• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi all - I know not school rugby related, but seems some good rugby brains here, so thought I would ask (admin - pls delete if not appropriate)...

My older son is still playing club rugby (16s) as well as school. Not a high grade, but it is a small club with just a few teams and he still enjoys it.

We are increasingly seeing other teams wanting / needing to play uncontested scrums each week. Our team coach was a primary school teacher who was very encouraging of getting the big, slow, non sporty kids to come down and try rugby at the age of 10-12, even though in many cases these boys had tried other sports and had given up on them as a result of being fairly unathletic and not wanted. As a result of his encouragement, we have kept many of these boys interested in rugby and have 4-5 front rowers (in a squad of 20 kids). They aren't superstars destroying opposition, but put together make up a good solid scrum.

I get the safety aspect of things, but as soon as uncontested scrums get called, then opposition teams end up playing 4-5 backrowers, our backs get no space as the opposition backrow don't have to commit to the scrum fully and are free to break and fly at our 10 & 12. Some teams go every further and take the p@ss and put about 10 backs on the field. We then inevitably can't match their speed and they simply run us off our legs.

Surely there has to be some benefit to teams who can keep the rugby ethos of 'all shapes and sizes'? Ideas I have thought might work if you have to call for uncontested scrums:

- Defending backline has to move back an extra 10m off the scrum
- You have to take off your breakaways (and play with 13 players) vs our 15
- Free kick to us in place of a scrum if they knock on

Any thoughts?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Hi all - I know not school rugby related, but seems some good rugby brains here, so thought I would ask (admin - pls delete if not appropriate)...

My older son is still playing club rugby (16s) as well as school. Not a high grade, but it is a small club with just a few teams and he still enjoys it.

We are increasingly seeing other teams wanting / needing to play uncontested scrums each week. Our team coach was a primary school teacher who was very encouraging of getting the big, slow, non sporty kids to come down and try rugby at the age of 10-12, even though in many cases these boys had tried other sports and had given up on them as a result of being fairly unathletic and not wanted. As a result of his encouragement, we have kept many of these boys interested in rugby and have 4-5 front rowers (in a squad of 20 kids). They aren't superstars destroying opposition, but put together make up a good solid scrum.

I get the safety aspect of things, but as soon as uncontested scrums get called, then opposition teams end up playing 4-5 backrowers, our backs get no space as the opposition backrow don't have to commit to the scrum fully and are free to break and fly at our 10 & 12. Some teams go every further and take the p@ss and put about 10 backs on the field. We then inevitably can't match their speed and they simply run us off our legs.

Surely there has to be some benefit to teams who can keep the rugby ethos of 'all shapes and sizes'? Ideas I have thought might work if you have to call for uncontested scrums:

Any thoughts?
My suspicion is that there is a reluctance to have significantly punitive sanctions as it is likely to lead to clubs putting unsuitable players into the front row to avoid the sanctions.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)

Any thoughts?
Feel like I'm becoming the SJRU rules guy, but anyway ... Rule 6.10(G) says that if uncontested scrums are called for more than twice in any one season, that team isn't eligible for finals. There are a few other general statements about not abusing the system (Rules 6.10(H) and 6.6(F)) but if its properly kept track of, it shouldn't happen too often. Make sure its entered into the match day app I suppose is the advice, and let Ben Gregory / Andrew Hutton from SJRU know.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

Any thoughts?
I have noticed this trend as well. My son plays school and club, school has not been an issue (yet) but club has moved to uncontested scrums 2/2 regular comp rounds. My son's club team put time into learning to scrum and work as a unit, others don't seem to. It certainly wasn't an issue of size mismatch that caused the issue, it was all down to technique. I believe that if a game is forced to move to uncontested scrums then the team at fault should loose a player for the match and the defending half-back must not be allowed to follow the ball to the base of the scrum (which I think is the rule but refs don't police it properly). My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi All

Sorry, Not sure how 13,14s went.
Love2Scrum, agree that 1,2 and 3 are setting a very good scrum. Look fit and running well. They were supported by a hard working back row. Line outs were also impressive. I think they have done some work in this area. 9/10 are combining well. They need to keep it simple.
15 could move to 13. As mentoned, the centres will need to defend well especially against Joeys who are quick and 15 can tackle and run hard. Not sure about 13 going to 15. Would have 14 go to 15 and move 13 to 14. Opinions are opinions. They'll figure it out. Plus there are 1/2 coming back so will be interesting to see what the coaches do. As Joker said, a settled, well combined backline is crucial. It gives the boys confidance in each others play.
See you in 2 weeks

Wyvernboy

PS Love2Scrum after watching Shore v Auggies, are the Shore forwards very good ? Shore will play a forwards game but Shore may be lacking a bit of size,speed and skill in the backs.
The Shore forwards and backs were very good against Auggies.

After reading Homer’s comments it appears that Knox forwards dominated their opponents. Knox forwards have always been dominant over the years.

LineoutMark

Bob McCowan (2)
Joeys, Shore, Kings, Scots

Remember

1. Team on the left denotes home ground venue
2. Win equals 3 points, draw 1 point. A tipped draw equals 5 points.
3. All tips must be in by midnight Friday. NONE will be accepted on Saturday
4. If you fail to get your tips in then you will be given all the away teams.
5. Rules may change at any stage as due to the mood swings of the operator.
6. Advice welcome when constructive.

View attachment 13436

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Even while Newington has cadet camp, the 1sts and 2nds have and will continue to train throughout the week (those who are not on challenge/cadet camp might have to miss although i can only name three boys that might be absent at those camps)

Grimey

Banned
We are up to nine.

Remember

1. Team on the left denotes home ground venue
2. Win equals 3 points, draw 1 point. A tipped draw equals 5 points.
3. All tips must be in by midnight Friday. NONE will be accepted on Saturday
4. If you fail to get your tips in then you will be given all the away teams.
5. Rules may change at any stage as due to the mood swings of the operator.
6. Advice welcome when constructive.

View attachment 13436
Joeys, Shore, Kings, $cots

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Thanks everyone.
We now have 21 tipsters!
I have included the rep games as well to keep you on your toes.
I am only focusing on AAGPS schools and their opponents.
Sorry CAS and alphabet associations lads, I am not going to do you yours.
See if you can talk someone into this Not too hard

Please message me your tips if you wish to keep them secret.

NO tips accepted after midnight Friday.

O

Old High Boy

I went very low for the tackle and his momentum went over me. When I tried to lift his legs as you would in a legal tackle his momentum continued going over me tipping him past the horizontal.

You sound like you didn't mean to do it, and it was an unfortunate accident...
When is the judiciary hearing? I assume on Wednesday evening? Keep us posted on how it goes...

O

Old High Boy

Any thoughts?

I am a current ref around the traps, and this is also prevalent in Seniors rugby... The main reason we are seeing uncontested scrums being called is that with COVID and the poor weather that influenced the start of the season, so many teams were not able to practice their scrummaging... as a result, competition admins have relaxed the rules for uncontested scrums for the first few weeks (this is seniors).

Whenever I get an uncontested scrum I keep a keen eye on the defensive backrow - and I tell them as well - not to go early.

Status
Not open for further replies.