• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
Recent report that Class of 2017 (Joeys) first fifteen centre Tristan Reilly has signed with the tigers after his contract had finished with the tahs. Should be very interesting seeing the Aussie 7s star change code…

‘7’s star’ may be over selling it a bit?

He scored 3 tries in 10 matches.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Is this how bad the competition has become. Shore are hosting GPS vs CAS what an absolute laugh.
I don't mind the day time rep games. Knox in 2021 it was freezing that night. 4 degrees and rain.
I just hope the Shore canteen will be open with their great coffee and awesome pies.
The food at Knox was disappointing.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
REMINDER. TIPS ARE DUE FRIDAY MIDNIGHT

Tips Week 6.jpg

B&W

Frank Row (1)
Interesting Jika story Joker. Jika always admired the way Joeys played the game and always emphasized that although they were tough opponents, they were always fair opponents. He thought they played a beautiful form of the game.
Jika hated showboating of any kind. He disliked the boys wearing boots which were anything other than black, so when the boots with the two white stripes down the side came out in 70s, he went through a phase of making the kids paint over them with black paint or shoe polish. Eventually he learned to live with them (but still hated them).
He insisted that the firsts play in an identical jersey to the rest of the shool - this was also one of his big things. He said that if you are representing the school you should wear the school jersey and that a differnt jersey was showboating.
He even thought 'round the corner kicking' for conversions rather than the old school run up and kick in a straight line was showboating . . . until he had a particularly good kicker and he changed his mind.
He had something to do with inventing the black and white cardboard corner posts used in rugby fields for a long time.
He was an old Shore boy. After serving in WW2 (which he often talked about) he came back to Australia and played for Sydney University. Then he won a Rhodes scholarship and went to Oxford where he captained the rugby team. This lead to him being selected to play rugby . . . for England - so he actually played against Neville Emery the sports master who was playing for Australia.
His book 'Let's Talk Rugger' or 'How to Play Rugger" (same book different title) was published back in 1950 and was a textbook on how to play the game and he was still recommending it to new players decades later

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
OPEN REPRESENTATIVE RUGBY PROGRAM 2022

COACHES
1st XV Tyrone Smith (G) & Tim Wallace (E)
2nd XV Brian Smith (S) & Adam Whalley (A)
Blue Greg Thompson (J) & Tom Coupland (J)
White Warwick Percival (K) & Harry Randall (K)

PROGRAM
Saturday June 18 Teams selected & posted on AAGPS Website

Sunday June 19 Medical & Light Training 11 a.m. The Scots College.

Monday June 20 Training
1st & 2nd XVs The Shore School Sports Grounds 3.30 p.m.
Blue & White XVs St Josephs College Sports Grounds Hunters Hill 3.30 p.m.

Tuesday June 21 Fixtures: Shore School Sports Grounds Northbridge
1st XV v CAS 3.15 p.m.
2nd XV v CAS 1.55 p.m.
GPS Blue v Sydney Juniors U/18. 12.35 p.m
GPS White v NSW Country Juniors U/18. 11.15 a.m.

Reselect AAGPS 1st & 2nd XVs and Post on AAGPS Website Wednesday June 22

Thursday June 23 Training 1st XV & 2nd XV & Bench The Shore School Sports Grounds

Friday 24 June Fixtures NSW Schools Championships at Eric Tweedale Stadium 2 Montrose Ave Merrylands
1st XV v ISA 1 3.15 p.m.
2nd XV v ISA 2 2.00 p.m.

PATHWAY POST Friday June 24

5 Teams selected after Friday June 24

NSW Gen Blue teams 1 & 2 selected first.

Saturday 25 June Medicals & Kit Distribution

Sunday 26 Rest Day

Monday 27

Tuesday 28 Training 9 - 3

Wednesday 29 Rest Day

Thursday 30 June Training 9 - 1

Friday July 1 Game Day Flight to Brisbane 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.

Gen Blue Program recommences on August 20

NSW Schools 1st & 2nd XVs selected next. Their schedule is:

Saturday 25 June Medicals

Monday 27 - Saturday 2 July Training - times to be determined

Tuesday 5 - Saturday 9 July AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIPS at Knox College.

NSW U/18 Juniors selected last.
Training & Australian schools Championships similar Program to NSW Schools.

It has been said before, but the question still stands. WHY does the GPS pick 4 rep sides, when comparative associations like the CAS pick 2. It is ridiculous, either you qualify for the top 2 teams or you don't, sounds like everyone is a winner in the GPS.

The reality is, the poor few GPS boys who miss out must feel pretty ordinary, and those that makes the 3rd and 4th REP team, I can't believe I just said that, are pretty much finished re further rep teams after they play the rest.

Mind you, I hope those teams who play the GPS 3rds and 4ths get some benefit. If so, why isn't there, 3 GPS rep teams and 3 CAS rep teams, that would make more sense, given both associations have only 6 teams in their comp.

Look forward to the responses!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
It has been said before, but the question still stands. WHY does the GPS pick 4 rep sides, when comparative associations like the CAS pick 2. It is ridiculous, either you qualify for the top 2 teams or you don't, sounds like everyone is a winner in the GPS.

The reality is, the poor few GPS boys who miss out must feel pretty ordinary, and those that makes the 3rd and 4th REP team, I can't believe I just said that, are pretty much finished re further rep teams after they play the rest.

Mind you, I hope those teams who play the GPS 3rds and 4ths get some benefit. If so, why isn't there, 3 GPS rep teams and 3 CAS rep teams, that would make more sense, given both associations have only 6 teams in their comp.

Look forward to the responses!
Way back in the 90’s the CAS did have 3 teams and so did the GPS, then over time the CAS comp became so weak and even the schools that are OK rely so much on recently acquired talent they could only field 2 teams. The additional GPS team was created to help provide games for other pathway opportunities like the SJRU.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Ah Iast time I checked the ARU doesn’t have a draft and doesn’t use the college system to recruit the majority of its players

Secondly your confusing College with High school.. There is nothing stopping a Pro team approaching a high school kid .. Lebron was courted by many pro teams while at school, hell he signed a Nike deal while he was still in high school .. he never even went to college! … straight to the NBA
Yes, and he wasn’t allowed to play high school games once he accepted a small gift from a clothing store and he was ineligible for college. It worked out fo Le Bron just fine obviously but the point stands, high school kids cannot have professional contracts or other endorsements and still play on high school teams.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Way back in the 90’s the CAS did have 3 teams and so did the GPS, then over time the CAS comp became so weak and even the schools that are OK rely so much on recently acquired talent they could only field 2 teams. The additional GPS team was created to help provide games for other pathway opportunities like the SJRU.

Yep OS, I understand the way it was for a relatively small amount of time re the CAS, BUT when I played we beat the GPS 1s in 1979, and 1978 as well, and that contest was well and truly alive in the 1980s. Since the 90's things have changed a lot, I think you are a bit OTT re the CAS teams relying solely on recently acquired talent, many GPS schools have been doing that for ages, and quite frankly these few people rarely win comps.

Fact is, these days, IT IS VERY EVEN, more often than not, the stronger CAS schools beat the GPS schools.
So rather than give out a reward for nearly all 1st XV GPS player, it deserves to be shared between both associations, IMO.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Yep OS, I understand the way it was for a relatively small amount of time re the CAS, BUT when I played we beat the GPS 1s in 1979, and 1978 as well, and that contest was well and truly alive in the 1980s. Since the 90's things have changed a lot, I think you are a bit OTT re the CAS teams relying solely on recently acquired talent, many GPS schools have been doing that for ages, and quite frankly these few people rarely win comps.

Fact is, these days, IT IS VERY EVEN, more often than not, the stronger CAS schools beat the GPS schools.
So rather than give out a reward for nearly all 1st XV GPS player, it deserves to be shared, IMO.
So why doesn’t it happen?

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yes, and he wasn’t allowed to play high school games once he accepted a small gift from a clothing store and he was ineligible for college. It worked out fo Le Bron just fine obviously but the point stands, high school kids cannot have professional contracts or other endorsements and still play on high school teams.
He was already turning pro he didn’t need to NCAA eligibility .. so that’s a catch 22…

he also played for his school throughout his senior year, with many games getting PPV on espn views (which I’m sure the $chool$ got a cut of ) so it goes both ways

anyway it doesn’t matter in Australia, we don’t a have a college system, and if kid is talented to get selected to a pro team in while in school - god bless ‘em - just because It’s not your preferred code means nothing ..

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
He was already turning pro he didn’t need to NCAA eligibility .. so that’s a catch 22…

he also played for his school throughout his senior year, with many games getting PPV on espn views (which I’m sure the $chool$ got a cut of ) so it goes both ways

anyway it doesn’t matter in Australia, we don’t a have a college system, and if kid is talented to get selected to a pro team in while in school - god bless ‘em - just because It’s not your preferred code means nothing ..
The argument that Le Bron was already turning professional is a straw-man and the conflict between amateur school boy football and the professional game is an aside. We started considering higher rep honours in one professional code for a player who has already committed to another professional code. As per the thrust of my original comment, the school associations have no obligation and will pick whoever they want, however why would NSW or QLD provide opportunity to a player who has already declared defection? I can think of no professional situation where an employer would provide opportunity or incentive to an employee or potential employee who has already said they are going in a different direction. Why should this be different?

Last edited:

Stiffy Griffy

Frank Row (1)
Has anyone noticed the uplift in the Newington College rugby system?

Well, Lachlan Fear, Head of rugby has made this possible. It may not show on the field but behind doors he looks like a hardworking man, looking to bring the Newington Rugby program up. Don't write this Newington team off, they have the potential and coaching staff to work towards the shield, especially with the mastermind, Lachlan Fear behind it all.

My tips for this weekend:
Scots 25+
Shore 7+
Kings 19+

Also, can i get your thoughts on my comment up the top ?

Stiffy Griffy Out

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
@Number 7 will know for sure.
Yes correct. He will be a big loss as he was a real leader in the pack however there is good bench strength this year and they have been rotating players tactically during the trials so the player stepping up will be ready.

I really feel sorry for him as he has been an excellent player right through the age groups.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Stiffy Griffy

Are you being serious about Lachlan Fear ? You say he is a mastermind yet you are tipping Scots by 25+.
The New 1sts team throughout the age groups HAVE been very strong however their stagnant growth over the last 2 years and the improvement in other schools has caught up. If anything, Lachlan Fear and the coaching staff is a major reason for this stagnation. I'm sure he is working hard and has his heart in it, but you can work hard yet achieve little.
Please explain further as to what Mr. Fear and his coaching staff have done and are doing to mastermind this team's progress to potentially work towards the shield.

Wyvernboy

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi Dusk

Just saw the team list for Sat.

D.Wright is back at 10 and J.McGregor shifted to 15. O.Townsend ( Captain of Rugby ) fit enough to play, 10 for 2nds.

D.Wright's first game back from injury in Trial 1? McGregor hasn't done much wrong at 10 and will be ok at 15 but S.Taukomo could be wasted at 14 if doesn't get involved or enough ball?
O.Townsend should be 10 or 13 in 1sts if he is fit enough.

Forwards are ok. Hope they worked on their set pieces.

Thoughts ?

Wyvernboy

Stiffy Griffy

Frank Row (1)
Hi Stiffy Griffy

Are you being serious about Lachlan Fear ? You say he is a mastermind yet you are tipping Scots by 25+.
The New 1sts team throughout the age groups HAVE been very strong however their stagnant growth over the last 2 years and the improvement in other schools has caught up. If anything, Lachlan Fear and the coaching staff is a major reason for this stagnation. I'm sure he is working hard and has his heart in it, but you can work hard yet achieve little.
Please explain further as to what Mr. Fear and his coaching staff have done and are doing to mastermind this team's progress to potentially work towards the shield.

Wyvernboy
Hi Wyvernboy

In regards to the tipping, it still doesn't mean I can comment on Newington Rugby and Lachlan Fear. Newington has a strong side, and if they move and work towards their strengths, then they shall see an outcome. But if things turn sideways then it Scots on the board with a high scoring game. My tips aren't relevant to my comment on Lachlan Fear. I believe that the Newington 1XV is working towards something and not seeing results in the trial, it'll be a hard game to wrap. By all means, they could possibly be the underdogs of the 2022 GPS competition.

Stiffy Griffy Out

Status
Not open for further replies.