• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Anybody have an idea of the year breakdowns in the 1sts/2nds?

Always nice to know if you have a good crop coming through to merge with the U16s in the next year or so.
Next couple of seasons for TKS will be challenging. Solid forwards, limited backs. Little depth. Current TKS opens squads predominantly year 12. One year 10 in 1s, couple of year 11s in 2s and 3s. Is a very strong year 12 which limits younger years opportunity and development.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Next couple of seasons for TKS will be challenging. Solid forwards, limited backs. Little depth. Current TKS opens squads predominantly year 12. One year 10 in 1s, couple of year 11s in 2s and 3s. Is a very strong year 12 which limits younger years opportunity and development.
Helps put the 16s table in a bit better perspective. Kings at 2-2 with really everyone available for it agrees with what you're saying.

Runningtiger

Frank Row (1)
Outstanding game of rugby at Northbridge one of the best i have seen for a while. It was very interesting to watch as someone who isn’t supporting either teams. Shore took the lead then view took it then Shore took it then View nearly did but Shore cam away with the win. The thing that got shore over the line was the crowd. They definitely had an advantage over riverview with it being compulsory for the whole school to go. There didn’t look to be a single empty seat in the stand. I could hear shore from the other side of the field and did not hear rivervuew once. Nice to see shore bounce back and get a win over one of the favourites of the GPS 2023. Shore 9 and Shore 12 were outstanding. I know the centres is a extremely contested position for the gps teams so i don’t see shore 12 getting on there but shore 9 has been very consistent throughout the whole season and i definitely think he should be front runner for 9 over hwi sharpies at the moment. I think it’s a given that shore 15 is in Gps ones. The riverview 10 was casual today with a few good moves and a few mistakes.
Would love to know your guys opinions on the GPS teams after the Thursday fixtures.
BoysFromTheBxW
it wasnts compulsory btw

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I really like the fact that the Shore Boys pushed the students to get there and support. If some thought it was compulsory I think that's more of a 13 years old's brain and amazing ability to exaggerate than anything else.

Little things over time make big differences to programs. I bet a lot of boys chose not to play Rugby at Shore over the last decade because they were perceived as bad at it.

Oldboy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thoughts on the Joeys v Kings game. Wasn’t much in it. Think Kings forwards shaded the set piece. Joeys backs in first half made a lot of unforced errors. More turnovers (forced and unforced) than in previous games. Do think the Thursday time slot has impacted all schools mental preparation.
Joeys played best when going route 1 and made good yardage here. Usually unraveled when they spun it wide.
Kings played a very wide game with a lot of half breaks which usually finished in a turnover from pushing the last past. When you have an Aust u/18 winger you rightfully want to get the ball in his hands but believe Kings guilty of going wide too early, or too often, as in previous games. Their forwards are excellent on the direct carry and didn’t see enough of it. Joeys lack that individual brilliance out the back but as the for and against demonstrates, can beat any of this years teams and just need a little more cohesion in the backs.
Thought ref had a fine game, didn’t observe the high shots commented on here but haven’t watched in detail. If I’m being pedantic the late tackle by Kings on the Joeys winger who kicked through (wasn’t going to score) could have been a yellow but that’s just because I don’t like that cynical shite (even though I’d have done the same in the day )
Bring on round 2.

looking at the sin bin tackle both touch judge and ref reacted but my first instinct was ‘good hit’? Didn’t think high or shoulder charge but they had a much better view
Good summary. I agree that both kings 1s and 2s will be disappointed and will be really looking forward to round 10 at home, no matter who returns for joeys. Looked like unfinished business for the Kings boys. Also agree, that these mid week fixtures should be avoided.

The Grail

Ted Fahey (11)
ok. Small lesson.

Catholic (capital C) is the informal name (proper noun) for those who follow the Roman Catholic faith

catholic (small c) is an adjective to describe the universality of a group. For example. The holy catholic Church. This is the universal church.

I hope this helps.

yes…,. I saw Joeys lose 6 games in 1979. Two years later they won the championship. The team Joeys has this year is very light on yr 12 talent. The 15A’s are winning well and have been described as the strongest cohort. Let’s check in again soon.
Lets not forget that joeys 1981 side was helped significantly by a very speedy back who was in the 1980 Riverview premiership side, who wanted to repeat year 12. As discussed previously, you can't repeat year 12 at Riverview, so he did year 13 at the Gulag, ended up on their wing in the Joeys 1981's 1st XV.

Rugbynbeers

Bill Watson (15)
Helps put the 16s table in a bit better perspective. Kings at 2-2 with really everyone available for it agrees with what you're saying.

3-1* not 2-2

16s age group has quite a few injuries to key players like will Farah. They’re best two players are playing up a age group aswell. (Issac in the 1s, Ben in the 2s)

the 15s team is currently undefeated but they do have 3/4 players who are carrying that team. Would like to see next year how they go with most likely those players being in the opens.

the year 11 age group is solid but lacks the ‘x factor’ with also having 3 underage boys in that year 12 group play ‘As’ all the way through. Two of them in the 1s langi and watts. But they are a fairly big age group, watching them last year they had a bigger pack then there 1s.

next year I’d say kings will be around the 3/4 postion on the ladder. Might be able to shock a team like newo or Scot’s and get a win against them but unlikely. This year has been circled by coaches as the year to win and go 10-0.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
3-1* not 2-2

16s age group has quite a few injuries to key players like will Farah. They’re best two players are playing up a age group aswell. (Issac in the 1s, Ben in the 2s)

the 15s team is currently undefeated but they do have 3/4 players who are carrying that team. Would like to see next year how they go with most likely those players being in the opens.

the year 11 age group is solid but lacks the ‘x factor’ with also having 3 underage boys in that year 12 group play ‘As’ all the way through. Two of them in the 1s langi and watts. But they are a fairly big age group, watching them last year they had a bigger pack then there 1s.

next year I’d say kings will be around the 3/4 postion on the ladder. Might be able to shock a team like newo or Scot’s and get a win against them but unlikely. This year has been circled by coaches as the year to win and go 10-0.
Don't know what table I'm looking at. Thanks

That's enough to be right up there in a 2 round comp.

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lets not forget that joeys 1981 side was helped significantly by a very speedy back who was in the 1980 Riverview premiership side, who wanted to repeat year 12. As discussed previously, you can't repeat year 12 at Riverview, so he did year 13 at the Gulag, ended up on their wing in the Joeys 1981's 1st XV.
That was Denis Facer. He was handy but it's something of an exaggeration to say he 'significantly helped them' given the overall strength of the side, nine of whom were selected for GPS 1s and all fifteen made GPS teams. Facer didn't make the NSW squad. The other winger, Gerry O'Hearn, went on to play Australian Schoolboys the following year.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Old Denis. Lovely fella. Softly spoken and was quite shy at School. What HE told me in 1981 was quite simple.

Denis, who was an East Linfield boy, had wished to repeat yr 12 at the swamp (he liked the school a lot and had made many mates). Riverview I believe (and you have confirmed) did not permit repeats. (Joeys though were quite different on an industrial scale but this is for another time). The family looked around for a school that matched their faith and considered Aloysius as it is run by the Jesuits. Denis was not impressed with the sports program as he wanted to continue his athletics. They hesitantly approached Joeys and asked if they would allow a boy to repeat into yr 12 after spending his past six years across the river. Unheard of at the time. Unsure if this has been repeated. They were also nervous at how the country Joeys boys (80% back then) would react to this city slick.

It was considered and debated by the college council. (The late Mr Lantry confirmed this with me) It was finally deccided that Denis would be allowed to attend but the family would still pay the normal fee schedule. To their family's delight the Joeys fees at that time were 2/3 of Riverview. Why? When the majority of staff are Marist brothers who do not draw a salary, costs come down.

Denis did well at Joeys. A basketball, athletics and of course rugby premiership. He was good but the better winger was Gerry O'Hearn who went on to play Oz Schools in 1982. He was quiet, kept to himself early but over time the classmates drew him out. Denis had a shy smile but could crack a joke with his dry humor.

On speaking with staff who were there at Joeys at the time they feel the whole matter was used a punching bag against Joeys. Do not get me wrong, Denis was a welcome addition to the College program but he became the face for many years of allegations that Joeys had given him "the word that shall not be spoken" when it was simply not true. He rarely speaks about those days now and I only saw him briefly when I caught up with Peter Tonkin up the coast. In the case of Denis, "it looked like a duck, it walked like a duck but it was a fish".

Hope this explains.

1686269325355.png
1686269389487.png

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
the worst-performing team in the school
At this moment, yes indeed. But this does not mean they do not try. Last weekend Kings put 50+ on the Scots boys who simply gave up.
Joeys, undermanned, under powered and unorganized at times never did give up and could have snatched a draw against the best team in this years competition.

That is why no matter what the final result is at the end season 2023, the College, the community and classmates are proud.

Keep moving forward

Take it away Rocky!

Up and In

Allen Oxlade (6)
Old Denis. Lovely fella. Softly spoken and was quite shy at School. What HE told me in 1981 was quite simple.

Denis, who was an East Linfield boy, had wished to repeat yr 12 at the swamp (he liked the school a lot and had made many mates). Riverview I believe (and you have confirmed) did not permit repeats. (Joeys though were quite different on an industrial scale but this is for another time). The family looked around for a school that matched their faith and considered Aloysius as it is run by the Jesuits. Denis was not impressed with the sports program as he wanted to continue his athletics. They hesitantly approached Joeys and asked if they would allow a boy to repeat into yr 12 after spending his past six years across the river. Unheard of at the time. Unsure if this has been repeated. They were also nervous at how the country Joeys boys (80% back then) would react to this city slick.

It was considered and debated by the college council. (The late Mr Lantry confirmed this with me) It was finally deccided that Denis would be allowed to attend but the family would still pay the normal fee schedule. To their family's delight the Joeys fees at that time were 2/3 of Riverview. Why? When the majority of staff are Marist brothers who do not draw a salary, costs come down.

Denis did well at Joeys. A basketball, athletics and of course rugby premiership. He was good but the better winger was Gerry O'Hearn who went on to play Oz Schools in 1982. He was quiet, kept to himself early but over time the classmates drew him out. Denis had a shy smile but could crack a joke with his dry humor.

On speaking with staff who were there at Joeys at the time they feel the whole matter was used a punching bag against Joeys. Do not get me wrong, Denis was a welcome addition to the College program but he became the face for many years of allegations that Joeys had given him "the word that shall not be spoken" when it was simply not true. He rarely speaks now and I only saw him briefly when I caught up with Peter Tonkin up the coast. In the case of Denis, "it looked like a duck, it walked like a duck but it was a fish".

Hope this explains.

View attachment 16414View attachment 16415
A nice story, but how did Will Cummins manage to go the other way three years later and play in SIC's 1st in '84? This is not a loaded question. I genuinely don't know the answer. Did Riverview change its Yr 12 Repeat policy? Poor Will wasn't as successful in his school transition, for if he had stayed and repeated at SJC, he would have walked away with a Championship (assuming he was selected, and I think he would have)...

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
A nice story, but how did Will Cummins manage to go the other way three years later and play in SIC's 1st in '84? This is not a loaded question. I genuinely don't know the answer. Did Riverview change its Yr 12 Repeat policy? Poor Will wasn't as successful in his school transition, for if he had stayed and repeated at SJC, he would have walked away with a Championship (assuming he was selected, and I think he would have)...
Reasonable question. Perhaps the policy was/is they don't allow their own to repeat yr12 but allow some to repeat from other schools.

Overtheball

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, this years 1st and 2nds is all year 12 boys, except perhaps 4 or 5.

it will be almost a total change of players next year.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I know Will very well and consider him a good friend.

That will take quite some unpacking. In short, Will was a talented runner and rugby player. Plus he was a good student and classmate. He was also ambitious. Will played 2nd XV in 1983 at Joeys. The team under performed (poorly coached) while the 1st XV excelled. In the 1983 1st XV were two yr 11 players who were excellent back line players. In the 16A's/ 3rds there again were some very good players and Will thought he may end up not making the 1984 team. He was right. The 1984 were dominated with yr 11/12 boys and two repeats (A. Daly being one). Will's move to Riverview was complex and I will one day seek further clarification from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.