• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Today Joeys teams depart for Armidale with four teams travelling and games scheduled for tomorrow:

9:00 Joeys 15B v TAS 15A
9:00 Joeys 16B v TAS 16A
10:00 Joeys 8th XV v TAS 2nd XV
11:00 Joeys 3rd XV v TAS 1st XV (first competition game)

Good luck to all teams and it promises to be a great weekend.

INP
Some schools don't make the effort any more to go north. I think it is so important that TAS is supported and respected for their contribution to the AAGPS. Yes it is a long way but a road trip does wonders for team camaraderie and the TAS hospitality is second to none. Good luck Joe boys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hi Joker

My point exactly. I bet the New boys now look back and say they got beat by 114-0 by a Wallaby standard, star studded Joeys 14D team. No scars and good memories.

Wyvernboy
The important lesson we learned from our coach Br Angelus was to respect the opposition by playing your best and not carrying on. Joeys lads score tries, couple of handshakes. You rarely see them carrying on like geese. (I'm looking at you Riverview) Mind you the Joeys lads did get carried away when this happened.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
My best result at school was beating Newington 114-0 in the mighty 14D's. This was when tries were worth 4 points as well. We didn't bother taking proper conversions, just drop kicks. At the end of the game the Newington kids were ok.
Hello Joker
Those sought of results are expected, when playing Joeys. It's part of the GPS makeup. One didn't complain, you got with the game. If you had a close lost to Joeys, that was great. A win and you became heroes. The 6th XV result in 1975. NC b SJC 6-3 at Hunters Hill. Was an experience for my year Group, we never forgot. As the team was almost wholly made up of Year 12s. The next year, a year 12 Newington team again. This time, the result was 66-6 in favour of Joeys and that 6thXV Highly was competitive. I think Joeys had between to 12-15 teams in the Opens. So if you play GPS Rugby, be prepared for a one sided result against Joeys. Any thing else is Icing on the Cake. Although, I wonder, if the Joeys boys, got their Ice Cream, that Saturday Night.

Last edited:

Bob Peters

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ok, a bit of Joeys intel extracted after buying very expensive shout at the HHH last night.

A couple of days ago Joeys were looking at naming an unchanged team after last weeks return to form game against Knox. However, with flu still running rampant through the place, halfback Hwi Sharlples is out, and prop Jack Barrett is in serious doubt. Both are clearly key players.

Injured backs Joey Fowler and Will Malloy are still out, but replacements Ben Playford and Miles Minto were both outstanding last week and back up in the 10 and 14 jerseys. Second rower Eamon Doyle was carried off last week with a dislocated kneecap, however there must be something special in the holy water in the chapel, as he has now been cleared to play. After debuting in the 12 jersey, flanker Patrick Young will stay in the backs following a promising performance in attack and defence last week.

A great game is on the cards. Scots will arrive with a point to prove after Kings took their chances and defied most tipsters last week. They will play percentages and try to utilise a direct power game with a focus on set piece, mauling, and kicks to the corners supported with strong ball carriers across the park.

Joeys will try to work their way in behind Scots forwards before shifting wide at every opportunity where Ronan Leahy and the two Jorgensen’s were outstanding and ran riot in attack last week. Based on previous performances this season, Scots are likely to score about 20 points (and Joeys are averaging conceding about 20 points a game), but the question is will Joeys be able to score more?

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Bob. Great preview. If Jack Barrett is ruled out that is a huge loss for Joeys.

Sounds like there are some impressive young players from famous families in the Scots team, will watch with interest.

Getting close to GPS selections, very hard to see any team dominating selections on what we have seen so far, but I guess lots can change in the next couple of weeks.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder, if the Joeys boys, got their Ice Cream, that Saturday Night.
There was a time in 1981 when we won a certain game with a field goal that ice-cream suddenly appeared on the Saturday night menu, It did help with the usual stodge we got. The real bonus was at the Mass after dinner when the Chaplain said there would be no sermon, as Peter Tonkin requested this. A load cheer went up in the chapel. The chaplain was known for his long sermons.

Shots On

Bob McCowan (2)
Zach Fittler ( the leaguey dog) is being considered as a potential selection for the NSW Blues in Origin 1, through his dad.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks Bob. Great preview. If Jack Barrett is ruled out that is a huge loss for Joeys.

Sounds like there are some impressive young players from famous families in the Scots team, will watch with interest.

Getting close to GPS selections, very hard to see any team dominating selections on what we have seen so far, but I guess lots can change in the next couple of weeks.
I totally agree with regards to the selections however I can say it’s almost certain who will be wearing #15 for the GPS A team.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
My best result at school was beating Newington 114-0 in the mighty 14D's. This was when tries were worth 4 points as well. We didn't bother taking proper conversions, just drop kicks. At the end of the game the Newington kids were ok.
these days the refs cut the games short in younger years if the opposition is getting pumped.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Newington's updated team lists against knox

1653618588563.png

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
After a strong start to the season by Shore, they have dominated teams with their fast attack, competitive nature in defence and team culture. Although the teams are quite unpredictable this year i think we will see an increase with the amount of Shore boys selected in the GPS teams. I think we will see many more new names this year in the GPS teams as many players have evolved and put their name up for selection. However, there will still be a well concentrated amount of boys from all GPS schools selected for representative teams such as Joeys and Kings (always strong). There is still more games before the teams are chosen, but does anyone have any predictions on dominant teams or players?
It's difficult for a number of reasons. For example, Scots will have pretty much played every GPS school in a trial before selections and Shore will have only played one GPS school - Scots (next week). Do GPS selectors prefer to watch two GPS teams play? Does this help or hinder Scots or Shore? Who knows? Sometimes its the players who are outstanding in a tight game or a losing cause that are the one's worth noting. Being a legend in a 50-point drubbing isn't everything. Pretty safe to assume Jack Barrett and Max Jorgensen are a lock as they were GPS 1's last year and have been exceptional so far this year. Very open field for the 13 spots after that.........

yoursinrugby

Peter Burge (5)
Today Joeys teams depart for Armidale with four teams travelling and games scheduled for tomorrow:

9:00 Joeys 15B v TAS 15A
9:00 Joeys 16B v TAS 16A
10:00 Joeys 8th XV v TAS 2nd XV
11:00 Joeys 3rd XV v TAS 1st XV (first competition game)

Good luck to all teams and it promises to be a great weekend.

INP
What are predictions for 3rd XV and the rest of that comp

dave rennie

Banned
very keen to watch this fixture tomorrow, hopefully the barbecue lives up to its expectations joker.
attached below are the Scots team lists...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 1.38.01 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 1.38.01 pm.png
    115 KB · Views: 355

wyvernboy

Banned
Thanks Dusk

More "tweaking" of the backline. I know it's trials but there is this week and one more against Kings before the comp starts. Would like to see a settled line up. J McLaen at full back will be interesting to see. He should run the ball more hopefully. W. Quinn has more skills to utilise for a winger. See how D. Williams goes at 13. Forwards are unchanged but sure will be rotated with reserves. Good to see O.Townsend back in the mix.

Wyvernboy

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

Email received from Kings today​

Live Streaming of Winter Sport about to commence.​

AAGPS winter sporting fixtures continue this Saturday May 28, including the commencement of 1st and 2nd XI Football and 3rd XV Rugby AAGPS competitions.

The 1st and 2nd XI Football, and 3rd XV Rugby Fixtures will be streamed and available via:
www.cluch.tv
www.bit.ly/cluch-ios
www.bit.ly/cluch-android

They are also able to be viewed on Apple TV and Android TV.

The final timings of broadcasts will be available on the AAGPS platform, please follow relevant login instructions to register.

1st and 2nd XV Rugby fixtures will be streamed from Saturday 4 June (the last of the trial games)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.