• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy schoolboy

Peter Burge (5)
What on earth do you mean? I am looking forward to seeing the contest between 2 big inside centres.. How is that anti anything??

However now that you have poked the bear, and just for fun ...... If Distasio is as good as you claim then Oscar will need to play well, if Oscar blitz"s him we will forever know your value as a judge of rugby talent. One major challenge the Scots 6 now 12 will face is that shoulder charges are both a) harder to get away with in the centre field, and b) a lot less effective as a means of defence against a fast moving backline.... good luck!
Sorry old slower are you familiar with someone by the name of deez?

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks for the challenge.

I am fortunate to have seen many teams over the years. Some homegrown...some, you know, "the word that shall not be mentioned". Teams I consider great since I first started watching are the 2017 Scots, 2010 Newington, 2003 Riverview, 2000 Kings and 1984, 2004 & 2005 Joeys teams.

The one team I wish I saw was the 1963 Sydney Boys High team. Still holds the record for producing 5 Wallabies.

anyway....

The team that sticks out for me was the 1990 Joeys 1st XV.

This was the 44th GPS Rugby Premiership for St Joseph's and the 22nd Championship.

The forwards were small in size but were extremely mobile and possessed excellent skills. It contained David Kellaher, the finest player Brother Anthony says he ever coached. Fast, tough and never stopped. His appetite for work was incredible. The backs possessed great pace and attacking ability. If you look at the team photo you should recognise some players. What helped as the sprint coaching the boys had from the athletics coaches and this showed each game.

The side won all their trial and competition matches. They scored 43 tries during the GPS competition. Their defensive record was perfect (With thanks to Brother "Minister for Defense" Bede). They joined the great 1957 team as being the only sides from St Joseph's not to have a try scored against them in the competition. In only having 9 points (3 penalties) scored against them they also joined the 1985 side as record holders for least points against.

The side played 8 trial games.

The results were:
Newington Won 16-3
Knox Won 35-9
Scots Won 9-0
Ashgrove Won 13-10
Armidale Won 36-6
The Arnold School Won 30-0
Marist Canberra Won 46-0
Trinity Won 16-12

View attachment 14259
View attachment 14260
Don't forget Scots 93 & 2014

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
No doubt a Scots ploy to slow the fast moving Joeys backs and rampaging forwards whilst they have half their cohort at Glengary.
I don't think Chrisso is as bad as SROS is saying, althought it's fairly patchy, when it's not rainy, the fields are fine to play on, quite soft. It's such a nice location but drainage there is very difficult as it apparently actually used to be a tip in the early 1900's. Not sure when it became a field but I know scot's have been playing there for 40 years+ . It's certainly not as good as joeys 1 or 2 but it's not the worst field i've seen/played. As for the potholes, I'm pretty sure there are some around the entire park but i've never seen someone trip in one, knock on the wood that no one does.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Jason Kougellis (Kings 88) won the 100m, 200m and the shot put (and I think maybe the 400m too?).
Kougellis did win sprint double in 88 but not shot or 400m. I can’t be certain but I ran for New that year and I think shot and 400 were won by two other competitors. There have been a few GPS Athletes who ran sprints (either individual or relay) and threw shot but very very few have won both. Newington holds nearly all the GPS shot put records but none of those boys were also sprinters. I think the most versatile athlete of late has been a High athlete who broke a GPS high jump record and podium finished in the 100m in the same carnival and a King’s athlete who won 100, 200, 400, 800 and anchored a winning 4 x100 (same age group) and a 4 x 400 (two age groups up). No idea if he plays rugby. He is in the same year as my nephew but can’t recall the name.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Kougellis did win sprint double in 88 but not shot or 400m. I can’t be certain but I ran for New that year and I think shot and 400 were won by two other competitors. There have been a few GPS Athletes who ran sprints (either individual or relay) and threw shot but very very few have won both. Newington holds nearly all the GPS shot put records but none of those boys were also sprinters. I think the most versatile athlete of late has been a High athlete who broke a GPS high jump record and podium finished in the 100m in the same carnival and a King’s athlete who won 100, 200, 400, 800 and anchored a winning 4 x100 (same age group) and a 4 x 400 (two age groups up). No idea if he plays rugby. He is in the same year as my nephew but can’t recall the name.
Tepai Moeroa would probably own most of those shot records D Man

That_Halfback

Frank Row (1)
Hey there boys, cannot wait to see Di Staso at #12, he will shut down O.Jorgo easily and put on a performance. I understand O Jorgensens capabilities, but is he really that good? Love to hear your thoughts if its in the blood or in the name for Oscar?

The.General

Banned
Hey Joker, did you by any chance attend Joeys as a schoolboy and teach at the Scots Prep School in the early 2000's, if so i think we might know each other.

O

Old High Boy

Hey there boys, cannot wait to see Di Staso at #12, he will shut down O.Jorgo easily and put on a performance. I understand O Jorgensens capabilities, but is he really that good? Love to hear your thoughts if its in the blood or in the name for Oscar?

Welcome aboard TH - your post is a common theme recently, and the match up is eagerly anticipated.

Both are fine players, and it will be interesting what transpires. OJ has pedigree, and its definitely in his blood.

The.General

Banned
Welcome aboard TH - your post is a common theme recently, and the match up is eagerly anticipated.

Both are fine players, and it will be interesting what transpires. OJ has pedigree, and its definitely in his blood.
Did you attend SBHS, just trying to catch a grasp of the background of the main Forum editors.

Thanks #10, General!

TheScrumScientist

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did you attend SBHS, just trying to catch a grasp of the background of the main Forum editors.

Thanks #10, General!
Hi there #10 General!

It seems you are new here. Just for starters. If that is you in the profile picture.

Thank you for your service.

Thank you for your sacrifices, for your valor, for protecting us, and for defending our rights. Thank you for your tremendous courage, strength and dedication to keeping us safe.

We are so lucky to have you here in the forum. Happy Scrumming

TSS.

TheBatman

Allen Oxlade (6)
To beat Joeys, you need to do this and a little bit of that with a sprinkle of this... - Bollocks

People seem to forget that footy is 70% mental and 30% skill

To beat Joeys you need to 'out-passion' them. They play with the most passion and heart. The way they claw themselves back into games and play like they're down 7 points every minute of the game (with the ability to play like that) against any opponent is why they look like the best team in the comp.

The only team I see that may out-passion them is View in 2 rounds time in front of 10,000+ at Leichhardt.

TheChuckler

Frank Row (1)
To beat Joeys, you need to do this and a little bit of that with a sprinkle of this... - Bollocks

People seem to forget that footy is 70% mental and 30% skill

To beat Joeys you need to 'out-passion' them. They play with the most passion and heart. The way they claw themselves back into games and play like they're down 7 points every minute of the game (with the ability to play like that) against any opponent is why they look like the best team in the comp.

The only team I see that may out-passion them is View in 2 rounds time in front of 10,000+ at Leichhardt.
Couldn't agree more Batman. View have shown their passion in some very tight fixtures in recent games - will be a belter of a match up if they can muscle up and prepare for what is a very physical Joeys side. Hopefully a few players have returned by then and they can have as close to a full strength side as possible.

letsruck

Allen Oxlade (6)
It will be interesting to watch Di Staso because he’s been a forward for so long. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t familiar with a lot of the backs plays. Gonna be a great game regardless.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Joeys vs Riverview Rugby match at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday 6 August 2022.

YOU NEED TO BOOK TICKETS
I would encourage you to acquire your free tickets as soon as possible to avoid missing out if the venue reaches capacity.

https://events.humanitix.com/generaladmission

image001.jpg

The.General

Banned
Hi there #10 General!

It seems you are new here. Just for starters. If that is you in the profile picture.

Thank you for your service.

Thank you for your sacrifices, for your valor, for protecting us, and for defending our rights. Thank you for your tremendous courage, strength and dedication to keeping us safe.

We are so lucky to have you here in the forum. Happy Scrumming

TSS.
Stop Stuffing around mate, get a good sleep for school tomorrow!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

I reckon Sam Miranda ran the 100m division and competed in shot put in 88. He was a 1st XV front rower, I can’t imagine many have ever ticked those 3 boxes. Is my memory faulty?

The.General

Banned
Hope everyone is having a lovely evening,

Joeys vs Scots should be a cracker.
Newington have lots of injuries this week which makes me lead towards kings...
I think shore will be hungry, with nothing to lose as they are out of contention. I think they could cause an upset.
Thoughts?
I think Shore are very much on the cards, an upset could be brewing out at Northbridge this weekend. After their close and unlucky loss to Kings, I think they will come out firing and put up a great fight against Riverview. Should be a great game that I wish I could attend, however I will be attending the Scots vs Joeys game over in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.