• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
Newington will be good next year as they have the majority of there backline in year 11 and 1 in year 10 at the moment and they have some really good forwards in the younger age groups.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Don’t think anyone judges the talent at Newington it’s how they play and the game plan/structure that’s missing or at least not good enough compared to the others.

Besides the clear guns in the side I’ve been impressed by some of their forwards. Hard workers not spoken about.

Newington should build on Defence & Fitness and then play with the shiny toys out wide.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Don’t think anyone judges the talent at Newington it’s how they play and the game plan/structure that’s missing or at least not good enough compared to the others.

Besides the clear guns in the side I’ve been impressed by some of their forwards. Hard workers not spoken about.

Newington should build on Defence & Fitness and then play with the shiny toys out wide.
GoR

Talking talent, this won’t help interest in Rugby at New in 2024

Newington’s 1st XVIII AFL team won the Independent Schools AFL Grand Final last Friday evening.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
What is AFL? Also, who cares?
I don’t care but it’s definitely a popular sport with some very good athletes. Riverview has probably been the best school at it for the last 25 years that it’s been an option in Sydney in general. Won the U18s Sydney wide Club comps in the past. Had kids drafted to the AFL.

It’s here and not going anywhere. It’s Rugby’s job to sell itself now.

Last edited:

amazingadelaide

Bob McCowan (2)
I don’t care but it’s definitely a popular sport with some very good athletes. Riverview has probably been the best school at it for the last 25 years that it’s been an option in Sydney in general. Won the U18s Sydney wide Club comps in the past. Had kids drafted to the AFL.

It’s here and not going anywhere. It’s Rugby’s job to sell itself now.
Agreed and its popularity seems to be ever-growing in Sydney. If you compare average crowds at Waratahs games (approx 11000) vs a Swans game (33000 in 2023), rugby definitely has some work to do. Even the West Tigers attendance is about 14000 and they're at rock bottom. The Wallabies still do attract large attendance but I feel that's more due to the lesser regularity of those games.

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agreed and its popularity seems to be ever-growing in Sydney. If you compare average crowds at Waratahs games (approx 11000) vs a Swans game (33000 in 2023), rugby definitely has some work to do. Even the West Tigers attendance is about 14000 and they're at rock bottom. The Wallabies still do attract large attendance but I feel that's more due to the lesser regularity of those games.
I think if the Wallabies played as regularly as the Swans they couldn't attract a bigger crowd.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
GoR

Talking talent, this won’t help interest in Rugby at New in 2024

Newington’s 1st XVIII AFL team won the Independent Schools AFL Grand Final last Friday evening.
Joeys has won the GPS soccer for two years in a row and 95% of the school doesn’t play it lol …

I don’t think you can use the excuse of other sports taking talent … coaching and training styles are the most important factor.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Joeys has won the GPS soccer for two years in a row and 95% of the school doesn’t play it lol …

I don’t think you can use the excuse of other sports taking talent … coaching and training styles are the most important factor.
Soccer was made an offical GPS Sport in 88 so other schools could win a winter sport. Joeys won it that year. Hardly anyone plays soccer at Joeys. What’s going on at other schools that the smallest player pool can be so dominant?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I’m not really sure about this claim. Who has the data? Total number of AFL players at GPS schools each year for the past decade. My guess- trend is in decline. Why? Swans haven’t won a prem for a bit, fickle lot.

amazingadelaide

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m not really sure about this claim. Who has the data? Total number of AFL players at GPS schools each year for the past decade. My guess- trend is in decline. Why? Swans haven’t won a prem for a bit, fickle lot.

On the contrary actually.

In 2016 (AFL Comp Started) - Only 1 9/10s division with 1 Riverview and 1 Shore 9/10s team, with no team from Newington.
In 2023 - Riverview and Newington both had 3 9/10s teams as well as 2 from Shore across the now 3 divisions for 9/10s AFL.

In 2016 (AFL Comp Started) - 1 Opens division only (7 teams). 1 Opens Riverview team. 1from Shore. None from Newington.
In 2023 - 2 divisions (8 teams in each division) - 2 Opens Riverview teams, 1 from Shore and 3 from Newington.

Sooo yeah that's the data from just the rugby-dominated schools, it's getting bigger at the club level as well. Even in that time, the Swans haven't won the prem but the numbers are increasing....imagine if they did win a premiership which would seem possible in the next few years after a GF appearance last year.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
On the contrary actually.

In 2016 (AFL Comp Started) - Only 1 9/10s division with 1 Riverview and 1 Shore 9/10s team, with no team from Newington.
In 2023 - Riverview and Newington both had 3 9/10s teams as well as 2 from Shore across the now 3 divisions for 9/10s AFL.

In 2016 (AFL Comp Started) - 1 Opens division only (7 teams). 1 Opens Riverview team. 1from Shore. None from Newington.
In 2023 - 2 divisions (8 teams in each division) - 2 Opens Riverview teams, 1 from Shore and 3 from Newington.

Sooo yeah that's the data from just the rugby-dominated schools, it's getting bigger at the club level as well. Even in that time, the Swans haven't won the prem but the numbers are increasing....imagine if they did win a premiership which would seem possible in the next few years after a GF appearance last year.
interesting, seems quite school specific. It has burnt out altogether at Joeys as I understand it. What about Scots, Kings etc.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Riverview definitely had a leg up starting it due to the Jesuit Schools and the Cups they run for sports like Soccer, Cricket and Aussie rules involving Xavier in Melbourne, St Ignatius in Adelaide etc. Not a hope they are going to play Rugby.

Aussie Rules is probably at the same stage Water Polo was a number of years ago.

There will be a point I think it will be a larger comp and probably combined with CAS, ISA. More schools will bring in teams. Rugby have a problem of putting our head in the sand and thinking it’s the 90s with the Wallabies flying and Super 12 the bench mark of the world.