• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Long time reader, first time poster.
die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Returning here after a longish gap. The following message was carried on the TAS Rugby FB page.

"Welcome to TAS Rugby 2023.
For planning/reference, a few key dates below:
8-18 April 2023 TAS Development Tour to NZ
22-23 April 2023 TASRC- Under 12s Mixed, Under 14s Girls 7s, Under 16s Girls 7s
29 April 2023 TAS v Kinross (at Coona) - All Age groups, boys and girls
19 May 2023 TAS v SBHS (GPS Home) - All sports/all ages
27 May 2023 TAS v Riverview (GPS Home)-Teams TBC
3 June 2023 TAS v Scots (GPS Away) - Teams TBC
8 June 2023 Dick Hodgson Shield v Farrer (Home)- All ages/All sports
17 June 2023 TAS v Sydney Grammar (GPS Home)
21 June 2023 TBC TAS Under 12s only v Trinity (Home)
22 July 2023 TAS v Kings (GPS Away)- Boys Year 7-12 TBC
29 July 2023 TAS v St Joseph's (GPS Away) - Boys 9-12
5 August 2023 TAS v Shore (GPS Home)- Teams TBC (Also TAS Reunion Weekend)
24 August 2023 NCIS Rugby 7s Under 12, 14, 16 (At TAS)
TAS has also entered the NWRYR competition again in 2023- Boys and Girls all age groups. Numbers of teams entered will be determined once Winter sports choices are made (Week 5 Term 1)."

Two comments.

First, when I came back to Armidale, I hoped to see more TAS games. First Sydney game dominance and then covid intervened. Maybe this year?
Second, at 680 TAS has record numbers this year but the proportion of girls (now 41%) means that growth in boys numbers is much slower and spread across multiple sports. On the other hand, TAS is becoming a force in girl's rugby.

I now live just up the road from TAS. The scale and beauty of the school is a far removed from the days when all grounds work was carried out by Blanco on his Ferguson tractor and Backfield was essentially a hard paddock.

Finally, and this comment will mean nothing to newer commenters who do not remember the padre title once awarded to me, my blessings on the third comp and all those who support it in the face of Sydney dominance!

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Big step up for Max Jorgenson. Hope he handles it well and gets good support from his fullback and centres. Corey Toole is a very good and experienced Aust sevens player. Max will be tested defensively. We all know he is a very skilful ball runner however playing fullback is different to playing wing. Ben Donaldson is not imo a first choice fullback and to have T.Edmed at 10 just to accomadate B Donaldson could backfire ( hope it doesn't ). Wish these young, out of schoolers had at least 1-2 years in hard and heavy Club grade comp to learn their trade before thrusting them into the lime light. May work out may not. I wish him well and hope he succeeds however it was probably part of Max's agreement to stay with union rather than go to the dark side that he would be playing Tahs sooner rather than later.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
From what he's shown in the trial games so far he has been up to speed.

It has happened before planned no doubt with Dylan Pietsch getting injured and is out for a number of weeks.

I really don't think Coleman is being pressured to debut an 18 year old. Especially in what could be the Tahs most important home game for the season. He's earnt the spot and I have heard on a few occasions through podcasts and interviews that a lot of senior players have been impressed with him.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely. Big things ahead for the young man.

Hope he plays as much footy as possible over the next 2 years and I think NSW & Aus have their next Fullback for a number of years which is a position we don't have a sure thing.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Max Jorgenson played well with the limited oppotunities he was given. Finished off one of the few backline moves the Tahs did all game for a good winger's try. Tackled fairly well and contributed where he could. Solid without being outstanding. Agree that he fits in the NSW team well but to expect Aus Fullback after 1 professional game might be a stretch. Actually thought C.orey Toole outplayed him, although he was given more and better opportunities. Anyway, it's an opinion forum. Hope both MJ and the Tahs play better as the home crowd was good and hopefully stays that way for the rest of the season.
Visited the new Joeys pool centre on the weekend. Very swish for the poor Catholic boys. Recovery sessions after footy will be a pleasure. Good luck to them. Who would have thought Joeys would have a much better Aquatic centre than Scots. Scots will have it's Castle once its finished in 2030 !

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
Max Jorgenson played well with the limited oppotunities he was given. Finished off one of the few backline moves the Tahs did all game for a good winger's try. Tackled fairly well and contributed where he could. Solid without being outstanding. Agree that he fits in the NSW team well but to expect Aus Fullback after 1 professional game might be a stretch. Actually thought C.orey Toole outplayed him, although he was given more and better opportunities. Anyway, it's an opinion forum. Hope both MJ and the Tahs play better as the home crowd was good and hopefully stays that way for the rest of the season.
Visited the new Joeys pool centre on the weekend. Very swish for the poor Catholic boys. Recovery sessions after footy will be a pleasure. Good luck to them. Who would have thought Joeys would have a much better Aquatic centre than Scots. Scots will have it's Castle once its finished in 2030 !
2030 your being optimistic!!!!

Evening GPS followers,

As the season nears, I have a few questions to ask (if you are a reliable source).

1). If there are ANY new boys who have joined the school you support that may either make 1s, 2s, or 3s. What are their names and positions?

2). Does anyone have ANY updated team predictions for your favoured school's 1st XV?

3). Any players to look out for and why when their school is playing? (3 or 4 players would be ideal)

4). How your favoured schools pre season is going (if they have started).

Just wanting to hear your opinions and information for the exciting season to come.

The Import.

Rudderless

Alex Ross (28)
Hello all

A new thread has just been posted under Schoolboy Rugby which I suggest you all read, especially those old rugby heads with knowledge and expertise in the pathways system both past and present…

Rugby schools, their players, and the pathway to Seniors

Backintheolddays

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Two months till season start, looking forward to it. Early mail has Kings as favourites but they could suffer from team of champions syndrome, at risk to a champion team. Excited about the Scots year 11s step up. Fantastic individuals, similar challenges on the teamwork gelling.
And does Joeys ever produce a dud 1sts, plenty of momentum from last year though not sure they’ll have the individual brilliance from ‘22.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Two months till season start, looking forward to it. Early mail has Kings as favourites but they could suffer from team of champions syndrome, at risk to a champion team. Excited about the Scots year 11s step up. Fantastic individuals, similar challenges on the teamwork gelling.
And does Joeys ever produce a dud 1sts, plenty of momentum from last year though not sure they’ll have the individual brilliance from ‘22.
Don't discount Newington, they should be strong as well given the year 12 and year 11 groups form over the years. That said, age group form isn't the best guide when it comes to opens. Joeys edge this year might be depth, in a longer competition season teams will need to fill gaps to cover for injuries and if there is one thing Joeys has it's depth.

RobinHood

Frank Row (1)
Old High boy here. Does anyone have any insights into how the High boys are looking this year? Pretty disappointing season last year, is there any hope for success in 2023?

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Probably pretty disappointing again. I don't see things changing anytime soon either.
Me neither. The 1sts-in-3rds comp seems to work well for TAS and Grammar but not so much High. At some point or another, they'll just have to bite the bullet and drop Rugby from their school sport offering. That would be a sad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.