• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backintheolddays

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With the debate around GPS team ramping up I thought Kings 9 was exceptional today. Obviously a lot of front foot ball helps but his decision making, kicking and defence are exceptional. Still takes a step at times when passing but not the worst sin out there.

AAGPSSUPPORTER

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thoughts on Scots season so far. A come from behind draw with Joeys, a loss to View, a sluggish win against Shore and a comprehensive loss to Kings.

Backintheolddays

Jimmy Flynn (14)
kings vs Scot’s

I would like say kings were perfect, did take the foot off the pedal for first part of 2nd half. Amazing game though. Boston unlucky to receive a red card and I doubt he’ll miss any games after I watched the clutch footage I’d say a yellow would have been a better call.

Scot’s just couldn’t offer much against kings in all honesty, in the 2nds the number 10 Ben was outstanding and I think will cement his spot in pres 1s next week against competition jonty.
I’m a fan of the Kings seconds 10 but didn’t think today his strongest game. For the possession and territory we struggled to unlock the defence and while I love a running 5/8 he took it into contact too much when better options available and he ain’t that big.

Backintheolddays

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thoughts on Scots season so far. A come from behind draw with Joeys, a loss to View, a sluggish win against Shore and a comprehensive loss to Kings.
Key injuries and limited depth, particularly in forwards have hurt. While you’ll never diminish the jersey would not be surprised to see some new faces before season end to prep for next year where on paper they have half a dozen game breakers and should be favourites.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Now on to a tough subject, how can you leave the kings 9 out of ur gps 1s side?

we all know hiwi has the name and in the past he’s been great. But based off form smith right now is playing a lot better and more consistent footy which I think needs to be rewarded. If we’re not picking off a name and picking on current form (which we should be) smith has to be in the team.

I think realistically though will see smith be the 2s half.

AAGPSSUPPORTER

Frank Nicholson (4)

we all know hiwi has the name and in the past he’s been great. But based off form smith right now is playing a lot better and more consistent footy which I think needs to be rewarded. If we’re not picking off a name and picking on current form (which we should be) smith has to be in the team.

Agree, easily form 9 in the competition.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I’m a fan of the Kings seconds 10 but didn’t think today his strongest game. For the possession and territory we struggled to unlock the defence and while I love a running 5/8 he took it into contact too much when better options available and he ain’t that big.
You’ve nailed the reason for his success to date and the reason for his downfall in the future. As a 10 he overplays his hand, looks great in age group teams when he can run freely but found out when defenders work him out.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

We can watch the head to head on Thursday.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
I watch the 2nd half of Shore vs New on Cluch. 26 to blot at oranges. Shore scored early in the half and then it was a solid battle for the rest of the game until New scored with a couple to go.
Unfortunately Shore looked like boys playing against men. The New pack monstered Shore and kept them back pedaling.
I think the Shore fullback came off injured late but someone might confirm that?

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
3rd XV - Round 2 Report
Well, Round 2 is done and we have two undefeated teams leading the competition - Grammar and Scots. Riverview, Shore, Kings, Joeys and TAS have a single win, with just High waiting to open their account. Round 3 is after the long weekend on 17 June.

Grammar 18 d Riverview 15
A terrific top of the table clash at Leichhardt Oval that saw Grammar retain their unbeaten run after edging Joeys by a single point last week. This was a great performance against a capable Riverview side where Grammar led the whole game and handled the Riverview comeback late in the second half. Grammar shot to an early 8-0 lead before Riverview scored an excellent winger's try to close the gap. A pick & drive off a lineout saw Grammar go to the break in front 13-5. Grammar opened the second half with another great backline try to lead 18-5 and it looked to be all done. But Riverview came back in the 40th minute with a brilliant try from their half back. The conversion was charged down and the score remained 18-10. Then right on full time Riverview scored another try in the corner and that was the final score with Grammar winning 18-15. It was three tries each with only kicking the difference. Grammar next play TAS away in Armidale while Riverview play High at McKay.

Joeys 8 d Shore 7
Coming off their one-point loss to Grammar last week at Rushcutters Bay, Joeys needed to win this match to stay in contention for the shield. The match was tight early with Joeys going to a 3-0 lead from a penalty in the 15th minute and it remained that score at the break. Two matching yellow cards were awarded early in the second half to a Joeys player and a Shore player who were exchanging opinions. Joeys scored the first try in the 40th minute to take an 8-0 lead. That looked like being the match, but Shore responded right on full time with an excellent backline break to finish 8-7. Joeys had most of the possession throughout the match but continued to make basic errors - too many knock-ons, wayward passes, cutouts that did not find the man and lost possession. Their rock solid defence won the day, but they will need to sharpen their attack for their Round 3 match against undefeated Scots. Shore are not out of it by any means, but they face Kings at home in Round 3 for what will be a crucial match for both teams.

Scots 60 d TAS 7
After their first-round victory over Kings, Scots continued the form with a big win over TAS at home. The match was not broadcast, but clearly Scots dominated, recording their second win from two rounds and remaining on top of the competition table with Grammar. TAS could be looking at a long season. They beat High early, but have had significant losses to Riverview and Scots in the last two weeks. Scots now face Joeys at Hunters Hill in a Round 3 clash after Joeys won the trial at Bellevue Hill a few weeks ago. This becomes a crucial fixture for both teams, as Joeys need to win to stay in touch with the competition leaders and Scots will want to remain undefeated. TAS host competition leaders Grammar at home and that will be a monumental task for them, given recent results.

Kings 41 d High 7
I thought that High might get a bit closer to Kings given their recent form, but this proved to be an easy win for the defending co-premiers at home. High have now had three losses (including their early match against TAS) but have scored good tries in each fixture. They have definitely improved from last year but are still facing tough opposition. Kings travel to Shore next round for another critical match with both teams on one win, while High host Riverview at Centennial Park which will be another tough game for them.

The 1st and 2nd comps are playing Round 5 before the Long Weekend on Thursday 8 June, but there is no 3rd XV round that day. Round 3 of the 3rd XV comp will be after the Long Weekend on 17 June.

Well done to all teams this week and enjoy the week break.

INP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.