is what's missing at Newington. And don't tell me they don't have the money, facilities or time to invest in thses kids. At that age, good coaching is vital. How to pass a ball, tackling, positioning in the scrum, breakdown work. All important skills to be learnt in yr7-8. There are 6 teams in 13's at New. More than enough boys to educate. And the boys in the C,D and E are playing Rugby for the Love of it and to learn. If they are not shown the love ( and their parents don't see the love shown ) then the program loses them later on. Of course, not all boys will make the A,B teams but with the correct communication, the other boys are not left behind. We get told it's a "demographic " thing at New. Is that why there are 6 teams in the 13's and many "exotic" and non-Anglo names ? The Rugby Directors can keep pushing that excuse but not doing your job is not an excuse.

Look at the resurgence in Shore. I know that 1/2 good years don't make a program, but there has definately been a change in direction. Hopefully we can see the same at Newington.

Wyvernboy
I believe the matter in question has been identified by Newington consequently the employment of Tim Rapp as the Director of Coaching Development in 2021.

Hopefully we see a healthier and skilful Rugby Program in 5 years time and beyond.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I’d caution against any talk of a resurgence at Shore.

Whilst the opens performed very well against Auggies, the lower age groups did not perform nearly as well.

What you are seeing at Shore is a single strong Yr 12 cohort who have been together and performing well since yr7, augmented by a few younger boys. There isn’t an outstanding year group or athletes coming behind this particular year.

Yes, the there have been some changes to the program and a new rugby leader but the results in lower age groups aren’t there.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Love2Scrum and Number 7

I applaud the employment of Tim Rapp. Share your sentiments.

Number 7, there may be a way to go before Shore becomes a consistant powerhouse of GPS Rugby ( esp. if they continue, and in my opionion rightly so, their policy of not having many/if any enticements ) however my point was that each boy in the respective programs continue to learn and be valued. If that happens, results will come. The program will retain players, hence a larger pool of boys to draw from who have, as this yr12 group has, stayed together and formed a very competive team.
If it's purely a numbers game, Joeys, Scots and View will win every time. But it's how you upskill the players you have to be able to compete with them. New, Shore and to some extent Kings will never be consistantly challenging. But they should be able to compete. Same for Grammar and High.

Wyvernboy

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi All

While I'm on a run and at lunch, what are your opinions on each school's training program for the 1st,2nds ( 3rds and 16Á's ) ?

I know at Newington the 1sts and 2nds do at least 5-6 sessions a week. This includes field, Gym and general fitness. I believe this could be detrimental to their season. Know that a high level of fitness is needed and field work for team work ( set pieces etc ) but continual gym sessions may be too much. Injuries may happen. I know that you have to "keep up with the Joneses" but there is training smart and training for the sake of training. Plus, most kids in the 1st,2nds and 16A's I know/assume are playing outside club games/training as well. Part of training smart for game day is recovery and sleep. Might be old fashioned, but what happened to the old two arvos a week and the odd gym day. Guess that went once
"the dreaded S " word came into play. However, Joeys could train everyday if they wnated to ( and probably do ) having most boys board.
Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I’d caution against any talk of a resurgence at Shore.

Whilst the opens performed very well against Auggies, the lower age groups did not perform nearly as well.

What you are seeing at Shore is a single strong Yr 12 cohort who have been together and performing well since yr7, augmented by a few younger boys. There isn’t an outstanding year group or athletes coming behind this particular year.

Yes, the there have been some changes to the program and a new rugby leader but the results in lower age groups aren’t there.
Partially correct Number 7. The U16s cohort are very strong and have been for a number of years. I think you alluded to the fact a few may have been lost to the opens so not sure how strong they are this year. Under 15s are not strong although the As and Bs lost by 1 point and the Auggies dads keep telling me how strong the 15As are.
Anyway - we will see and I'm looking forward to a big day vs knox at Northbridge - will be a big rollout for sure.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Hi All

While I'm on a run and at lunch, what are your opinions on each school's training program for the 1st,2nds ( 3rds and 16Á's ) ?

I know at Newington the 1sts and 2nds do at least 5-6 sessions a week. This includes field, Gym and general fitness. I believe this could be detrimental to their season. Know that a high level of fitness is needed and field work for team work ( set pieces etc ) but continual gym sessions may be too much. Injuries may happen. I know that you have to "keep up with the Joneses" but there is training smart and training for the sake of training. Plus, most kids in the 1st,2nds and 16A's I know/assume are playing outside club games/training as well. Part of training smart for game day is recovery and sleep. Might be old fashioned, but what happened to the old two arvos a week and the odd gym day. Guess that went once
"the dreaded S " word came into play. However, Joeys could train everyday if they wnated to ( and probably do ) having most boys board.
Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy
Joeys has run 5 plus sessions a week for top teams since as far back as my memory extends (mid 80’s) … even low grade teams would have a minimum of 3 sessions. The philosophy has always been, tired boys are good boys….

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Partially correct Number 7. The U16s cohort are very strong and have been for a number of years. I think you alluded to the fact a few may have been lost to the opens so not sure how strong they are this year. Under 15s are not strong although the As and Bs lost by 1 point and the Auggies dads keep telling me how strong the 15As are.
Anyway - we will see and I'm looking forward to a big day vs knox at Northbridge - will be a big rollout for sure.
How did the 13a team go crashy? Always interesting to see what natural ability arrives in year 7. Augustine’s are typically strong in the younger age groups so should be a decent barometer to see what the school has to work with before structures/training practices have their impact on teams.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hi All

Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy

How did the 13a team go crashy? Always interesting to see what natural ability arrives in year 7. Augustine’s are typically strong in the younger age groups so should be a decent barometer to see what the school has to work with before structures/training practices have their impact on teams.
Not sure about 13a's but the St Augustines 14a's beat Shore 14a's quite convincingly I think it may have been around 20-5 or somewhere around that but not very sure of the score.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
News from Joeys has been that the Tamworth Rugby camp went very well. They took three teams up north and they have come back very excited as the teams look settled. The 1st XV in particular look very sharp with a back-line that will go very well this season. They have also unearthed two rampaging rhinos for the front row again and look as strong as last years pack. No results on any trial games against local talent.

Expected 1st XV team list closer to the weekend when I know more.

Status
Not open for further replies.