• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

trelllianz

Bob McCowan (2)
Any updates on any recent trial games played this week other than Joeys?
View? Maybe even Grammar or High?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Any updates on any recent trial games played this week other than Joeys?
View? Maybe even Grammar or High?
I have heard view isn't allowing their best U16's players a crack at opens. That seems a shame as there is at least one View boy in that group that would be playing 1's or 2's at any other school and handle it very well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder why. What’s the change in philosophy? Trying to keep a group together to move into opens at the same time?

Would a Yr 11 student who is young be able to go up if they want? Assume it’s their choice by then

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
I have heard the same thing about View. Their 16's are strong and a few could play up this year however the coaches are keeping them together. This may not last due to the 10 round comp ( injuries ). Also, even though I like the idea of the team growing together and forming combinations, having some experience in Opens may benefit some who can handle it and when next year comes around, could lift the rest of the team.
The player may want to play up, but if advised by the coaches to stay in their age group, not many would go against that advice.
View's "philosophy" may pay off next year but as mentioned, this year will be tough.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
I have heard the same thing about View. Their 16's are strong and a few could play up this year however the coaches are keeping them together. This may not last due to the 10 round comp ( injuries ). Also, even though I like the idea of the team growing together and forming combinations, having some experience in Opens may benefit some who can handle it and when next year comes around, could lift the rest of the team.
The player may want to play up, but if advised by the coaches to stay in their age group, not many would go against that advice.
View's "philosophy" may pay off next year but as mentioned, this year will be tough.
My very early ladder prediction :
Kings
New
Joeys
Scots
View
Shore

Scots could surprise. They came very close in a few games last year ( New,Joeys ) but not sure ?
Joeys will be strong and have depth but have lost some good players and will be fairly young although their 15's last year were great.
Kings look like they have all bases covered. Good mix for bif forwards and clever/fast backs.
New have the talent as they had last year but it's what they do with it that is the problem. If they get it together, they can beat anyone on their day.Depth wil hurt them.
View and Shore will struggle

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Not sure there are a lot of standouts and the teams are looking a little unclear for the moment
The players i can see firming their spot in the squad are Hwi Sharples, Oscar Jorgensen, Hadley Tonga and Lipina Ata. Heard Tom Klem's name a few times so maybe him. Other than that most spots seem up for grab.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Additionally I am keen to here feedback on the p
Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 3.15.13 pm.png
roducts and prices. please leave suggestion always looking to improve

store link- https://super-sportswear-9256.myshopify.com

On the bright side, I'm not quite sure RiverVEIW will be able to sue you

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hey there new members for 2023....

As one of the seniors round here let me share with you how you can stay off the radar of cyclopath and contribute.

1. NO names of players to be used in a negative light. Praise is A, ok but not slagging off.
2. NO selling or promotion of any items. Yes, we have had members in the past use this forum to peddle their stuff.
3. Play nice with the others. Each year we have to withstand the insane dribble from those who wish to just slag off on schools.
4. If you are going to be funny, make it good.
5. Messing with old timers (like myself) will see you buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the southern highlands OR banned. What ever comes first.

nice.gif

Waleed Aly

Banned
Hey there new members for 2023....

As one of the seniors round here let me share with you how you can stay off the radar of cyclopath and contribute.

1. NO names of players to be used in a negative light. Praise is A, ok but not slagging off.
2. NO selling or promotion of any items. Yes, we have had members in the past use this forum to peddle their stuff.
3. Play nice with the others. Each year we have to withstand the insane dribble from those who wish to just slag off on schools.
4. If you are going to be funny, make it good.
5. Messing with old timers (like myself) will see you buried in a shallow grave somewhere in the southern highlands OR banned. What ever comes first.

View attachment 15633
Are you a moderator?

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Newington have put a lot of emphasis on fitness/conditioning this year ( Wand sand dunes etc ). Can't come soon enough. 10 round comp will be survival of the fitest. Joeys are always fit. Not sure about Scots/Kings. They seem to favour strength. View and Shore do their best. McLean junior from New as GPS 1sts C./Wing. Will be interesting to see how many/if any of the star studded but young Scots backs make GPS teams. View won't have too many unfortunately.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are you a moderator?

he's not. I am.

But the forum rules are here.

Comply

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Congrats to Hadley Tonga (TKS) for signing with Australian rugby. Looking forward to a great year from him!

Fresh from signing Joseph Sua'ali'i, Australian rugby has got another one over the NRL after signing schoolboy sensation Hadley Tonga.

The 17-year-old, who is in Year 12 at The King’s School, turned down advances from Eels and Dolphins in the NRL to sign a three-year deal with the Australian Sevens program that will also allow him to integrate into the Waratahs in his third year.

By that point, Tonga, who last year ran the 100m in a blistering time of 10.84 seconds in the rain, could be lining up a backline alongside Sua'ali'i, Max Jorgensen and Mark Nawaqanitawase.

While News Corp reported Rugby Australia offered $800,000 to try and lure former Australian Schoolboys star Tolu Koula to leave the Manly Sea Eagles, Tonga’s signing shows you don’t have to break the bank to succeed. You just can’t be slow off the mark.

Sources close to the situation believe Tonga could prove to be better than Sua'ali'i, who, contrary to reports, was offered a four-year deal once he finished his studies by Rugby Australia in 2018. The deal was tabled by former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and national contracting manager Nick Taylor, where he met Michael Hooper and Israel Folau.

Tonga is nowhere near as tall as Sua'ali'i, but rugby insiders believe he is a Marika Koroibete in the making.

Outside of Jorgensen, Tonga was the highest regarded Australian Schoolboy in 2022

The outside back, who featured for Australia’s under-18s sevens side in Fiji recently, would have played for the national team in the Hamilton and Sydney Sevens tournaments had he not picked up an ankle injury.

It’s believed former Wallaby and national performance manager Scott Bowen was instrumental in identifying Tonga’a talents.

Tonga could prove to be one of the missing pieces for Australia’s men’s sevens team. Light on his feet but strong in contact, he has carved up schoolboy rugby for years.

While rising teenage star Darby Lancaster has given John Manenti’s side an edge out wide, Tonga will give Australia another speed weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.