• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Are you a moderator?
No just a Consigliere

111917527-249138da-797b-4110-9e94-bd73c32809f0.jpg

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fresh from signing Joseph Sua'ali'i, Australian rugby has got another one over the NRL after signing schoolboy sensation Hadley Tonga.

The 17-year-old, who is in Year 12 at The King’s School, turned down advances from Eels and Dolphins in the NRL to sign a three-year deal with the Australian Sevens program that will also allow him to integrate into the Waratahs in his third year.

By that point, Tonga, who last year ran the 100m in a blistering time of 10.84 seconds in the rain, could be lining up a backline alongside Sua'ali'i, Max Jorgensen and Mark Nawaqanitawase.

While News Corp reported Rugby Australia offered $800,000 to try and lure former Australian Schoolboys star Tolu Koula to leave the Manly Sea Eagles, Tonga’s signing shows you don’t have to break the bank to succeed. You just can’t be slow off the mark.

Sources close to the situation believe Tonga could prove to be better than Sua'ali'i, who, contrary to reports, was offered a four-year deal once he finished his studies by Rugby Australia in 2018. The deal was tabled by former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and national contracting manager Nick Taylor, where he met Michael Hooper and Israel Folau.

Tonga is nowhere near as tall as Sua'ali'i, but rugby insiders believe he is a Marika Koroibete in the making.

Outside of Jorgensen, Tonga was the highest regarded Australian Schoolboy in 2022

The outside back, who featured for Australia’s under-18s sevens side in Fiji recently, would have played for the national team in the Hamilton and Sydney Sevens tournaments had he not picked up an ankle injury.

It’s believed former Wallaby and national performance manager Scott Bowen was instrumental in identifying Tonga’a talents.

Tonga could prove to be one of the missing pieces for Australia’s men’s sevens team. Light on his feet but strong in contact, he has carved up schoolboy rugby for years.

While rising teenage star Darby Lancaster has given John Manenti’s side an edge out wide, Tonga will give Australia another speed weapon.
Had a great game against joeys last year

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
Newington have put a lot of emphasis on fitness/conditioning this year ( Wand sand dunes etc ). Can't come soon enough. 10 round comp will be survival of the fitest. Joeys are always fit. Not sure about Scots/Kings. They seem to favour strength. View and Shore do their best. McLean junior from New as GPS 1sts C./Wing. Will be interesting to see how many/if any of the star studded but young Scots backs make GPS teams. View won't have too many unfortunately.
Don’t forget about Liam grover

BRYDNLM_0184

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gps 1st xv

1. Bailey Park Kings
2. Will Guilfoyle Scots
3. Tuini Jorgensen Newington
4. Billy Hansen Scots
5. Arther Greer Joeys
6. Benji Noble Riverview
7. Austin Durbridge Kings (captain)
8. Toby Brial Scots
9. Hwi Sharples Joeys (vice captain)
10. Henry James Scots
11. Hadley Tonga Kings
12. Tyrese Lokeni Kings
13. Liam Grover Riverivew
14. Baxter Warner Newington
15. Oscar Jorgenson Joeys

Gps 2nd xv

1. Hamish Grover Riverview
2. James Warner Shore
3. Nathanial Titi Kings
4. James Mcreerey Shore
5. Tom Galligan Shore
6. Luca Cleverley Newington
7. Marshall Lemaitre Shore
8. Liam Sullivan Riverview
9. Hugo Oprin Shore (vice captain)
10. Joe Dillon Riverview
11. Casey Mclean Newington
12. Boston F Kings
13. Leo Jacques Scots
14. Pat Broe Joeys
15. Tom Klem Shore (captain)

thoguhts? Who have I forgotten ?

Waleed Aly

Banned
Gps 1st xv

1. Bailey Park Kings
2. Will Guilfoyle Scots
4. Billy Hansen Scots
5. Arther Greer Joeys
6. Benji Noble Riverview
8. Toby Brial Scots
10. Henry James Scots
11. Hadley Tonga Kings
12. Tyrese Lokeni Kings

Gps 2nd xv

2. James Warner Shore
3. Nathanial Titi Kings
4. James Mcreerey Shore
5. Tom Galligan Shore
10. Joe Dillon Riverview
12. Boston F Kings
13. Leo Jacques Scots
14. Pat Broe Joeys

Zac Fitler? Or maybe you didnt forget him

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Gps 1st xv

1. Bailey Park Kings
2. Will Guilfoyle Scots
4. Billy Hansen Scots
5. Arther Greer Joeys
6. Benji Noble Riverview
8. Toby Brial Scots
10. Henry James Scots
11. Hadley Tonga Kings
12. Tyrese Lokeni Kings

Gps 2nd xv

2. James Warner Shore
3. Nathanial Titi Kings
4. James Mcreerey Shore
5. Tom Galligan Shore
10. Joe Dillon Riverview
12. Boston F Kings
13. Leo Jacques Scots
14. Pat Broe Joeys

Lipina Ata (2), GPS 1st xv 2022. Jacob Veiru (4), GPS 2nd xv 2022

BobbyD

Peter Burge (5)
Good first crack at it BRYDMLNMN_0184. I’d be surprised if Joeys only had 4 across 2 teams but all those 30 you have mentioned will certainly be in the mix.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Good first crack at it BRYDMLNMN_0184. I’d be surprised if Joeys only had 4 across 2 teams but all those 30 you have mentioned will certainly be in the mix.
Definitely very Joeys spare. It might be one of those years and Joeys not that strong, but I would imagine the remaining Joeys XV would still give both sides a good run!

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)

My initial reaction of this years Joeys team is that there is really not many stars. Of the 4 named, there is one boy who I am doubtful would make the GPS side. There will definitely be some surprise break out players from Joeys I imagine who break onto the scene and demand selection. I also have a feeling that Joeys will be a good team team, better than many non-Joey's supporters expect. I imagine they will be well drilled, and will buy into the joeys culture of playing your role, as well as that Joeys desperation to win that every great footy side needs. Being a 10 game competition this year too, I think there depth will be a massive advantage in the back half of the competition.

Don't rule them out this season.

Too little too late

Frank Row (1)
My initial reaction of this years Joeys team is that there is really not many stars. Of the 4 named, there is one boy who I am doubtful would make the GPS side. There will definitely be some surprise break out players from Joeys I imagine who break onto the scene and demand selection. I also have a feeling that Joeys will be a good team team, better than many non-Joey's supporters expect. I imagine they will be well drilled, and will buy into the joeys culture of playing your role, as well as that Joeys desperation to win that every great footy side needs. Being a 10 game competition this year too, I think there depth will be a massive advantage in the back half of the competition.

Don't rule them out this season.
This Joeys team has been dominant through the age groups since year 7. Now I know that boys change from year 7 to the senior years, but I would say they are favourites

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
This Joeys team has been dominant through the age groups since year 7. Now I know that boys change from year 7 to the senior years, but I would say they are favourites

Hey mate, a majority of the boys apart of that age group were “underage players” boys who were in the year above but played for the younger age.

example of this would be Joey Fowler or Harry darling

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Hey mate, a majority of the boys apart of that age group were “underage players” boys who were in the year above but played for the younger age.

example of this would be Joey Fowler or Harry darling
A shame those lads didn’t repeat, then again, they are thriving in clubland. Fowler in particular has been impressive in the colts team at Sydney Uni and (I think) still not quite 18.

Love2Scrum

Alfred Walker (16)
Gps 1st xv

1. Bailey Park Kings
2. Will Guilfoyle Scots
4. Billy Hansen Scots
5. Arther Greer Joeys
6. Benji Noble Riverview
8. Toby Brial Scots
10. Henry James Scots
11. Hadley Tonga Kings
12. Tyrese Lokeni Kings

Gps 2nd xv

2. James Warner Shore
3. Nathanial Titi Kings
4. James Mcreerey Shore
5. Tom Galligan Shore
10. Joe Dillon Riverview
12. Boston F Kings
13. Leo Jacques Scots
14. Pat Broe Joeys

Lipina Ata??? Matteo Cleverly???

IMO Lipina Ata will be sharing the Captaincy with Hwi Sharples for GPS 1st XV

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
From memory Tuini Jorgensen was in Year 12 in 2022. I’m happy to stand corrected
Been playing 1st Grade Colts at Gordon.

Interested to see how Views pack turns out. I have everything crossed they have been feeding them and working them. Fitness can make up for a certain amount of talent at this level still. They couldn't go the full match last year at the level of the opposition and would have a poor 10-15 minutes at some point throughout the game which cost them. They had the backs to score 25 but would leak 28.... Grover is a genuinely talented footballer who has a lot of future potential and Dillon a genuine Flyhalf in the facilitator style not just an athlete like some schools put in 10. They arent favourites but it only takes 1,2 matches to go your way and you are right in the mix. Especially if others start knocking each other off.

Any Holiday game updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.