• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

TheMaulester

Sydney Middleton (9)
-Hartman
-Phillips
-Tancred
-mason
-graham
-carter
-grova
-conna
-dempsey
-saunders
-osborne
Quite a lot of those boys are going into year 12 now. How do you think that will effect the 2025 season for Riverview not having many boys with experience in the 1st competition.

thebigone

Bob McCowan (2)
Quite a lot of those boys are going into year 12 now. How do you think that will effect the 2025 season for Riverview not having many boys with experience in the 1st competition.
i wouldnt be too concerned there are some really strong boys in the upcuming 16a's.Theyve got some quality footy players who im hoping to see feature on the bench for some 1s and 2s games

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dunno about that. Two things:

1. Tony Boyd lamented the demise of rugby in government high schools, and especially mentioned Tony Hannon at High. This is a very astute observation, rugby NEEDS numbers in all high schools to keep a wide and solid foundation in grassroots participation.

2. The article mentioned a few names of quality rugby players coming out of Catholic schools, but not one from a Jesuit institution.

One could consider this a very "catholic" comment from Tony.

GPSlads

Sydney Middleton (9)

1. Tony Boyd lamented the demise of rugby in government high schools, and especially mentioned Tony Hannon at High. This is a very astute observation, rugby NEEDS numbers in all high schools to keep a wide and solid foundation in grassroots participation.

2. The article mentioned a few names of quality rugby players coming out of Catholic schools, but not one from a Jesuit institution.

“Astute observation”?

It’s like the most generic / obvious answer ever .. Everyone knows the game needs to grow in state schools .. It’s like the Number 1 solution everyone mentions … He should change his name to Br Obvious .

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think Tony Boyd was subtlely bringing to his fellow private school rugby administrators' attention there's more to the game than winning an arms race in the various GPS, CAS, ISA or whatever competitions. From what most of us here on G&GR know these administrators couldn't give a fuck about the health of grassroots rugby as long as their particular school's doing well. As much as I like Newington as an institution, their rugby program is a classic example of a champion Firsts, and As, and bugger all below. I was appalled to learn from the New assistant coach most of this year's First XV are signed up for NRL clubs; if New, for example, had healthy numbers all the way down to Hs (they don't), one would hope a goodish number of those lower players would go on to Subbies and/or grade rugby. Please don't think I'm anti-New, it's an example I know a bit about where a wealthy private school skims off the cream to the detriment of local grassroots clubs.

Tony Boyd is keenly aware of the need for a wide base of the rugby pyramid, no more. Give him credit for that.

Last edited:

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
“Astute observation”?

It’s like the most generic / obvious answer ever .. Everyone knows the game needs to grow in state schools .. It’s like the Number 1 solution everyone mentions … He should change his name to Br Obvious .
How many GpS Championship/premierships or Shute shield have you won?

I think Tony Boyd was subtlely bringing to his fellow private school rugby administrators' attention there's more to the game than winning an arms race in the various GPS, CAS, ISA or whatever competitions. From what most of us here on G&GR know these administrators couldn't give a fuck about the health of grassroots rugby as long as their particular school's doing well. As much as I like Newington as an institution, their rugby program is a classic example of a champion Firsts, and As, and bugger all below. I was appalled to learn from the New assistant coach most of this year's First XV are signed up for NRL clubs; if New, for example, had healthy numbers all the way down to Hs (they don't), one would hope a goodish number of those lower players would go on to Subbies and/or grade rugby. Please don't think I'm anti-New, it's an example I know a bit about where a wealthy private school skims off the cream to the detriment of local grassroots clubs.

Tony Boyd is keenly aware of the need for a wide base of the rugby pyramid, no more. Give him credit for that.
That is pretty rich - if that was the point he was making - because Joeys started the arms race, well before Kings, Scots, Newington and more recently Shore perfected it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

One could consider this a very "catholic" comment from Tony.
And this means what to the Wallabies? It's an angled pat on the back article.

If anyone from that article should feel aggrieved it's the Christian Brothers since it gives a little mention of them in NSW but completely brushed Nudgee & Gregory Terrace.

I don't like to throw barbs in here as it just becomes a shit throwing contest but Joeys didn't have a player get in a game at the WC. That Jesuit institution did.