• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

pocockenthusiast1973

Allen Oxlade (6)
Anyone keen to share their opinions on the Kings v View Matchup this weekend? Heard it's going to be a bit gritty.
I would like to think it would be a very close game. With both schools contending for 1st place this year the results of this game will provide us with a clearer outlook on how the rest of the season will pan out.

In the trials, TKS beat Scots 31 to 19. More recently, Iggies beat Scots 43 to 24. The point difference in both games were also notably quite close (12 dif TKS V TSC) (19 dif SIC V TSC).

The results for the Newington game were also quite close.

I'd love for the View boys to win this round, however, I think the depth from the more rounded Kings side might push them towards a victory. All in all, it will be a lovely fixture to attend. I believe the 1st XV teams of the GPS competition across the board have been some of the best sides I have ever seen.

Pocockenthusiast1973 out!

pocockenthusiast1973

Allen Oxlade (6)
My GPS 1st Team as it stands:
1. Lepini Ata (New)
2. Bailey Parks (TKS)
3. Edwind Langi (TKS)
4. J. Veiru (New)
5. T.Brial (TSC)
6. Austin Durbridge (TKS)
7. Pat Young (SJC)
8. Liam Sullivan (View)
9. Hiwi Sharples (SJC)
10. Joe Dillion (View)
11. Hadley Tonga (TKS)
12. Boston (TKS)
13. Leo Jaques (TSC)
14. Liam Grover (View)
15. Nick Newton (View)

My thoughts on back-row selection:

Can't have two undersized back rowers, playing 6 and 7 without a strong ball carrier. Need a true 7 whilst also having a more dominant ball carrier that is physical and up to any task. Allowing the 7 to roam the field.

I think Young and Durbridge would complement each other perfectly, both are really good ball players, Durbridge is exceptional over the ball and both look for work across the field in defense.

There are so many good 7s will be interesting to see who they select, Le Matire and the rest of the 7s are pushing for teams as well. Nobody is locked into a spot there.

Very informative.

Cheers Jack!

Jack O'Brien

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this weekend:
Shore @ Scots - Shore by 5
Riverview @ Kings - Riverview by 3
Newington @ Joeys - Newington by 7

Reasoning:
I think Shore could upset Scots away from home with the lack of talent outside of center pairing, the only downfall to Shore winning will be their back's defense. Their backs are heavily dependent on their attacking game rather than defense. Shore is surprisingly well-structured and think Le Matire will have a big game.

Riverview is on fire as of late, with their speed of play and fitness levels in comparison to Kings. Kings will start well and get out to a lead early but in the last 15-20 minutes Riverview will come hard with 2-3 tries. The forward pack of View has understood their assignment and doing their role. However, I think Kings will get a couple of rolling mauls against them. Kings will have their chances to win this game especially with the game being in Paramatta. Interesting game and will give us a better understanding of real competitors.

Newington will take a game here with Joeys' being down all their key players, and a good momentum shift for the black and white. Newington will need discipline away from home and should otherwise cruise to a win. (Joeys will not roll over easily at home but think it too big of a ask with a lot of youth)

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
I find it amazing that the boys from TAS, Grammar and High are always overlooked in anyone's teams for GPS. I understand that most people don't watch these games and these teams are not as strong as other schools however there must be boys from those schools that would potentially make some 1st XV teams. Some of these boys should not be overlooked. After all the Captain of Kings 1st XV was only playing at High a couple of years ago.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I find it amazing that the boys from TAS, Grammar and High are always overlooked in anyone's teams for GPS. I understand that most people don't watch these games and these teams are not as strong as other schools however there must be boys from those schools that would potentially make some 1st XV teams. Some of these boys should not be overlooked. After all the Captain of Kings 1st XV was only playing at High a couple of years ago.
I am sure the selectors would like to ponder players from these schools but how do they properly consider them when they are playing 3rds level football? There is a reason the lad you mentioned moved to Kings and it probably wasn't the latin program at Kings.

Rugby Enthusiast Mat

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting fact for everyone the 10,12,13,15 have all played together since year 5 at Riverview. Just shows boys are not only teams mates but connect through bonds they have built over the 8 years Riverview

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
I am sure the selectors would like to ponder players from these schools but how do they properly consider them when they are playing 3rds level football? There is a reason the lad you mentioned moved to Kings and it probably wasn't the latin program at Kings.
Fraser Wait NO.8, Captain of Boats and Rugby on an all-around scholarship including his Academia.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Fraser Wait NO.8, Captain of Boats and Rugby on an all-around scholarship including his Academia.
I didn't say he wasn't academic. He wouldn't have been at High in the first place if he wasn't. Given High is more or less free, then it wasn't the all rounder that attracted him to Kings. if not those things then obviously it was the chance to play 1st XV and that makes the point about why you are very unlikely to see a very good Grammar, High or TAS boy play in a GPS team. If you don't play in the right comp how can selectors pick you? No doubt someone will be able to point out an exception (Sam Payne springs to mind) but there will be few if any others over time.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That’s a hard one to answer fairly. If a player is a stand out in the Grammar 1st XV how can it be judged how they stand against other 1st XV players. We don’t consider 2nd XV players (it has happened) for the rep teams but 90% of these guys would make a TAS, SGS, SBHS 1st XV who in theory can be picked.

I don’t know if they can but I’d support the SBHS players go for selection in the CHS team since they are a State School. I also don’t know if the TAS boys can play for Country? There is also the Sydney U18s which the boys playing Club footy can qualify through.

Giddy Up

Bob McCowan (2)
Selectors who are experienced should be able to see the calibre of certain boys if they indeed had the skill to do so. Not hard to pick certain boys who could play at a different level.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Selectors who are experienced should be able to see the calibre of certain boys if they indeed had the skill to do so. Not hard to pick certain boys who could play at a different level.
I can only see it happening now if their was an absolute outlier. A 10s 100m runner on the wing or some 200cm second rower.

If there’s just a fairly decent Centre at Grammar they just aren’t going to be looked at due to the talent at other schools.

mr footy head

Stan Wickham (3)
very hard game for the view boys this weekend interesting to see how the recent change of will hayes into 12 matches up to Boston Fakafanua
as he seems to be the hot shot for GPS 1st (12) so far in the competition.

very interesting to see how the forwards match up in the View v kings game as the view boys have a much smaller pack yet seem to be much fitter than the kings boys so if the view boys can keep Kings from scoring in the first 15 minutes of each half I think the view boys may get up.

cheers footys head

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I can only see it happening now if their was an absolute outlier. A 10s 100m runner on the wing or some 200cm second rower.

If there’s just a fairly decent Centre at Grammar they just aren’t going to be looked at due to the talent at other schools.
You would need to be so extraordinarily dominant, not impossible just very unlikely. In reality you can’t progress to the level required unless you are playing in that environment week in week out. You just wouldn’t develop skills sufficiently. The pace and physicality is massively different between 3rds and 1sts.

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
I didn't say he wasn't academic. He wouldn't have been at High in the first place if he wasn't. Given High is more or less free, then it wasn't the all rounder that attracted him to Kings. if not those things then obviously it was the chance to play 1st XV and that makes the point about why you are very unlikely to see a very good Grammar, High or TAS boy play in a GPS team. If you don't play in the right comp how can selectors pick you? No doubt someone will be able to point out an exception (Sam Payne springs to mind) but there will be few if any others over time.
Sorry, I wasn't having a dig at your comment at all just providing some context on his move to Kings. I completely agree with your point.

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
Players from TAS, Grammar and High are considered for GPS selection and have been selected in the past.
Two TAS players and two Grammar players were selected in the combined GPS teams in 2019.
Two Grammar players were selected last year in GPS White XV. (Remembering that the AAGPS picks four teams initially - 1st XV, 2nd XV, Blue XV and White XV.)

minipekka

Bob McCowan (2)
My predicted GPS 1st XV
  1. H. Grover (View)
  2. L. Ata (New)
  3. E. Langi (Kings)
  4. J. Veiru (New)
  5. E. Baxter (Shore)
  6. P. Young (Joeys)
  7. A. Durbige (King’s)
  8. T. Brial (Scots)
  9. H. Sharples (Joeys)
  10. J. Dillon (View)
  11. H. Tonga (Kings)
  12. B. Fakafanua (Kings)
  13. L. Jaques (Scots)
  14. C. Mclean (New)
  15. T. Klem (Shore)
no Le Maitre?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Rodwell and Farr jones have been ruled out for this weeks game and stanley martin has moved from flanker to wing.

1. Dante Zapp
2. Lipina Ata
3. Billy Mougious
4. Jacob Veiru
5. Charlie Foster
6. Luca Cleverly
7. Charlie Burt
8. Josh Va'alotu
9. Cooper Hickey
10. Matt Humphries
11. Stanley Martin
12. Matteo Cleverly
13. Daniel Lua
14. Casey McLean
15. Talis McEwen

McEwen will be tested on defense especially for someone of his size, however, he's very quick and good with ball in hands. Very decent team.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
back tree threats

Newington reveal their back tree threats

1685084604898.png

Status
Not open for further replies.