• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wrong state I know, but in my day (which would approximate yours IS) a new "Ballymore" footy was a thing of beauty and a dream to kick.

With those tan and white panels they looked great when you kicked torpedoes, and in those days that was pretty much every kick. Shit in the wet though.

I bought my son a new Gilbert yesterday, no excitement there I'm afraid.

What about the adidas wallaby ball?
wallaby.jpg

seemed a lot lighter but even worse in the wet.
I seem to recall TSC always using the ballymores (or did they use the steeden "wallaby") and being warned pre-match that they were not what we were used to.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
What about the adidas wallaby ball?
View attachment 4930
seemed a lot lighter but even worse in the wet.
I seem to recall TSC always using the ballymores (or did they use the steeden "wallaby") and being warned pre-match that they were not what we were used to.

Played with the Adidas balls a few times and remember how light they were, wasn't a fan.

I could be wrong but I have an idea that the " Wallaby" ball was from the same maker as the Ballymore.

My son plays AFL as well as rugby so we have a house full of leather Sherrins, now that's a footy ( when still fairly new at least).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Played with the Adidas balls a few times and remember how light they were, wasn't a fan.

I could be wrong but I have an idea that the " Wallaby" ball was from the same maker as the Ballymore.

My son plays AFL as well as rugby so we have a house full of leather Sherrins, now that's a footy ( when still fairly new at least).

loved them - I recall a couple of times saving up my pocket money to buy one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
They will be posted here tonight: http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/

and in the papers tomorrow.

If they selectors stick to the script, boys will be told by phone just before the team is formally released on the web site. I reckon that the papers deadline for printing is about 11:00pm, so the team list should be up by then.

Edit: It is nearly tomorrow and nothing is up on the web site as yet.

This is my Fonzie moment. I was wrrrr... ... ... I was wro.. ... ... wrrrr

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Was at Knox for plenty of games today (missed most of the ISA vs CAS game) but a few comments:

The GPS 2s would feel unlucky, downpour started as the walked out and effective the game pretty badly in terms of handling.

No real standouts from GPS 3s who went down, although Emery (Shore 9) was very good and was also impressed with Wingti (Joeys 4) who was rewarded with a run in 2s in which he played very well as did Bowditch (View 3)

In GPS 2s I thought the hype around Prichard (View 2) was very fair and thought he was up there with the best hookers of the day (CHS 2 Craig was outstanding, my tip for NSW 1s). Other good performers included Hayson, Woodhill (outstanding), O'Shea and Kennewell.

GPS 1s was a tight affair although Wright (Joeys 14) was very very good with some absolutely freakish runs. Menzies and Crichton were also solid as was McGregor at 10 and Freeman at 15

Inside scoop selection wise, I can confirm that Connor O'Shea from Joeys has got the NSW 1s 10 spot and I can only assume McGregor is the 2s 10 after his game today. In the 2s from Joeys Duffy (9) and Wright (14) got starting spots while McDonnell (12) got a bench spot. From View I know that Prichard (2) Peterson (5) and Freeman (15) also got starting spots, although both Freeman and Wright were injured today so they may not play

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At Curagul today, there was a Joeys Player wearing #21 in the AAGPS 2nd XV, and no one wearing #4.
Nathan Gittoes (J) was listed in the programme as the #4. Did Nathan play in the #21 jumper?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Teams announced by email. NSW Schools Web site to be announced in due course

AAGPS Selections in NSW are:

NSW 1
3. THP Vunipola FIFITA , Newington/GPS
4. RL Tobias RUDOLF , The Scots College/GPS
5. LL Tom PIRODDI , Newington/GPS
8. No 8 Angus CRICHTON , The Scots College/GPS
10. Fly half Connor O’SHEA , St Josephs College/GPS
11. Wing Sepsa TAROGI , Newington/GPS
13. OC Henry HUTCHISON , St Ignatius/GPS
15. FB Guy PORTER , The Scots College/GPS
17. LHP Hosea FOTUKAVA , St Ignatius/GPS

NSW 2
1. LHP Meline LAIMANI , Newington/GPS
2. H Evan PRITCHARD , St Ignatius/GPS
3. THP Jacob SEDGMAN , The Scots College/GPS
4. RL Nathanial GITTOES , St Josephs College/GPS
9. Half Nick DUFFY , St Josephs College/GPS
11. Wing Billy FREEMAN , St Ignatius/GPS
13. OC Simon KENNEWELL , Newington/GPS
14. Wing Tom WRIGHT , St Josephs College/GPS
15. FB Jack McGREGOR , St Ignatius/GPS
16. H Matt SERHON , Newington/GPS
19. L Beau PETTERSON , St Ignatius/GPS
20. BR Jun WOODHILL , Shore/GPS
21. Half Harry EMERY , Shore/GPS
22. IB Will McDONALD , St Josephs College/GPS

Shadow
6. BSF Jack HAYSON , St Ignatius/GPS
9. Half Theo STRANG , The Scots College/GPS

Combined States Team to be announced on Monday.

Click on the arrow in the circle on the green bar below for the NSW Schools Team announcement.
Apparently the NSW Schools website has had a fit. The various conveners have been asked to publish the below as widely as possible. I was forwarded this email last night. However, These teams will be in the papers this morning and all team members have been contacted by phone.
<snip>

Edit: H Emery (S) added to NSW II bench after a typo in the list circulated by email was corrected.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Part of the anti-Serhon campaign we've seen on this thread. Give it a rest guys.

Part of the anti-serhorn campaign or just saying they think they're both good players but one is a better player, the NSW schools selectors seem to think the same way as these people, maybe the selectors look at green and gold after all. This argument is officially over and the point has been proven for both sides.

WTG out

James Day

Stan Wickham (3)
Seemed to be a lot of talk about Hayson making NSW? Wasnt there at the game but reports on this forum were he was a standout. Was he robbed? Or just riverview boys blowing his horn?

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Seemed to be a lot of talk about Hayson making NSW? Wasnt there at the game but reports on this forum were he was a standout. Was he robbed? Or just riverview boys blowing his horn?

All back-rowers and reserves for NSW 1 and 2 are very very very strong, they could of had him in their but they obviously thought about it and came to the conclusion that the side they had put together was strong with out him, in my opinion his work-rate is ridiculously high which makes you have to have him in your team, no doubt he will be praying for the chance that he gets picked in Combined States, or if one of the back-rowers have picked up an injury and are unable to play in the competition.

James Day

Stan Wickham (3)
All back-rowers and reserves for NSW 1 and 2 are very very very strong, they could of had him in their but they obviously thought about it and came to the conclusion that the side they had put together was strong with out him, in my opinion his work-rate is ridiculously high which makes you have to have him in your team, no doubt he will be praying for the chance that he gets picked in Combined States, or if one of the back-rowers have picked up an injury and are unable to play in the competition.

whats the criteria to be picked in a combined states team? If he is a shadow for nsw does that mean he wouldnt be eligible to be picked?

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm struggling to understand the reasoning and selection of the GPS fullbacks amongst the NSW teams. Porter was 2s winger and has been elevated to NSW 1s fullback. Tarogi was GPS 2s fullback was outstanding and then promoted to GPS 1s on the wing before being selected as NSW 1s winger. Wright was electrifying in broken field play for GPS 1s on the wing and in the short chance he had at fullback and has been selected in a NSW 2s on the wing. Freeman again was very good for GPS 1s at fullback and has been selected on the wing for NSW 2s. From the outside it would seem Porter was considered the fourth best fullback in GPS, all the others "above him" excelled both in their time at the back and various times on the wing yet he was promoted past them all. Someone on here may have insights or a different perspective. Congrats to all the boys though on their selection. Definitely not suggesting Porter didn't deserve a spot.

P

Paul Randall Wight Jr.

I'm struggling to understand the reasoning and selection of the GPS fullbacks amongst the NSW teams. Porter was 2s winger and has been elevated to NSW 1s fullback. Tarogi was GPS 2s fullback was outstanding and then promoted to GPS 1s on the wing before being selected as NSW 1s winger. Wright was electrifying in broken field play for GPS 1s on the wing and in the short chance he had at fullback and has been selected in a NSW 2s on the wing. Freeman again was very good for GPS 1s at fullback and has been selected on the wing for NSW 2s. From the outside it would seem Porter was considered the fourth best fullback in GPS, all the others "above him" excelled both in their time at the back and various times on the wing yet he was promoted past them all. Someone on here may have insights or a different perspective. Congrats to all the boys though on their selection. Definitely not suggesting Porter didn't deserve a spot.

Porter was GPS 1s winger before suffering a shoulder injury. Perhaps his selection on the wing and not at fullback for the GPS 1s was a mistake of the GPS, rather than NSW making a mistake in selecting him to fill the custodian role...

James Day

Stan Wickham (3)

Its important to remember that selectors do not just watch the games that have been played over the past week. Considering that Scots had 2 big wins in their first 2 games and porter playing a large part in both wins his selection could be more than justified

Status
Not open for further replies.