• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

megarugbyman

Frank Nicholson (4)
Seeing the CAS forums discuss their predicted CAS first XV lineup,

Would anyone like to share their predicted GPS lineup?

TheRugbysmoker185

Allen Oxlade (6)
News out of North Sydney young 16A's hooker Max Garner will reserve for the 2nd XV with big Jai Peters sadly heading home for the long weekend. Big opportunity for the young bloke being the first in his team to play opens all year. Seems like Shore have produced some great hookers in recent years with James Warner and Garner following in his footsteps.
Thats great news, doubt he will get a run. In my opinion hes better than the current 2nd hooker. Wish him all the best if he does.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
If Joeys wins it will be a huge upset as well. Joeys has not been playing well as a unit. Scots came back at them hard towards the back end of the 1st game and that never happens against Joeys. Drew against what's proving to be a pretty weak Shore team and were beaten by New and View. Yes, the New game could have gone either way but last Saturday's game was a deserved victory to the View boys and even the most faithful of Cerise and Blue fans should acknowledge that View were better on the day. Facing Kings this Thursday, even though it's at the Holy Ground SJC1, Joeys will have to tackle themselves to the ground ( which they will do ) but stopping the Kings forward momentum and their speed and accuracy in the backs will be a monumental task. As a View supporter, I hope they pull off an upset and Mary shines down favourably on them, however my head says it will be a kings victory.
Question, if View were so dominant, why didn’t they win by more than 5? The difference came from a try when Joeys had 2 players on the ground requiring treatment. I’m not saying View didn’t deserve their win, in the end the scoreboard told the story. The reality is that this is the tightest comp in a long time. All of Joeys games could have gone either way, oh what might have been. Kings are the clear front runners and I’m looking forward to seeing them play this week, Mary might do us all a favour and grant Joeys some luck and a win, that’ll set up the return matches to be super spicy.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Question, if View were so dominant, why didn’t they win by more than 5? The difference came from a try when Joeys had 2 players on the ground requiring treatment. I’m not saying View didn’t deserve their win, in the end the scoreboard told the story. The reality is that this is the tightest comp in a long time. All of Joeys games could have gone either way, oh what might have been. Kings are the clear front runners and I’m looking forward to seeing them play this week, Mary might do us all a favour and grant Joeys some luck and a win, that’ll set up the return matches to be super spicy.
IMO View weren't dominant. They found a way to win a game that was going against them which is something good teams do. Pace of play was very stop start which suited Joeys. Field position would of been 75% in their own half mostly out of handling errors and Joeys set piece being on top. Possession would have been 60/40 to Joeys but the View boys just kept tackling and pounced when opportunity showed.

If Joeys can drag a game into a slower style of play its the only way to have a shot v Kings. I don't see how their Backline would be able to get into a shoot out of attacking play and stay close. Joeys have a good set piece so they should be able to retain all their own ball and at least match up to Kings in that facet. Frustrate them, play field position, take points any time they are on offer and then tackle, tackle, tackle and who knows you might get a 15/12 type score line or another draw which nobody would mind either.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Masked Crusader
Did I say that " View were so dominant" ? No. I did say they deserved to win yet some have said because of this and that View's win was tarnished. I don't accept that. You play the whistle and fortunately/unfortunately, correctly/incorrectly View capitalised and scored a try. Move on.
yes the comp is close, but Joeys have had chances of winning 3 games and have blown it. Last chance on Thursday !!

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
Masked Crusader
Did I say that " View were so dominant" ? No. I did say they deserved to win yet some have said because of this and that View's win was tarnished. I don't accept that. You play the whistle and fortunately/unfortunately, correctly/incorrectly View capitalised and scored a try. Move on.
yes the comp is close, but Joeys have had chances of winning 3 games and have blown it. Last chance on Thursday !!
Of course you play the whistle, I only raise the incident because it indicates that View were lucky rather than deserved winners. As they say, i’d rather be lucky than good. Joeys forwards had parity generally with View and dominance at the set piece. View backs were a lot better than Joeys in attack particularly wider out so Joeys defence must have been very good. It’s not good enough to lose the close ones, damn it! It sure is a close season.

Last edited:

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
If Joeys can drag a game into a slower style of play it’s the only way to have a shot v Kings. I don't see how their Backline would be able to get into a shoot out of attacking play and stay close. Joeys have a good set piece so they should be able to retain all their own ball and at least match up to Kings in that facet. Frustrate them, play field position, take points any time they are on offer and then tackle, tackle, tackle and who knows you might get a 15/12 type score line or another draw which nobody would mind either.
why would you want to slow the game down against kings, if anything you’d want to pick up the pace ?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok....we have only ONE result outstanding still, but in the meantime have a look at this....championship update as well!

BIG thank you as always to those who helped out

Rd 4 Results - interim#5.jpg

Rd 4 Table - interim #3.jpg

Rd 4 School Champs - interim #3.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
why would you want to slow the game down against kings, if anything you’d want to pick up the pace ?
I’d agree if they had the backline to do that but I don’t think they can go punch for lunch with them. I think Joeys have the set piece to hold their own with the Kings pack as opposed to View who I think it’s obvious they should want to run you around.

Just my thoughts on it. I’m sure as shit not a coach though.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
"View were lucky rather than deserved winners"

Spoken like a person who can't accept losing to a better team on the day.
Joeys had plenty of chances and as The Ghost said, Joeys had field position and most possesion yet your observation was that View were lucky.
If and hopefully when View beat Kings in Rd2, I would like you to retract your statement as most champion teams, and I would dare Joeys teams as well, are deserved winners rather than lucky ones.

Whataflanker

Stan Wickham (3)
It is.

My wife is a fully qualified Tier 1/2 senior referee who works in the Sydney West Division and she has done many school games up to the seniors level in Kentwell Cup (some colts for West Harbour) . I spoke with her and we watched the play in question numerous times before I asked what she would do in that situation.

To begin there is much debate over the stoppage of the game. The issue seems to be what weight is placed on player welfare in rugby. In the post-school matches there is a considerably less amount of weight placed on player welfare and play is allowed to move on if there is no perceieved danger to the player at that time. In Under 19's player welfare is considerably higher. The decision to stop play is up to the ref's on field decision making.

So lets review my wife's thinking on this event.

Was there a clear head clash? YES
Were there player(s) on the ground dealing with the head clash? YES
Were these players able to protect themselves from ongoing play? small yes. Unsure as both were showing signs of moving and sitting.
Were they located near active play(s) and in danger of more physical harm? YES. Play moved towards them and play ran through them.
Should play have been halted (Under 19 consideration) to deal with the welfare of the two players? YES

Why is was not stopped comes down to the referee decision. My wife knows this referee and has high praise for him in his ability to control grade games in Shute and Kentwell cup matches. (Couple of clangers but this happens) She believes that when a Tier 1 referee comes to the Under 19 laws they often forget that player welfare is paramount in this age then in the adult world.

Hope this helps
Any truth that one of the players who required attention from the head clash was allowed to go straight back on?

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Any truth that one of the players who required attention from the head clash was allowed to go straight back on?
Both went down with head wounds after the head clash. One came off concussed and now not playing for a while, the other had head wound treated and cleared by the doctor to return to the field. All protocols passed and playing this week for that one. Your point is?

Status
Not open for further replies.