• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyvernboy

Banned
Hi OlderSlower

Agree with your thoughts.
Rugboy is correct in saying that up to school reps, it should be open for all boys. But "we" is RA and the limited resources ( money ) they have can't be invested in kids that will ultimately choose to play league, therefore their rep places should be offered to kids that stay in union. The door should always stay open to the kids that play league.
RA should def consider selling the world opportunity's that union provides. As mentioned, links with overseas clubs, uni scholarships or work opportunities should be offered to the top x number of kids ( 15 ?) and hopefully that can persuade a few to stay playing union after school.

Wyvernboy

Snowy Mountains

Frank Nicholson (4)
Appeasement never works in any course of life. The names you mention above were mostly all given a lot of opportunity, they took it, they left, they won’t come back unless it is purely monetary. Rugby Australia must focus on the kids who want to play and get better at selling the dream of what the opportunity really is in a world game. Long term union is far more rewarding and enriching but not everyone will see that if their world view is shaped by local player “managers”. No doubt NRL offers superior short term early career development and money. The gap can be bridged by thinking cleverly about how to leverage clubs in Europe in particular but also Japan, possibly even local and offshore universities with combined play and learn scholarships to offer a compelling alternative.
Well said. The opportunity to study and play abroad is one that needs to be considered.

wyvernboy

Banned
BTW,
Opened the Sunday Tele looking for a write up about the Wallabies v England game and found NOTHING. Not sure if I missed it. Did anyone see anything ? The coverage was very poor considering it was an international.

Wyvernboy

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Having worked for a couple of NRL clubs (but a rugby background, played for a Joeys) there is nothing that can be done, NRL has the financial superiority. Union needs to be centre stage on free to air in prime time to secure $$$$. Kids want $$$$
You are so spot on. NRL has weekly 4 free to air TV matches, plus every game on Fox. NRL 360, the fan and late show with Matty Johns which boosts the profile of the NRL. Worst mistake ever made was by Rayleen Castle not going with Fox $30 million offer! now the Union is on a back water channel Stan. Their is little or no publicity around Super rugby. What I would propose is somehow get back onto Fox, have a few mid week talk shows to keep the discussions up. In addition get the Shute shield back on free to air TV. In addition every week put on TV one schoolboy match on ABC TV either CAS or GPS doesn't matter pick the game of the round.

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
I heard that this year the Gen Blue/NSWJRU are taking a stand against the kids who have signed junior NRL contracts which are Woods, Conti and Bartlett. I do understand both sides of the fence however I do feel that on many occasions Union never fight for the kids and just roll over. I have seen this on many occasions whereby Union have not tried to keep the kids in the game and have just let whatever the NRL offers rule. Union does offer lot more opportunities to play overseas and also what happens after rugby is a big thing as well, all these need to be promoted and the kids who are "dual path" need to be worked with not completely dropped from NSWJRU squads which is what has occurred here. Its basic laziness and entitlement of the management of the NSWJRU and unfortunately the kids are lost to Union forever. Their is a huge list and it keeps growing and growing.
So the NRL contracted kids have been dropped cold by the Gen Blue system and the leader. I know for a fact that Finnlay Bartlett is still in the SRU (Scottish Rugby Union) Exiles/Scottish qualified system. This suggests to me he hasn't 100% turned his back on Union completely even though he has a contract with the Sea Eagles. What this suggests to me instead of the NSWJRU having a conversation with the kid they have stuck their heads in the sand and gone completely cold and defensive. Maybe this is why the junior Wallabies were absolutely belted the other day 69-12. We can blame Cov etc but the reality is NZ had Cov as well. This suggests to me that the system is completely broken. When was the last time we won the Bledsoe Cup (1984) some 38 years ago and probably given the current pathways systems another 38 years. Here's a suggestion to the Pathways management go and have a conversation with these kids and bring in the families see where they are at, see what options you can provide them and then go from there, pretty simple stuff. Who know one day Finnlay might be running out at Murrayfield pulling on the Blue Scottish jersey.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
RA has been hit and miss with its retention of talented youngsters over the years under various leadership. They had had a fighting fund at stages that kept the likes of Angus Bell and Will Harris in the sport despite serious competition from league, then there was the unbelievable stuff up with Crichton where they told him that he wouldn't play Super for 5 years post-school so he shot through to the NRL instead. Playing devil's advocate Cameron Murray for instance was never playing rugby post-school so hard to judge RA based on that. IMO each Super club should have a mandated 2 positions for school leavers to train full-time post-school. That's 10 positions, if it was say 50k half funded by RA and half by the club that's 50k per super club and 250k for RA, to keep the top 10 kids in the game. NRL clubs have development contracts, same deal full time training, theirs are 60k and can play in the NRL from mid season.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
So the NRL contracted kids have been dropped cold by the Gen Blue system and the leader. I know for a fact that Finnlay Bartlett is still in the SRU (Scottish Rugby Union) Exiles/Scottish qualified system. This suggests to me he hasn't 100% turned his back on Union completely even though he has a contract with the Sea Eagles. What this suggests to me instead of the NSWJRU having a conversation with the kid they have stuck their heads in the sand and gone completely cold and defensive. Maybe this is why the junior Wallabies were absolutely belted the other day 69-12. We can blame Cov etc but the reality is NZ had Cov as well. This suggests to me that the system is completely broken. When was the last time we won the Bledsoe Cup (1984) some 38 years ago and probably given the current pathways systems another 38 years. Here's a suggestion to the Pathways management go and have a conversation with these kids and bring in the families see where they are at, see what options you can provide them and then go from there, pretty simple stuff. Who know one day Finnlay might be running out at Murrayfield pulling on the Blue Scottish jersey.
It has been a while since we won the Bledisloe but not quite as long you say…. Anywho. A single U20’s game doesn’t indicate the pathways are broken. We have had considerable success at U20’s world cups over the past decade. That said, I think there are a lot of improvements that can be made to retain kids, pandering to kids who are just playing union off against league to bolster their league deal isn’t one of them though. BTW, it would seem probable that whatever this Scottish exiles thing you mention is, it isn’t paying anything to develop Bartlett, they are just monitoring him to take advantage if RA or the NRL drop the ball or don’t get him first.

Last edited:
settle down we last won the Bledisloe in 2002...

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Was this boy dropped cold for signing with Manly or simply not picked? A thread earlier suggests that many of the U16 boys have signed with league clubs and still chosen for City, Schools or Country?
I think there is more to it. The schools teams including NSW haven’t discriminated, only at Gen Blue and above has there been any differentiation which seems perfectly fair and reasonable.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Was this boy dropped cold for signing with Manly or simply not picked? A thread earlier suggests that many of the U16 boys have signed with league clubs and still chosen for City, Schools or Country?
I posted earlier that Mclean (Penrith) and Tovio (Souths) were chosen in the 1s. Fittler and Rodwell (Roosters) were chosen in the 2s. So I don't believe his non-selection was related to a league contract.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
As a Spectator and Supporter of the U16s Regionals last weekend at the Easts Rugby Club, i was able to witness an amazing first half of the Sydney Juniors team over NSW Schools 2, in the first half the dominate performance came from the Sydney forwards especially at set piece (SCRUMS) The amount of penalties against the NSW schools 2 team especially on the tight head side was horridness never scene a player so out of place in this rep level.
Judging by your spelling and grammar it would appear you are an expert on front row play.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
The 2022 Australian Schoolboys A Team Announced. The team will tour Japan late September.

292892062_794034025295800_9164007283748545141_n.jpg

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
The 2022 Australian Schoolboys A Team Announced. The team will tour Japan late September.

View attachment 14078
4 from QLD
4 from ACT
19 from NSW

Jersey #NameTeamSchool
1William McKinnonNSW 1Knox Grammar School
2Jakeb HorneQLD 2Brisbane State High School
3Peniata Jnr PoutasiQLD 1Keebra Park State High School
4Sebastian BushNSW 1Northern Beaches Secondary College
5Wil TaylorNSW 1St Stanislaus College
6Darcy FogartyNSW 2St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill
7Harry DavisNSW 1The Scots College
8Luron PateaNSW BBHills Sports High School
9Nick LammingNSW 1St Ignatius College Riverview
10Andrew McFarlaneACTSt Edmunds College
11Will PerkinsNSW 1St Ignatius College Riverview
12Leo BassingwaighteNSW 1Shore School
13Riley LangfieldNSW 1St Stanislaus College
14Finn LawsonQLD 1Mountain Creek State High School
15Shane WilcoxACTSt Edmunds College
16Sam BourgeoisNSW 2Knox Grammar School
17Ky PuleNSW 1Waverley College
18Will GoddardNSW 1Knox Grammar School
19Pat IslesACTMarist College Canberra
20Darcey BushACTDaramalan College
21TJ HerringNSW 2Northern Beaches Secondary College
22Manus BaileyNSW 1St Aloysius College
23Samu TuisauNSW JSEDA College
24Miracle TangataQLD 1King’s Christian College
25Jay IngletonNSW 1Oakhill College
26Ben ParkNSW BBKotara High School
27Harrison DarlingNSW 1St Joseph’s College Hunters Hill

ManagerJohn GuyHunter Valley Grammar School
Head CoachMark MoxonIgnatius Park College
Assistant CoachBen McGeeDaramalan College
PhysiotherapistNarelle VeverkaHornsby Physiotherapy

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He withdrew himself from both pathways. Infer from that what you wish.

Correct me if I am wrong,

But the Australian Schoolboys A team is kind of like our b team for schoolboys and the Australian schools & 18 team is our A team.

And if you play in ASRU Champships you can only be selected in Australian Schoolboys A, and not in Australian schools, only members of gen blue and the other academy teams can be in that team.

Why is it like this? Why is it such a confusing pathway? Was it always like this or has the implemented a couple of years ago?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Correct me if I am wrong,

But the Australian Schoolboys A team is kind of like our b team for schoolboys and the Australian schools & 18 team is our A team.

And if you play in ASRU Champships you can only be selected in Australian Schoolboys A, and not in Australian schools, only members of gen blue and the other academy teams can be in that team.

Why is it like this? Why is it such a confusing pathway? Was it always like this or has the implemented a couple of years ago?
You are correct, as for the reason why, I think it is an egotistical standoff between the schools and RA regarding funding and control. One of the many things to fix in order to get pathways right. At the moment the top 50 approximately NSW players and I assume similar numbers from other states aren’t eligible for schools A, greatly reducing the value of such a jersey and honour. I think the schools and u18 concept is more relevant globally and hence why RA wants to go that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.