• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree with you Dribble. View has played as a team and deserve thei place on the table. I just worry that Kings have a few more class individuals but if View can shut them down, they can certainly last the whole game and win.
Joeys does have a great atmosphere and playing surface. There is something good about playing on the grounds of the school ie View, Scots, New, Kings. Shore and Joeys miss that. Outside from the swamp, I do rate Newington's main ground. The grass bank lends itself to a good view and a traditional, relaxed feel with the surrounding buildings giving it a bit of nostalgia. Pity they don't pull a crowd.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
People are pretty quick to write off Newington against Joeys. Earlier this year they beat Joeys at HH. With the addition of players with returning injuries that weren't featured against Kings, New should be able to get the job done. Should be a good crowd aswell.

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
As a Scots OB and parent, if we don't win the premiership next year something is seriously wrong with the rugby program. I don't know much about other school's other year groups but Kings and View (best 2 this year) seem very Year 12 heavy. With 3 u16s Australian Schoolboys last year (Fittler, Jaques and Brial) coming up with the likes of Onitoni Large and possibly his brother. AND Aidan Gow. Very talented backline with Brial, Ulcoq and Guerin all being representatives coming up in the forwards we surely need to win.

And yes I know, can't just be a team of superstars. But the backline of Soepono, Jaques, Fittler and McKenzie have been playing together since year 8 and apart from Fittler since prep school.

I need some outside thoughts on this to bump me back down to earth.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
I do rate Newington's main ground. The grass bank lends itself to a good view and a traditional, relaxed feel with the surrounding buildings giving it a bit of nostalgia. Pity they don't pull a crowd.
I am a fan of the brick pit as well. The grassy banks are lovely. Visiting schools are given lovely hospitality.

Newington showed their class in 2021 when the day before the 1st round match a Joeys boy took his own life. The College students were not aware and there was concern the message could be diluted. The Joeys Head asked if he could use the Newington hall to speak to the boys at the end of the day. Newington gladly obliged and supported the Joeys boys as well. The Newington head was present in the hall I believe. My son lost a mate but was grateful he was told in such a supportive environment.

Newington lads I shall see you on Saturday.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
As a Scots OB and parent, if we don't win the premiership next year something is seriously wrong with the rugby program. I don't know much about other schools other year groups but Kings and View (best 2 this year) seem very Year 12 heavy. With 3 u16s Australian Schoolboys last year (Fittler, Jaques and Brial) coming up with the likes of Onitoni Large and possibly his brother. AND Aidan Gow. Very talented backline with Brial, Ulcoq and Guerin all being representatives coming up in the forwards we surely need to win.

And yes I know, can't just be a team of superstars. But the backline of Soepono, Jaques, Fittler and McKenzie have been playing together since prep school.

I need some outside thoughts on this to bump be back down to earth.
Next season is a long way away. Both joeys and Scots have suffered allot of key injuries which results in not getting the best players on the field and training together for weeks on end and building combinations. We have a few games to go and let's see where the season ends. (Blake steep was out for 12 months, Finn Bartlett 2 months, Aidan Gow out for season, Mateus Heslin out twice now and the list goes on. Joeys have Jorgo etc and co out for very long periods of time. The revised 10 games home and away shows it is also important not to have 15 good players but a deep squad of maybe 20-22 players.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
As a Scots OB and parent, if we don't win the premiership next year something is seriously wrong with the rugby program. I don't know much about other schools other year groups but Kings and View (best 2 this year) seem very Year 12 heavy. With 3 u16s Australian Schoolboys last year (Fittler, Jaques and Brial) coming up with the likes of Onitoni Large and possibly his brother. AND Aidan Gow. Very talented backline with Brial, Ulcoq and Guerin all being representatives coming up in the forwards we surely need to win.

And yes I know, can't just be a team of superstars. But the backline of Soepono, Jaques, Fittler and McKenzie have been playing together since prep school.

I need some outside thoughts on this to bump be back down to earth.
Zac came in year 8 not the prep school.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Joeys is clearly the best oval .. from the playing pitch, closeness to the field for viewing and most importantly atmosphere.. 99% of games at joeys have a large crowd because … you guested it .. you’re playing Joeys … so other schools make a effort to show up ..

not knocking kings at all , I always enjoyed playing there, I like the stands and layout .. good hospitality the field is nice (except for the cricket pitch sometime ) .. but.. if it isn’t a full crowd it can feel a little empty..
Not for opposing fans on a sunny winters day the far side of the pitch.
Joeys faithful on comfortable seating in a tiered stand, toilets to hand, with the sun at their back - on one side.
Opposing fans on hard bench seating with limited elevation staring into the setting sun on the visitors side.
As a gesture of goodwill maybe Joeys should switch things around to accommodate their guests in greater comfort........worth raising at the next committee meeting Joker???:oops:

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Not for opposing fans on a sunny winters day the far side of the pitch.
Joeys faithful on comfortable seating in a tiered stand, toilets to hand, with the sun at their back - on one side.
Opposing fans on hard bench seating with limited elevation staring into the setting sun on the visitors side.
As a gesture of goodwill maybe Joeys should switch things around to accommodate their guests in greater comfort........worth raising at the next committee meeting Joker???:oops:
Pretty sure at every rugby oval there’s one side of the field where you’ll get the sun more … unless you’re in an indoor stadium or know the physics to change the rotation of the Earth.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
As a Scots OB and parent, if we don't win the premiership next year something is seriously wrong with the rugby program. I don't know much about other school's other year groups but Kings and View (best 2 this year) seem very Year 12 heavy. With 3 u16s Australian Schoolboys last year (Fittler, Jaques and Brial) coming up with the likes of Onitoni Large and possibly his brother. AND Aidan Gow. Very talented backline with Brial, Ulcoq and Guerin all being representatives coming up in the forwards we surely need to win.

And yes I know, can't just be a team of superstars. But the backline of Soepono, Jaques, Fittler and McKenzie have been playing together since year 8 and apart from Fittler since prep school.

I need some outside thoughts on this to bump me back down to earth.
Steep should have been taught the basics of being a flanker. Would have killed it

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Rugbynbeers

I agree that to be 7-0 Kings must have performed well as a team, but there are some very talented individuals in the Kings XV that can turn a game if the team is below par. Not many schools this year have had that luxury which makes View's team performances imo better for the callibre of players. Kings will be deserved winners ( and I have tipped them to go 10-0) but hope View can spoil the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.