• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

RushingRob

Ward Prentice (10)
Has any discussion/arrangement been made this year between King's, Joeys, View, Shore, whomever to run a Spaghetti Cup competition? If so, it'd be nice to know who's in and running scores.
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 3.03.34 pm.png

This is from Scots, 7ths started the season well. (needed to show off a bit of the ALMOST clean sweep)

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
Last one.....

MATCH OF THE ROUND.

St Joseph’s College v Scots College @ Les paturages du ciel

Venue to some of the greatest religious battles since the troubles in Northern Island, “Les paturages du ciel” gleams in its serene beauty as the cherubim and seraphin nurture a playing surface fit enough for the next great battle between the Archangel Michael's XV and Lucifer's Black Riders XV at the end of time. Till then we have this to entertain us.

The Cattle Dog Catholics v the Protestant Dark Empire once again stride onto “the best rugby playing surface in Sydney” (R. Deans 2012). History shaking games such as the miracle of time from 1981, Old Boys watering squad in 1994 all played under challenging circumstances with dodgy scoreboard clocks and accessible sprinklers firing off mid game. (Ask Subbie about this) Long time readers know of my history with the squid squeezers and the awesome days I spent in the Mansion Road classrooms, in fact 14 of them. Those golden days were the Mondays after Cattle Dogs beat the Storm Troopers. This was when I would collect on my bets from my students. Remember I taught a secret Catholic curriculum which included gambling. These tasty winnings I would then share with the SJC 1st XV. Simple times back then, no Michelin star Black Watch café. (still damn good coffee)

BTW.....book still available. We won in court!

View attachment 18970

The imperial guard of Lord Camembert had an unexpected result last weekend. A disturbance in the force was felt across Sydney. The sound of 1000 bagpipes suddenly silenced. A blip that no one ever saw just like that pesky vent on the first Death Star. The high priests of the Sithism have this week reminded the team of their belief that a real, dynamic force can be subjugated through various practices. (Make of that what you will.) Many at the game said the team did not live up to expectations and could play a lot better. Expectations were high. But Scots were starved of space to express these skills borne from “the dark side”. Kings did a great job of disrupting the Scots party. Many a set of hubcaps were stolen by local kids, and picnic baskets raided all put the Scots community off. Most of all, Kings showed us that Scots do not like being harried and being forced to make decisions quickly. All you need to do is go to dinner with them at Catalina and see how long it takes to order the wine.

Joeys though are the gold medal champions of harassment on the field (and off, but that's another story). Swarming like seagulls on hot chips, the dogs seem to engulf their prey if possible and commit more men to the breakdown hoping to scrounge up a turnover. Like the days of old, speed is being utilised out wide with dynamic 11, 13 and 14 causing damage if given a whiff of open space. Even on the thinner runways of Stanmore, the Joeys lads found space to move. The slick interplay between the backs and forwards created space. The Joeys forwards are smaller beasts than most, but with a high level of fitness and ball playing skill, they aim to become the complete player. Joeys love nothing more than to bring down an imperial walker down wherever possible. The thunder as they crash to the ground only provides more incentive to apply the offensive defence method championed by the late Minister for Defence, Br. Bede. Joeys would be wise not to give the Scots outside speeders possession in open ground. Scots have deadly weapons, but can they figure how to use them? A tantalising game awaits as does the delightful “Rower” at the BBQ and a cold beer at full time @“Jacks”

Joeys by 14 carpet bagger steaks
@Joker ah ah ahhhh, nope you can't pull the underdog card this time. Scots massive underdogs and no doubt I will not do well in the tipping comp because I just cannot pick the pink......I still wouldn't if you asked me to tip Scots v Joeys in 95

keenas

Banned
I come down each winter for the GPS rugby season from Qld last week I went to New v Joeys game at New I asked for a program & was told there r none being printed this year so best thing to do go to barbie n ask a Newington parent I asked a couple of parents they were very helpful but could not tell me where to download team lists as it is parents n old boys exclusive it is extremely disappointing as most supporters would like to know names of players etc. On Monday I rang Joeys to see what their position was & informed me programs are being printed as usual ! Does anyone know the situation at the other schools and is G & G the only place where team lists are published ? So no more Newington visits for me

ItsNotPink

Alfred Walker (16)
3rd XV Trial 4 Preview
It's the final trial this week before the 3rd XV competition commences on Saturday 1 June, and then we will have just 7 rounds to determine the 3rd XV premiers and winners of the Col Windon Shield for 2024. Some of these teams are looking really good but a few could be under early pressure when the comp starts.

Riverview 3rd XV v Newington 3rd XV
Riverview had a close win over Shore last week and are building very well for this competition. Newington lost to Joeys at Stanmore, but are proving competitive against the other 3rd XV sides. So even though Newington will not be in the competition, they are making their presence felt and good on them. Still, I think Riverview will prove too strong in this final trial match.

Shore 3rd XV v Kings 3rd XV
Shore are coming off the back of a narrow loss to Riverview and Kings off a loss to Scots, and you can guarantee that neither of these teams will want to head into the competition following two consecutive trial losses. I like Shore in this match up, firstly because they are at home and secondly because they were a bit unlucky at Riverview last week, but to be honest it could go either way.

Joeys 3rd XV v High 1st XV
After their big loss to Oakhill 4ths last week, High will be up against it at Hunters Hill as they take on one of the form teams for the final trial. Joeys looked confident in their win at Stanmore last week and this score really could be a blowout. Which would be a shame for High but looks likely.

Joeys 4th XV v Scots 3rd XV
With Joeys 3rds tackling High, the Joeys 4ths have a tough match up against Scots 3rds who beat Kings last week. Personally I would have swapped these two matches and had the 3rds play each other with Joeys 4ths playing High. Still, Joeys 4ths will put on a good show against Scots 3rds, as this is the final chance for 4ths players to break into the 3rds and play in one of the official GPS competition sides. Perhaps this is the rationale behind the match up. The other issue is that Joeys and Scots meet each other in the first round of the 3rd XV comp next week and they probably did not want to play each other two weeks in a row. Scots should beat Joeys 4ths by a margin, but if Joeys 4ths win...

St Patrick's 1st XV v Grammar 1st XV
After a surprising loss to Pius last week, Grammar will want to put St Pats away before the competition starts. They travel to Strathfield for what would appear to be a must win game before they tackle Kings away the following week. Grammar have been a bit hot and cold in the trials. They beat Aloysius early on, but the Pius loss was a setback. So this match is important to get them back in a winning frame of mind. I like their chances.

Good luck to all players for this final trial match.
INP

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
3rd XV Trial 4 Preview
It's the final trial this week before the 3rd XV competition commences on Saturday 1 June, and then we will have just 7 rounds to determine the 3rd XV premiers and winners of the Col Windon Shield for 2024. Some of these teams are looking really good but a few could be under early pressure when the comp starts.

Riverview had a close win over Shore last week and are building very well for this competition. Newington lost to Joeys at Stanmore, but are proving competitive against the other 3rd XV sides. So even though Newington will not be in the competition, they are making their presence felt and good on them. Still, I think Riverview will prove too strong in this final trial match.

Shore are coming off the back of a narrow loss to Riverview and Kings off a loss to Scots, and you can guarantee that neither of these teams will want to head into the competition following two consecutive trial losses. I like Shore in this match up, firstly because they are at home and secondly because they were a bit unlucky at Riverview last week, but to be honest it could go either way.

After their big loss to Oakhill 4ths last week, High will be up against it at Hunters Hill as they take on one of the form teams for the final trial. Joeys looked confident in their win at Stanmore last week and this score really could be a blowout. Which would be a shame for High but looks likely.

With Joeys 3rds tackling High, the Joeys 4ths have a tough match up against Scots 3rds who beat Kings last week. Personally I would have swapped these two matches and had the 3rds play each other with Joeys 4ths playing High. Still, Joeys 4ths will put on a good show against Scots 3rds, as this is the final chance for 4ths players to break into the 3rds and play in one of the official GPS competition sides. Perhaps this is the rationale behind the match up. The other issue is that Joeys and Scots meet each other in the first round of the 3rd XV comp next week and they probably did not want to play each other two weeks in a row. Scots should beat Joeys 4ths by a margin, but if Joeys 4ths win...

After a surprising loss to Pius last week, Grammar will want to put St Pats away before the competition starts. They travel to Strathfield for what would appear to be a must win game before they tackle Kings away the following week. Grammar have been a bit hot and cold in the trials. They beat Aloysius early on, but the Pius loss was a setback. So this match is important to get them back in a winning frame of mind. I like their chances.

INP
Thank goodness for your insights.

saladsdon'twinscrums

Bob McCowan (2)
Couple thoughts on Joeys V Scots this weekend...

With Joeys coming off the back of a strong win against Newington last week, I believe they will be met a bit of a challenge against a strong Scots outfit looking to put some points on after last weeks draw to Kings. The strong ball carriers of Brial, Lemoto (missing passport) and Jaques hitting the weak defensive 10 channel will do some serious damage as I feel that will be an area that will be targeted come Saturday. I believe the matchup of the day will be between the two number 8s, Brial and Justice, both coming off big games. My prediction for the weekend is an upset, Scots by 2 in a very tight game. Anytime Tryscorers, Fittler - Brial - Sleeman - Greer.

Keen for the weekend ahead.

SDWS

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
3rd XV Trial 4 Preview

INP
I’m seriously worried about High Firsts playing SJC 3rds. That could be dangerous given what we have seen with big losses to the Shore and Oakhill 4th XV….. that will be a cricket score. Good insight INP much appreciated.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
3rd XV Trial 4 Preview

INP
Great work!

Keen to see Newington v View. I hope Newington can put in more good showings and maybe push towards making it permanent in the 3rds comp.

I expect Joeys 3rds to put up a cricket score on this SBHS side sadly. Might have attracted some more teams through the school but this side isn't going to threaten to many.

St Pats to knock over SGS relatively comfortably. Couple of players in that Pats side that would be first picked on any Schools 1st XV. Pius are a good side with a few very good wins this year. That result was expected going on other trial results. ISA with Auggies, Pats, Oakhill, Pius all at a very good - good standard this year.

Easy to see this flip on its head if a few return from injury players cause a filter down to this level.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
In addition. I am contemplating no longer doing match previews. Takes a lot out of me these days. Plus some recent talent has expanded upon my style. I wish them the very best.

do I still have it?

Riverview v Newington @ The Swamp

Last Saturday night, unsympathetic winds wafted across the stately kit-homes of Lane Cove from the frigid southern alps. Mixed within this wind was the sound of the wild wolves baying with delight. “Write us off?” they cried. The lunatics were of course celebrating their last-minute win over the preseason favourites as dictated by the oracle of Delphia, Pythia, in the 48th minute of the second half. To the shock of the local media and Sunday morning legal alumni, Shore are yet to call for a royal commission into “the greatest rugby robbery since Joeys v New 2016”. Only Subbies will disagree with such skullduggery. He continues to scratch the wound of the historical premiership robbery of 1981 when Joeys kicked a field goal 78 minutes into the second half. (Scots are always a bit rubbery with the time). That being said, it was heartening to see the swamp things taking the fight to the ogres of Stirling Bridge. It is confident to say that Riverview will now perceive themselves as the outright favourites for the 2024 title and moral guardians of the Catholic universe. The win exposed that Jesus may indeed love the Jesuits. This self-congratulatory talk is the natural course of things with any View win.

Their opponent this weekend will be looking for redemption. Newington were not particularly poor against Joeys but just out-thought at times. Newington went for their strength and this has always been to supersize the players to over run their opponents. They found though the puppies up-tempo game is similar to the soundtrack of seasons past when Joeys quick stepped, side stepped and hot footed their way through backlines to victories. When Newington kept it close to the melee of mud monsters in the middle, Newington goliaths were very effective as they started to wear down the sheep herders. Newington lineouts were excellent, with wookies pinching more possession than the Artful Dodger picking pockets. The enormous Wyvern scrum was indeed very solid. The front row alone would come close to outweighing the entire SJC scrum. While light on technique at times, Newington simply had to use their gigantic bulk to wear down Joeys. The Newington 13, 14 looked very dangerous every time they got the ball. Newingtom managed to spoil at least three tries in the first half from poor passing, a tradition going back years. If these passes had stuck it would've been a different result. Dogged Joeys defence harassed them all game but Newington looked dangerous when the ball was flung wide. I'm predicting the Newington team to have learned their lesson on passing and may catch the bombastic swamp wolves off guard.

Newington by three Kalua pigs
Too early to pass the baton on Joker. Some nice efforts via new match previewers but still lacking the subtle nuances you can wind through the narrative.

Couple thoughts on Joeys V Scots this weekend...

With Joeys coming off the back of a strong win against Newington last week, I believe they will be met a bit of a challenge against a strong Scots outfit looking to put some points on after last weeks draw to Kings. The strong ball carriers of Brial, Lemoto (missing passport) and Jaques hitting the weak defensive 10 channel will do some serious damage as I feel that will be an area that will be targeted come Saturday. I believe the matchup of the day will be between the two number 8s, Brial and Justice, both coming off big games. My prediction for the weekend is an upset, Scots by 2 in a very tight game. Anytime Tryscorers, Fittler - Brial - Sleeman - Greer.
Completely agree, Scots will bounce back this weekend after the upset DRAW to Joeys but I just can't see Joeys going down in front of the home crowd.