• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Before e

Before you all get too excited at certain players getting off lightly ........ it is the blonde No. 16 replacement making the high tackle and not Jorgensen who wears No.15. (its very clear on Cluch).

And yes, very lucky not to get a yellow card.
Correct it was the 16. I have a copy of the game and so I can zoom in on the play. Joeys 15 was standing behind the line as a full back does.

tackle.jpg

Last edited:

stinglikeabee1972

Frank Row (1)
I’d assume the people who were closer were probably joeys supporters, because there was nothing good about it, a clean arm wrapped around the neck, go back and watch the footage if you have to. Just because the player didn’t milk it doesn’t make the tackle any better. In the official world rugby high tackle framework 2020 (attached) that could easily be considered a red and at bare minimum a yellow. “Benchmarks” don’t cut it unfortunately in the modern game. Games over now so no point getting up in arms about it. It’s just disappointing when a cardable offence as blatantly obvious as that is “missed”. Hopefully nothing of that nature happens in the GPS season to any team, as if that was treated properly view probably had a good chance at winning.
Couldn’t agree anymore. Well said.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
He's talking about the scrum, where the halfback fumbles it twice
The ball goes backwards.

The law of knock on is that the ball travels forward from the hands. The ref was looking at the Joeys half and on repeated viewing shows the ball traveling backwards towards the Joeys try line. If you play rugby you would see players pushing the ball backwards towards their team mates in a ruck situtaion. As the ball travels towards their own try-line this is not a knock on.

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree it was definitely a sin-binning offence and he was lucky.
View had tremendous defence and kept knocking the Jo-Boys over. The View number 7 and 12 were stand-outs. I would say the 12 likely to make GPS 1's now Cummins ineligible.
Home ground will make a big difference during the competition and what injuries may be picked up over the July holidays for Gen Blue or NSW Schools

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Joeys 9ths are called the nicotine ninths. They are a Year 12 team. At Joeys it goes even numbered teams are year 11 (so Joeys 4ths were all year 11) and odd numbered teams are year 12. The Joeys 13ths are made up of who is left. Sometimes a Joeys 7ths can match Joeys 4ths depending on the talent in the cohort.
Joker the 4ths is a mixture of Yr 11 and 12. From the 5ths down it is in Year Groups.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Agree it was definitely a sin-binning offence and he was lucky.
View had tremendous defence and kept knocking the Jo-Boys over. The View number 7 and 12 were stand-outs. I would say the 12 likely to make GPS 1's now Cummins ineligible.
Home ground will make a big difference during the competition and what injuries may be picked up over the July holidays for Gen Blue or NSW Schools
I thought the View 12 was very good. In fact I would pick him before Cummins, he is a far more effective player (although not as fancy) and clearly knows how to keep his composure. Far better to be in the trenches with a lad like that.

The Metre Eater

Ward Prentice (10)
TME here, making my long awaited return from a 18-month hiatus. Was fantastic to venture down to Hunter's Hill this weekend to watch 'View take on Joeys. A tough result to stomach for someone with Riverview allegiances such as myself, but there were good signs for the upcoming GPS season. Although View aren't a big side, they are well drilled and obviously have been working hard to get their fitness up. Interesting dynamic between the View #2 & #11, being twin brothers. Perhaps their fraternal bond has lifted the broader chemistry of the Lane Cove outfit. Worth reading into...

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
NO, Timothy Sekel from Riverview at 6 - was NSW schools last year, and AU Presidents XV - a perfect candidate.
Scot's 6 has been without a doubt the best back rower the comp has seen in a few years maybe even the past 10. No one will be able to battle him for the spot and if so there has to be an investigation into how these teams are picked.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Lots of positions open.
Barrett and Steel from Shore likely Props
Scots second rower and Number 6 will make it
Darling from Joeys at 8
Half-back open
Joey Fowler likely 10
Oscar Jorgensen 11
Riverview 12
Ronan Leahy 13
Hadley Tonga 14
Max Jorgensen 15

Only an educated guess
Tunui Jorgenson at 1 for New is a very tough player and Taukumao on the wing is outstanding, although O Jorgenson has got one wing locked up.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
TME here, making my long awaited return from a 18-month hiatus. Was fantastic to venture down to Hunter's Hill this weekend to watch 'View take on Joeys. A tough result to stomach for someone with Riverview allegiances such as myself, but there were good signs for the upcoming GPS season. Although View aren't a big side, they are well drilled and obviously have been working hard to get their fitness up. Interesting dynamic between the View #2 & #11, being twin brothers. Perhaps their fraternal bond has lifted the broader chemistry of the Lane Cove outfit. Worth reading into...
They have a younger brother in the 15's who is very talented. Who knows, perhaps he can skip to opens next year. That would have to be some kind of record.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi All

New won against Auggies ( their only win so far ) with a backline :

9 Dickens 10 McGregor 11 Williams 12 Barton 13 McLean 14 Takoumo 15 Quinn

Can't see much wrong with this backline but it has not stayed the same since. 9,10 have a good combo. 9 has a good pass and directs play well. 10 is a good runner of the ball, passess well and his short kick game is good. Can tackle if needed. 12 has been solid in defence and links well. 13 is the issue and I've said this before. Need a defensive 13 who can tackle and link well with outside backs. J.McLean defence can be questionable at times and will struggle to contain the J and S outside backs when tested. I would have O.Townsend as 13. good pass,can tackle and kick's well. Gives you another flyhalf option. 11 is J McLean. give him the ball and tell him to run,run,run. 14,15 can interchange but from what I've seen, Quinn has good skills for 15 and Takoumo can finish well and has a big boot. Reserves Williams, McLean Junior and 2nds backs.

Fowards are ok but have not improved as much as would have liked. Set piece is still not the best. As mentioned, if New want to play an expansive game and spread the ball to their talented outside backs, they need to have fit and upskilled flankers to be able to recyle the ball. They have been caught a few times at the breakdown. The flankers work hard but their technique may need improving. Maybe keep it a bit tighter initially before going wide.

Scots will try to truck it up in the forwards. They have a big pack but if New play smart and run them around, they could exploit their backs. It will come down to the forwards ( most games do ). If New keeps possession and not kicks it away, then they have points in them.

Agreeb that McGregor is a great finisher but for this team, I think he is better suited to 10. He is not afraid to take on the defense at 10 which keeps the oppo guessing and with Townsend at 13 you have 2 flyhalves.

Wyvernboy
IMO It was a game that could have gone either way.

Since round 1 of the trial games the Backs have improved on their defence and the Forwards have improved on their set pieces however as you mentioned they need to tighten up around the ruck areas.

If my memory serves me correctly all New tries came from set pieces.
1st try was of a dominant scrum with the sniper #9 going in under the posts.

2nd try was from a lineout with a back rower storming towards the line than a pick and go from the base of the ruck by #1.

And the 3rd try again of a lineout and again with a back rower storming towards the line than a pick go from 1 falling short of the line than quick ball from the 9 out to the backs with the #15 going in for a well deserved team effort.
Love2Scrum

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Scot's 6 has been without a doubt the best back rower the comp has seen in a few years maybe even the past 10. No one will be able to battle him for the spot and if so there has to be an investigation into how these teams are picked.
Last 10 years? Hugh Bokenham, Henry O'Kane, Will Harris, all come to mind. This year both Sekel and Darling are better, IMHO. Scots 6 will make a good second rower though.

Infamous schoolboy

Stan Wickham (3)
Last 10 years? Hugh Bokenham, Henry O'Kane, Will Harris, all come to mind. This year both Sekel and Darling are better, IMHO. Scots 6 will make a good second rower though.
Out of the 3 named players above only one has continued on to considerable success in Will Harris. In what way would you consider Sekel and Darling to be better players than the Scots 6? because as I see it you are leaning towards View and Joeys players constantly, any reason for this bias ???????

GPS enthusiast

Frank Row (1)
GPS 1XV

1. Barrett (Joeys)
2. Johns (Shore)?
3. Stiel (Shore)
4. Scots number 6 (Scots)
5. Scots 5 (Scots)
6. Sekel (View)
7. ?
8. Darling (Joeys)
9. ?
10. Fowler (Joeys)
11. Grover (View)
12. Caillol (View 12) - Would be Cummins
13. ?
14. Perkins (View)
15. Jorgenson (Joeys)

SkyBlue

Banned
Out of the 3 named players above only one has continued on to considerable success in Will Harris. In what way would you consider Sekel and Darling to be better players than the Scots 6? because as I see it you are leaning towards View and Joeys players constantly, any reason for this bias ???????
Can we stop pretending there is a whole secret anti-Scots GPS agenda, quite frankly we don't care about you enough to be plotting our hatred and revenge against you all the time? Also, O'Kane is one year out of school and in the Tigers top 30. Bokenham is a Tah.

Status
Not open for further replies.