• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumbiesrugby

Trevor Allan (34)
I was speaking to the head of Co-Curriculum at Riverview yesterday and he said that Riverview has not organised any buses to the game. Only a handful of year 12 students who have a study period in period six are allowed to sign out and go, making their own way to Northbridge. However, boys who wish to proceed to Northbridge after the school day will have to do so when the bell rings at 3:30 pm and do so by finding their own transport. He also mentioned that there are no buses for the boarders either.
That's terrible.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Dusk,
I'm Neutral. Agree. Seemed Ref gave Scots a bit of a leg up in the last 20min but why were New kicking possession away when 1 try down, plenty of time left and straight to Scots 15. Very risky and cost them the try to Scost 13. No Ref calls, just dumb footy. I recall New won this fixture last year at the end by kicking smart to the lines, keeping possession and running the ball. Did not happen today yet they have the players. Need to play smarter.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Dusk,
I'm Neutral. Agree. Seemed Ref gave Scots a bit of a leg up in the last 20min but why were New kicking possession away when 1 try down, plenty of time left and straight to Scots 15. Very risky and cost them the try to Scost 13. No Ref calls, just dumb footy. I recall New won this fixture last year at the end by kicking smart to the lines, keeping possession and running the ball. Did not happen today yet they have the players. Need to play smarter.
No idea why they were kicking away possession. To be fair, i dont think Scots or Newington had more then 3 phases of play before a penalty was awarded, maybe that's why they kicked but it didn't look like they were aiming for 50-22's either.

Side note, if Newington want to beat teams (especially at away games) there needs to be a bigger crowd. It is seriously pathetic how little of a supporter base there is, and it's selfish towards the players.

kentwellcupchamp87

Stan Wickham (3)
Riverview vs Shore 1XV:

Riverview played the worst footy they have played this year, and the players would agree as well. All credit to shore for a great win but I can’t help but wonder what the ref was doing at some points.

I also wonder if Riverview allowed students to come watch what the difference would be. Seems as though it made a major difference.

in the end though, Shore defended well at the death and stopped view from scoring.

Anyone have a closer view on if Views 10 scored at the end, I certainly thought it was down? Not sure though.

Pretty sloppy game of footy from both sides in the end but shore coming out with a much needed win.
There were some camera people behind the try line and they seemed to have been right there for it. I’m sure that video will be released soon enough and we’ll get a proper answer. Although even on cluch it looks like the view 10 scored, he was the first on the ground so I’m not sure how he wouldn't of put the ball down.

putitthroughthehands

Herbert Moran (7)
That's terrible.
I agree. For a school that is having a very great season and is proud of its rugby program, I would've thought that those in head positions like the 'Deputy of Students' would take a look from the student's perspective and have some common sense. Riverview has had a crowd of over 500 at every game this season, why suddenly not look to support all the pride and camaraderie the boys were displaying? I believe that the argument laid upon the fact that academics come first however every student was definitely watching the games on their laptop during class anyways. Very very poor from Riverview and their head staff.
I hope this is a wake-up call for them.

Last edited:

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys 9 has some great skills but a tendency to overplay his hand: needless little chips in behind or cross-field to give away possession when in good attacking position. Panicky off-load in last 5 mins to give up TKS intercept try when he should've gone to ground.

Joeys had tonnes of ball, forwards made good metres up the middle one & two off the ruck, consistently over the gain line, often 20-30 metres upfield through the phases only for it to break down out wide with poor passing & lack of penetration in the backs, though this also reflected some excellent defence in the backs by TKS.

Kings the far more composed side. Had less possession & territory but just kept making their tackles, hitting their rucks - their counter-ruck was excellent - clearing their line and making far fewer basic errors. Just smarter football. Well coached & well drilled.

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
View lost to a better team. View were their own enemy. Dropped ball, ill disciplined, poor tackling and tactically out smarted and did not play their own game which has served them well. Yes, I believe they had a lag from last week but that should not happen from a champion team and unfortunately, this is not one. Shore played their game, simple yet effective and played the ref well ( you can do that !!). Congrats Shore !

New were very dumb. kicked too often and straight to the 15 who was the most dangerous player on the field. Why kick to him ? Dumb tactics
( coaches or players ?). Blew their chance to go second with View losing and can't see them recovering to challenge for the title. Scots played well enough to win with some good phases yet their backline still needs work. Individual brilliance got them over the line.

Kings are the leaders going into Rd 2 and champion teams win when they don't play well and play tough towin away at Joeys. Well done and they have 1 hand on the trophy. Joeys played with lots of heart, probably played their toughest today yet came second. No luck, just not good enough.

Can't see Kings being beaten ( obvious thing to say ) but they are a complete team with smart coaches and smart players ib key positions.

Refs are Refs. You play what's in front, cop the bad calls and turn things around.

Wolverine

Stan Wickham (3)
Also last post before I probs get banned. But can someone explain when the 7 for view got carded why didn’t the penalty take place where it happen? Why did it got moved forward to where last play was.
Cos that's always been the rule. Its where the ball landed at the time of the infraction. On a broader note, not that I was close to the action, but I didn't see anything too controversial from the Ref. Had a sense of foreboding when turned up ( to see a mate's son play for Shore). Shore cheering was on fire and you could tell Shore were up for it. Equally it seemed even early on it was going to be "one of those days" a team has. View just looked off. It certainly played out that way. Wasn't helped by the failure to convert any goals by Riverview. Yes, Riverview coulda, shoulda and woulda, but they didn't because Shore put in a great defensive effort when it counted. No complaints from an Iggies supporter here. The one that got away.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Screenshot_20230608-174648.png

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Riverview vs Shore 1XV:

Riverview played the worst footy they have played this year, and the players would agree as well. All credit to shore for a great win but I can’t help but wonder what the ref was doing at some points.

I also wonder if Riverview allowed students to come watch what the difference would be. Seems as though it made a major difference.

in the end though, Shore defended well at the death and stopped view from scoring.

Anyone have a closer view on if Views 10 scored at the end, I certainly thought it was down? Not sure though.

Pretty sloppy game of footy from both sides in the end but shore coming out with a much needed win.
Yeah Shore had a much bigger crowd there this afternoon

Last edited:

BoysfromtheBxW

Peter Burge (5)
Hearing out of the Shore Camp that they are potentially putting Tom Klem to 10 and ben whatley to fullback, massive change if this happens.
The Smoker
Seemed like that was the deal for Defence unsure of that tactic as Shore 10 didn’t defend terribly well at the back and 15 seems to have been shores best defender for a few years now.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
View lost to a better team. View were their own enemy. Dropped ball, ill disciplined, poor tackling and tactically out smarted and did not play their own game which has served them well. Yes, I believe they had a lag from last week but that should not happen from a champion team and unfortunately, this is not one. Shore played their game, simple yet effective and played the ref well ( you can do that !!). Congrats Shore !

New were very dumb. kicked too often and straight to the 15 who was the most dangerous player on the field. Why kick to him ? Dumb tactics
( coaches or players ?). Blew their chance to go second with View losing and can't see them recovering to challenge for the title. Scots played well enough to win with some good phases yet their backline still needs work. Individual brilliance got them over the line.

Kings are the leaders going into Rd 2 and champion teams win when they don't play well and play tough towin away at Joeys. Well done and they have 1 hand on the trophy. Joeys played with lots of heart, probably played their toughest today yet came second. No luck, just not good enough.

Can't see Kings being beaten ( obvious thing to say ) but they are a complete team with smart coaches and smart players ib key positions.

Refs are Refs. You play what's in front, cop the bad calls and turn things around.
You’re bang on about refs tbh. Still just bothers you when it doesn’t go your way. (A lot innocent people in prison)

View have nobody to blame but themselves. You can’t give up leads like they did to a team playing well with no quit in them.

I’ll say it again. How good 2 rounds. Get to redeem yourself if your good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.