• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe youse are right but I still firmly believe Barker would beat Joeys even with an away fixture as they already did by 30-10. Perhaps this time it will be a much closer encounter. Also, you play to win regardless if the fixture is a trial or non-trial game. You don't rock up against a team like Barker -- arguably one of the strongest sides in NSW the last couple of years -- with a "trial" attitude. You show up to win going into the season. Even if you argue that Joeys #10 was out for 2/3 of the game and the whole side has improved a lot, Barker had FIVE NSW players OUT and it was an AWAY game at hh. So, my point is that if the current Joeys and Barker side battled it out at Barker, Barker would probs win by the same margin

highly unlikely

you might want to consider how a Joeys-heavy GPS 1sts thrashed a Barker-heavy CAS 1sts by 43-14, with Joeys players scoring 5 of the 7 tries and 33 of the 43 points.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yeah seeing the Wallabies win their friendlies against the French last year or losing them to the English this year - clearly nothing riding on the outcome so who cares right? They're just trial games for the World Cup.

;)

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
@ItsNotPink thanks for your 3rd XV summaries through the season. I haven't seen Kings play this year but I thought Riverview were the most impressive team in the comp as they looked more cohesive with the ball. Shore had a tough day at lineout last week - it felt like they lost almost every lineout. It's hard to get any momentum when that happens.
Thanks E&E,

No doubt Riverview were impressive last week and they are also the only team to beat Kings this year so they deserve their spot at the top of the table. I have watched Kings in several games and they have a really good side. It will be a great match at Hunters Hill on Saturday. Shore will be kicking themselves for losing 5-3 to Joeys at Northbridge, but it was a very determined performance from the Cerise & Blue that day with two yellow cards! Shore are also the only team to have beaten Riverview, so they were not too far away this year...

INP

Goosestep

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yeah seeing the Wallabies win their friendlies against the French last year or losing them to the English this year - clearly nothing riding on the outcome so who cares right? They're just trial games for the World Cup.

;)
That’s a test match champ ;)… not the same thing …
a better example would be the Waratahs playing a trial game on the central coast in January

but cute you hold trials games in such reverence

Last edited:

BringTheBiff

Frank Nicholson (4)
@ItsNotPink thanks for your 3rd XV summaries through the season. I haven't seen Kings play this year but I thought Riverview were the most impressive team in the comp as they looked more cohesive with the ball. Shore had a tough day at lineout last week - it felt like they lost almost every lineout. It's hard to get any momentum when that happens.
Didn't get to see the game, heard they subbed off the hooker after the first half which may have had something to do with it not too sure though. Were they better in the first or 2nd half?

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Look all you have to do is look at the reaction to winning a trial game … that tells you everything … I don’t think I have ever, EVER .. seen joeys (or GPS schools in general) fans, supporters, players and parents GLOAT about winning a TRIAL game on the day let alone weeks later .. I have literally never seen this … Because they know that the Comp is the Only thing that matters .. They wear different uniforms in the Comp, sing different war crys etc … It’s the main event ..

Now I can’t say the same thing about some of other association’s supports on here, whom seem to have a unhealthy obsession about winning a friendly, warm up game .. this evidence is clear to see on this forum, as they are going on about it months later, even though it’s the last week of the premiership ..

Can you imagine NRL fans obsessing about a trial game in September ? .. lol no.. what a joke
G,

I am not gloating about anything, I am just stating logical points, none of which you have addressed, other than bring up new war cries and uniforms. Everyone is trying in these games, call them trial games or whatever suits, but having watched lots of them, it is very clear that both sides are serious, no 1stXV side doesn't really care in any game.

The word "friendly" shouldn't be used either, they are not, that's a round ball term!

The real discussion here (bigger picture) is about the best way to develop our game, via a really robust schools tiered comp that extends beyond mini 6 team comps, the minimizing of future player losses, and safety, and strengthening our game which hopefully bleeds into the senior rugby forum.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't get to see the game, heard they subbed off the hooker after the first half which may have had something to do with it not too sure though. Were they better in the first or 2nd half?
Neither - they just kept giving Grammar the ball back. It was a comprehensive win for Grammar with Shore only scoring a consolation try near full time.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
That’s a test match champ ;)… not the same thing …
a better example would be the Waratahs playing a trial game on the central coast in January

but cute you hold trials games in such reverence
So just to confirm there’s 3-4 trials (some internal some external holiday games) followed by another 6 trials (as you put it) in which only one association take seriously for 5 of those games whist the other association doesn’t take seriously or include their best players… then 30 minutes after the next game of rugby the GPS and CAS rep teams are announced? How unfortunate for those gun players that aren’t playing firsts during that time… and those directors of rugby that still have no clue what their best side could possibly look like… yet the other association teams who work on the exact same calendar (hence why they aligned athletics) play their strongest teams, know who they are, want to win and have peaked

It’s must be the only rugby association in the world that has 10 meaningless games prior to 5 games that have relevance with a rep program done and dusted after the first relevant game.

All sounds ridiculous doesn’t it? So maybe the reality is both associations prepare their players in the same way with strong pre season programs before a ball has even been kicked and an established pecking order of players who have come up through the As programs and have rep pedigree.

they’ve all beaten each other on multiple occasions over the years… you can only win or lose the games you play… you can’t win imaginary games that don’t exist… everyone wants to be an undefeated rugby team.

even if there was a playoff game at the end of the season there would be excuses from the losing side due to injury or “they took the foot off the gas because they won the comp that matters” etc.

there’s no difference between preparation, availability or desire in either association … the only difference is the result and you can flip a coin on any given Saturday… that’s what makes it good

RuckitRory

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks E&E,

No doubt Riverview were impressive last week and they are also the only team to beat Kings this year so they deserve their spot at the top of the table. I have watched Kings in several games and they have a really good side. It will be a great match at Hunters Hill on Saturday. Shore will be kicking themselves for losing 5-3 to Joeys at Northbridge, but it was a very determined performance from the Cerise & Blue that day with two yellow cards! Shore are also the only team to have beaten Riverview, so they were not too far away this year...

INP
INP, great summaries all year round. No doubt I looked forward to reading them every week.

Shore can only have themselves to blame this season I reckon. A good way to label it would be what could have been. They had some great wins, such as Riverview in which they won in the final minutes with a penalty goal. It would have been a completely different story if they won at Northbridge against Joeys a few weeks ago.

Cameronsmith1

Frank Row (1)
Maybe youse are right but I still firmly believe Barker would beat Joeys even with an away fixture as they already did by 30-10. Perhaps this time it will be a much closer encounter. Also, you play to win regardless if the fixture is a trial or non-trial game. You don't rock up against a team like Barker -- arguably one of the strongest sides in NSW the last couple of years -- with a "trial" attitude. You show up to win going into the season. Even if you argue that Joeys #10 was out for 2/3 of the game and the whole side has improved a lot, Barker had FIVE NSW players OUT and it was an AWAY game at hh. So, my point is that if the current Joeys and Barker side battled it out at Barker, Barker would probs win by the same margin
100 percent.

Props are People too

Chris McKivat (8)
Why can’t Australia get it together to have a national schools cup? The UK do it with the RFU Schools Cup and the Kiwis do it - both with far more rugby playing schools. The winner could go to the Sanix comp in Japan to compete against the world’s best.

It’s crazy with rugby rapidity losing ground across Aus that the areas where it is strong - eg AAGPS - are getting more insular. We should be expanding the comps, not narrowing them.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry all. No weekend preview yet. Having major issue with computer. Trying to do this on my phone would short change you all. Maybe late Friday.

I am still taking tips!!

60A72EC0-536B-46B2-B550-1ACB7FB1906C.jpeg

Goosestep

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ok I'll put it another way then....

"I'd be happy to lose every trial game as long as we do well in the comp" said no self respecting Rugby player - ever
Obviously your comp doesn’t mean that much then…

Cause I guarantee you, any decent athletes worth his weight wants to win the big events over the ones that mean nothing

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
highly unlikely

you might want to consider how a Joeys-heavy GPS 1sts thrashed a Barker-heavy CAS 1sts by 43-14, with Joeys players scoring 5 of the 7 tries and 33 of the 43 points.
The point you are making is very invalid. You're being hypothetical. Reality renders Barker has cleaned up JOEYS by 20 points with a THIRD (All NSW players) of their team out !!

Last edited:

view2k22prems

Stan Wickham (3)
The best side in NSW is barker followed by Joeys in 2022. The best side in NSW in 2021 was Waverley followed by Riverview. Should not be a debate imho for both cases.

Mrbeast

Frank Row (1)
Does anybody think that strong 16s teams like Newington, Riverview, and shore could take on higher teams like the 2nd XV from other schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.