• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Steve's GPS Teams

1stXV2ndXV3rdXV
1. J Barret (J)T Jorgensen (N)?
2. C Johns (E)Lipina Ata (N)Bailey Park (K)
3. J Stiel (E)H Basten (K)?
4. O McCrea (S)N Ritchens (E)D Fogarty (J)
5. ?Archie Campell (J)J McCreery (E)
6. B Di Staso (S)Harry Darling (J)Liam Sullivan (I)
7. J Villiamu (N)H Davis (S)A Burbridge (K)
8. Tim Sekel (I)Nick Harris (S)Richard Penisini (K)
9. Billy Dickens (N)J Hutton (E)Charlie McLaren (S)
10. B Dufficy (K)J Fowler (J)J Dillon (I)
11. W Perkins (I)T Klem (E)H Murray (E)
12. J Caillol (I)L Bassingthwaighte (E)T Lokeni (K)
13. R Leahy (J)M Threkeld (I)J McLean (N)
14. S Taukamo (N)O Jorgensen (J)H Tonga (K)
15. M Jorgensen (J)Dougal Payne (E)A Staniforth (K)

Pretty sure I got most of it in, not sure on a couple positions. All opinion based, keen for any suggestions. May have got some names incorrect as-well. Can't wait to see how these GPS teams turn out.
I would have Di Staso at 5, Sekel at 6 and Darling at 8. Fowler would be my 10, and I like I said before, any winger that keeps Oscar Jorgo out must be prodigious. Joeys 6 , Fogarty should be on the list somewhere, quite underrated.

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Correct. Shared with Joeys
You also shared it with Joeys again in 1993
It is such a shame as this kiddy has been at the College since his Prep school days. This is a homegrown product. Who got in his ear? He has playing interchange for Manly this year. Such a pity as has been playing club rugby since he was 7.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...t/news-story/ef81adfe47df78aae635872de7f10819
Although it's disappointing that Finn won't be going to you union, he has preferred League for most of his life and was always looking to play NRL. Of course he still may play Union as he's only year 10.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I would have Di Staso at 5, Sekel at 6 and Darling at 8. Fowler would be my 10, and I like I said before, any winger that keeps Oscar Jorgo out must be prodigious. Joeys 6 , Fogarty should be on the list somewhere, quite underrated.
Darcy Fogarty will probably play out the season in the 4 jumper for Joeys, with Archie Campbell coming back into 6 and Pat Young at 7 (or vice versa).

Last edited:

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Love 2 Scrum GPS 1 Selection:

1. T. Jorgensen (N)
2. Bailey Parks (K)
3. J. Barret (J)
4. A. Campell (J)
5. H. Darling (J)
6. B. Di Staso (S)
7. T. Sekel (I) or P. Young (J)
8. J. Viliamu (N)
9. W. Rorsheim (E)
10. J. Fowler (J)
11. O. Jorgensen (J)
12. T. Loheni (K)
13. R. Leahy (J)
14. S. Taukamo (N)
15. M. Jorgensen (J)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Very good point, and since his father is responsible for the BBQ at HH he deserves extra credit towards selection
and extra bacon on his "rower"......mmmm....bacon

vm8kF5M.jpeg

BringTheBiff

Frank Nicholson (4)
Love 2 Scrum GPS 1 Selection:

1. T. Jorgensen (N)
2. Bailey Parks (K)
3. J. Barret (J)
4. A. Campell (J)
5. H. Darling (J)
6. B. Di Staso (S)
7. T. Sekel (I) or P. Young (J)
8. J. Viliamu (N)
9. W. Rorsheim (E)
10. J. Fowler (J)
11. O. Jorgensen (J)
12. T. Loheni (K)
13. R. Leahy (J)
14. S. Taukamo (N)
15. M. Jorgensen (J)
Barret and Jorgensen over Barret and stiel? Not disagreeing just want to know why youd take jorgensen over stiel?

Rugby Survivor

Ward Prentice (10)
Fogarty has one of the highest work rates in the competition. Not a thick set kid but good in the air and will appear in one of the teams. Whether second row or back row not sure.
GPS selectors different to Gen Blue selectors so opinions will vary on players.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Barret and Jorgensen over Barret and stiel? Not disagreeing just want to know why youd take jorgensen over stiel?
Both are good players. They have a similar dynamic style of playing however IMO the difference is Jorgensen’s aggression at the breakdowns and his involvement in and around the ruck areas compared to Stiel.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some excellent debate on GPS selections. With 6 relatively close teams in relation to talent (and close scores when playing each other so far) it will be very competitive.

One consideration is lineout combinations. If, as most agree, Ollie McCrea (Scots) is one second row, then he is a lifter and definitely not a lineout jumper. Therefore, it is unlikely the other second row spot and every backrow spots will all go to powerful runners and tacklers like DiStasio, Sekel, Darling, Dickinson, Villiamu etc. – with none being recognised primary lineout options. This is maybe why we will see someone like Darcy Fogarty as a second row selection and maybe one of the backrow spots decided by lineout capability in addition to the other core selection requirements.

Rucksmen

Bob McCowan (2)
Would be interesting to see where they are all playing now and what code
From my personal knowledge (and no research) the following are playing Union currently, ranging from Subbies to the Wallabies & overseas

GPS: 1,2,3,6,8,9,10,11,12,13.

CAS: 2,3,4,5,6,9,10,12,15

Could well be more players I've missed as well

Alan jones

Frank Row (1)
Quinn Dickinson (Joeys 5) is another hugely underrated player. Runs just as hard as barret or stiel and tackles hard too. Great player to keep your eyes on
Totally agree, watched him play against riverview, he took important carries, adds physicality to the pack and has a big motor on him. I believe he bagged a meat pie aswell.

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Maurice Whelan was in the 1st XV at Joeys when he was 14 years old (year 9 today)
There was no 6th year back then.

He played in three premiership teams in 1933, 1934 and 1935 (captain)
He finished up the season by reaching a record points score for a G.P.S. player, 131 points in the seven competition games, made up of 16 tries, 7 penalty goals, and 31 conversions.

In today's points it would 163 points in seven games an average of 23 points per game!

View attachment 13751
Great photo allot of history

schoolboykurtley

Bob McCowan (2)
Both are good players. They have a similar dynamic style of playing however IMO the difference is Jorgensen’s aggression at the breakdowns and his involvement in and around the ruck areas compared to Stiel.
Hey Love2Scrum,

I have got to disagree with your opinion. After watching both these great players for a long time, Stiel runs the ball much better than Jorgensen and with the amount of skill around the ruck the GPS 1XV will have I think Stiel is the optimal choice due to this incredible ball running and defence.

SK:)

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Great photo allot of history
Having access to the archives is incredible. Joeys really documented their history.

From 1897...

In football our record for the season is sixteen matches played, nine won, six lost, and one drawn. 213 points were scored by our team as against 109 scored by our opponents.

We were in the final for the Football Premiership of the Great Public Schools. Our opponents were the Sydney Grammar School, whose team was the strongest the school had had for eight years ; the match deciding the Premiership was vigorously fought out by both sides, and narrowly won by the Sydney Grammar School.

The college footballers now enjoy the luxury of a "shower" after every match. Plunge and shower baths are fitted up in the college, and they are used not only by the cricketers and footballers, but also by the other students when needed.

Bloody luxury I say....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.