• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
the 2 best forwards didn’t even play half the game Isaiah and iliyaz all tries, were scored by backs and final score was 12-10 ref didn’t count the kick in final score kicks on video if you’d like proof . Coming from a view supporter.@propsarespeedy any more complaints?
Wasn’t trying to discount Newingtons efforts, they did well. I’m just saying it’s pretty ridiculous for Newington to put the 16A’s on those tiny fields, and it’s clear that they do it for a reason. Rugby is meant to be played on an 100 metre long and 70 metre wide field, not a 60 metre long and 30 metre wide field. Furthermore, I know that 2 of the best forwards didn’t play half the game, neither did 4 of Scots top players. Scots flanker Dan Ibrahim was forced to field at centre. If you think it’s fine for Newington to play senior games (15s+) on old boys, fine, but I don’t think it is.

Last edited:

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
It's great to be back for another GPS rugby season and I look forward to more exciting commentary on Green & Gold. I will continue to report on the 3rd XV competition in 2024 as I have done in recent years. Its the same format for 2024 with the three 1st XV teams from Grammar, High and TAS together with the 3rd XV teams from Scots, Joeys, Shore, Kings & Riverview.

There are four trial matches in May before the 3rd XV comp starts on 1 June. They play one round of 7 matches for the premiership.

Some interesting trial results yesterday (not all have been reported and some were cancelled):
Grammar 1st XV 17 d St Aloysius 1st XV 12
St Stanislaus 1st XV 24 d Joeys 3rd XV 12
St Gregs 1st XV 19 d Shore 3rd XV 5

Good luck to all teams in 2024 as Scots endeavour to repeat their undefeated premiership in 2023.

ItsNotPink

thesolicitor

Bob McCowan (2)
Wasn’t trying to discount Newingtons efforts, they did well. I’m just saying it’s pretty ridiculous for Newington to put the 16A’s on those tiny fields, and it’s clear that they do it for a reason. Rugby is meant to be played on an 100 metre long and 70 metre wide field, not a 60 metre long and 30 metre wide field. Furthermore, I know that 2 of the best forwards didn’t play half the game, neither did 4 of Scots top players. Scots flanker Dan Ibrahim was forced to field at centre. If you think it’s fine for Newington to play senior games (15s+) on old boys, fine, but I don’t think it is.
Honestly looking at your posts it’s glaring that you are either in the Scot’s 16a’s team or in that year at Scot’s

UpnUnder

Chris McKivat (8)
What happened to the Scots supporters post having a rant about the program? Deleted? I keep hearing grumblings from Scots old boys and disaffected parents. Sounds unhappy and spiteful.

Footy head

Chris McKivat (8)
They put the 16s on the smaller fields because 'The Johno' was too wet and they wanted to keep the fields nice for the 1s and 2s.

-Footyhead

Here for the advice

Frank Row (1)
It's great to be back for another GPS rugby season and I look forward to more exciting commentary on Green & Gold. I will continue to report on the 3rd XV competition in 2024 as I have done in recent years. Its the same format for 2024 with the three 1st XV teams from Grammar, High and TAS together with the 3rd XV teams from Scots, Joeys, Shore, Kings & Riverview.

There are four trial matches in May before the 3rd XV comp starts on 1 June. They play one round of 7 matches for the premiership.

Some interesting trial results yesterday (not all have been reported and some were cancelled):
Grammar 1st XV 17 d St Aloysius 1st XV 12
St Stanislaus 1st XV 24 d Joeys 3rd XV 12
St Gregs 1st XV 19 d Shore 3rd XV 5

Good luck to all teams in 2024 as Scots endeavour to repeat their undefeated premiership in 2023.

ItsNotPink
No 3XV for Newington in that comp ?

AAGPSSUPPORTER

Frank Nicholson (4)
Do you think the TSC coaches will lament not using trial matches to actually trial different players in different positions with different combinations? Newington used the whole bench, TSC not a single replacement. Obviously happy with what was playing out in front of them.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Do you think the TSC coaches will lament not using trial matches to actually trial different players in different positions with different combinations? Newington used the whole bench, TSC not a single replacement. Obviously happy with what was playing out in front of them.
TSC used most of last season as their trials - playing many Y11s to prepare them for an unbeaten season this year. They won a couple of games at the back end of last season when they beefed up their backline with some Y12s.

Snowy Mountains

Frank Nicholson (4)
TSC used most of last season as their trials - playing many Y11s to prepare them for an unbeaten season this year. They won a couple of games at the back end of last season when they beefed up their backline with some Y12s.
And that may be the problem.
Would be great to see a replay of the game. Lots of sideways movement, a poor kicking game, obvious issues in defense leaking so many points and an inability to score points. Lots to work on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
My notes after I watched Barker v View. Wet conditions prevented some clear tries and linebreaks from both teams, the expansive view we saw last year is back and it worked well against a big pack. Barker have a fairly large pack that tired out after the 2nd half, however execution was a problem for View in making this advantageous. Barker standouts were 10,14,15. Barker 14 saw plenty of ball and ran plenty of metres, beating defenders in the process. Young Isaac Perkins View 8 was a handful both defensively and on ball. Phoenix Graham, View 4 also amongst the mix, tackles hard, carries harder and well drilled in the lineout. View 5 Dan Smith had a great attacking game, whilst View 6 Daniel Saunders was a handful at the lineout... View will need to improve execution and fluency off of set piece. Defensively lots of lapses, line speed was second to Barkers and spacing seemed a bit off at times, must improve with their smaller pack if they want to put other teams in the GPS on the back foot in defence and slow momentum. View backs played well but only when they had front foot ball from Forwards. They seem to have a good 9,10,12,13 combo and until Max Mason (10) is back View just have to improve there execution off set piece. Would like to see there front row improve defensively and be dominant in contact like 2022 Joeys front row. Despite a scrappy game was pretty impressed, played as a team just a few areas that will improve week to week.

Sounds like Shore and Joeys were dominant and have the execution down pat. Newington should be happy and prove they are a real threat. Despite Scots having some big names out, it may raise some concerns regarding depth and also Scots being reliant on some one off play. Newington must've controlled the park and cut down on errors which happened in a fair few games last season. Haven't heard much out of Kings camp but placing them last should be a real insult to them. Excited as it seems the 10 game season will really move the ladder round this year with each team shaping up pretty evenly. Keen for it to start.
Nice write up.

If one thing seems to be shifting for View it's fitness over the last couple of years. Seems to be becoming a standard for the program which will keep them in games and allow them to keep running for the entirety of the match and overcome some of the larger sides. Feels like a very Joeys of the 90s style. You're improvement needs are things that can be done which is a positive.

Feels like they are shaping up like last season through the trials which started out very scrappy and built into round 1.

Newington have all the weapons in the world and match up with most sides if you do a comparison. It's always been a question of what is a Newington Rugby plan? A win like that can give a lot of confidence regardless of names being out for Scots which is usually the rhetoric we hear from any Waverley loss.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
And that may be the problem.
Would be great to see a replay of the game. Lots of sideways movement, a poor kicking game, obvious issues in defense leaking so many points and an inability to score points. Lots to work on.
Plus the problem with such forward planning - next season injuries can and do happen, and when you write off a previous season in expectation of rewards in the next season - it unravels quickly.

TSC could have taken last season seriously, and been competitive - ultimately it is the players who suffer from such strategic naivety.

propsarespeedy

Ted Thorn (20)
Plus the problem with such forward planning - next season injuries can and do happen, and when you write off a previous season in expectation of rewards in the next season - it unravels quickly.

TSC could have taken last season seriously, and been competitive - ultimately it is the players who suffer from such strategic naivety.
It's pretty unfair to the boys of 2023 and the entire Scots program to claim that they "did not take the season seriously". These boys worked extremely hard and I assure you were trying to win the premiership, as every First XV team is. Obviously 3rd place isn't ideal, but it wasn't a write off. Injuries also didn't help the 2023 team.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's pretty unfair to the boys of 2023 and the entire Scots program to claim that they "did not take the season seriously". These boys worked extremely hard and I assure you were trying to win the premiership, as every First XV team is. Obviously 3rd place isn't ideal, but it wasn't a write off. Injuries also didn't help the 2023 team.
They did their best last year. Draw with Joeys and knocked off the eventual Premiers.

Think they performed to their level which put them in a great opportunity this season witch such a young side.