• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth-teller

Bob McCowan (2)
My predictions this week across all grades:

1st XV:

Joeys vs Kings
Joeys will triumph over Kings comfortably at home. Final games for the year 12s will mean they will be extra fired up and the opportunity to become champions will increase their aspirations to dominate Kings.
Joeys 36 Kings 10
Scots vs Shore
Shore will defeat Scots at BH. Shore are in good spirits and are looking to top off a successful season over the under achieving Scots outfit.
Scots 17 Shore 28
Newington vs Riverview
Newington will rise in front of their old boys on old boy day and conquer Riverview. This Newington team will be looking to finish second place on the ladder and they will rise in front of a home crowd.
Newington 30 Riverview 15

2nd XV:
Joeys vs Kings
Prediction : Joeys defeat Kings 34-10
Scots vs Shore
Prediction : Shore upset Scots 24-21
Newington vs Riverview
Prediction : Riverview beat Newington 29-17

3rd XV:
Joeys vs Kings
Prediction : Joeys pump Kings 28-5
Scots vs Shore
Prediction : Shore defeat Scots 29-22
Riverview vs The Armidale School
Prediction : TAS upset Riverview 21-19
Grammar vs High
Prediction : Grammar defeat High 54-5
I'm sorry but you're pretty delusional if you think that the Joeys 2nd's are going to beat King's that comfortably. King's seconds have shown to be the best team in the comp by quite a distance and to think that Joey's seconds will not only beat them but PUMP them is just simply biased and ignorant.

Regards

TT

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
Barker would beat Joeys again by a try or two.

Barker missed their NSW #2, Oniti Finau (2021 NSW gen blue #3), their #6, and new #15. All of Joeys "star players" (except for #15) are evenly or better matched by Barker counterparts, which is why I think Barker would win even if kids like Fowler improved exponentially over the season

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
They beat us by a few points without their #10 and 2 or 3 NSW players. So I think a full strength Barker would beat a full strength Joeys by 7 to 15, and us by 20

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm sorry but you're pretty delusional if you think that the Joeys 2nd's are going to beat King's that comfortably. King's seconds have shown to be the best team in the comp by quite a distance and to think that Joey's seconds will not only beat them but PUMP them is just simply biased and ignorant.

Regards

TT
Agree.

I’d go as far as saying this is the most interesting game of the weekend in my opinion.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
It is true that the joeys 5/8 was taken out legitimately in a heavy tackle pretty early in the first half. He was also playing poorly.
It is true that Barker were clearly the better side and the final score was a fair reflection of the game. Joeys lost their composure that game badly.
The Barker 10 did not impress me that much that day. the 13 was awesome.
At that time I made comment that Joeys were no certainty to win the comp. they played loose hi risk footy, had issues coming out of their 22 and had issues in defense. They had points in them but would give other teams a chance

Fast forward and they have become far more measured and fowler and hwi off the back of a very very hard working pack are the reason. Fowlers ability is really something to watch. beautiful hands and timing.

So, while we will never know because they wont play, I think that Barker played their hearts out that day, It meant a huge amount to them, but the team they played was not the team that has played the last 4 weeks. Would have been a great game.
you also have to take into consideration the mentality of the two sides going into that game .. one team was going into the game treating it clearly as a Trial … The other, like it was the rugby World Cup final … You can see evidence of this attitude clearly with some recent posts in this thread.

Last edited:

UpnUnder

Allen Oxlade (6)
They beat us by a few points without their #10 and 2 or 3 NSW players. So I think a full strength Barker would beat a full strength Joeys by 7 to 15, and us by 20
If you want to apply this logic, then, Joeys beat Knox fairly easily playing the cavalier style they played against Barker (without Fowler or Sharples). Knox had a narrow loss to Barker. Ergo, Joeys would smash Barker. A bit like the way they smashed View last Saturday.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Unfortunately in this case you're wrong. Have watched Katoa since he was 10 and trust me he's just as dangerous either side of the field in rugby. Not comparing who's better but just clarifying he can easily handle an opportunity wherever it is
I’ll blame Barker’s film crew. They must always be on the same side of the field!

I saw the best of Barker without Katoa in the GPS v CAS when they were all fit. Two tries to Barrett from no.1 who absolutely tore their front row apart in the scrums and in general play to the point they they took him off and gave him a blues guernsey with 10 minutes to go. The GPS backs led by Lahey & Jorgensen toyed with them all afternoon. Lahey was incredible, straightening the attack and almost always beating the first defender often 2 or 3.

I think the rep games were a god send to Joeys, they got Fowler game time, Barrett has scored every game since, Leahy grew immeasurably in confidence and Jorgensen showed the class and a toughness that few probably recognised amongst his incredibly quick feet and smart brain.

Barker got them fair and square in the trial, but I’ll hold to my original point that this Joeys team is without question the most improved schoolboy team in NSW and that a rematch with both teams fully fit would see a very different game some 6 weeks later.
Like in every sport you’d like to see the best teams playing one another at their peak, especially when they are as dominant as these two are this year. For now it’s just speculation and Barker can enjoy the bragging rights.

I’d also like to know who the Ironman are for each of the First XV’s, those players that have played in every possible game from school to representatives. That would be interesting. Any ideas?

Albi

Allen Oxlade (6)
I’ll blame Barker’s film crew. They must always be on the same side of the field!

I saw the best of Barker without Katoa in the GPS v CAS when they were all fit. Two tries to Barrett from no.1 who absolutely tore their front row apart in the scrums and in general play to the point they they took him off and gave him a blues guernsey with 10 minutes to go. The GPS backs led by Lahey & Jorgensen toyed with them all afternoon. Lahey was incredible, straightening the attack and almost always beating the first defender often 2 or 3.

I think the rep games were a god send to Joeys, they got Fowler game time, Barrett has scored every game since, Leahy grew immeasurably in confidence and Jorgensen showed the class and a toughness that few probably recognised amongst his incredibly quick feet and smart brain.

Barker got them fair and square in the trial, but I’ll hold to my original point that this Joeys team is without question the most improved schoolboy team in NSW and that a rematch with both teams fully fit would see a very different game some 6 weeks later.
Like in every sport you’d like to see the best teams playing one another at their peak, especially when they are as dominant as these two are this year. For now it’s just speculation and Barker can enjoy the bragging rights.

I’d also like to know who the Ironman are for each of the First XV’s, those players that have played in every possible game from school to representatives. That would be interesting. Any ideas?
Joeys, Knox AND Barker all improved through the season. I would argue that Knox improved the most because they started average. ‘Trials are trials’. A game between any of these 3 teams would be interesting now. Bear in mind though, that there was plenty of passion in the J v I and B v K games because they were like GFs for their respects associations. I don’t think crossing associations would have the same passion-it would be just interesting,

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
If you want to apply this logic, then, Joeys beat Knox fairly easily playing the cavalier style they played against Barker (without Fowler or Sharples). Knox had a narrow loss to Barker. Ergo, Joeys would smash Barker. A bit like the way they smashed View last Saturday.
The only logic that you can apply is that the last 5 years have shown that on any Saturday 3 of the 6 CAS sides and 5 of the 9 GPS sides can, and do, beat each other regularly. (And with the recent resurgence of shore that may be 6 if the next few years follow the same trajectory)

in your example above, Knox beat Riverview very convincingly 33-24 with 2 Riverview consolation try’s in the dying minutes to make that score respectable. knox then went to joeys without their winger who equaled the CAS try scoring record this year. They lost their captain, aus under 20 rep and best player in the first 60 seconds to a gaping head wound (completely accidental) who went to hospital for surgery and then lost their openside to a blue card 20 mins later… the score at this point was 12 all. Do I think Knox would have beaten joeys had those injuries not happened? No… a lot needs to go right at Hunters hill to get the chocolates and then you need to hold off the final surge that will always come. Max J and Barret were exceptional in this game.

For those on this site that have been around long enough, the home and away concept has been tried by both associations and it really wasn’t great. There’s a reason that the 6 nations is one of the most watched and attended sporting competitions in the world that’s the finite nature and “one chance of glory” that it provides… having had many nephews go through both joeys and view I can even remember the crowds to those games being diminished as a result… not as stark as some of the other schools that didn’t travel to away games but it definitely has a different feel to the game of the year feeling that it does now.

I think each association should absolutely preserve and protect their own competition given the rich history but I’m not sure home and away is the answer long term

love2lineout

Stan Wickham (3)
shore's stone head 3rd xv #8 oli 'bulldozer' fergus had a viscous head clash from friendly fire at training yesterday and his game status is listed as 'questionable'. However the brutal head knock did not come from another player, it came from another hard head the coach! During team runs allegedly poor tackling form from coach lead to the clash, but the coach came out on top, thank god no serious injuries!

L2L

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
you also have to take into consideration the mentality of the two sides going into that game .. one team was going into the game treating it clearly as a Trial … The other, like it was the rugby World Cup final … You can see evidence of this attitude clearly with some recent posts in this thread.
Barker took penalty kicks. Indicating they were playing for keeps. Joeys turned down gettable kicks indicating trial attitude

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I think each association should absolutely preserve and protect their own competition given the rich history but I’m not sure home and away is the answer long term
Home and away robbed us of these conversations. Preseason saw a couple game against each other and then straight into it. The “occasion” element was taken away. I love the fact that I get to schools at least once a year with trials then round games. But as well I enjoy visiting our CAS cousins and enjoying their hospitality. It is good for each community.

while we are on who is better based on improvement. In 2018 Joeys LOST to trinity in the first game for them that season. Trinity were viewing this as their chance to create history and played as such. Joeys were at the start of their prolonged tinkering phase which now seems to be the norm. (Find a recipe that works and stick with it). Joeys went in to share the title with the cattlemen of Parramatta that season. Does this win very early in a season make Trinity a better team for that year? Barker took their chance and were better on the day against an “untuned” Joeys still finding the right mix. Barker were set and deservedly won the match. How would they go now against a tuned up machine firing on all cylinders? I would love to know.

Chip and Chase

Frank Row (1)
Old Riverview boy here, as an old member of the 4ths i just want to say this toxicity is not needed. Lachie (Kennard) Clift and Hugh Crookes are now in the 4ths at shore with Henry Douglas Menzies as Skipper. Benny Howie and Jackson (PLC) Bowers will be the tee boy, coming on in the last 5 minutes to run rings around the opponents.
Regards
Old Riverview boy
That is all very cool but I don't see how that has any relevance to Shore 4ths claiming an undefeated season when they only managed to beat Joey's 5ths by 1 try. I think if Shore 4s played the undefeated Joeys 4ths the scoreline could of been very ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.