• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Riverview definitely had a leg up starting it due to the Jesuit Schools and the Cups they run for sports like Soccer, Cricket and Aussie rules involving Xavier in Melbourne, St Ignatius in Adelaide etc. Not a hope they are going to play Rugby.

Aussie Rules is probably at the same stage Water Polo was a number of years ago.

There will be a point I think it will be a larger comp and probably combined with CAS, ISA. More schools will bring in teams. Rugby have a problem of putting our head in the sand and thinking it’s the 90s with the Wallabies flying and Super 12 the bench mark of the world.
100%, winning would take care of a lot of these issues. That said, AFL does well in pockets but not everywhere atm. Seems to be school demographic specific... sort of. I remember Dave Russell from View was a duel Aussie Schoolboy player and Swans Academy player. Is that a faulty memory?

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
One of the star year 11 backs at New is on rugby, league, and rules pathways.
Rules gets contemplated at Kings every couple of years but until rugby falls further off its perch I don’t think will get a foot in.

amazingadelaide

Bob McCowan (2)
interesting, seems quite school specific. It has burnt out altogether at Joeys as I understand it. What about Scots, Kings etc.
Going off the GPS AFL team from the last few years Scots do have the talent and players with a number of Swans academy players but the school just simply doesn't offer it and as for Kings I've got no idea.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Going off the GPS AFL team from the last few years Scots do have the talent and players with a number of Swans academy players but the school just simply doesn't offer it and as for Kings I've got no idea.
AA

Sorry to be a party pooper

Scots played there 1st game at New on Saturday.

1691910992578.png

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
AA

Sorry to be a party pooper

Scots played there 1st game at New on Saturday.

View attachment 17241
A lot of boys just got asked to play on the day after their rugby games, good to see 16a's star flanker Aston "fatty" Weir getting in there and laying out a few of the Newington boys, he might not have the known rules but he did the college proud as always.

The Chairman

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tough to pick for '24, seems from early on though Riverview and Scots have to be the favourites. Anyone have an idea about how many King's players will be returning for 2024?

anothernudge

Allen Oxlade (6)
Will be interesting who plays 10 next yr for Scots as the second ten has been very solid but talks of moving Onitoni large to 10 to make room at center for his brother Ashton.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Will be interesting who plays 10 next yr for Scots as the second ten has been very solid but talks of moving Onitoni large to 10 to make room at center for his brother Ashton.
If this season is anything to go by each school will need a core squad of 20-21 players for the 1sts. I think largely the team is 90% set with a few exceptions. Ontini at 10 would open up for possibly Ashton or Will "snowy" Johnson who has played well in the seconds.

1. Joel Jacobs
2. Cody Clarke
3. Cooper Guerin
4. Finn Bartlett
5. Charlie Barber
6. Charlie Ulqou
7. ?
8. Toby Brial
9. G Hughes/M Patterson
10. Ontini Large
11. Aidan Gow
12. Ashton/Will Johnson
13. Zachariah Fittler
14. Jay McKenzie
15. Leonardo Jacques

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
@Ballscollector I hope you don't mind me listing your predicted Shore team here that you listed in the GPS '23 thread a while back. Thought it might be good to keep an eye on this list and see how close you get. :)

1. Ed Cowdery/Charlie Armati (16As)
2. James Warner (1sts)
3. Felix Harvison (3rds)
4. Ed Baxter (1sts)
5. Charlie Galligan (16As)
6. Angus Reardon (2nds)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (1sts)
8. Ethan Hamilton (2nds)
9. Jack Binnie (2nds)
10. Alex Segeart (2nds)
11. Preston Scott (2nds)
12. Henry Conick (1sts)
13. Charlie Francis (16As)
14. Ollie Mackellar (1sts)
15. Lewis Kingdom (2nds)

Had to consult many team lists to pull out all of these names but this is my best shot at a full XV, obviously other boys who could make it and some players moving positions (14 and 13 swapping possibly). Happy to discuss the team with anyone and most likely have forgotten some deserving boys.
Edit: Did not realise 2nds number 8 was in year 11, he will most definitely be in the 1st XV come next year.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
@Ballscollector I hope you don't mind me listing your predicted Shore team here that you listed in the GPS '23 thread a while back. Thought it might be good to keep an eye on this list and see how close you get. :)

1. Ed Cowdery/Charlie Armati (16As)
2. James Warner (1sts)
3. Felix Harvison (3rds)
4. Ed Baxter (1sts)
5. Charlie Galligan (16As)
6. Angus Reardon (2nds)
7. Marshall Le Maitre (1sts)
8. Ethan Hamilton (2nds)
9. Jack Binnie (2nds)
10. Alex Segeart (2nds)
11. Preston Scott (2nds)
12. Henry Conick (1sts)
13. Charlie Francis (16As)
14. Ollie Mackellar (1sts)
15. Lewis Kingdom (2nds)

Had to consult many team lists to pull out all of these names but this is my best shot at a full XV, obviously other boys who could make it and some players moving positions (14 and 13 swapping possibly). Happy to discuss the team with anyone and most likely have forgotten some deserving boys.
Edit: Did not realise 2nds number 8 was in year 11, he will most definitely be in the 1st XV come next year.
Very strong forward pack. Warner,Baxter, Le Maitre should make the Gps 1's and a high chance of Aus Schoolboys.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Joeys has won the GPS soccer for two years in a row and 95% of the school doesn’t play it lol …

I don’t think you can use the excuse of other sports taking talent … coaching and training styles are the most important factor.

I'll give you the hot tip... No school cares about soccer and it doesn't matter who wins it. I remember when Kings made it compulsory to watch the 1sts soccer one year... and everyone went to watch the 3rds rugby instead. It does not matter.

Joeys don't have a smaller talent pool than the other schools because unless you're playing A's soccer at a GPS school, you're only enrolled in the sport to tick that box. So every school has a talent pool of 11 players, and it essentially comes down to how many "europeans" you have in any given year group.

The GPS should only allow 1 or 2 soccer teams in any given age group. The GPS has a rich rugby culture, and all GPS schools should prioritise maintaining that rich history.

Flat out

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'll give you the hot tip... No school cares about soccer and it doesn't matter who wins it. I remember when Kings made it compulsory to watch the 1sts soccer one year... and everyone went to watch the 3rds rugby instead. It does not matter.

Joeys don't have a smaller talent pool than the other schools because unless you're playing A's soccer at a GPS school, you're only enrolled in the sport to tick that box. So every school has a talent pool of 11 players, and it essentially comes down to how many "europeans" you have in any given year group.

The GPS should only allow 1 or 2 soccer teams in any given age group. The GPS has a rich rugby culture, and all GPS schools should prioritise maintaining that rich history.
Total horse sh1t.....what dinosaur planet do you live on?