• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
It is a pity there is no video of that game against High. They had a good all round team, just much smaller than the Russian sports lab produced monsters. The best and biggest player funnily enough was Tom Bowman and he had been at the school since year 3. Great bloke too.

Last edited:
O

Old High Boy

If I can digress, Marc Stcherbina, his schoolboy team mate also played for the Waratahs (42 times according to wiki) and also ended up in the Welsh rugby system. Must have been a bloody good backline at High in 93.

Aaagh yes - 'Stabby' was a bit of a late bloomer compared to the others

I believe Chris Whittaker was in the same team too

O

Old High Boy

Yep, putting aside whatever else people thing, he is a great great talent and plays some exciting footy. I believe he covers the opposition kick very well, something Scots struggled with Against Newington and Joeys. Hopefully he gets some more footy season. I'm not sure how serious the break is. He's always a generally nice bloke around the school.

PAS - I am looking forward to seeing Fittler go around against the Joeys backline, especially their captain at the back.

Thank heavens the weather is looking good for the rest of this week, and all of the grounds have a chance to dry out

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
I worked at TSC during the change from staff coaching the 1st XV to the induction of professional coaches who can teach a bit. While some have varying teaching loads given to them (I beleive Smith is on a full load) they are employed mainly to bring in the premierships. Before this it was hard working staff like Cooper, Graham, Inches who all taught full time and coached as well as they could with the cattle they had. First coach brought in was Cutler, but he wasn't supported with "new cattle". He did though help all teams, even the Prep. Additional Staff were then brought into find these elusive beasts and lure them to the pastures of Bellevue. It was too late for Cutler and he was shown the door after two seasons. Then Lambert arrived. Under his direction he hired Blackburn and the College focused entirely on the 1st XV. Development across the school lagged and hence the seed of discontent grew. Even former students of mine, and now players in the 2nd XV, spoke to me during their glory years that they felt ignored, just reserves for the 1st XV. Parents started to ask questions why only ONE team beat Joeys (1st XV) out of 17 games in 2012. I am told rugby across the school has improved which is good for all.

To the credit of Scots they did inspire other schools to lift their game in regards to size, strength and speed. They led the way and made AAGPS schoolboy rugby quasi-professional (leave that alone) It was only when other school started to match or use other tactics did Scots come back to the field. Plus, the "releasing" of two key sports staff at Scots helped (This was over the basketball scandal.)

In short, nothing new hear. Same old Scots, same old issues.

Now lets hear from Subbie and Rob.....I have poked the bear!
Good summary Joker but you forget Peter Koen being brought in 2001....I still stay Henry Veratau scored down the right hand side at the Joeys score board end (typical Joey's touch judge )
But in terms of non teacher coaches this isn't just a Scots thing.....looking at king's and shore ‍♂️

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Good summary Joker but you forget Peter Koen being brought in 2001....I still stay Henry Veratau scored down the right hand side at the Joeys score board end (typical Joey's touch judge )
But in terms of non teacher coaches this isn't just a Scots thing.....looking at king's and shore ‍♂️
As Brother Anthony SJC coach said, "If they played Lee Tomiki at 7 we would have never seen the ball". Playing him at 12 was wrong.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
One of these lads was a school produced player who arrived in year 7 and played his way to the 1st XV.....can you guess which one?

(Famous photo from the 1993 $cots v Joeys game....photo was on the wall of the old home change room) Great game.

Captain reads...

GPS Rugby Union Match At Scotts College....St. Joseph Vs Scotts College.Intimidating: Scots captain Scott Webster towers over Joey's James Cummins.

View attachment 14240
Here are some highlights
One of these lads was a school produced player who arrived in year 7 and played his way to the 1st XV.....can you guess which one?

(Famous photo from the 1993 $cots v Joeys game....photo was on the wall of the old home change room) Great game.

Captain reads...

GPS Rugby Union Match At Scotts College....St. Joseph Vs Scotts College.Intimidating: Scots captain Scott Webster towers over Joey's James Cummins.

View attachment 14240
highlights, noting that the two McAusland brothers who starred for Scots were ‘home grown’

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Boys from yr 7 in that team, Mcausland I & F, Boman T, Lee A, Dybal C, Bull T, Bursil D, Allan S. That's off the top of my head. Will never forget that day
Neither will I. I was on the old slope watching the game. Scots defence won the day. Joeys had plenty of ball but they couldn't break through. Too good.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
View attachment 14233

S Taumoepeau (Captain)
Might be a naïve question but is S Taumoepeau any relation to the Joeys Old Boys Pauli (current Tahs Assistant) and Afusipa (current Tongan International)?

Shame for Cummins. Looks a lively player who 1v1 is hard to handle. Was dropping back in D to fullback with Fittler defending at 12. Bit of a re jig required. At least being a Collar Bone he'll be right. Could be a lot worse if its Shoulder dislocations and the trouble that can start from that.

I think Sekel for View went down with a lower leg injury was chaired off. Hope the big fella is ok

I heard butterfingers Ben Di Stasio is going to lay this Jorgenson bloke out like a food platter this weekend.

1658788804515.png

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Might be a naïve question but is S Taumoepeau any relation to the Joeys Old Boys Pauli (current Tahs Assistant) and Afusipa (current Tongan International)?

Brothers. The eldest, S Taumoepeau, was the Sydney High Captain in 1993. Pauli was captain of Joeys 1st XV in 2004 and Zippa played in Joeys 1st XV in 2007. Both he and Pauli played Australian schoolboys.

RED CARD RICHARD

Bob McCowan (2)
good luck - not the first and won't be the last to try. Joeys love it when oppositions fixate on one player - creates opportunities elsewhere.
Red Card Richard checking in here!!
I'm new to the forum but have heard many positive reviews about the constructive discussions that take place surrounding the wonderful game of Rugby.

As a die hard Riverview old boy I cannot explain the excitement for the historic Joeys V View round.

I will be expecting view to target many representative joeys boys!!

RCR

O

Old High Boy

good luck - not the first and won't be the last to try. Joeys love it when oppositions fixate on one player - creates opportunities elsewhere.

I agree, trying to stop one or two key players is not the way to beat Joeys. And in fact, this has got me thinking about how to handle the famed Joeys running machine...

If schools want to beat the famous Cerise and Blue, I believe they need to focus on the following - (or any team that plays at pace in the forwards, and with highly skilled backs):

1. Starve them of the Ball: Keep the ball in hand, and do not kick to their back 3. I don't just mean to solely rumble up 1-2 passes from the ruck, but use the ball in hand, and keep the ball in hand and recycle. Any kicking needs to go into touch, and always make sure that someone touches or picks up that kicked ball that is not playing (i.e. spectator, coaching staff, etc). So kick it into the crowd and sacrifice a few metres to ensure this happens. This will stop any quick lineouts from occurring, and will allow the forwards to reset.
2. Have two #7s in your forward pack: To do #1 above, school teams should have two #7's in the pack - do away with the bigger less mobile #6, and have two fliers to attack the downed ball carrier so as to recycle possession, or cause a turnover.
3. Pressure the Joeys #9 ALL game: from the games I have seen on Cluch, he does make mistakes when he is pressured (at the back of scrums, TRM). I am not saying he is a poor player - far from it. But placing constant pressure on his passing will either generate mistakes, or diminish the quality of his service to the outside Joeys backs. Having two #7s will go a long way to achieving this.
4. Tackle Low Tackle Hard: I see too many schools trying to tackle too high - using arm grabs and the like - only to be palmed off, and the ball advanced further. This was noticeable with Newington last Saturday, and was frustrating to watch. Go low and bring the ball carrier down quickly and get back to the Jackal-jockey position for the turn over ball opportunity. What this does will force the supporting attacking backs to enter the TR area to support (assuming the #7 has already been in a previous play, and not nearby), thereby reducing their effectiveness for advancing the play forward.
5. Use an Outside Back Drift Style Defence: I also see defending outside backs doing man-on-man defence at schoolboy level; that will only work if the defenders always stay-and-stop their man, and is typically used in conjunction with a rush-up defensive pattern (i.e. - an up and in your face defence). When facing teams that have a well-drilled and quick backline, It is always best to use a drift defensive pattern, and use the sideline as an extra player, and shepherd the play towards that direction. This will require the defenders having faith in their inside teammates - not only to be there, but also to do their job if play turns back inwards.
6. Work with the Referee: If the referee is (for example) focusing on tackle release, do this, do this, and - do this... adapt to his refereeing style, let the opposition get frustrated with his calls and they will become lippy; believe me those 50-50 calls will go your way...

Anyway, better said than done, but I believe in this style of play - I'd be great to hear others of their opinions on this, and other potential ways to beat those Joeys boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.