• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Did most schools used to have teams going down to I/J ?

Knox have about 4 age group teams and 8 opens I think.
Hello Grimey

I you could find Knox, most notably under Dr Ian Paterson fielding 6-7 Teams in any Age division and at least 8 in the Opens was the norm for Knox. Yes, he left the school and a later Headmaster, who seems committed to removing his legacy, for reasons I shall not go into, has offered a sports program, based on personal choice, not on tradition.

Newington, certainly in the early and mid eighties had 9 teams and10 in the younger age divisions. Unfortunately, this did not translate into our open division's depth. Thus, we were confined to 6 teams in the opens. Shore, had 9 teams in the 13s about 15 years ago and were a much feared and respected Rugby School. But, these numbers fell away over the years, as Dr Wright proved to be a great Headmaster for Shore, except for its Rugby.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
B&W you make some excellent points. Heath is very much, "do what you want, and bugger tradition" type of boss. I know him quite well too.

KNOX drop off in rugby is concerning as they were the bench mark for years in Prep rugby and this flowed through the senior school. In the good old days of the late 90's and early 2000's beating KNOX in Prep rugby was like beating the All Blacks. These lads made up the bulk of CIS rep teams and went on to play NSW Primary Schools. Because of the Prep school boss (Mr Bob Thomas.....great man) he would make sure rugby came first, then the round ball game. This flowed to the senior school as well. Year 7 would field 6/7 teams made mostly of lads who came from the Prep, Trinity went early with their "play what you want" ethos and their Prep rugby program died. This of course flowed on to the senior school and they suffered badly till someone opened their purse and "acquired" players which is perfectly allowable in the CA$ competition. Barker was one of the last bastions of CAS rugby but falling to this liberal left leaning, latte sipping, navel gazing, woke world of basket weaving only Waverley will be left to compete against GPS schools and they probably win their competition with regularity.
Joker i think you can see the schools with significant depth are the schools who have invested in a complete rugby program and haven't just used their resources for the 1sts. Scots and Joey's being prime examples and thats why they have depth. Its not just different sports, boys want to be part of a strong successful culture and Knox have misspent a ton of money on a senior program that has delivered bugger all in the last fifteen years despite being possibly the largest boys school in NSW (400 in each year). There is plenty of serious talent (about 6 gen blue just from last years U16 forwards) and there are only a couple of AFL teams across the school. Soccer is popular (and very successful) but there are more than enough boys, the program (or lack of) just isn't appealing. I feel New is the same.
Barker lost every game to Oakhill, but will win the CAS comp, not exactly a bastion of rugby.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Private schools aren't schools anymore, they are a business that has to justify to parents why they should spend $250+k per child for high school. Joeys seem to have a much greater number of students of old boys who have grown up with the school being as it is as well as limited numbers hence not such a need to sell the school. Others have to provide a huge range of extra curricular activities, sports, drama, music etc to attract high fee paying students, thus the pool of available rugby students is shrinking.

The other factor is the changing demographic of the students. Students with a language background other than English (As per the myschool website year 2020), Joeys 5% Shore 7%, SIC 8%, New 13% Scots 17%, Kings 25%, Aly 16%, Barker 25%, Cbk 24%, Trinity 53% ???, Knox 39%, Wrv 4%. Other sports like volleyball are gaining popularity as a winter sport not to mention AFL and Football, this can be offset a bit by the number of students.

It would be interesting to see what peoples perception of the major selling point of each of these schools.

Last edited:

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joker i think you can see the schools with significant depth are the schools who have invested in a complete rugby program and haven't just used their resources for the 1sts. Scots and Joey's being prime examples and thats why they have depth. Its not just different sports, boys want to be part of a strong successful culture and Knox have misspent a ton of money on a senior program that has delivered bugger all in the last fifteen years despite being possibly the largest boys school in NSW (400 in each year). There is plenty of serious talent (about 6 gen blue just from last years U16 forwards) and there are only a couple of AFL teams across the school. Soccer is popular (and very successful) but there are more than enough boys, the program (or lack of) just isn't appealing. I feel New is the same.
Barker lost every game to Oakhill, but will win the CAS comp, not exactly a bastion of rugby.
Barker won four games against Oakhill sides including the Firsts. If you're going to put the boot in check the facts.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Barker won four games against Oakhill sides including the Firsts. If you're going to put the boot in check the facts.
Two games were internal (AvB) after the comp games were called off so they don't count. They won 1sts and the 13Es and didnt score a point in 9 games.

Big Papi

Herbert Moran (7)
Thanks BP.

Rugby grassroots are still thriving. The future of rugby is the clubs. Sydney's shute sheild is very well patronized and the standard is very high. These clubs also have their smaller, village clubs that feed into them. My three lads played rugby at Drummoyne and many years ago it was a struggle to get numbers. Move forward 10 years, the juniors are thriving with many teams because the club has been spending money on promotion and getting into the community. We still battle the dark power of fumble ball, but now parents are seeing a better culture and community as an option. My wife and I still help at the club and the amount of social life we put in for the club yields results with players. Plenty of lads play to the under 15 year and then school commitments become an issue. I have two of my three sons playing colts at Drummoyne because of their juniors experience. They went back because the culture was right. GPS schools will be seen as a feeder to the elite level, but more and more players see a pathway with a club. There are plenty of club players called up to the Waratahs and beyond from their play in clubs. If we support the grassroots then it will work. Stop wasting money at the top end of the tree.
I'm glad to hear that grass roots is thriving, I couldn't imagine driving along through Sydney on a Saturday or Sunday morning and seeing more games of singlet kick than the game they play in heaven. I also must say that I was extremely surprised when I found out the participation of subbies rugby last season, watched a couple games on cluch tv and it seemed that the quality was high and that the lads were having a great time.

BP.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Two games were internal (AvB) after the comp games were called off so they don't count. They won 1sts and the 13Es and didnt score a point in 9 games.
Oakhill College website has Barker defeating Oakhill in four games and remaining scoreless in seven games. Barker doesn't have a 13Es.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Whilst not helpful, it’s worth noting for context that Oakhill Bs played barker As in both 13s and 14s games that barker won…. With Oakhill As instead choosing to play against Knox A and Riverview A in those age groups in a 3 way contest… unfortunately the games were at Riverview and were cancelled due to the conditions of the ground (although knox managed to host Riverview in all other games from u15s through to opens)… there needs to be some serious money spent at Riverview to upgrade the grounds… too many home games have been called off at view over the years in the younger age groups (I have nephews through view and joeys)… if Covid has taught us anything it’s a that you take every chance to play footy… grass will grow back

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
B&W you make some excellent points. Heath is very much, "do what you want, and bugger tradition" type of boss. I know him quite well too.

KNOX drop off in rugby is concerning as they were the bench mark for years in Prep rugby and this flowed through the senior school. In the good old days of the late 90's and early 2000's beating KNOX in Prep rugby was like beating the All Blacks. These lads made up the bulk of CIS rep teams and went on to play NSW Primary Schools. Because of the Prep school boss (Mr Bob Thomas.....great man) he would make sure rugby came first, then the round ball game. This flowed to the senior school as well. Year 7 would field 6/7 teams made mostly of lads who came from the Prep, Trinity went early with their "play what you want" ethos and their Prep rugby program died. This of course flowed on to the senior school and they suffered badly till someone opened their purse and "acquired" players which is perfectly allowable in the CA$ competition. Barker was one of tthe last bastions of CAS rugby but falling to this liberal left leaning, latte sipping, navel gazing, woke world of basket weaving only Waverley will be left to compete against GPS schools and they probably win their competition with regularity.
a few years back, I heard from a furious Knox Prep parent that the headmaster had installed Aussie rules posts at one end of the junior oval and rugby posts doubling as soccer goals at the other end. I handed him a set of enrollment papers at Joeys and the kid has never looked back.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
the fact that Barker won the first and just about nothing else makes the point entirely. Barker does nothing to develop players and relies on some new additions to the student body for the senior years. Quite sad really and from what I hear damaging to the fabric of the school.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
1651811095835.png

Apologies, forgot this was an Oakhill chart not Barker. Still very bleak reading.
Anyway, this is the GPS page.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok, this is a JOKE.
"I kid because I love"
If you have no sense of humour, please kindly ask me to remove. I may consider this.

Major selling points of GPS schools.
“as a student at (insert school below) you son will learn the following…..”

Scots College
1. The ability to make friends with other eastern suburbs people who will become the most well-connected cell mates in a few years’ time.
2. To tell the difference between a Krug Grande Cuvée and a Dom Pérignon Plenitude Vintage 2003 by smell alone.
3. How to avoid speeding and parking fines when you tell the police daddy owns half of Norway.
4. The ability to look down one’s nose at an Olympic level at those who live beyond the Kings Cross tunnel.

Riverview
1. That when marrying you may only choose a Loretto girl for a bride. Anyone who marries a Monte girl will be a pariah for life.
2. That the sun does indeed rise in the east and circles around you all day till it is too tired and sets in the west.
3. There is proof that God only loves the rich, intelligent, lower north shore Catholics because Shore never wins the rugger.
4. The sweaty country boys from across the river are never superior even though the scoreboard for over 140 years has said otherwise.

Newington
1. That the word “diet” is considered a four-letter word by Auntie Kalasia who is serving you another plate of Kapisi pulu
2. The badges from a BMW are not worth the effort anymore so look for other cars for your collection.
3. That planes fly so low to the school one can see the dinner menu on flight QF17 to Los Angeles as it wings it way past at 9.25pm.

Grammar
1. That occasionally one will need access to a good Queens Counsel. Lucky for you there will be at least 28 classmates who can help.
2. To run fast as the Hyde Park dash is not optional especially when the bogan skateboarders are waiting for you.
3. That even though you have impressive sporting grounds, the only part Weigall Oval you know is behind the posts.

Sydney High
1. The number of vertices V, faces F, and edges E in a convex 3-dimensional polyhedron, satisfy V + F - E =
2. That Avogadro's number NA = 6.023 × 1023 mol−1is highly over rated and does nothing to swoon the Sydney Girls High ladies next door.
3. Of rumors of things called the AAGPS Head of the River and the AAGPS athletics carnival but you probably will never attend this at all, ever, in your six years at SHS.

Kings
1. The ability to pass blind fold taste test when comparing Osetra, Sevruga and Beluga caviar.
2. How to impress girls when you are dressed in “real” country wear (RM. Williams comfort craftsmen boots ($549), Parson T-shirt ($59) Kupunda zipper sweater ($249) Parafield Jacket ($399), talbot military pant ($199) and an Akubra Cattleman hat ($210) while trying to pass yourself as a “humble bushie”
3. How to speak to reporters when you are playing rugby league for Australia and say with a straight face, “yes, my mother who lived in a caravan and on welfare, paid for my education at Kings.”

Shore
1. That those other long wooden objects are called pencils and are used for writing not paddling.
2. Scavenger hunts are fine as long as you don’t tell the staff and the media. Setting fire to the homeless is a no-no.
3. Mothers in the Northbridge canteen have the best smiles when you use your manners.
4. Even though you have been beaten senseless by everyone, you are loved and admired for trying still.

St Josephs
1. That everyone hates you for being a Joeys boy. That is ok, for there was another bloke raised by a Joseph who once said, “forgive them Lord for they know what they do.”
2. That Riverview boys bring everyone so much joy! You know, when they leave the room. But, still.
3. That even though you may be in a fight, you know you will have 14 other boys backing you up.
4. On Mondays God gave us "chicken schnitty"

The Armidale School
1. That Armidale is where God sends all the bad boys and all the bad girls to freeze and harden up. Plus to learn how to groom a pony!
2. To haggle the price of a Delaine-Merino stud ram compared to a Blue Faced Leicester.ewe
3. 10 hour bus rides to and from Sydney every two weeks, sleep in freezing gyms, cold showers and Joeys breakfasts takes real courage and grit.
4. That every other school has TAS as their favorite competitor when their school has no runner at athletics carnival.
5. That Absque is a proud Old Boy. (cheers and apologies)

Ok, lets hear from you.

Last edited:

Absque Deo Nihil

Frank Row (1)
Ok, this is a JOKE.
"I kid because I love"
If you have no sense of humour, please kindly ask me to remove. I may consider this.

Major selling points of GPS schools.
“as a student at (insert school below) you son will learn the following…..”

Scots College
1. The ability to make friends with other eastern suburbs people who will become the most well-connected cell mates in a few years’ time.
2. To tell the difference between a Krug Grande Cuvée and a Dom Pérignon Plenitude Vintage 2003 by smell alone.
3. How to avoid speeding and parking fines when you tell the police daddy owns half of Norway.
4. The ability to look down one’s nose at an Olympic level at those who live beyond the Kings Cross tunnel.

Riverview
1. That when marrying you may only choose a Loretto girl for a bride. Anyone who marries a Monte girl will be a pariah for life.
2. That the sun does indeed rise in the east and circles around you all day till it is too tired and sets in the west.
3. There is proof that God only loves the rich, intelligent, lower north shore Catholics because Shore never wins the rugger.
4. The sweaty country boys from across the river are never superior even though the scoreboard for over 140 years has said otherwise.

Newington
1. That the word “diet” is considered a four-letter word by Auntie Kalasia who is serving you another plate of Kapisi pulu
2. The badges from a BMW are not worth the effort anymore so look for other cars for your collection.
3. That planes fly so low to the school one can see the dinner menu on flight QF17 to Los Angeles as it wings it way past at 9.25pm.

Grammar
1. That occasionally one will need access to a good Queens Counsel. Lucky for you there will be at least 28 classmates who can help.
2. To run fast as the Hyde Park dash is not optional especially when the bogan skateboarders are waiting for you.
3. That even though you have impressive sporting grounds, the only part Weigall Oval you know is behind the posts.

Sydney High
1. The number of vertices V, faces F, and edges E in a convex 3-dimensional polyhedron, satisfy V + F - E =
2. That Avogadro's number NA = 6.023 × 1023 mol−1is highly over rated and does nothing to swoon the Sydney Girls High ladies next door.
3. Of rumors of things called the AAGPS Head of the River and the AAGPS athletics carnival but you probably will never attend this at all, ever, in your six years at SHS.

Kings
1. The ability to pass blind fold taste test when comparing Osetra, Sevruga and Beluga caviar.
2. How to impress girls when you are dressed in “real” country wear (RM. Williams comfort craftsmen boot ($549) boots, Parson T-shirt ($59) Kupunda zipper sweater ($249) Parafield Jacket ($399), talbot military pant ($199) and an Akubra Cattleman hat ($210) while trying to pass yourself as a “humble bushie”
3. How to speak to reporters when you are playing rugby league for Australia and say with a straight face, “yes, my mother who lived in a caravan and on welfare, paid for my education at Kings.”

Shore
1. That those other long wooden objects are called pencils and are used for writing not paddling.
2. Scavenger hunts are fine as long as you don’t tell the staff and the media. Setting fire to the homeless is a no-no.
3. Mothers in the Northbridge canteen have the best smiles when you use your manners.
4. Even though you have been beaten senseless by everyone, you are loved and admired for trying still.

St Josephs
1. That everyone hates you for being a Joeys boy. That is ok, for there was another bloke raised by a Joseph who once said, “forgive them Lord for they know what they do.”
2. That Riverview boys bring everyone so much joy! You know, when they leave the room. But, still.
3. That even though you may be in a fight, you know you will have 14 other boys backing you up.
4. On Mondays God gave us "chicken schnitty"

Ok, lets hear from you.
Hello Joker, this is ADN.

I think you forgot about TAS.

Kind regards,

Absque.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thanks BP.

Rugby grassroots are still thriving. The future of rugby is the clubs. Sydney's shute sheild is very well patronized and the standard is very high. These clubs also have their smaller, village clubs that feed into them. My three lads played rugby at Drummoyne and many years ago it was a struggle to get numbers. Move forward 10 years, the juniors are thriving with many teams because the club has been spending money on promotion and getting into the community. We still battle the dark power of fumble ball, but now parents are seeing a better culture and community as an option. My wife and I still help at the club and the amount of social life we put in for the club yields results with players. Plenty of lads play to the under 15 year and then school commitments become an issue. I have two of my three sons playing colts at Drummoyne because of their juniors experience. They went back because the culture was right. GPS schools will be seen as a feeder to the elite level, but more and more players see a pathway with a club. There are plenty of club players called up to the Waratahs and beyond from their play in clubs. If we support the grassroots then it will work. Stop wasting money at the top end of the tree.
Did you see the Norths U/16 team at the State champs last year joker? Love your contributions but that team made Newington look like Captain Cooks crew.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Dusk

If you are around, could you post the Newington open team lists. I can't find them on the website.
Thanks

Wyvernboy

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok, here is a team that has been gleaned by my nephew at Joeys. After years as a parent, I am slowly running out of "insider" access, but he believes this will probably be the team to take on Kings at the big paddock.

1 Jack Barrett

2 Jack Walkom

3 Harry Moxham

4 Eamon Doyle

5 Quinn Dickinson

6 Darcy Fogarty

7 Archie Campbell

8 Harry Darling

9 Hwi Sharples

10 Caleb Murphy/ Ben Playford

11 Patrick Broe

12 Oscar Jorgensen

13 Ronan Leahy

14 Will Malloy

15 Max Jorgensen

Finally, Tetera Faulkner from the Waratahs coaching staff is the new Joeys specialist scrum coach. Faulkner won his first ever Super Rugby cap for the Waratahs. He enjoyed a 10-season professional career that has seen him previously play the Western Force, the Melbourne Rebels and four Tests for the Wallabies. He has made over 100 Super Rugby appearances.
This I believe to be the Kings team that will towel them up:

1. Nick Ashdown
2. Bailey Park
3. Henry Basten
4. Isaac Rumble
5. Cam Webster
6. Peter Milin
7. Austin Durbridge
8. Richard Penisini
9. Harry White
10. Saxon Fenwicke
11. Hadley Tonga